AVS Forum banner

6961 - 6980 of 7143 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
"Pushed Back:" is a saying correctly used by you. Still the phrase seems to defy logic. If I were to say "I'm going back in time," the word back would mean the opposite of "pushed back." We say "pushed back" and we mean going forward. Logically it seems to me if we wanted to push some ahead in time we should say "pushed forward," but we don't. Next page please.
Love these semantic discussions. My read of the construct is that we're talking about relative time and "closeness". So December 2020 is closer than January 2021. If you draw a line with now at the origin point, then position December and January at appropriate distances along the line, January is further to the right, is further from now and so relatively speaking has been "pushed back" from December. Consider especially if you imagine you're standing at point "now" and looking through December at January further away in the distance - it's backward of December, not forward.

Normal transmission can now resume.

·
Registered
30,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,962
It's not an illogical phrase if you realize the context is RELATIVE TO YOU / NOW

For example, if someone is too close to you, and you push them away, you could say "I pushed them back", i.e. farther away.

That's what is happening here, the date is being "pushed farther away" from right now.

It only "defies logic" if you inappropriately conflate the "back" as used in "push back" as having the same meaning in context as the "back" used in "go back in time". Same word, different meaning. English!

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
It's not an illogical phrase if you realize the context is RELATIVE TO YOU / NOW

For example, if someone is too close to you, and you push them away, you could say "I pushed them back", i.e. farther away.

That's what is happening here, the date is being "pushed farther away" from right now.

It only "defies logic" if you inappropriately conflate the "back" as used in "push back" as having the same meaning in context as the "back" used in "go back in time". Same word, different meaning. English!
Yes English. :)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
And it makes for catchier movie titles. ‘Back to the Future’ sounds way better than ‘Forward to the Future’ LOL.
Or, for those of you too young to remember, "come on in out of the corn starch and dry your mukluks by the fire" while listening to:

·
Vendor
27,562 Posts
"Pushed Back:" is a saying correctly used by you. Still the phrase seems to defy logic. If I were to say "I'm going back in time," the word back would mean the opposite of "pushed back." We say "pushed back" and we mean going forward. Logically it seems to me if we wanted to push some ahead in time we should say "pushed forward," but we don't. Next page please.
Well if you are standing in place and you hear something behind you you would have to turn around and push it back....lol. I guess it would be proper just to use the word "pushed".

---It is a drag it was pushed, those gaming systems will be out next month.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
If you are using all 13 powered channels on this receiver how many watts/channel will you end up with?
If you are referring to Dolby Atmos via the 8500, that will depend upon how loud you turn up the volume and playing at reference would be deafening and could do damage to your ears, if prolonged. The only other time you would get 13 channels driven is in Multih-Channel Stereo and playing at reference would be insanely loud.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you are referring to Dolby Atmos via the 8500, that will depend upon how loud you turn up the volume and playing at reference would be deafening and could do damage to your ears, if prolonged. The only other time you would get 13 channels driven is in Multih-Channel Stereo and playing at reference would be insanely loud.
I'm just trying to understand how many watts per channel it's delivering if all 13 are hooked up and running.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I'm just trying to understand how many watts per channel it's delivering if all 13 are hooked up and running.
The other thing that I failed to mention was that at suppose reference the internal amps could clip and damage your tweeters. You don't want your amps clipping!! If you want to know how many watts is being consumed than hook into the power line a Kill-A-Watt and watch it run.

·
Registered
26,803 Posts
Manufacturers make a point of not providing that info. It's not especially relevant anyway, since no music source or movie soundtrack would ever play all 13 channels with the exact same sound at reference volume simultaneously. Both music and movies do the brunt of their work in the front channels, with surrounds and heights used to fill out the listening space.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The other thing that I failed to mention was that at suppose reference the internal amps could clip and damage your tweeters. You don't want your amps clipping!! If you want to know how many watts is being consumed than hook into the power line a Kill-A-Watt and watch it run.
I'm not trying to crank it up at reference, this is a 100% movie watching receiver and I just want good quality sound. I also know it's not healthy to send too few watts to your speakers so I want to make sure it can adequately feed all 13 without an external amp.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I'm not trying to crank it up at reference, this is a 100% movie watching receiver and I just want good quality sound. I also know it's not healthy to send too few watts to your speakers so I want to make sure it can adequately feed all 13 without an external amp.
Use your own ears to determine if it is adequate or not. Better yet, visit some other well done home theaters and listen.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Unfortunately only opinions seem to be available as answers to your question. Measurements of 11 and 13 channel AVR's with all channels driven, or more realistically defined loads by speaker/channel, in a attempt to match actual use on each channel, seem to be non-existent.

However it is straightforward to buy the X8500H and see how well it works in your use case. If you need more power then get an external power amplifier for the three front channels. The X8500H makes that easy to do. The preamps can be disconnected by channel from the internal power amplifiers so you'll get the best performance from each channel.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Unfortunately only opinions seem to be available as answers to your question. Measurements of 11 and 13 channel AVR's with all channels driven, or more realistically defined loads by speaker/channel, in a attempt to match actual use on each channel, seem to be non-existent.

However it is straightforward to buy the X8500H and see how well it works in your use case. If you need more power then get an external power amplifier for the three front channels. The X8500H makes that easy to do. The preamps can be disconnected by channel from the internal power amplifiers so you'll get the best performance from each channel.
That's actually very straight forward ambiguity which believe it or not is very helpful. The truthful answer is.....maybe. And if not, the 8500 is extremely easy to throw an amp on with the LCR and off I go. It's only money. Thanks for all the inputs on this question.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
That's actually very straight forward ambiguity which believe it or not is very helpful. The truthful answer is.....maybe. And if not, the 8500 is extremely easy to throw an amp on with the LCR and off I go. It's only money. Thanks for all the inputs on this question.
I’m extremely happy letting an external amp do the heavy lifting. The 8500 is powering four top speakers and two Zone2 speakers. The amp is powering LCR and four surround speakers. Sound is amazing and unlike a PrePro, no need for two external amps. As great as the 8500 is, I don’t think it’s going to drive 13 channels optimally.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I am not adding information, rather underlining what has been said above. In my case I am using external amps because I had them from prior configurations. You can see how I am using the 8500 below.

·
Registered
30,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,979
Does anybody know how to use blutooth headphones with the 8500? It only wants to connect to devices like my phone.
You can't, BT is an INPUT ONLY on the X8500H.

The ability to pair with BT headphones as an OUTPUT is a new feature on the current models, e.g. the X6700H.

6961 - 6980 of 7143 Posts