AVS Forum banner

6101 - 6120 of 6602 Posts

·
Premium Member
87,962 Posts
Oops. Brain fade. Sorry.

With the DTS:X Pro update and 13 on-board ch, one presumes that the X8500 will be able to do 9.4.1, with the two extra being "wides". Do you have any idea if the X8500's smarts will be able to recognize 9.4.1 with top center and VOG in lieu of wides? Or if it can recognize 9.4.1 as "wides" plus top center and VOG with no "rears". And back to my original question, which I mangled: Will the X8500 be able to do 11.4.1 with the addition of an outboard 2 ch amp? All the connections are there for 15 ch and I have 15 speakers connected so that the X8500 automatically hooks up the "correct" 13 speakers when an Auro source is detected. At present, I have disconnected my rear speakers so that I can have "wides" under the current DTS:X 11 ch limit. Looks like I'll be able to hook them back up with DTS:X Pro, but I'd be happy to add an outboard 2 ch amp to get simultaneous 15 speakers with top center and VOG.
The AVR will be able to do 9.1.4 or 7.1.6 (w/Front Wides); however, it is not able to expand beyond 13Ch (ie. no expansion with 2CH amp).

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The AVR will be able to do 9.1.4 or 7.1.6 (w/Front Wides); however, it is not able to expand beyond 13Ch (ie. no expansion with 2CH amp).
Many thanks. Guess I'll sell the Emo 2 ch amp I've been saving for just in case.

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,103
With the DTS:X Pro update and 13 on-board ch, one presumes that the X8500 will be able to do 9.4.1, with the two extra being "wides". Do you have any idea if the X8500's smarts will be able to recognize 9.4.1 with top center and VOG in lieu of wides? Or if it can recognize 9.4.1 as "wides" plus top center and VOG with no "rears".
The question is confusing, because there is no such thing as "Top Center" and VOG (Top Surround) is not an Atmos location. Do you mean "Center Height" when you say "Top Center"?

The X8500H is capable of configuring a 15 speaker layout with 9.1.4 Atmos + two extra Auro3D speakers (Center Height + Top Surround). In this mode, Atmos and Auro3D will both play back as 13.1 channels; Atmos content will play as 9.1.4 (Center Height + Top Surround will be silent) and Auro3D will play as 13.1ch (Front Wide will be silent).

So is your question asking which 13 of those 15 speakers will be used with DTS:X Pro, since technically DTS:X supports all 15 of those locations?

Reactions: Ted99

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,104
Speaking of wides.... some really good news!

We just got info that the when the DTS:X Pro firmware update comes to the 8500/8805, it will ALSO include some updates to the Dolby Surround Upmixer bringing support (finally!) for upmixing to Front Wide speakers AND the single Surround Back speaker. Previously, DSU did not upmix to wides or to a single Surround Back (in a 6.1 base layout).

First world problems, I know, but those of us who like the 9.1.4 layout in principle but have been frustrated with the FW only getting used by native Atmos mixes (and then, only those that bother to use the wides) are going to get some really excellent enhancements between the DSU upgrade and DTS:X Pro :D In theory, once the update drops, this means that FW speakers can FINALLY be active with ANY content (other than Auro3D of course, and Atmos mixes that ignore the wides).

·
Registered
26,500 Posts

We just got info that the when the DTS:X Pro firmware update comes to the 8500/8805, it will ALSO include some updates to the Dolby Surround Upmixer bringing support (finally!) for upmixing to Front Wide speakers AND the single Surround Back speaker. Previously, DSU did not upmix to wides or to a single Surround Back (in a 6.1 base layout).

First world problems, I know, but those of us who like the 9.1.4 layout in principle but have been frustrated with the FW only getting used by native Atmos mixes (and then, only those that bother to use the wides) are going to get some really excellent enhancements between the DSU upgrade and DTS:X Pro :D In theory, once the update drops, this means that FW speakers can FINALLY be active with ANY content (other than Auro3D of course, and Atmos mixes that ignore the wides).
I'm disappointed... that I can only "like" this post once. The forum needs a "love" option. :)

·
Premium Member
9,828 Posts
Great news, thanks for the info.

Do you know if DTS:X Pro will bring a better use of the wides for Neural:X, or if it will simply be a copy rather than extract? Same for DSU, any details on how the wides will be created (copy or extract)?

·
Registered
18,137 Posts

Great news. I like having wide channel speakers. Now they can be fully utilized for all content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,108
Great news, thanks for the info.

Do you know if DTS:X Pro will bring a better use of the wides for Neural:X, or if it will simply be a copy rather than extract? Same for DSU, any details on how the wides will be created (copy or extract)?
I have no idea what the mechanism for DSU wides will be, unfortunately.

