AVS Forum banner

6981 - 7000 of 7143 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you are using all 13 powered channels on this receiver how many watts/channel will you end up with?
You can use a UPS or a Killawatt to measure how much total power the receiver is drawing from the wall. I actually just did this a few days ago myself. Watts per channel will never be constant and most of the power will be going to the front speakers.

To give you a general idea here is my system. I have a 7.1.4 setup with speakers that are rated at 150w max on paper. I have an external amp that is powering the 3 front speakers and the Denon is handling the other 8 speakers. The subwoofer has its own power of course.

I have a 1500VA UPS that is connected to only the Denon, the Amp, and an Oppo Bluray player. So the UPS is reporting how much power is being used by all 11 speakers in total plus a few other things.

Most of the time the UPS was reporting under 200w even in action scenes. During heavy moments it would go above 200 and spike above 300. The only time I saw it go higher was the 747 demo when it spiked above 500. This is at Audyssey calibrated reference volume.

Obviously this is not an exact measurement but it gives you a rough idea. TLDR: Its not as much as you'd think.

·
Registered
30,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,982
They should correct that with the December update. :mad:
Unlikely, unfortunately, as that's a hardware change not a software update.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Reactions: satyab

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
My wife has announced we are going to replace the flooring in the living room, which houses my audio/video gear, from carpet to laminate. I will have to disassemble the gear and move it out of the way: no small task. The good news is I will be able to dust everything off, replace some old cables, and maybe streamline some of my configuration.

I have done a fairly good job of marking all the wires, but that will have to be checked, so I can figure out how to put things back together.

When I do put things back together, I may use my Denon 5200 temporarily, and box up the 8500 in anticipation of the upcoming upgrade.

I guess I will be learning how the sound will be distributed on the laminate floor as opposed to the sound of a carpet floor.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
My wife has announced we are going to replace the flooring in the living room, which houses my audio/video gear, from carpet to laminate. I will have to disassemble the gear and move it out of the way: no small task. The good news is I will be able to dust everything off, replace some old cables, and maybe streamline some of my configuration.

I have done a fairly good job of marking all the wires, but that will have to be checked, so I can figure out how to put things back together.

When I do put things back together, I may use my Denon 5200 temporarily, and box up the 8500 in anticipation of the upcoming upgrade.

I guess I will be learning how the sound will be distributed on the laminate floor as opposed to the sound of a carpet floor.

Any thoughts? Anyone?
You need an area rug on the floor in front of the MLP, it will make a huge difference in eliminating audio reflections from the laminate floor.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
You need an area rug on the floor in front of the MLP, it will make a huge difference in eliminating audio reflections from the laminate floor.
Ok - I will do that.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Keep in mind, the upgrade has been pushed back to April - June 2021.
Yeah right - thanks. I probably can't do without the 8500 that long. The 5200 will stay in the garage.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yikes, I thought that was just for the "A" Model - didn't realize the DTS-X Pro update was running the same timeline!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Question about using a universal remote (Logitech Harmony Elite) to specify the Denon Receiver Main Zone (Zone 1), Zone 2, or Zone 3 (which I think is "Monitor 2"?) when changing activities.

Take these two simple activities I'm trying to create

Denon Zone SelectDenon HDMI InputTV HDMI Input
Main ZoneBlu-RayHDMI 1
Zone 2GameHDMI 2

I'm having trouble understanding how to make this work the way I intend.

On the Denon Remote, I do it like this:
1. press [Zone Select] 0, 1, or 2 times to select the desired zone, then
2. press the desired [Input] i.e. "Blu-Ray" or "Game"

However, on the Harmony Elite, it only has the inputs programmed and does not specify which zone it is selecting it from. SO, the Denon receives the input command relative to whatever Zone it is currently set to.

I could "learn" the Zone Select button to my remote, but since it's a toggle, it's hard to predict where I'm at when jumping between activities on the Harmony Elite.

What would help, is if I had an IR command that SPECIFICALLY selected "Main Zone + Input X" or "Zone 2 + Input Y", etc. but I can't find how to do that.

Does this make sense? Any ideas on how to make this work like I'm trying to describe? Or, am I totally thinking of a dumb idea that's not meant to work like this?

