AVS Forum banner

5701 - 5720 of 7004 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
As the switches are operated via WI-FI (Mobile app or Alexa) NO front buttons or switches are necessary, and I let the box front as is.

I didn't know if the aluminium box could block the WI-FI signal, and I was afraid of that. But fortunately they work very well and connect quickly when powering ON.

I attach some more pictures of the Box and a Full view of the Room when you can see the switch box in the equipment rack on the left, just below the 8500, with its bland white front. I have not yet put an interesting picture on the front.

Amazing “switch” and great looking HT.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
As the switches are operated via WI-FI (Mobile app or Alexa) NO front buttons or switches are necessary, and I let the box front as is.

I didn't know if the aluminium box could block the WI-FI signal, and I was afraid of that. But fortunately they work very well and connect quickly when powering ON.

I attach some more pictures of the Box and a Full view of the Room when you can see the switch box in the equipment rack on the left, just below the 8500, with its bland white front. I have not yet put an interesting picture on the front.
Very nice - I see you put your signature on it. It was a lot of work, and you should be very proud of yourself. :)

Reactions: AYanguas

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

That switchbox is wild. I like it. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
That switchbox is wild. I like it. :)
Thank you. I have learned a lot from all of you, when I was planning and designing for the HT.

I learned from you, MagnumX, the trick of the Dialog lift with the pre-out C-CH, mixer and external Amp. That's why the switchbox output of CH is missing (if you look at the rear binding posts picture), as the CH speaker is feed from Pre-out-mixer-external Amp, and the 8500 Height Amp output is not used.

I only knew about Atmos, but then I learned the existence of DTS:X and specially of Auro-3D, particularly worthwhile for music, as I read from many of you.

I decided to implement all of that, with all Speakers in their "canonical" positions according to the recommendations.

But the most valuable help, I have to mention here, has been from my Wife, who let me put 18 speakers all around the Living Room and help me to pull all Speaker, HDMI and network cables through the whole house, from the kitchen to the HT, and to the office where there is the PC and NAS Server.

A very High WAF factor!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You have put forward an excellent argument for running Audyssey, and then trusting it to handle whatever music or video source is running. That works especially well for a guy like me who usually messes things up when I try to tweak my AVR.

I am having difficulty understanding one sentence of your post:

"all volume metrics are applied after the DAC's at one time within a digitally controlled analogue volume control in the pre-amp stage."

I probably should, but can't seem to make sense of what you are saying in that string of words. It is probably a straight forward description, but I am unable to get a handle on it. Could you reword or elaborate for me?
I'll have a go at this. The DACs generate the analogue output after all the digital decoding/processing etc is done. So on the DAC output we're looking at a collection of now analogue signals in the preamp stage. There are digital controls that can be applied to these analogue pre-amps to control the gain on a per channel basis. This is where the channel level adjustments specified by Audessy (and any subsequent modification you may make) are applied. This controls the amplitude of the signal that is now presented to the power amps.
Ok very nice. I get it. I was forgetting the job of the DAC. Your explanation helped me remember. Thanks
Alanlee: Apologies for being slow to respond. Looking back, I was trying to say too many things at once in that sentence so it was difficult to understand. Glad to see you've got it now.

avsngaiouser: Thanks for stepping in and answering. Couldn't have put it better myself. :)

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Well, I just joined the ranks of 8500 owners. It will be curious to see how shipping works out in these interesting times. Can't wait to hook up 7.1.6 and see what happens.

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thank you. I have learned a lot from all of you, when I was planning and designing for the HT.

I learned from you, MagnumX, the trick of the Dialog lift with the pre-out C-CH, mixer and external Amp. That's why the switchbox output of CH is missing (if you look at the rear binding posts picture), as the CH speaker is feed from Pre-out-mixer-external Amp, and the 8500 Height Amp output is not used.

I only knew about Atmos, but then I learned the existence of DTS:X and specially of Auro-3D, particularly worthwhile for music, as I read from many of you.

I decided to implement all of that, with all Speakers in their "canonical" positions according to the recommendations.

But the most valuable help, I have to mention here, has been from my Wife, who let me put 18 speakers all around the Living Room and help me to pull all Speaker, HDMI and network cables through the whole house, from the kitchen to the HT, and to the office where there is the PC and NAS Server.

A very High WAF factor!
My girlfriend will hang me on if put 18 speakers in the leaving room.
Lucky bastard :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a general question for you? I wonder if you are getting where you would like to be volume wise? I know there is no "receiver" to support my setup, I had to add some amps. 1000 Watt Mono Block Red Dragon Audio to be exact for my front mains anyway for 2 channel needs.

Unfortunately I'm struggling too with the volume of the AVR-X8500. Under normal conditions it is ok, but when there is Metallica or Roger Waters in Atmos, the receivers boiles over, starts sending smoke signals and switches off.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Talvez seja hora de pensar em alternativas.

Unfortunately I'm struggling too with the volume of the AVR-X8500. Under normal conditions it is ok, but when there is Metallica or Roger Waters in Atmos, the receivers boiles over, starts sending smoke signals and switches off.
I am going to take a shot at this Caesar, and I hope I don't offend you. I don't think any AVR is made to play Metallica all out. I respect that you like loud music: who doesn't? Nevertheless, you might consider looking for a used at least three channel external amp (plugged to the 8500) to handle your Left, Right, Center (LCR). If you blow those amps, just buy more.

