AVS Forum banner

6861 - 6880 of 7085 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Finally can confirm while playing DTS Tracks, denon would upmix a 5.1 track to 7.1 but not any of the heights are active even though the info. Says they are - checked with ladder up to both Top Middles and Rear Heights.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Finally can confirm while playing DTS Tracks, denon would upmix a 5.1 track to 7.1 but not any of the heights are active even though the info. Says they are - checked with ladder up to both Top Middles and Rear Heights.
Cool! I am about to do this test myself! I had an out of phase error when doing Audyssey, and I finally checked the back of height 1 speaker right (living room), and the red wire was on black connector, and black wire was on red connector, so painter guy removed the speakers when painting back in February but when re-installing the speakers he criss crossed the wires causing the out of phase error!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Here are pics! So, I guess make sure to check your speaker connections when you get out of phase errors, I never expected it to actually be the wiring!!

Oh, another find, the front heights I am using are Pioneer Elite in walls, and they are 6 Ohm speakers? Is that ok to mix/match 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers? see pics!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes, Denon support has been particularly bad recently. I remember when I used to call and get support pretty quickly and the support people were helpful and friendly. It doesn't appear that way anymore and not sure if it will ever be back to how it was before? Denon support is now similar to Onkyo support which is pretty bad.
I agree, the Denon support has gone downhill. It used to be a live person that would answer within 5-10 minutes on being on hold - or less. I have called 2-3 times in the last couple of weeks, and I get someone who doesn't know English, "orders" my replacement remote, and it really never gets ordered. They outsource a lot of the support calls and nothing gets actually taken care of. I mean, support people are kind and friendly, but, they read off scripts and you already know you wasted your time calling in when they tell you that COVID has affected all the turn around time for any parts you order... Not to mention, it took 1 hour and 47 minutes on 1st time I called in and 1 hour and 49 minutes the 2nd time I called in, and over 2 hours on hold the 3rd time. These were all weekday calls during 10am-11am time frame

Denon Support nowadays is horrible..

Reactions: Alanlee

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have three Denon AVR's, and they are all rock solid. But they have not figured out how to run a support site. They are playing the Covid card, you know, "oh we cannot do well because of the virus." Well, there are plenty of companies that are getting things done.

Maybe Denon should discover Salesforce. Whoever is managing their support site needs to be moved to a department that does not deal with the public

Whenever I hear "we are experiencing unusually heavy call volume," I know I am in for a ride. I am thinking, "I have problems of my own. I did not call to hear yours." "Unusually heavy call volume" is code for "we did not plan our support site to handle our customers needs, so shut up and wait, or go on the internet and wade through poorly written documents. Meanwhile we will deliver bad music and the same disingenuous message over and over until we finally hang up on you."
I used to LOVE Denon/Marantz! My First Denon piece is 3806 (loved it so much, that I got a 2nd 3806 for living room), my first Marantz piece is SR6005, and BOTH work flawlessly to this day! Those are from back in the day, when they actually did 110 watts to EACH speaker, not all this 2 channel driven nonsense with lesser watts when you add more speakers, and same deal with the external amps I have = MM7025, MM7055, and MM8077.

I guess they just don't make them like they used to!

Once I upgraded to Atmos models, thats when problems begin. Marantz 7010 needed new hdmi board, Marantz 7011 is being repaired now for no audio or video (pass through works fine), Denon 8500 - went through 3 units before I got a working one, Denon 4500, went through 2 units.

I was going to trade in my Marantz 7011 for a Denon X3700H, and then, got the bad news about the upgrade exchange program :(

Also, recently, my Marantz amps have been having issues. One MM7055 and one MM7025 are making loud humming noises, while all the other devices are silent.

So, although I loved having separates, I am going back to Denon X8500H for my theater! I ordered it last week from Magnolia, so should have it by the end of the month!

If it doesn't arrive by October, I may be able to get them to update my order to the X8500HA so that I don't have to mail it in for 8k board upgrade etc.. (then, I would have to wait until 12.2020 or January 2021)

I just wish support could be better, but, they say they are doing the best they can during covid...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Denon Upgrade Exchange Program ended on Thursday morning!

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (09/17/2020 12:30 PM)
Hi Bejoy,

Unfortunately, just this morning our Upgrade Exchange program was suspended due to current inventory issues. I will not be able to move forward with any upgrade exchanges.

With that said, you can have the 7011 repaired under warranty. The original warranty expired on Sept 9, but we allow for a 30 day grace period which would extend it to Oct 9. If you choose to go this route, Audio Mart in Overland Park KS would be your best option. https://www.audiomartservicecenter.com/

Thanks,
Greg
Denon & Marantz NA

·
Registered
496 Posts
Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (09/17/2020 05:30 PM)
Hi Bejoy,

We're hoping to resume the Upgrade Exchange program within the next few months once inventory stabilizes. The Denon AVR-A110 should definitely still be available when the program is back online.

The AVR-A110 is not available yet regardless. My advice would be to wait until the end of Nov and see where we are with inventory. At that point, we can try again and you'll at least get some credit back with the Marantz 7011 or Denon X8500H towards your purchase of the AVR-A110 Anniversary model.

Thanks,
Greg
Denon & Marantz NA

Customer By Email (Bejoy Abraham) (09/17/2020 05:05 PM)
Oh no! That is sad news. I was hoping to get the anniversary model (A110) this year.

