AVS Forum banner

5721 - 5740 of 6997 Posts

·
Premium Member
88,836 Posts
ECO mode set to On will make the situation worse, please don't do that.
Perhaps for the OP, but in general, any negative impact will greatly depend on the sensitivity and impedance of the speakers as I've always used ECO Mode = ON (resulting in reduction of AVR temp of 10F) on various Denon models for years with my 92dB/8-ohm speakers at volume levels up to -10dB with no negative impact or distortion. ;)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Thanks bud, just checking if its was set properly.
When you using a 5 channel power amp, is it recommend to have the eco mode on or auto or off?
Any other things suggested like using the custom mode?
If ALL of your speakers are running off your 5 channel power amp, you can enable pre-amp mode. Pre-amp mode is the only scenario in which setting ECO mode to On is suggested.

If the X8500H is powering one or more of your speakers, ECO mode set to Auto or Off is appropriate. There's an Audioholics discussion on ECO mode halfway down the page here.

For custom amp assign guidance, see the matrix at the bottom of post 2.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
À reminder for those using the ECO mode set to AUTO (which is what I do). It only kicks in if the volume is set to -30db or below. As soon as your volume goes above that, ECO mode is not active (same as ECO Off).

So if you're like me and rarely go naturally that low, make sure that you set your volume to -30db or less on power ON, and whenever you're not using the AVR for a while (or are using headphones), so that you actually save some power while the AVR is ON, until you start playing something.

The can be achieved by setting the default level to -30db (or less) when the AVR starts, or by using a command in iRule or similar to set it to that level whenever appropriate.

Otherwise, ECO set to AUTO makes no difference whatsoever, to power use or to audio quality. It's the same as if it was set to off.

If you want to save power all the time, including at volume levels above -30db, there is nothing wrong setting it to ON, but it does impact power use and AQ all the time.

It's one of my minor pet peeves with this feature, I think the threshold should be user defined if it's to be as low as -30db.

Otherwise, it works great and I save a lot of power when the AVR has to be on but isn't in use, for example when browsing to choose content or when I use headphones to watch something.

For long video calibrating sessions, I prefer to switch it off entirely with the video in passthrough, that saves even more power obviously.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you want to save power all the time, including at volume levels above -30db, there is nothing wrong setting it to ON, but it does impact power use and AQ all the time.

I don't care much about the power usage as long as the receiver is not going off into smoke or overheats or switches off at a volume level above 70. That is more important to me than saving $10.00/month on power consumption.

What should I set the ECO Mode under these circumstances?
Please bear in mind the temperature at my place goes barely below 27°C.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The impedance of "4...8" probably means the impedance varies from 4 to 8 ohms depending on the frequency. Most speakers will vary, they're not like a resistor which at low frequencies has a set value under most operating conditions but speakers have inductive and capacitive elements which do vary with frequency.
Thanks Ken, I'm well aware of the frequency variant nature of loudspeaker impedance and that manufacturers commonly provide a nominal (representative) impedance rating.

My "(whatever that means)" aside referred to Canton seemingly giving a range of nominal impedance: "Impedanz [no qualifiers] 4…8 Ohm", which is meaningless.

No speaker has an impedance that ranges from 4Ω to 8Ω. Most conventional speakers have an impedance that varies over about a 10:1 ratio. It's the minimum impedance that's important as it determines whether an amplifier can adequately handle the load. On average, a speaker rated at 4Ω will have a minimum impedance no less than 2.8Ω, while a speaker rated at 8Ω will have a minimum impedance no less than 5.6Ω.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Any negative impact will greatly depend on the sensitivity and impedance of the speakers as I've always used ECO Mode = ON on various Denon models for years with my 92dB/8-ohm speakers at volume levels up to -10dB with no negative impact or distortion. ;)
That's not surprising, you have at least a 4 - 5dB/1W/1m sensitivity advantage over Caesar's Canton A's, meaning all else being equal, he requires 2.5 - 3.2 times the power to play at any given level.

His unit is overheating and shutting down beyond -12dBMV on some content, so it makes sense to remove ECO mode as a potential confounding variable when attempting to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
18,628 Posts
I am going to take a shot at this Caesar, and I hope I don't offend you. I don't think any AVR is made to play Metallica all out. I respect that you like loud music: who doesn't? Nevertheless, you might consider looking for a used at least three channel external amp (plugged to the 8500) to handle your Left, Right, Center (LCR). If you blow those amps, just buy more.

I have an Emotiva amp that does exactly that, and my 8500 does not heat up. However I also have fans on top the 8500, and you have said you are not able to get those right now.

