AVS Forum banner

5761 - 5780 of 7006 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
when I got my 8500 (located in free space) I was shocked at how hot it got and it was definitely a concern

I fully appreciate the advice and reason around the 8 ohm v 4 ohm setting but I have always found that with every AVR I have owned whether it was Yamaha Onkyo or Denon by setting the AVR to 4 ohms other than making it run cooler every time my speakers seem to just sound better

That said I now cannot ignore the advice being given by trusted members @jdsmoothie and @batpig and I am going to have to seriously consider getting a AC infinity unit and switch back to the 8 ohms setting

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,762
Remember the ECO mode leverages the same rail voltage limiting as the 4ohm setting to reduce heat and power consumption. So if you’re concerned about heat and don’t crank it super loud just use ECO mode.

Reactions: Bejoy and JD23

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Remember the ECO mode leverages the same rail voltage limiting as the 4ohm setting to reduce heat and power consumption. So if you’re concerned about heat and don’t crank it super loud just use ECO mode.
Thanks for the reply
my normal MVC is -10
I also use a 5ch Emotiva XPA G2 but even on a open shelf and no airflow restriction the AVR was still getting hot

·
Vendor
27,467 Posts
I placed the order today for the S8 but shipping is indicating 3 weeks from now. :eek:
Ya, some things seem to be effected and some things are not do to the current situation.

Thanks - Here is a pix of the whole rack. Also a pix of the AC Infinity multi-fans mounted on a Denon 5200 in the garage. I need to work on those wires. But then again, lots of garage time lately.
When this is all over I am sure we will look back and be like, why did I not do this or that, I had the time.....

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Hmmm, let's see-- (8.6dB x 3) = 25.8dB > 22.5dB.:eek:

Don't get me wrong; although I love my AIRCOM T8, there are any number of other effective (and cheaper) ways to provide adequate ventilation for heat-producing components. But if the maximum noise level is your driving concern, it does not appear that the solution you have chosen is the best way to go.:)

Note also that most of the AIRCOM units have automatically adjusted speed levels corresponding to the temperature reduction requirements and the lower the speed, the lesser the noise level. I would venture to say that most of us seldom if ever run our fans at maximum speed and thus they hardly approach the max, which in the case of my T8 would be 24dB.

For me, the deciding factor (after effectiveness and noise dampening) was features and aesthetics. That made my decision to go with the AIRCOM Infinity very easy.:)

I own a T9 and agree with the conclusion, but your math is incorrect because you are confusing linear and log scales. Three 8.6 dB fans only results in a total of 18.1 dB SPL.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
when I got my 8500 (located in free space) I was shocked at how hot it got and it was definitely a concern

I fully appreciate the advice and reason around the 8 ohm v 4 ohm setting but I have always found that with every AVR I have owned whether it was Yamaha Onkyo or Denon by setting the AVR to 4 ohms other than making it run cooler every time my speakers seem to just sound better

That said I now cannot ignore the advice being given by trusted members @jdsmoothie and @batpig and I am going to have to seriously consider getting a AC infinity unit and switch back to the 8 ohms setting

Turning on the 4 ohm setting reduces the rail voltage and will induce clipping at lower volumes. Beyond the risk of damaging speakers, this will result in audible distortion. It's possible you may have become accustomed to this distortion and preferred the sound.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmmm, let's see-- (8.6dB x 3) = 25.8dB > 22.5dB.:eek:

Hi mate,

I think you are wrong here. :p
No noise doesn't make more noise when there are 3 of these quiet fans run (and you can't hear that 8.6dB unless you put your ear right on top of a fan, our ears are not designed for that 4 meters away).
I forgot to mention the main reason why I went with my set-up and not the Aircom unit - I have the privilege to live right at the ocean front (3° south of the equator) at one of the windiest spots you can find on earth. I moved from DownUnder to live here because of the almost perfect kitesurfing conditions all year 'round. My QNAP NAS has a fan built in and the NAS was completely corroded after 2.5 years. The maresia (salty air) pays it's tribute when fans are running 24 hours.
With the Aircom unit running 24 hours, the same would happen with my 8500 AVR since I only turn on the fans when the fish at the ocean (and myself) need to be entertained with Rammstein and other loud stuff. So I'm trying to avoid any ventilation as much as I can.
But I guess for 99.99% of the 8500 users that would not apply so be happy users of the Aircom units. :cool:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hi mate,

I think you are wrong here. :p
No noise doesn't make more noise when there are 3 of these quiet fans run (and you can't hear that 8.6dB unless you put your ear right on top of a fan, our ears are not designed for that 4 meters away).
I forgot to mention the main reason why I went with my set-up and not the Aircom unit - I have the privilege to live right at the ocean front (3° south of the equator) at one of the windiest spots you can find on earth. I moved from DownUnder to live here because of the almost perfect kitesurfing conditions all year 'round. My QNAP NAS has a fan built in and the NAS was completely corroded after 2.5 years. The maresia (salty air) pays it's tribute when fans are running 24 hours.
With the Aircom unit running 24 hours, the same would happen with my 8500 AVR since I only turn on the fans when the fish at the ocean (and myself) need to be entertained with Rammstein and other loud stuff. So I'm trying to avoid any ventilation as much as I can.
But I guess for 99.99% of the 8500 users that would not apply so be happy users of the Aircom units. :cool:
I think you're right as far as I can understand it:confused: A bit beyond my level...

