AVS Forum banner

5861 - 5880 of 6611 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi everybody, just popped in Rogue One into my new 8500. Am I doing something wrong here or is the volume very low on this one?
Right now I am at -10.0db and I could still turn in up, normally -20.0db already makes my ears shatter :)

Anybody else have this experience?

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Hi everybody, just popped in Rogue One into my new 8500. Am I doing something wrong here or is the volume very low on this one?
Right now I am at -10.0db and I could still turn in up, normally -20.0db already makes my ears shatter :)

I don't have a reference link, but I think SW/Disney may be mastered at a lower level then other BRs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
And another thing I just stumbled upon.

I adjusted the level of the channels directly, manually in the receiver. So far so good, now on the iOS App if I go into Options-> Channel Level Adjust, everything was set to 0.0db.

So what values are being used now? Thanks!

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,865
Right now I am at -10.0db and I could still turn in up, normally -20.0db already makes my ears shatter 😁

Disney mixes are frequently known for having low volume.

That said, I would double check that there's not a Dolby setting enabled for "Loudness Managment" and/or "DRC / Dynamic Range Compression", which is in Surround Parameters in the Denon's AUDIO menu. Also check on the player side just in case.

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,866
And another thing I just stumbled upon.

I adjusted the level of the channels directly, manually in the receiver. So far so good, now on the iOS App if I go into Options-> Channel Level Adjust, everything was set to 0.0db.

So what values are being used now? Thanks!
There are two different types of levels:

- in the Manual Setup menu where you run the test tones, that sets the GLOBAL levels (baseline calibraton)
- in the Options menu, the Channel Level Adjust option allows for RELATIVE offsets to the global levels that are saved BY INPUT

So the primary calibration is done with the GLOBAL levels in Manual Setup (Audyssey calibration also sets these as part of the auto setup) and then the Options-> Channel Level Adjust can be used for input-specific tweaks (e.g. bump up the center channel 3dB for your cable box input, or bump the sub a bit on your Blu-ray input, etc).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I mounted my 6 atmos speakers in 'test' locations for working out the best sounding locations. The top middle and top rear are at 45 degrees from MLP and mounted off the soffits, The front are at 40 degrees and jerry-rigged on poles for now. I did this to aid in testing the different locations and between specifying TF, TM, TR or FH, SH|TM, RH and to determine if the speakers should move inward in the room or outward for best sound imaging, and if I could get a good sound imagine with front/rear heights so I could do Auro 3d perhaps.

I popped Ready Player One (UHD 4k/atmos) which is the only atmos disc I have ATM and listened to the race scenes, dozens and dozens of times via the xbox one s.

In short, once I had the AVR configured to have TM, no sound came out of FH, TF, RH or TR. Source/input on the 8500 does say Atmos, but only sound came out of TM's. If I didn't have TM's configured then no sound came out of SH L|R.

FH, SH, RH Configuration (Front Wides Enabled) - Interestingly the AVR picked L,C,R,SR,SBL,RBL,RR,FWR,FWL,FHL,FHR,RHL,RHR. SHL and SHR were not 'active'/blue (osd info) yet the front widths were, odd. No sound came out of the SH as osd indicated.
FH, TM, RH Configuration (Front Wides Disabled) - All speakers were 'active' (besides FW which weren't configured) but no sound came out of FH or RH.
TF, TM, TR Configuration (Front wides still disabled) - All speakers were 'active' (besides FW) but no sound came out of TF or TR)

I guess it could be the way the disc was mastered, but I can't imagine they'd do that... I can't imagine either the xbox has any effect on which speakers are used if the AVR is showing it's getting an atmos signal. I do have Disney+ and could go through various videos and see if it's the same but I would be shocked if it weren't.

Any thoughts/suggestions on what should be expected? Shouldn't TF and TR still be getting objects/sound in Ready Player?

edit
... I just realized I haven't tried configuration without top middle, basically TF TR, I'll go do that now.
edit2
Changing from TF, TM, TR (that doesn't produce sound from TF or TR) to a TF TR config (No TM) does play audio from TF and TR.

Any idea how to get 6 atmos speakers to work at once? Or is this a limitation of the 8500 or perhaps a poorly mastered mix?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Any idea how to get 6 atmos speakers to work at once? Or is this a limitation of the 8500 or perhaps a poorly mastered mix?
Probably the latter. Unfortunately a lot of movies are mixed with fixed speaker locations. It sounds like Ready Player One only has two height channels. When this happens they will only play out of Top Middles in a 6 speaker configuration. In a 4 speaker configuration the sound will be split to all speakers.