Will it be back later this year? If not, what is cost and process to buy anniversary AVR?

Thanks,
Bejoy

Sent from Outlook

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I used to LOVE Denon/Marantz! My First Denon piece is 3806 (loved it so much, that I got a 2nd 3806 for living room), my first Marantz piece is SR6005, and BOTH work flawlessly to this day! Those are from back in the day, when they actually did 110 watts to EACH speaker, not all this 2 channel driven nonsense with lesser watts when you add more speakers, and same deal with the external amps I have = MM7025, MM7055, and MM8077.

I guess they just don't make them like they used to!

Once I upgraded to Atmos models, thats when problems begin. Marantz 7010 needed new hdmi board, Marantz 7011 is being repaired now for no audio or video (pass through works fine), Denon 8500 - went through 3 units before I got a working one, Denon 4500, went through 2 units.

I was going to trade in my Marantz 7011 for a Denon X3700H, and then, got the bad news about the upgrade exchange program :(

Also, recently, my Marantz amps have been having issues. One MM7055 and one MM7025 are making loud humming noises, while all the other devices are silent.

So, although I loved having separates, I am going back to Denon X8500H for my theater! I ordered it last week from Magnolia, so should have it by the end of the month!

If it doesn't arrive by October, I may be able to get them to update my order to the X8500HA so that I don't have to mail it in for 8k board upgrade etc.. (then, I would have to wait until 12.2020 or January 2021)

I just wish support could be better, but, they say they are doing the best they can during covid...
I have a Denon 2500 running 5.1 and hooked to a computer in the den, a 5200 running 7.1 in the garage and the 8500 hooked to 15 speakers and 4 subs in the living room. I might whine about Denon's support, but I have no complaints with their AVRs and I am having lots of fun with HEOS. I hope you get your issues solved soon.

Reactions: Bejoy

·
Premium Member
88,951 Posts
I have a Denon 2500 running 5.1 and hooked to a computer in the den, a 5200 running 7.1 in the garage and the 8500 hooked to 15 speakers and 4 subs in the living room. I might whine about Denon's support, but I have no complaints with their AVRs and I am having lots of fun with HEOS. I hope you get your issues solved soon.
Especially if you are using either Alexa or Google Assistant. My brother-in-law was visiting awhile back and asked if I knew anything about home automation as we were eating dinner. I responded, you mean like this ... "Alexa play Pandora to Living Room (my HEOS 5 speaker)" and the speaker started playing music. I then said "Alexa ... raise volume to Living Room" and the speaker volume increased. He was impressed. :)

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Especially if you are using either Alexa or Google Assistant. My brother-in-law was visiting awhile back and asked if I knew anything about home automation as we were eating dinner. I responded, you mean like this ... "Alexa play Pandora to Living Room (my HEOS 5 speaker)" and the speaker started playing music. I then said "Alexa ... raise volume to Living Room" and the speaker volume increased. He was impressed. :)
My wife thinks I’m a dork for doing stuff like that LOL.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My wife thinks I’m a dork for doing stuff like that LOL.
You’re wife does have a point. Especially if you have to yell at Alexa more then once as opposed to using the remote

·
Registered
199 Posts
There is more than one device named ..... which one do you want?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well, it’s actually telling Siri to turn out lights and set the alarm as I’m running out the door. But, still....
I have similar setup, Lutron lights, HEOS music, Rachio water sprinkler, SimpliSafe alarm, voice controlled by Alexa.

·
Vendor
27,532 Posts
Yes, Denon support has been particularly bad recently. I remember when I used to call and get support pretty quickly and the support people were helpful and friendly. It doesn't appear that way anymore and not sure if it will ever be back to how it was before? Denon support is now similar to Onkyo support which is pretty bad.
Hopefully that is just a Covid thing and they are just short staffed right now.......

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Saw posts here regarding Denon customer support. My just 3 year old X4300H network board went ka-put, I posted in the 2016 thread on it.
Called when service opened, got direction .
But, my existing account was “deleted”, see below

I made this Denon account September 2017, registered my 4 AVR’s there; 4308CI, 4520CI, 4300H, 8500H.
Had customer service claims conversation documented there.
Had not accessed it in a while.
Tried 2 days ago, could not.
Did the forget password / send new one, not sent.
Firefox history shows it.
Even better they, during my just now 20 minutes phone discussion, customer support on their internal servers see my 4 registered AVR’s.
But, they have no way to re-connect me.

So, login and see if you can access your prior registration’s ...

Sent from my iPhone 11Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Recently got the 8500 and set up 13.2 (7.2.6). I am using XPA Gen3 3 Channel amp for fronts and center. I have selected 13.1Ch mode for this. Is this the correct one or need to select pre-amp mode?

·
Premium Member
88,951 Posts
Recently got the 8500 and set up 13.2 (7.2.6). I am using XPA Gen3 3 Channel amp for fronts and center. I have selected 13.1Ch mode for this. Is this the correct one or need to select pre-amp mode?
The first one is correct. The Pre-Amp mode is only when ALL speakers (regardless of total) are being externally powered.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The first one is correct. The Pre-Amp mode is only when ALL speakers (regardless of total) are being externally powered.
Thanks. So in this case the Denon Amp will still act as pre-amp(turn off amp section) for the three channels and leave it to external amp?

6861 - 6880 of 7085 Posts