With 3 equal level sources it could be 4.8 dB louder, 8.6+4.8=13.4dB although it may be only 2 dB louder. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/adding-decibel-d_63.html

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I own a T9 and agree with the conclusion, but your math is incorrect because you are confusing linear and log scales. Three 8.6 dB fans only results in a total of 18.1 dB SPL.
I think you're right as far as I can understand it:confused: A bit beyond my level...

With 3 equal level sources it could be 4.8 dB louder, 8.6+4.8=13.4dB although it may be only 2 dB louder. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/adding-decibel-d_63.html

I see that we have conflicting outcomes. Perhaps we need an acoustical engineer to settle the dispute.:rolleyes:

To be clear, in my calculations, I was using "new math.":) For those of you unfamiliar with the process, here is a helpful presentation, courtesy of the late great Tom Lehrer:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Every doubling of acoustic output that is correlative (in-phase) will add 3dB of additional noise (i.e. three 8.6dB sources that correlate will output 14.6dB of sound when running together).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Heat from my 8500 might have smoked my Monster Power HTS5100MKII. It sat above the 8500. I ordered a T8. I'll probably install it ASAP. I pulled another HTS5100MKII from a setup in another room to replace the one that that gave it's life for great music. I've seen a lot of numbers for a temp setting. What does Denon recommend?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Turning on the 4 ohm setting reduces the rail voltage and will induce clipping at lower volumes. Beyond the risk of damaging speakers, this will result in audible distortion. It's possible you may have become accustomed to this distortion and preferred the sound.
As previously posted
I have been using a Emotiva XPA-5 G2 for L/C/R + surrounds with all my AVR's since 2014 so unless the Evo produces distortion I doubt that is the reason

·
Premium Member
88,885 Posts
Heat from my 8500 might have smoked my Monster Power HTS5100MKII. It sat above the 8500. I ordered a T8. I'll probably install it ASAP. I pulled another HTS5100MKII from a setup in another room to replace the one that that gave it's life for great music. I've seen a lot of numbers for a temp setting. What does Denon recommend?
If by "above", you mean "directly on top of", then no surprise as you should never place anything (other than a cooling fan) directly on top of an AVR, rather at least 3-4" clearance is required for sufficient ventilation. However, with the T8 placed on top of the AVR, you can then set another component on top of the T8.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
As previously posted
I have been using a Emotiva XPA-5 G2 for L/C/R + surrounds with all my AVR's since 2014 so unless the Evo produces distortion I doubt that is the reason

I didn't realize you were using an external amp with the 8500H. In that case, using eco mode will be safe and you won't have a problem with clipping. For AVRs other than the 8500H, using eco mode can induce distortion even when using preouts, as was discovered during the Audioholics SR8012 review.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
I placed the order today for the S8 but shipping is indicating 3 weeks from now. :eek:
I ended up cancelling the S8 because of the long shipping times and ordered the T8 which is supposed to be delivered Thursday. I had over $30 in rewards from my CC so it was almost like paying for the S8 anyway.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I ended up cancelling the S8 because of the long shipping times and ordered the T8 which is supposed to be delivered Thursday. I had over $30 in rewards from my CC so it was almost like paying for the S8 anyway.

I believe that you will be very pleased with your choice.

To paraphrase someone we all know and esteem: "Mo' user options, mo' better.":)

Reactions: lujan

·
Premium Member
88,885 Posts
I didn't realize you were using an external amp with the 8500H. In that case, using eco mode will be safe and you won't have a problem with clipping. For AVRs other than the 8500H, using eco mode can induce distortion even when using preouts, as was discovered during the Audioholics SR8012 review.
An issue never experienced with many owners of other models. ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
For myself, i know after a Jam Session , loud volume then pausing for a drink, the fans are cranking not sure how hot things are but i have ordered 2 USB fans to place on top of the receiver, my question is, which way does the air-flow? All help is appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
For myself, i know after a Jam Session , loud volume then pausing for a drink, the fans are cranking not sure how hot things are but i have ordered 2 USB fans to place on top of the receiver, my question is, which way does the air-flow? All help is appreciated
Thanks

I have them on sucktion.

5761 - 5780 of 7006 Posts