AVS Forum banner

5741 - 5760 of 6997 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
It is the T9, that has more programming possibilities. You can optimise programming to keep lower speed fan, almost noiseless, and it stops most of the time if not too hot. In case more hot the high speed fans make some noise but it cools quickly the 8500.

It's nice to lift it up, touch the top of the 8500 after a two hour session, and notice that it is almost cool, as if you powered on just some minutes ago. In my case (not inside a rack cabinet) it exhaust the air to the free top.

I understand that, if not other problems, this will prolong the life of the AVR.
How strong are the fans? Can you feel them from about 2 feet away? I've been thinking of picking up the front firing model but my 8500 is only about 2 feet away from the edge of my couch that my dog likes to lay at. I don't really want her getting blasted in the face all night.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I use the S9 model (top exhaust), IMO it's a waste of money to pay more for the T series. The difference is the digital display and more customizable programming options, but for the simple task of "sit there and turn on the fan at low speed when the AVR gets warm" that's not necessary. The auto mode on the S series if perfectly fine, you can limit the max fan speed so it doesn't get noisy and it has never failed to keep my 8500 cool even when working hard.

Frankly if you don't care about the aesthetics of the equal width, you can get the cheaper 12" wide S series models. Of course, this being the X8500H thread, most people aren't going to sweat an extra $30-40 on the fan to get a fancy digital display.
I need the rear exhaust because there is not much room on top of the X8500H but the S8 seems just fine. I really don't need another device that requires programming, etc. or that has another light in front of it even if you can dim it or turn it off.

·
Registered
293 Posts
So the 10 is front, 9 is top, 8 is rear for exhaust.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No, they each have a rear, top and front model. I believe the difference between 10, 9 and 8 are features.
S (no display) and T (display) are features. 10/9/8 are exhaust direction.

Reactions: lujan

·
Registered
193 Posts
How strong are the fans? Can you feel them from about 2 feet away? I've been thinking of picking up the front firing model but my 8500 is only about 2 feet away from the edge of my couch that my dog likes to lay at. I don't really want her getting blasted in the face all night.
2 feet is too near I'm affraid. In my top exhaust directtion when I put the hand at that distance over, I almost dont notice at speed 1, but I notice clearly at speed 2. Tested now when the air is cold. When the AVR reach its operational temperature, you feel the air hot even if fans are stopped, because the warm air goes up.

If the air is blowing horizontally it will be different, as the hot air will go up, and at 2 feet distance you will not receive it fully, but a great percentage.

The speeds are from 1 to 6

Perhaps, for your dog you would need some kind of deflector panel to deviate that blowing hot air. Or the dog would look for another place....

Reactions: DesertDog

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
2 feet is too near I'm affraid. In my top exhaust directtion when I put the hand at that distance over, I almost dont notice at speed 1, but I notice clearly at speed 2. Tested now when the air is cold. When the AVR reach its operational temperature, you feel the air hot even if fans are stopped, because the warm air goes up.

If the air is blowing horizontally it will be different, as the hot air will go up, and at 2 feet distance you will not receive it fully, but a great percentage.

The speeds are from 1 to 6

Perhaps, for your dog you would need some kind of deflector panel to deviate that blowing hot air. Or the dog would look for another place....
Thanks, I'll go with the rear vent one. It's open to the back but only a few inches from the wall. I was thinking of the front one to give it more room to breath but that much air movement won't work.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Connection Problems with Internet Radio?

I just got an AVR-X6500H to replace the AVR-4800 that went silent on me. When setting up the unit, I did not get Internet Radio to work. I searched the web later, and tried a couple of things that I found to see if I could get it to work after the fact. Nope. Still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem? I have an Apple Airport Extreme, but I'm connecting the AVR via Ethernet, so that shouldn't matter, right? I've read through the various threads on site and didn't see anything. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
88,836 Posts
I just got an AVR-X6500H to replace the AVR-4800 that went silent on me. When setting up the unit, I did not get Internet Radio to work. I searched the web later, and tried a couple of things that I found to see if I could get it to work after the fact. Nope. Still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem? I have an Apple Airport Extreme, but I'm connecting the AVR via Ethernet, so that shouldn't matter, right? I've read through the various threads on site and didn't see anything. Thanks!
This is the X8500H thread. The X6500H is discussed in the 2018 Denon AVR Owner's thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2973392-official-2018-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-8-a.html

·
Registered
423 Posts
Reactions: Matt2026

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Personally use a T10, need the front fans. I use it on fan speed 1 to keep my 8500 at 92-95oF.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I use the S9 model (top exhaust), IMO it's a waste of money to pay more for the T series. The difference is the digital display and more customizable programming options, but for the simple task of "sit there and turn on the fan at low speed when the AVR gets warm" that's not necessary. The auto mode on the S series if perfectly fine, you can limit the max fan speed so it doesn't get noisy and it has never failed to keep my 8500 cool even when working hard.

