AVS Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 6604 Posts

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
Mine also just updated, I wish you could find what the update does online or even better on the amp itself.
That would be nice, come up when you turn the unit on, explaining what is going to happen during the update, including but not limited to settings.....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Likely $200-$300 and the unit will have to be shipped to the factory repair center, United Radio, Syracuse, NY.
Price I can live with. Cost to ship from Canada would probably be the same or more. Hope they allow for the upgrade to be done at authorized service centres.

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Price I can live with. Cost to ship from Canada would probably be the same or more. Hope they allow for the upgrade to be done at authorized service centres.
Can't speak for what Denon Canada is going to do, but for units purchased in the USA, United Radio will be the only center doing the upgrade, just as was the case with the X7200WA upgrade.

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
Mine also just updated, I wish you could find what the update does online or even better on the amp itself.
Not sure if anything else was included, but near as I can tell, they corrected the missing bass issue Josh described back in December:

Now I turn IMAX mode on and things go kind of crazy.

Front = Large
Subwoofer = No

Barely any better. Only a tiny improvement in bass. I'm perplexed. All the bass should be going into my front speakers now. Where did it go?

To reassure myself that I'm not imagining this, I turn IMAX mode off. Yup, there's the bass. IMAX on, no bass. Huh?

·
Registered
193 Posts
3rd monitor

Ideally would like to add a 3rd small information/setup monitor (8"?) when receiver is in Network radio or stereo mode. (TV off and Projector off)
Tried plugging a small tv into third HDMI with no signal. If this isn't possible then is there output on the RGB component?

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Ideally would like to add a 3rd small information/setup monitor (8"?) when receiver is in Network radio or stereo mode. (TV off and Projector off)
Tried plugging a small tv into third HDMI with no signal. If this isn't possible then is there output on the RGB component?
The menu will only display over either Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 outputs, not the Zone 2 output nor component output.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For units purchased in the UK how would the HDMI 2.1 upgrade be for us lot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Was there a new firmware? I’m pretty I just updated a week or so ago. Maybe it failed and it applied it again?
I’m on 7300-0114-1141-5005

Any news on the hdmi 2.1 upgrade?

Here is the changelog for the update.

■ 2019/04/24

【Version: 7300-0114-1141-5005】

(1) We have improved the quality of specifications for custom installers.

■ 2019/04/17

【Version: 7300-0114-1131-5005】

(1) Fixed a bug related to Auto Lip Sync when connected to an eARC compatible TV.
(2) Fixed a bug related to Hide Input.
(3) Fixed the bug that Subwoofer is output by mistake when a specific Speaker setting is made.
(4) Fixed a bug in the Amazon Music operation screen.
(5) It became possible to display the input source icon in HEOS App.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Started to use the Denon 8500 remote to control my Blu-ray player
tried quite a few buttons without any success so is there a button that will open and close my Blu-ray player tray?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Phono input quality

Maybe not a biggie on this but just comparing the supplied Phono input on my 8500 to my modified Rotel RQ870BX and an Unmodified stock version.

Shocked to find it sounds better than my stock Rotel RQ970BX which is a well recognised Phono Pre-amp.
Almost as good as my modified Rotel RQ970BX and Yaqin MS22 LesBox Modified.
The one on my Yamaha RX 3040 was awful by comparison as is the opinion on AVR built in Phono stages

So anyone using the Phono Input on the 8500 should be happy with it as it is.

Source used Technics SL1210 Timestep P/S KAB Damper Reson Reca

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Your phono stages have a "sound" to them? A good amp doesn't impart a sound of it's own so one of them must be coloring the sound.

I tried a popular external phono amp with my Carver C-5 preamp to compare with its own MM stage and at matched output levels, I sure as heck couldn't hear any difference. I went back to using the Carver input as that left more regular inputs for other devices.

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Started to use the Denon 8500 remote to control my Blu-ray player
tried quite a few buttons without any success so is there a button that will open and close my Blu-ray player tray?
Although not a stock button feature with the X8500H remote, if your Blu-Ray player remote control has an EJECT button, then you should be able to use the "Operating Learning Function" (p. 276 USA manual) to teach the X8500H remote control the EJECT button.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Although not a stock button feature with the X8500H remote, if your Blu-Ray player remote control has an EJECT button, then you should be able to use the "Operating Learning Function" (p. 276 USA manual) to teach the X8500H remote control the EJECT button.
Thanks for the confirmation regarding a stock button JD
As suggested once I decide which button to use I will use the "Operating Learning Function" :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I assumed it would be world wide I mean it would be pretty stupid not giving half of the users the hdmi 2.1 upgrade

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Thanks for the confirmation regarding a stock button JD
As suggested once I decide which button to use I will use the "Operating Learning Function" :)
Just an update
in the end I opted for opening the tray using the Alexa voice command for my Blu-ray player and then using the Denon remote for BR disc playback

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Totally new to this thread, so I apologize, in advance, if this question has been previously asked. My current HT speaker set-up includes the ability to separately use front heights (for DTS:X/NeuralX) or front top (for Dolby Atmos/DSU) by means of an A/B speaker switch to the Yamaha 3050 AVR front presence speaker pre-outs (via outboard amplifier). This makes use of the Yamaha's ability to set 2 different speaker configurations in its memory and call them up via the remote's "scene" buttons.

I'm interested in upgrading to the Denon 8500. I'm considering connecting the DTS front height speakers to (for example) height #1 and then assigning them as "front height" and connecting the Atmos in-ceiling speakers to height #2 and assigning them as "front top". My question is whether the 8500 will correctly play DTS front presence sounds from only the height #1 speakers and play Atmos front presence sounds only from the height #2 speakers or whether the AVR will play front presence sounds from ALL 4 front "presence" speakers, irrespective or Atmos or DTS:X. In my current setting, the proper speakers carry the relevant front presence information because I can select both the correct speaker configuration and physical speakers (via the switch box). I really don't want to spend the $$$ on this AVR if it means taking a step backwards with regards to discrete speaker imaging.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,020
You can't do what you describe with the Denon. Unlike the Yamaha with its different "scene" presets the Denon doesn't accommodate this functionality.

It won't even let you have Front Height and Top Front both active at the same time.

What most people do is use the Audyssey App to save two different profiles, one with "Front Height + Rear Height" and the other with "Top Front + Top Rear" (leaving aside any other height speakers for the sake of simplicity). Note that the "height" location of DTS:X is actually physically close to the same location as the "top" speaker in Atmos, so people generally aren't physically switching the speakers as you are, but simply remapping the label.

4001 - 4020 of 6604 Posts