Thank you

[UPDATE]

Of course, I wrote this question, then an idea jumped in my head. Maybe I'm wrong that the Zone Select toggles an IR command, maybe it toggles different IR codes from the remote.... yep, I think I was wrong :)

Basically, when I learn a command on the Harmony Elite - then select Zone and then an input on the Denon Remote. And then test doing that by selecting a different zone and the same input --- they get registered as TWO separate commands. So, I think I can solve this problem by learning all the various combinations of Zone and Input and then creating activities using those learned commands.

I did one quick test and I think it's working out like this:
1. Edit Devices
2. Select the Denon Receiver
3. Select "ADD / FIX COMMAND"
4. Select "COMMAND MISSING"
5. Go through the process for the Zone + Input you want to learn
6. * Repeat steps 1-5 for all the combinations you want *
7. Create an activity like normal, just select the default generic input you want to use
8. Edit the activity
9. Select "EDIT START SEQUENCE"
10. Select "ADD A STEP"
11. Select "DEVICE" --> Choose the Denon Reciver
12. Select "COMMAND" --> Assign the custom Zone + Input you want to use
13. Finish out and save the Activity

Hope that helps anyone wondering same question.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yikes, I thought that was just for the "A" Model - didn't realize the DTS-X Pro update was running the same timeline!
The spring upgrade is only for the “A” upgrade. DTS:X pro update is still scheduled for anytime in November or December 2020!!

·
Premium Member
88,992 Posts
The "upgrade" refers to the "A" upgrade as well as the release of the X8500HA direct from the factory.

The "update" refers to the DTS:X Pro firmware update which is due to be released by Dec 2020.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Question about using a universal remote (Logitech Harmony Elite) to specify the Denon Receiver Main Zone (Zone 1), Zone 2, or Zone 3 (which I think is "Monitor 2"?) when changing activities.

Take these two simple activities I'm trying to create

Denon Zone SelectDenon HDMI InputTV HDMI Input
Main ZoneBlu-RayHDMI 1
Zone 2GameHDMI 2

I'm having trouble understanding how to make this work the way I intend.
The solution I use is to program Main Zone, Z2, and Z3 as three separate devices. By including all three in any given activity, you have the option of setting a given function as the default as well as otherwise controlling them independently via the device settings.

Reactions: Bejoy

·
Registered
462 Posts
What would help, is if I had an IR command that SPECIFICALLY selected "Main Zone + Input X" or "Zone 2 + Input Y", etc. but I can't find how to do that.
Attached is the Denon AVR-X8500H Remote Code List. Pick out the desired discrete codes and get it into a format that Logitech likes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yeah right - thanks. I probably can't do without the 8500 that long. The 5200 will stay in the garage.
The "upgrade" refers to the "A" upgrade as well as the release of the X8500HA direct from the factory.

The "update" refers to the DTS:X Pro firmware update which is due to be released by Dec 2020.
OH... in that case you might want to let @Alanlee know this then, as he was boxing up his 8500 in the anticipation of the upgrade ("the dtsxpro update") on his current 8500 and not boxing up his 8500 for the upgrade to a new HA model lol

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
OH... in that case you might want to let @Alanlee know this then, as he was boxing up his 8500 in the anticipation of the upgrade ("the dtsxpro update") on his current 8500 and not boxing up his 8500 for the upgrade to a new HA model lol
So many upgrades, so many devices and formats, so much to remember, so much to push back. I remain in a state of confusion. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello all. Does anyone know if MPEG-H decoding will be coming to the X8500H? I just noticed that it is listed as a sound format for the AVR-A110 and was curious if it was something that would possible on the X8500H. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can you hear a big difference in sound quality between your 8500 and 5200?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hello all. Does anyone know if MPEG-H decoding will be coming to the X8500H? I just noticed that it is listed as a sound format for the AVR-A110 and was curious if it was something that would possible on the X8500H. Thanks in advance.
That is correct as the A110 is based on the X8500H it too will receive MPEG-H support in a forthcoming update most likely when it will receive the DTS:X Pro update, for reference here is AD's Decoder Certification document, you'll note the ADSP-21573 (Griffin Lite) mentions MPEG-H decoder is "Coming Soon" https://www.analog.com/media/en/dsp-documentation/certificates/Decoder-Certification-Final.pdf

6981 - 7000 of 7143 Posts