AVS Forum banner

5841 - 5860 of 6906 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Indeed your unit is clearly "open air" so as your unit is running hot, an external fan is required to cool the unit down.

I'm simply saying that those owners experiencing high heat from their Denon AVR (regardless of model) doesn't mean that ALL units of that same model are experiencing the same heat issue and therefore a general characterization of "model XXXX runs hot" is not warranted. And although not obviously true in your case, in many cases, when more ventilation is provided, the temp of the unit should drop.

Mate, if you are a sales person or someone affiliated with Denon (or any other AVR companies) you should mention this here!
Calming down serious issues here and telling people there is no problem and deleting (my) posts about it is not the way a forum should be.

·
Premium Member
^^^Respect My Authoritah!
4,955 Posts
Mate, if you are a sales person or someone affiliated with Denon (or any other AVR companies) you should mention this here!
Calming down serious issues here and telling people there is no problem and deleting (my) posts about it is not the way a forum should be.
He's not associated with Denon, nor is he a moderator. Check his bio. He provides hours of support every week for free. Sometimes, he gets a little pissy because he's spent a lot of time putting a lot of information in the first several posts that answer a lot of questions if people read those first. Whatever post of yours that got deleted was flagged by someone, and a moderator deleted it.

This is freely available if you just click on his account:

About jdsmoothie
Biography
I joined AVS Forum in 2007 in search of a new 1080p TV, AVR and 5.1 speaker setup and learned a lot of very helpful information. I've been paying it forward ever since to help others as well. I joined AV Science (authorized Denon/Marantz/Yamaha dealer) in 2013 and now am able to help others with AVR selection and purchase as well as continuing to help with troubleshooting in the forum.
Occupation
Sales for AV Science, an authorized major brand audio/video dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
He's not associated with Denon, nor is he a moderator. Check his bio. He provides hours of support every week for free. Sometimes, he's borderline rude because he's spent a lot of time putting a lot of information in the first several posts that answer a lot of questions if people read those first. Whatever post of yours that got deleted was flagged by someone, and a moderator deleted it.

This is freely available if you just click on his account:

About jdsmoothie
Biography
I joined AVS Forum in 2007 in search of a new 1080p TV, AVR and 5.1 speaker setup and learned a lot of very helpful information. I've been paying it forward ever since to help others as well. I joined AV Science (authorized Denon/Marantz/Yamaha dealer) in 2013 and now am able to help others with AVR selection and purchase as well as continuing to help with troubleshooting in the forum.
Occupation
Sales for AV Science, an authorized major brand audio/video dealer.

You are wrong because the original poster of my reply posted that he bought the 8500 of him.
And now that is deleted as well...

·
Registered
147 Posts
You are wrong because the original poster of my reply posted that he bought the 8500 of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 I have a rear exhaust fan on it because it needs one. Full disclosure: I bought both Denons from @jdsmoothie .

So what is going on here?

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
How am I wrong? My post, that you are calling wrong, is 100% factual.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts

I’m definitely not the white knight type but, I have to say that you’re completely out of line here. JD is a big contributor to this community and he has helped many people through countless informative posts, threads and yes, through sales.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just a quick question, I‘ll be getting my 8500 tomorrow, somebody once told me to turn off the Subwoofer while doing the automatic Speaker Calibration. Is this still the case? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Just a quick question, I‘ll be getting my 8500 tomorrow, somebody once told me to turn off the Subwoofer while doing the automatic Speaker Calibration. Is this still the case? Thanks!
It's never been the case with Audyssey XT32 as far I know. Calibrating subwoofers is actually XT32s strong point.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I hope you are as happy with your 8500 as I have been. :)

As stated above, you do not want to turn off the subwoofer (SW) when configuring Audyssey. You want to have access to the volume control on your SW. Start by setting the SW volume at 50%. Audyssey will probably give you an opportunity to adjust the SW volume during the configuration. When the Audyssey cycle has finished, if you want to bump up the SW volume manually, you can do so.