As far as I know, DTS:X Pro doesn't make any changes to how DTS:X / Neural:X functions other than lifting the 11ch limit. So wides would presumably continue to be a center extract between Front + Surround, as it has been since Neo:X. I have heard that the weird quirk where DTS:X doesn't allow mixing to wides with DTS:X native 7.1.4 tracks will be resolved however.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great news. I like having wide channel speakers. Now they can be fully utilized for all content.
Also thrilled with this news. I have Front Wides that I was considering ditching given they are rarely utilised, so this news is just what I needed to hear. :)
@batpig: Any indication on what the pricing for the HDMI board upgrade will be?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Recently purchased the x8500h and was deciding if I should return and pickup the newer future proof x6700h?
I will be moving soon to a coop apartment and will not be utilizing the full capability of the 8500 and also will be saving $1500 I can use for the apartment
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Easy answer: yes.

Either get one of the new units or repurchase the X8500H in the future, if you want the X8500H for some reason, for a much lower price.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Ya, many of the TV's have only one HDMI 2.1 Input. Makes you wonder how much it would cost to add it to another? 5 bucks?
It's the price you pay for being on the cutting edge... in a few years, even the most basic TV / amp will have HDMI 2.1, and the latest amp will only have one HDMI 2.2 and so on and so on...
That way, there's something 'new' and radical every year.. sadly..

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
1. Although having on board memory for a second speaker configuration/EQ is certainly more convenient, if you use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, you can save two different EQ curves and stream them to the AVR when needed which generally takes less than 1 minute.
2. The X8500H uses the more advanced AK4490EQ DAC while the 2020 models use the AK4458VN.
3. Some flagship model features trickling down to the lower models has been standard practice over the years as new technology costs are reduced. The X8500H still offers so much more.

The AK4490 has been upgraded by AKM to the improved AK4493. If only the HDMI board of the X8500H is upgraded for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade, which is the plan, then the X8500H class AVP will have the old chip for a long time.

Do you know for sure that the new models use the AK4458? That DAC IC has been updated by AKM to the improved AK4468. The upgrade the new chip is size and pin compatible with the old chip so the upgrade would be relatively easy. The value of some resistors in the filter circuitry would likely be reduced since one of the improved features of the new chip is a greater drive (current) capability.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
The AK4490 has been upgraded by AKM to the improved AK4493. If only the HDMI board of the X8500H is upgraded for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade, which is the plan, then the X8500H class AVP will have the old chip for a long time.

Do you know for sure that the new models use the AK4458? That DAC IC has been updated by AKM to the improved AK4468. The upgrade the new chip is size and pin compatible with the old chip so the upgrade would be relatively easy. The value of some resistors in the filter circuitry would likely be reduced since one of the improved features of the new chip is a greater drive (current) capability.
It's ok, I won't lose too much sleep over the DACs... the implementation and the other bits further down the chain also matter.
They always need to make something new...
IMO, I'm pretty satisfied with the sound from my 8500. Still amazed sometimes when I play some movie I have not watched for a while and hear details I didn't before...

·
Premium Member
947 Posts

I turned my wide speakers into a second set of surrounds because it seemed they were not being utilized. I look forward to using the wides again, but I think I will wait for some brilliant reviews from the posters on this thread before I switch.

·
Registered
241 Posts

That's fabulous news but did you get any confirmation that the DSU "Center Spread" Surround Parameter setting will vanish with this forthcoming update?

I suppose Sound United have to adhere to the new 2020 Dolby mandate as apparently Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer & "Center Spread" cannot co-exist in the Surround Parameter menu?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have height speaker configuration to 8ch(middles plus TS/VOG. Will dts x pro follow middles or TS/VOG or will there be a seperate setting to assign which speakers that dtsX pro will use? What would be nice would be a 15ch processing update to use both types. Wishful thinking but very excited still

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I'm disappointed... that I can only "like" this post once. The forum needs a "love" option. :)

I had EXACTLY the same immediate reaction to batpig's post. I'll give you the second "like" I wanted to give him.:D

This is unexpected and delightful news. Now my 8500 is no longer a doorstop.;)

·
Premium Member
87,962 Posts
I have height speaker configuration to 8ch(middles plus TS/VOG. Will dts x pro follow middles or TS/VOG or will there be a seperate setting to assign which speakers that dtsX pro will use? What would be nice would be a 15ch processing update to use both types. Wishful thinking but very excited still

Still remains at 13ch processing and as DTS:X Pro will work with an Auro configuration and as the FH+RH must be configured before using TS/VOG, I am guessing the TS/VOG would take priority since a FH+RH configuration is favored by DTS and Auro 3D.

6101 - 6120 of 6602 Posts