Frankly if you don't care about the aesthetics of the equal width, you can get the cheaper 12" wide S series models. Of course, this being the X8500H thread, most people aren't going to sweat an extra $30-40 on the fan to get a fancy digital display.
I placed the order today for the S8 but shipping is indicating 3 weeks from now. :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use 3 Aircom T10 fan, 1 on my AVR-X8500 in the living room. In the home theater, 1 on my AV8805 and 1 on the POA-A1HD amp.
I also have an Airplate S9 / T9 set with wall indicator.
I had problems with my previous processor which did not have a fan.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here are my 2 Cents to the cooling system...
I looked at the Infinity Aircom units too but reading the reviews and comments on Amazon, it turned me away from them. There are several people who bought them and complained about the noise level. They might not make any noise when the units are not hot. But they mentioned when watching movies with quiet passages, they can hear them and it disturbs them. So I digged a bit deeper and experimented with a 140mm PC housing fan. You can't hear them at all, never! I use one of those:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01HTM0FJM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1A61ZWPD3ONW0&psc=1
Their lifespan is 20% longer than those of the Aircom unit fans (better and quieter bearings), their noise level is 8.6dB at full throttle, compare to 22.5dB of the Aircom units! I have a foot switch next to the 8500 and when I turn up the volume, I just turn it on. But of course you can run them at all times without any disturbance. I will get 2 more of them since the heatsinks of the amp are sitting at the front left and right side. So one fan will go into the middle and the other two to the left and right sucking the air up to the top. With this set-up you don't even have to turn them on while listening at a volume of up to 45 since air passes through them. The Aircom units have to be turned on at any time since they are sitting right on top of the housing and no air passes through unless turned on.
Someone mentioned to get the smaller sized Aircom unit. Don't do that since the heatsinks of the amps are sitting to the far left and right and it most likely wont be sufficient.
I don't care about the money saved, but for someone on a budget, a saving of 50 bucks might help getting a couple new Blu Rays instead.

Cheers
Caesar

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am very satisfied with the Aircom T10 (air forward).
My systems are built into the wall and all the components are one on top of the other. It takes me a good ventilation system. In addition, the T10 has the same shape as the Marantz devices.
My setting is at 26 ° C (79 ° F), the alarm at 40 ° C (104 ° F).
The only time I heard the fans was after 4 hours of listening at high volume (-10 db).

Reactions: Matt2026

·
Registered
18,628 Posts
I looked at the Infinity Aircom units too but reading the reviews and comments on Amazon, it turned me away from them. There are several people who bought them and complained about the noise level. They might not make any noise when the units are not hot. But they mentioned when watching movies with quiet passages, they can hear them and it disturbs them. So I digged a bit deeper and experimented with a 140mm PC housing fan. You can't hear them at all, never! I use one of those:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01HTM0FJM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1A61ZWPD3ONW0&psc=1
Their lifespan is 20% longer than those of the Aircom unit fans (better and quieter bearings), their noise level is 8.6dB at full throttle, compare to 22.5dB of the Aircom units! I have a foot switch next to the 8500 and when I turn up the volume, I just turn it on. But of course you can run them at all times without any disturbance. I will get 2 more of them since the heatsinks of the amp are sitting at the front left and right side. So one fan will go into the middle and the other two to the left and right sucking the air up to the top. With this set-up you don't even have to turn them on while listening at a volume of up to 45 since air passes through them. The Aircom units have to be turned on at any time since they are sitting right on top of the housing and no air passes through unless turned on.
Someone mentioned to get the smaller sized Aircom unit. Don't do that since the heatsinks of the amps are sitting to the far left and right and it most likely wont be sufficient.
I don't care about the money saved, but for someone on a budget, a saving of 50 bucks might help getting a couple new Blu Rays instead.

Cheers
Caesar

My Aircom units are quiet even after a 2 hour movie. Mine are just a couple of feet behind my seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Old School Rack

^^^Nice setup ;)That's quite the rack ;)
Thanks - Here is a pix of the whole rack. Also a pix of the AC Infinity multi-fans mounted on a Denon 5200 in the garage. I need to work on those wires. But then again, lots of garage time lately.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Thanks - Here is a pix of the whole rack. Also a pix of the AC Infinity multi-fans mounted on a Denon 5200 in the garage. I need to work on those wires. But then again, lots of garage time lately.
I really like your shelving, looks like you have great air circulation :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I looked at the Infinity Aircom units too but reading the reviews and comments on Amazon, it turned me away from them. There are several people who bought them and complained about the noise level. They might not make any noise when the units are not hot. But they mentioned when watching movies with quiet passages, they can hear them and it disturbs them.
Yes it makes some little noise when the fans goes above speed 2 or so. I also read that comments on amazon, but as I have a Projector, and the fan of the Projector makes much more noise, and I have to live with it, then I had no doubt. I went for the T9, yes a little more expensive, but I like very much to see the display and confirm that all the time the temperature are in the range of 31-33 ºC

So I digged a bit deeper and experimented with a 140mm PC housing fan. You can't hear them at all, never! I use one of those:

I also considered that alternative as I have been using NOCTUA low noise fans for PC builds for several years. I have put one Noctua fan over my WD NAS, less than one meter at my right side on my PC desk, and no noise at all.

But in the end, the Infinity Aircom looks so well in the Home Cinema rack...

Reactions: Alanlee

·
Registered
3,920 Posts

Their lifespan is 20% longer than those of the Aircom unit fans (better and quieter bearings), their noise level is 8.6dB at full throttle, compare to 22.5dB of the Aircom units! I have a foot switch next to the 8500 and when I turn up the volume, I just turn it on. But of course you can run them at all times without any disturbance. I will get 2 more of them since the heatsinks of the amp are sitting at the front left and right side.

Hmmm, let's see-- (8.6dB x 3) = 25.8dB > 22.5dB.:eek:

Don't get me wrong; although I love my AIRCOM T8, there are any number of other effective (and cheaper) ways to provide adequate ventilation for heat-producing components. But if the maximum noise level is your driving concern, it does not appear that the solution you have chosen is the best way to go.:)

Note also that most of the AIRCOM units have automatically adjusted speed levels corresponding to the temperature reduction requirements and the lower the speed, the lesser the noise level. I would venture to say that most of us seldom if ever run our fans at maximum speed and thus they hardly approach the max, which in the case of my T8 would be 24dB.

For me, the deciding factor (after effectiveness and noise dampening) was features and aesthetics. That made my decision to go with the AIRCOM Infinity very easy.:)

5741 - 5760 of 6997 Posts