When you get your AVR, you should consider reading pages 213-223 in the 8500 manual, although you can just plug in the included microphone and Audyssey will walk you through the process.

There is considerable discussion about the 8500 and subwoofers on this thread, however I find it difficult to search for that information. You may be better at keywords and quotes than I.

Reactions: Manni01

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
As others have said, it's not necessary, but before you do your first Audyssey calibration I would simply add that I highly recommend paying for the Audyssey app, as it gives you a lot more control and allows you to save different configurations, layouts etc very easily. You have to do the Audyssey calibration from the App to benefit from it (it won't handle any calibration made from the AVR itself), so it's better to get the app first if you plan to use it. It's very cheap and worth every penny in my opinion. Far better than web/USB backups.

Also if you adjust the SW level after calibration, make sure you do so in the AVR levels, not on the SW itself, so that you don't have to re-tune it everytime you do a calibration.

Enjoy your X8500H, it's a fantastic AVR :)

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
As others have said, it's not necessary, but before you do your first Audyssey calibration I would simply add that I highly recommend paying for the Audyssey app, as it gives you a lot more control and allows you to save different configurations, layouts etc very easily. You have to do the Audyssey calibration from the App to benefit from it (it won't handle any calibration made from the AVR itself), so it's better to get the app first if you plan to use it. It's very cheap and worth every penny in my opinion. Far better than web/USB backups.

Also if you adjust the SW level after calibration, make sure you do so in the AVR levels, not on the SW itself, so that you don't have to re-tune it everytime you do a calibration.

I may get the app before having to do another calibration after the HDMI 2.1 upgrade.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I leave my subs on when running Audyssey and then drop the frequency range all the way down to 20 hz in the Audyssey app after it runs. I have all of my subs calibrated with REW and a miniDSP so the 8500 sees all them as one virtual sub. So with that I want Audyssey to set the AVR's gain and distance for it in relation to the rest of the speakers but not to change my curve.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts

Thank you for posting this. I wasn't aware of the app. Kind of disappointed with the 2.9 rating for a twenty dollar app but, compare that to the $1,000(?) Audyssey Pro Kit (that I have gathering dust) and the $150 licence per AVR, that's a heck of a bargain.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I leave my subs on when running Audyssey and then drop the frequency range all the way down to 20 hz in the Audyssey app after it runs. I have all of my subs calibrated with REW and a miniDSP so the 8500 sees all them as one virtual sub. So with that I want Audyssey to set the AVR's gain and distance for it in relation to the rest of the speakers but not to change my curve.
Whoa, Whoa slow down please. This is very interesting. Please elaborate.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Whoa, Whoa slow down please. This is very interesting. Please elaborate.
Ok, will do. :)

I use a miniDSP 2x4HD for subs for both EQing the room flat plus house curve and for BEQing movies. It sits between the 8500 and the amps. The first couple of posts in the BEQ thread have a lot of information on miniDSP.

So when I'm setting up/changing the room what I do is:
  • Configure subs with REW and the miniDSP. This is a the long and tough step and is a bit too much to type out and explain here. I put a link below to an easy to follow tutorial video on doing it. There's also a thread for the video here on AVS. At the end of this subs are all set up as one virtual sub off of one of the 8500's outputs.
  • Run Audyssey through the iPhone app and let it calculate with the sub. It will see the virtual sub and set the gain, distance, and EQ based on it and integrate it with everything else like normal.
  • Since the subs have already been EQed in the first step I don't want Audyssey messing with it. In the config in the app go into "MultiEQ Filter Frequency Range", select Subwoofer from the drop down, and then drag the slider all the way to 20 hz on the left. That essentially disables the Audyssey EQ for the subs. REW sweeps of the subs with Audyssey on should now match the sweeps with it disabled.
If you have any TR devices (BK, Crowsons, etc) I used the 2nd sub out on the 8500 for them. That way I have a separate gain and distance adjustment for them over the subs. When you run Audyssey you just have to route both inputs to the subs in the miniDSP to let Audyssey do it's thing and then set the correct routing once it's done.