You need to try a movie that has true object based audio. I believe Blade Runner, The Matrix, Mad Max Fury Road are commonly cited examples.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I went through a dozen atmos movies on Disney+, it's the content. I found a couple others that seem to have just 2 atmos channels as well. If the 8500 is configured for 4 atmos speakers it splits audio between them nicely and actually makes a better sound image IMO than 6 speakers, even on movies that aren't mixed with just 2 atmos channels. I'm also a bit surprised how little atmos is used on End Game and other hit Disney action movies, and if they do it's very, very rare novelty sounds. :( Star Wars seemed to make the most use of 6 atmos ceiling speakers, though sounds were often limited to a specific speaker and didn't pan much at all between them. Glad it's not a receiver decoding issue, sad atmos isn't apparently used much in mixing. I'll probably be moving my speakers inward more because even at 40-45 degrees it's often hard to recognize that the sound is not coming from ear layer speakers. The speakers seem to need to be right over your heads and inward more than mine are ATM to actually add much to the ambiance, instead of being lost in so much surround sound. I'll have to pick up some other atmos movies.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Disney hard-codes everything to 7.1.4 channels.

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,872

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,873
I popped Ready Player One (UHD 4k/atmos) which is the only atmos disc I have ATM and listened to the race scenes, dozens and dozens of times via the xbox one s.

In short, once I had the AVR configured to have TM, no sound came out of FH, TF, RH or TR. Source/input on the 8500 does say Atmos, but only sound came out of TM's.
What you're hearing is that RP1 is basically a 7.1.2 mix (beds only, no objects).

When you have 6 overheads configured, the sound is reproduced by TM only (same as how the surround signal is reproduced by Surr only). If you only have front/rear overheads, the overhead signal is split between front+rear (same as how disabling the center splits the signal to FR/FL to create a phantom image).

If I didn't have TM's configured then no sound came out of SH L|R.
Correct, expected behavior as SH is not a supported Atmos speakers location.

FH, SH, RH Configuration (Front Wides Enabled) - Interestingly the AVR picked L,C,R,SR,SBL,RBL,RR,FWR,FWL,FHL,FHR,RHL,RHR. SHL and SHR were not 'active'/blue (osd info) yet the front widths were, odd. No sound came out of the SH as osd indicated.
Not that interesting, it's exactly the expected behavior. 13ch Atmos processing picked the 13 available Atmos speakers (9.1.4 config). Again, SH is not an Atmos location. Same exact behavior would occur if the 14th/15th speakers were CH + TS (voice of god).

FH, TM, RH Configuration (Front Wides Disabled) - All speakers were 'active' (besides FW which weren't configured) but no sound came out of FH or RH.
TF, TM, TR Configuration (Front wides still disabled) - All speakers were 'active' (besides FW) but no sound came out of TF or TR)

I guess it could be the way the disc was mastered, but I can't imagine they'd do that...
Broaden your imagination :) it's the truth. You would experience the exact same result with Saving Private Ryan, for example. Avengers Endgame is almost 7.1.2, but it does use objects sparingly at a few key moments so you hear occasional effects from front/rear overheads and/or the wides.

It's the content. You need a movie that actually has a good Atmos mix with objects, not just the 7.1.2 bed channels.

Reactions: chi_guy50

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've got a silly question which I feel I should know the answer to, I have my OPPO 205 connected directly to the tv, is there a reason why the "Denon" splash screen is present when I've got the coaxial audio input selected with the Monitor Out connected to my TV but is simply a "black screen" when I have a hdmi split av configuration via my OPPO 205, naturally it's the hdmi audio only output going to the avr so that is why I'm guessing the video signal is merely a black screen without the "Denon" splash screen in this case but why is the Denon's OSD setup menu screen overlays still present in both cases?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've got a silly question which I feel I should know the answer to, I have my OPPO 205 connected directly to the tv, is there a reason why the "Denon" splash screen is present when I've got the coaxial audio input selected with the Monitor Out connected to my TV but is simply a "black screen" when I have a hdmi split av configuration via my OPPO 205, naturally it's the hdmi audio only output going to the avr so that is why I'm guessing the video signal is merely a black screen without the "Denon" splash screen in this case but why is the Denon's OSD setup menu screen overlays still present in both cases?
My understanding is that HDMI has to carry video, it cannot be only audio, so the "Audio Only" HDMI outs have the audio from whatever you're playing added to a blank video signal that most legacy equipment can handle (like 1080p). This allows a person to watch UHD video, for example, and send the audio to a processor that wouldn't be able to handle the UHD video signal but is able to decode the audio. So, the HDMI connection is sending video to the AVR and the AVR is passing it on to the display, the coaxial is not sending video so it displays the Denon splash screen. The Denon OSD can be disabled when video is present, but, otherwise, I'm not sure what about it being available would be confusing, with a video signal or without, so you may have to expand on that question.
Morgan

