AVS Forum banner

6601 - 6620 of 6875 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion but I really like the AVR-X8500H to much and it isn't that much of a priority. The 1 in/2 out upgrade works well for my upcoming HDMI 2.1 component purchases. As of right now, my eye is only on the Xbox series x.
The other option for the OP of course will be to connect the least used HDMI 2.1 devices directly to the tv and use eARC to get the audio back to the X8500H. Not quite matching the use case of everything going via the receiver, but if you've got spare HDMI 2.1 ports on the tv, it's a compromise worth investigating.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I must be out of touch. What 2.1 devices are out there, and how is the 8500 going to be used with them? Is there some sound improvement with 2.1?

Edit: I assume along with the transition to HDMI 2.1 there is not going to be a concurrent HDCP (high bandwidth digital content protection) boondoggle, whereby honest audio enthusiasts lose the use of features of their very expensive gear, while dishonest folks find ways to break the code and copy material anyway.

I understand HDMI is not HDCP and I respect the entertainment industry's right to protect its investments as long as the upgrades to HDCP, if they occur, are not masquerading as a technique to render our gear obsolete.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
My tests indicate that Heos doesn't support Atmos music via Tidal. Are others also experiencing that?
Indeed, HEOS does not support Dolby Atmos Music.
Here is the D+M answer to my question about this on 1 June 2020:
Please note that this feature is currently not possible through the HEOS app. You can only play MQA Tidal through the Tidal app. There are currently no plans in place for this third party feature to be added.

·
Vendor
27,084 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The single 2.1 input is one of the dumbest things I’ve seen in the AV industry, whose only logical explanation is manufacturers cheaping out.
Someone is going to have to make a good HDMI 2.1 switcher. But more connections just mean less quality......
The other option for the OP of course will be to connect the least used HDMI 2.1 devices directly to the tv and use eARC to get the audio back to the X8500H. Not quite matching the use case of everything going via the receiver, but if you've got spare HDMI 2.1 ports on the tv, it's a compromise worth investigating.
That is if there are no eARC hick ups.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Guys, Im trying to assign Height 3 to Height 4 terminal in Custom Mode but it always comes up as crossed out. Anyone know what I am missing? I go through the setup and tell the denon im doing 8 heights, even tried 6 heights. Every which way, Height 4 is always crossed out. Do I actually have to attach speakers to Height 4 to wake it up? But I never did that with Height 3 and that's always on so not sure what to do. Pls help.

·
Premium Member
88,545 Posts
Guys, Im trying to assign Height 3 to Height 4 terminal in Custom Mode but it always comes up as crossed out. Anyone know what I am missing? I go through the setup and tell the denon im doing 8 heights, even tried 6 heights. Every which way, Height 4 is always crossed out. Do I actually have to attach speakers to Height 4 to wake it up? But I never did that with Height 3 and that's always on so not sure what to do. Pls help.
As noted in the Custom Amp Assign chart I show in post #2, the Height 4 speaker posts are not active in "Custom" mode.

·
Registered
30,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,611
As JD said, Height4 is not available.

If you think about it, there are 15 binding posts and 13 amps. So if you're doing a fully custom assignment, you only need the first 13 binding posts to be active to fully assign all 13 amps. Those last two (Height4) aren't needed.

Reactions: b0rnarian

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes, he is reviewing/testing it now. It will be an interesting review for sure. I don’t know how long he will have to wait for him to share his results with Denon prior to posting.
He's already sent his results into Denon and waiting for their reply. Don't think it will be too long in coming now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As JD said, Height4 is not available.

If you think about it, there are 15 binding posts and 13 amps. So if you're doing a fully custom assignment, you only need the first 13 binding posts to be active to fully assign all 13 amps. Those last two (Height4) aren't needed.
When you have more speakers than 13, because want to implement either Atmos/Auro/Zone2/Zone3 with different speakers all in their "canonical" recommended positions, you want to explore first what are the whole possibilities of the 8500. I did that before implementing and sadly discovered that Height 4 Posts are not Custom assignable.

In any case, if H4 posts could have been custom assignable I couldn't have implemented all I wanted and external Speakers switches were still needed.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bench test at ASR is up. X8500 topped the SINAD chart of all AVRs and Processors measured thus far. Makes it quite a value IMO with the included amplification of 13 channels and the ability to turn off individual amps and use external amplification.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Bench test at ASR is up. X8500 topped the SINAD chart of all AVRs and Processors measured thus far. Makes it quite a value IMO with the included amplification of 13 channels and the ability to turn off individual amps and use external amplification.
Nice
It is a hot topic that is often debated here, with many a member wanted to assert that all amps are the same..
I'm glad there's proof that paying extra coin for the 8500 is worth it and measurable in this manner that appeals to AVS members.

·
Registered
763 Posts
read the review, buying the 8500... thanks for lending your 8500 out for testing @dj7675 !
Very welcome. It needed to be done :) I was so surprised that none of the sites that do bench tests (Audioholics, etc) measured the Denon flagship. Nice to see it test so well. One important thing found out for X8500 users... don’t use the full preamp mode. Results show the full preamp mode to be broken. If you are using all external amps, go into the custom amp assign and set all to “none” instead. When in full preamp mode in clips at .64v. When amp is set to none, performance is excellent all the way to 2V. Not sure if it is a firmware issue or what. I’m sure Denon will chime in later on. With custom amp assign this isn’t an issue, but I could see someone wanting to just use it as a processor and assuming setting it in preamp mode would provide best performance. For some reason it doesn’t. Thankfully it is easy to work around this with the custom amp assign.

6601 - 6620 of 6875 Posts