I bought the 8500 to last 10 years, so I have probably gone further than I need to protect the amps. I just think your 8500 is not made to handle your audio needs, and you should give it some help.

Just Saying
Alanlee
Same here. I have 13 - 4 ohm Martin Logan Motion speakers ( 9.x.4 ), and I do use a Parasound A 52+ to run the W / L / C / R / W speakers. I also have an AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fan on the X8500 and the Parasound. But, neither one ever gets more than a little warm even watching war movies at reference + 2 for over 2 hours ( I've had some damn loud movie nights ). Adding the Parasound has made everything sound cleaner ( for lack of a better word ). Running 6 subwoofers doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,729
So if I have the Fronts with 4 Ohm and the Backs with 6 Ohm, I should keep the receiver to the 8 Ohm setting?
Always use the 8 Ohm setting. Using the 4 Ohm setting is like locking your receiver into permanent "ECO" mode and severely limiting the current capabilities of the amp section.

It doesn't actually improve performance with low Ohm speakers, it just limits the rail voltage on the amps to prevent overheating so they could pass the UL certification and be able to claim "4 Ohm speaker support!" on marketing literature without getting sued.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
AC Infinity Rocks

Same here. I have 13 - 4 ohm Martin Logan Motion speakers ( 9.x.4 ), and I do use a Parasound A 52+ to run the W / L / C / R / W speakers. I also have an AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fan on the X8500 and the Parasound. But, neither one ever gets more than a little warm even watching war movies at reference + 2 for over 2 hours ( I've had some damn loud movie nights ). Adding the Parasound has made everything sound cleaner ( for lack of a better word ). Running 6 subwoofers doesn't hurt either.
I like those fans. They can be configured and they run silent.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,628 Posts
I like those fans. They can be configured and they run silent.
They are quiet. And they are a clean design. Plus, you can customize the programming and turn the display off too. And they aren't too pricey. I like keeping my electronics as cool as possible. These fans were a great discovery.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Always use the 8 Ohm setting. Using the 4 Ohm setting is like locking your receiver into permanent "ECO" mode and severely limiting the current capabilities of the amp section.

It doesn't actually improve performance with low Ohm speakers, it just limits the rail voltage on the amps to prevent overheating so they could pass the UL certification and be able to claim "4 Ohm speaker support!" on marketing literature without getting sued.
So is this a general statement or only applicable to the Denon8500h?

·
Registered
193 Posts
They are quiet. And they are a clean design. Plus, you can customize the programming and turn the display off too. And they aren't too pricey. I like keeping my electronics as cool as possible. These fans were a great discovery.
Yes. I discover those fans here in this forum. I think it's a must after paying a relative big amount for the 8500

Attachments

Reactions: Matt2026

·
Registered
18,628 Posts
Yes. I discover those fans here in this forum. I think it's a must after paying a relative big amount for the 8500
Especially helpful with gear in an equipment rack !

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I noticed that there is also an S8 rather than the T8. Would this work as well? It just doesn't have the digital display in the front so probably doesn't allow for as much control but if the goal is just for cooling, I'm wondering if these will work?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is this the t9 or s9?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
It is the T9, that has more programming possibilities. You can optimise programming to keep lower speed fan, almost noiseless, and it stops most of the time if not too hot. In case more hot the high speed fans make some noise but it cools quickly the 8500.

It's nice to lift it up, touch the top of the 8500 after a two hour session, and notice that it is almost cool, as if you powered on just some minutes ago. In my case (not inside a rack cabinet) it exhaust the air to the free top.

I understand that, if not other problems, this will prolong the life of the AVR.

Reactions: Toto84

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,740
I noticed that there is also an S8 rather than the T8. Would this work as well? It just doesn't have the digital display in the front so probably doesn't allow for as much control but if the goal is just for cooling, I'm wondering if these will work?
I use the S9 model (top exhaust), IMO it's a waste of money to pay more for the T series. The difference is the digital display and more customizable programming options, but for the simple task of "sit there and turn on the fan at low speed when the AVR gets warm" that's not necessary. The auto mode on the S series if perfectly fine, you can limit the max fan speed so it doesn't get noisy and it has never failed to keep my 8500 cool even when working hard.

Frankly if you don't care about the aesthetics of the equal width, you can get the cheaper 12" wide S series models. Of course, this being the X8500H thread, most people aren't going to sweat an extra $30-40 on the fan to get a fancy digital display.

Reactions: lujan
5721 - 5740 of 6997 Posts