·
Registered
241 Posts
My understanding is that HDMI has to carry video, it cannot be only audio, so the "Audio Only" HDMI outs have the audio from whatever you're playing added to a blank video signal that most legacy equipment can handle (like 1080p). This allows a person to watch UHD video, for example, and send the audio to a processor that wouldn't be able to handle the UHD video signal but is able to decode the audio. So, the HDMI connection is sending video to the AVR and the AVR is passing it on to the display, the coaxial is not sending video so it displays the Denon splash screen. The Denon OSD can be disabled when video is present, but, otherwise, I'm not sure what about it being available would be confusing, with a video signal or without, so you may have to expand on that question.
Morgan
Thanks for that, I guess I was just confused because I thought I would see the "Denon" splash screen with both inputs regardless as I can see the Denon GUI setup screen when I have the hdmi audio only input selected on the avr, the monitor out is connected to a different hdmi input on the tv, is the hdmi audio only output "blanking" the "Denon" splash screen but still allows the Denon GUI & OSD volume overlay to display? Sorry if I'm not expressing myself more clearly, I suppose it would be best to attach some screenshots to illustrate my concern.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks for that, I guess I was just confused because I thought I would see the "Denon" splash screen with both inputs regardless as I can see the Denon GUI setup screen when I have the hdmi audio only input selected on the avr, the monitor out is connected to a different hdmi input on the tv, is the hdmi audio only output "blanking" the "Denon" splash screen but still allows the Denon GUI & OSD volume overlay to display? Sorry if I'm not expressing myself more clearly, I suppose it would be best to attach some screenshots to illustrate my concern.
The HDMI "audio only" output is not only sending audio, it is also sending a video signal. The black screen you are seeing is black video being generated by the Oppo. It is my understanding that the HDMI standard does not allow for only audio to be transmitted, there must be video. The purpose of the so-called "audio only" outs is to allow people whose AVRs or AVPs aren't able to pass-through 3D or 4K to still be able to take advantage of HDMI's audio capabilities. So, for the "audio only" out, the video (if any) is stripped away and the audio signal is added to a (probably) 1080p video signal. From the AVRs point of view there would be no difference between what it is getting from the "audio only" output on the Oppo and a regular 1080p Blu-ray from a regular Blu-ray player.
With the coaxial there is no video signal so the Denon splash page is displayed, with HDMI, even using the "audio only" output on the Oppo, there is a video signal and that signal (a black screen) is passed through the Denon.
I'm not sure what your set-up is, beyond the 205 and the 8500, but there is no obvious advantage to using the "audio only" output with the 8500 as it can pass through any signal the Oppo is capable of playing.
Morgan

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Just an FYI, I figured out the remote app problem ... I downloaded the Denon Remote app ... WHAT WAS I THINKING? That's clearly the wrong app. I downloaded the 3 other Denon remote apps and figured out that AVR Remote 2016 is the right one. WTF? Anyhow, it works now.

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi everybody,

I would like to manage my Sunrise HRS SW without the Denon, so set the Crossover to 80hz, etc.
Does that interfere with the setting on the Denon?

Do I have to change something, somewhere to make it work?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,880
Hi everybody,

I would like to manage my Sunrise HRS SW without the Denon, so set the Crossover to 80hz, etc.
Does that interfere with the setting on the Denon?

Do I have to change something, somewhere to make it work?

Thanks!
The setting you pictured is NOT a crossover, it's an LPF (low pass filter) only for the LFE channel.

The subwoofer plays LFE and ALSO redirected bass from speakers set to "small" below the crossover. The crossover on the SPEAKERS determines what gets redirected to the subwoofer, the LFE LPF only filters the .1 LFE channel.

All that said, I don't know what you mean by "manage" your subwoofer. You still need bass management right? The processor (AVR) is going to control that, then once you send the bass managed signal to the subwoofer you can do with it what you will. If you set controls on the sub they will interact with the AVR controls.

For example, let's say you cross your speakers at 100Hz in the Denon AVR. That will apply a 100Hz HPF to the speakers, and a 100Hz LPF to the bass managed signal sent to the subwoofer. But if you set the filter knob on the subwoofer itself to 80Hz, now you're going to be missing content in between 80 and 100Hz. Even if both filters are set to 80Hz, the double LPF on the subwoofer will cause it to roll off more steeply than intended and could create a "suckout" at 80Hz.

Do you have measurement gear so you can actually see what's happening and make informed decisions about this? If not, then you should just let the AVR do its thing.

Reactions: chi_guy50
5861 - 5880 of 6611 Posts