I have an Emotiva amp that does exactly that, and my 8500 does not heat up. However I also have fans on top the 8500, and you have said you are not able to get those right now.

I bought the 8500 to last 10 years, so I have probably gone further than I need to protect the amps. I just think your 8500 is not made to handle your audio needs, and you should give it some help.

Just Saying
Alanlee

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Caesar, at what level (+/-dBMV) are you listening to Metallica or RW when this behaviour happens? What LCR speakers are you running (sorry if I missed it) and at what approx listening distance?

Have you got ECO mode set to Auto or Off and the speaker impedance selector at the (default) 8Ω setting?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Caesar, at what level (+/-dBMV) are you listening to Metallica or RW when this behaviour happens? What LCR speakers are you running (sorry if I missed it) and at what approx listening distance?

Have you got ECO mode set to Auto or Off and the speaker impedance selector at the (default) 8Ω setting?
Where is the speakers selector impedance in the menu, i never seen this option?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Where is the speakers selector impedance in the menu, i never seen this option?

Try here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carry out the following settings when using a speaker with an impedance of 4 – 6 Ω/ohms.

Press and hold the main unit’s STATUS and ZONE3 SOURCE at the same time for at least 3 seconds.
“ * Video Format ” appears on the display.

Use UP or Down on the main unit three times.
“ * Sp. Impedance ” appears on the display.

Use Left or Right on the main unit to select the impedance.
8ohms
(De*fault):

Select when the impedance for all of the connected speakers is 8 Ω/ohms or over.

6ohms:

Select when the impedance for any of the connected speakers is 6 Ω/ohms.

4ohms:

Select when the impedance for any of the connected speakers is 4 Ω/ohms.

Press the main unit’s ENTER to complete the setting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its worth checking - but I recall JD recommends ALWAYS leaving at the default 8ohms regardless - as it will only limit the voltage available otherwise.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am going to take a shot at this Caesar, and I hope I don't offend you. I don't think any AVR is made to play Metallica all out. I respect that you like loud music: who doesn't? Nevertheless, you might consider looking for a used at least three channel external amp (plugged to the 8500) to handle your Left, Right, Center (LCR). If you blow those amps, just buy more.

Hi Alanlee,

No offence taken...hehe...no worries! ;)
If I connect additional amps, the atmos config is out of balance and that's the last thing I want.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Hi Giegar,

I set the system up in Audyssey, I checked and no levels go above 0dB.
Eco mode was set Off, I'm trying again with On. I set a volume level limit to 80 and when going above 70, it just stops and turns off. Scary when that happens! :frown:
Here is my set-up:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2952014-5-1-4-speaker-placement-help.html#post58641428

Impedance is set to 8Ohm.

Cheers
Caesar

·
Registered
433 Posts
Instructions are here in the on-line manual: http://manuals.denon.com/AVCX8500H/EU/EN/DRDZSYrhoargxb.php.

Leave it set at 8Ω though, regardless of the nominal impedance of your speakers.
Thanks bud, just checking if its was set properly.
When you using a 5 channel power amp, is it recommend to have the eco mode on or auto or off?
Any other things suggested like using the custom mode?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I set the system up in Audyssey, I checked and no levels go above 0dB.
Eco mode was set Off, I'm trying again with On. I set a volume level limit to 80 and when going above 70, it just stops and turns off. Scary when that happens! :frown:
Here is my set-up:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2952014-5-1-4-speaker-placement-help.html#post58641428

Impedance is set to 8Ohm.
Nice set of speakers there Caesar. Nothing in their specifications that rings any alarm bells... reasonable sensitivity and impedance of "4...8" (whatever that means). Your X8500H looks well ventilated there on top of the entertainment unit too. I'm just about out of ideas as to why it's playing up above (70) -12dBMV... it should be cruising through to at least 0.0dBMV (where your speakers would likely be feeling the pinch). Are you crossing over all speakers to your sub at 80Hz or higher?

ECO mode set to On will make the situation worse, please don't do that. From here:

Eco Mode and Amp Mode
... A note of caution: We suggest setting eco mode to “auto” or “off.” Never force eco mode into “on” or you’ll starve your speakers of power!

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Nice set of speakers there Caesar. Nothing in their specifications that rings any alarm bells... reasonable sensitivity and impedance of "4...8" (whatever that means). Your X8500H looks well ventilated there on top of the entertainment unit too. I'm just about out of ideas as to why it's playing up above (70) -12dBMV... it should be cruising through to at least 0.0dBMV (where your speakers would likely be feeling the pinch). Are you crossing over all speakers to your sub at 80Hz or higher?

ECO mode set to On will make the situation worse, please don't do that. From here:
The impedance of "4...8" probably means the impedance varies from 4 to 8 ohms depending on the frequency. Most speakers will vary, they're not like a resistor which at low frequencies has a set value under most operating conditions but speakers have inductive and capacitive elements which do vary with frequency.

5701 - 5720 of 7004 Posts