AVS Forum banner

6881 - 6900 of 7006 Posts

·
Premium Member
88,885 Posts
Thanks. So in this case the Denon Amp will still act as pre-amp(turn off amp section) for the three channels and leave it to external amp?
Act as a pre-amp? Yes. Turn off the internal LCR amps? No. In order to turn off the LCR internal amps you'll have to set AMP ASSIGN = Custom and then set LCR to "None" as noted in the chart at the bottom of post #2.

·
Registered
555 Posts
About to dive in and join the club of the 8500 owners 😎

The last point stopping me is the following one:
  • i am configured as 9.2.4, with Wides
  • 8500 DSU did/does not use Wides
  • Right now, the new Denon 13 processing channels units like 6700 have the new version of DSU managing wides
  • I know the 8500 is supposed to receive a firmware update adding that feature.
So now the killer question, has this update been released yet or not ?
If not, does anyone know when it will come ?
And what about DTS:X Pro ?

·
Vendor
27,467 Posts
Saw posts here regarding Denon customer support. My just 3 year old X4300H network board went ka-put, I posted in the 2016 thread on it.
Called when service opened, got direction .
But, my existing account was “deleted”, see below
Well at least you are covered :)

·
Registered
304 Posts

• Right now, the new Denon 13 processing channels units like 6700 have the new version of DSU managing wides
The DTS:X Pro along with Dolby's Atmos Height Virtualizer & DSU's Front Wides support update may arrive in October next month if not then December most likely, any fans of DSU's Center Spread feature will have it omitted once this update takes place.

·
Premium Member
88,885 Posts

As noted in post #2, the DTS:X Pro update has been scheduled to be released no later than December 2020.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
I was having issues with the HEOS app and the Alexa skill so I went to my Denon account website and it couldn't find my account. I had to re-register and consequently I have no previous support cases. Anyone have this happen to them where their account is gone? How strange? :unsure:

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,887
The DTS:X Pro along with Dolby's Atmos Height Virtualizer & DSU's Front Wides support update may arrive in October next month if not then December most likely, any fans of DSU's Center Spread feature will have it omitted once this update takes place.
The Center Spread feature is mostly relevant to music listening, and if you have the 8500 you also have Auromatic upmixing, which IMO is much better for music. So the loss of Center Spread for DSU will not matter to me vs the gain of Front Wide upmixing!

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
The Center Spread feature is mostly relevant to music listening, and if you have the 8500 you also have Auromatic upmixing, which IMO is much better for music. So the loss of Center Spread for DSU will not matter to me vs the gain of Front Wide upmixing!
Can't wait for this firmware !

·
Registered
304 Posts
That may be true, what irks me is that for the select few individuals that have appreciated the Center Spread feature for the past couple of years will have to get used to an alternate upmixer all because Sound United have refused to utilise larger memory to facilitate both Atmos Height Virtualizer & DSU's Center Spread, I think it's funny they are bothering to implement Dolby's virtualizer on the X8500H as most owners probably have height-based systems & will feel it's a redundant feature addition.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Got my new Denon AVR-X8500H today!! Back in the 8500 owners club :)

Marantz 8805 is now setup in the living room. Its late now (1:38am in Dallas, so will run Audyssey(s) tomorrow

Happy to have a perfect 8500 again

·
Registered
495 Posts
Finally can confirm while playing DTS Tracks, denon would upmix a 5.1 track to 7.1 but not any of the heights are active even though the info. Says they are - checked with ladder up to both Top Middles and Rear Heights.
Finally tried it! If It is the 5.1 track, it will play on the 7 ear level speakers (as expected). The HEIGHTS will not engage unless you turn on NEURAL :X

·
Registered
495 Posts
Finally can confirm while playing DTS Tracks, denon would upmix a 5.1 track to 7.1 but not any of the heights are active even though the info. Says they are - checked with ladder up to both Top Middles and Rear Heights.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you press the Green movie button, you can get it to DTS Master track and it will show heights on info, but, no heights are firing! Ladder confirmation!!

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Does anyone use the front HDMI port? I like the clean look of having no wires showing on front of unit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So after using Technicls SL1210mk2, as my vinyl source, on my AVC X8500 - I made the decsion to give it something more deserving
Picked up a Technics Sl1200G this morning. Looks much better on the rack. Now completely broke but happy.....

Reactions: HTRAK and Bejoy

·
Registered
495 Posts
So after using Technicls SL1210mk2, as my vinyl source, on my AVC X8500 - I made the decsion to give it something more deserving
Picked up a Technics Sl1200G this morning. Looks much better on the rack. Now completely broke but happy.....
Love that Technics!!! Looks amazing!

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
You are ever the optimist on the front-wide paradigm, and I applaud you for that, because your wishing is contagious. Nevertheless, my wide speakers are one of very few disappointments I have experienced since buying the 8500.

My knowledge limitations in installing and deploying the speakers conceded, most of the time the front-wide speakers were silent and simply ornamental, which is why they are now a second set of surrounds.

Still, hope springs eternal; I am eager to refresh the 8500 with new and exciting formats. “Our continuing mission….to go where no one has gone before.”

By contrast, referencing Auromatic, the more I use it, the more I like it.

Reactions: vn800art and Bejoy
6881 - 6900 of 7006 Posts