AVS Forum banner

6941 - 6960 of 7143 Posts

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,042 Posts
Obviously you have been lucky so far as compared to the many other users on the forum with Hdmi failures, on Denon AVR's mostly just after the 5 yr warranty expires, not that that mattered either, as the units were unrepairable due to the unavailability of the hdmi chip in use at the time.
Interesting. I'm on my 4th Denon. My first one, almost 14 years old, I'm still using in a secondary system. I had a Yamaha previously that works as far as I know, but I didn't like it. I got an Onkyo that had HDMI failures after the warranty was up. Then, another Onkyo that just stopped working one day. Fortunately, it's replacement was already there, as I had gotten bored with the Onkyo, and hadn't installed the top of the Denon I had already purchased that got obsoleted and sold on eBay.. Another Denon, the wifi card died under warranty, got it back in two weeks, sold it on ebay and am on my 4th, with no problems at all. All but the first one on clearance prices.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You need to choose the source for Zone 2. Press the Zone Select button on the upper left of the remote until Z2 is displayed on the upper left of the remotes display then press the button for the source you want. The display on the AVR will briefly display Zone 2 and the source you chose. Note that if your remote is in its default set-up pressing some source buttons (like Blu-ray) will switch the remote to controlling that source, press the AVR button at the top of the remote, second from left, to return the remote to controlling the AVR.
Morgan
Thanks for the help Morgan & JD Smoothie as well.
Just tested your suggestion above. I’m getting the source for zone 2 patio no problem. I’m using Direct TV and switching it to stereo/multi channel stereo as JD suggests and still no sound to zone 2. I checked Direct TV’s settings for audio and Dolby audio is set to on. If I turn Dolby audio off on Direct TV I do get sound to my patio speakers. However, I would have to change these settings on direct tv on/off every time I would want to listen to direct tv on the patio. Doesn’t the Denon have built in digital audio conversion? I am not using a separate amplifier to power the patio.
Just using the speaker connections directly on the Denon. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Just tested your suggestion above. I’m getting the source for zone 2 patio no problem. I’m using Direct TV and switching it to stereo/multi channel stereo as JD suggests and still no sound to zone 2. I checked Direct TV’s settings for audio and Dolby audio is set to on. If I turn Dolby audio off on Direct TV I do get sound to my patio speakers. However, I would have to change these settings on direct tv on/off every time I would want to listen to direct tv on the patio. Doesn’t the Denon have built in digital audio conversion? I am not using a separate amplifier to power the patio.
jdsmoothie will have to confirm but I believe that the DAC for zone 2 can only handle two-channel LPCM so any other signal won't work (your Direct TV box probably defaults to two-channel LPCM with Dolby off). If your Direct TV box has analog outs that are simultaneously active you may be able to run them to a different input and use that for zone 2 while still having Dolby in the main zone.
Morgan

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
jdsmoothie will have to confirm but I believe that the DAC for zone 2 can only handle two-channel LPCM so any other signal won't work (your Direct TV box probably defaults to two-channel LPCM with Dolby off). If your Direct TV box has analog outs that are simultaneously active you may be able to run them to a different input and use that for zone 2 while still having Dolby in the main zone.
Morgan
Correct.

I suggested "ALL ZONE STEREO" (not STEREO or MULTI CH STEREO) which down mixes the main zone to stereo audio and then allows it to pass to Zone 2; otherwise, the source must be 2.0 "before" it reaches the AVR, either by setting "Dolby" on the DirecTV box to OFF or using analog audio cables as Morgan has suggested.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If this has been discussed, my apologies. Will the 8500 be getting the DTS X pro upgrade in November?

Reactions: JamHandMan

·
Registered
26,803 Posts
DTS X Pro: November or December 2020
Dolby Surround Upmixer: Never confirmed. Maybe never?
I'm pretty sure the DSU upgrade was also confirmed to take place in the same firmware update.

Reactions: johnnyboy632

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm pretty sure the DSU upgrade was also confirmed to take place in the same firmware update.
I'm guessing the Audyssey update ( saving 2 different room corrections on the AVR) will not be included? ;)

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
I'm guessing the Audyssey update ( saving 2 different room corrections on the AVR) will not be included? ;)
Correct. However, you can still save a dedicated EQ on a USB thumb drive or the MultEQ Editor app although it does take about a minute to either LOAD or stream to the AVR.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So xbox one x features Variable Refresh Rate with Hdmi 2.0, if I pass the Signal through the 8500 the option is not available. Any idea how to fix that?
Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps you mean the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer?

Dolby Surround Upmixer was released several years prior to the the release of the X8500H and is therefore already available on the X8500H.
I guess that would explain why it was never announced as a future update...it was already a feature.

I thought there was a sound mode on the x6700h that uses the front wides that the x8500h currently isn't capable of (other than DTS:X Pro).

·
Registered
30,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,957
I guess that would explain why it was never announced as a future update...it was already a feature.

I thought there was a sound mode on the x6700h that uses the front wides that the x8500h currently isn't capable of (other than DTS:X Pro).
Yes, Dolby Surround Upmixer has been around for years, but the UPDATE that is coming will include a newer version that supports Front Wide output.

The X6700H was supposed to get this via update as well, but surprisingly ended up shipping with the new DSU version ready to go out of the gate. So it's in the wild, just waiting to release it to the X8500 + Marantz AV8805.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
"Pushed Back:" is a saying correctly used by you. Still the phrase seems to defy logic. If I were to say "I'm going back in time," the word back would mean the opposite of "pushed back." We say "pushed back" and we mean going forward. Logically it seems to me if we wanted to push some ahead in time we should say "pushed forward," but we don't. Next page please.

Reactions: vn800art

·
Registered
18,674 Posts
Yes, Dolby Surround Upmixer has been around for years, but the UPDATE that is coming will include a newer version that supports Front Wide output.

The X6700H was supposed to get this via update as well, but surprisingly ended up shipping with the new DSU version ready to go out of the gate. So it's in the wild, just waiting to release it to the X8500 + Marantz AV8805.
This will be a nice early Xmas present !

6941 - 6960 of 7143 Posts