That's pretty much it for the set-up. Once done it's then time to go down the BEQ rabbit hole to get the most out of your subs. ;)

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Ok, will do. :)

I use a miniDSP 2x4HD for subs for both EQing the room flat plus house curve and for BEQing movies. It sits between the 8500 and the amps. The first couple of posts in the BEQ thread have a lot of information on miniDSP.

• Configure subs with REW and the miniDSP. This is a the long and tough step and is a bit too much to type out and explain here. I put a link below to an easy to follow tutorial video on doing it. There's also a thread for the video here on AVS. At the end of this subs are all set up as one virtual sub off of one of the 8500's outputs.
  • Run Audyssey through the iPhone app and let it calculate with the sub. It will see the virtual sub and set the gain, distance, and EQ based on it and integrate it with everything else like normal.
  • Since the subs have already been EQed in the first step I don't want Audyssey messing with it. In the config in the app go into "MultiEQ Filter Frequency Range", select Subwoofer from the drop down, and then drag the slider all the way to 20 hz on the left. That essentially disables the Audyssey EQ for the subs. REW sweeps of the subs with Audyssey on should now match the sweeps with it disabled.
If you have any TR devices (BK, Crowsons, etc) I used the 2nd sub out on the 8500 for them. That way I have a separate gain and distance adjustment for them over the subs. When you run Audyssey you just have to route both inputs to the subs in the miniDSP to let Audyssey do it's thing and then set the correct routing once it's done.

That's pretty much it for the set-up. Once done it's then time to go down the BEQ rabbit hole to get the most out of your subs. ;)
Sweet!

·
Vendor
27,166 Posts
^^^

Don't forget, most of us on these forums need an excuse to buy a new toy. :)
lol right on ;)

I find it hard to believe that electronics are meant to run hot. Why then do newer PC's run much cooler than in years previously? ----X---- (contradiction):)
I guess I meant warm to hot. Not Excessive for sure. If Denon felt these ran to hot they would add more fans in the newer units being made today.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
lol right on ;)

I guess I meant warm to hot. Not Excessive for sure. If Denon felt these ran to hot they would add more fans in the newer units being made today.
In addition I am not sure PC's and 13 channel AVRs are a good comparison. New PCs have solid state drives and very small chips. They need to cool the processor and the video card which probably has 4-8 Gig of memory, so it is taking a big load off the processor. A desktop pc today is a big box with a lot of empty space.

My Alienware laptop runs hot, and the fans are operating much of the time I am using it.

A better comparison might be an AVR and a cell phone. They still have problems cooling some cell phones.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, will do.

Configure subs with REW and the miniDSP. This is a the long and tough step and is a bit too much to type out and explain here. I put a link below to an easy to follow tutorial video on doing it. There's also a thread for the video here on AVS. At the end of this subs are all set up as one virtual sub off of one of the 8500's outputs.
Run Audyssey through the iPhone app and let it calculate with the sub. It will see the virtual sub and set the gain, distance, and EQ based on it and integrate it with everything else like normal.
Since the subs have already been EQed in the first step I don't want Audyssey messing with it. In the config in the app go into "MultiEQ Filter Frequency Range", select Subwoofer from the drop down, and then drag the slider all the way to 20 hz on the left. That essentially disables the Audyssey EQ for the subs. REW sweeps of the subs with Audyssey on should now match the sweeps with it disabled.

That's pretty much it for the set-up. Once done it's then time to go down the BEQ rabbit hole to get the most out of your subs.
This is incredibly interesting. 2 questions:

• Do you then use Audyssey for the rest of the frequency range or only up to 250 - 500 Hz?
  • When you say BEQ, does that mean implement a house curve like Harman or something?
Thanks in advance for clarification

/M

·
Registered
30,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,860
5841 - 5860 of 6906 Posts