AVS Forum banner

8021 - 8040 of 8106 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have a 7.1 system with the 8500 only driving the surround back speakers, and trusty Denon POA-T10's driving the rest (useful as the POA-T10's have A and B speaker outputs, and I have 2 sets of surround speakers). I mostly did it that way as that was how my old system was and it was the least work to do. When the wallet has recovered and I add height speakers the 8500 will drive those as well.

I suspect that the POA-T10's are similar in quality to the amps in the 8500 but good to know that as they are 20+ years old if they die I should not need to replace them.
Biggest overkill I've seen in a while hehe - those surround backs must be floating in clouds lol

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts
Though I agree with the wattage, wouldn't it be better to get an amp for just the front 2 towers or 3 channels alone and let the denon handle the rest as opposed to put the entire base layer on separate amps? No wrong answers here...
That is what I would do, in fact that is what I did :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Though I agree with the wattage, wouldn't it be better to get an amp for just the front 2 towers or 3 channels alone and let the denon handle the rest as opposed to put the entire base layer on separate amps? No wrong answers here...
I used the Emotiva XPA2 gen 3 (300 watts per channel) for the towers and 8500 for the rest. I think it does make a difference when listening to music (not sure there is any benefit when watching movies though since never watch at reference levels).

I am currently upgrading the XPA2 to a XPA3 in order to also externally amplify the center (the front 3 channels). Will see if it is worth the upgrade to give 300 watts to the center channel as well. It may not be since I am using all DefTech speakers..

Reactions: johnnyboy632

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used the Emotiva XPA2 gen 3 (300 watts per channel) for the towers and 8500 for the rest. I think it does make a difference when listening to music (not sure there is any benefit when watching movies though since never watch at reference levels).

I am currently upgrading the XPA2 to a XPA3 in order to also externally amplify the center (the front 3 channels). Will see if it is worth the upgrade to give 300 watts to the center channel as well. It may not be since I am using all DefTech speakers..
But what kind of speakers do you use? I have a gold c150 monitor with 150w rms and the denon already moves the drivers to the point of frightening me because it can burn them ... it is true that denon has a lot of power and in my case I only use 9 channels and I turn off the rest internally, which I noticed the most When using an external ampli it was a rotel rb is that I improved in the stereo music.

·
Registered
542 Posts
But what kind of speakers do you use? I have a gold c150 monitor with 150w rms and the denon already moves the drivers to the point of frightening me because it can burn them ... it is true that denon has a lot of power and in my case I only use 9 channels and I turn off the rest internally, which I noticed the most When using an external ampli it was a rotel rb is that I improved in the stereo music.
All Definitive Technology:
Fronts = BP-8060ST
Center = CS-8060HD
Surrounds = DI 5.5BPS
Surround Backs = DI 5.5 BPS
Front Heights = DI 6.5S
Rear Heights = DI 6.5S
Top Middles = DI 6.5S
Voice of God = DI 6.5S
Center Height = DI 6.5R

(also have a second set of surrounds, which are also DI 5.5BPS, powered by a Marantz MM7025)

Honestly don't think I need the Emotiva XPA2 for the towers, they sound great with internal amps for music as well.. I just figured I would save some headroom by not requiring the X8500 to have to drive all 13 speakers at once

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fronts = BP-8060ST
Center = CS-8060HD
Surrounds = DI 5.5BPS
Front Heights = DI 6.5S
Rear Heights = DI 6.5S
Top Middles = DI 6.5S
Voice of God = DI 6.5S
Center Height = DI 6.5R

(also have a second set of surrounds, which are also DI 5.5BPS, powered by a Marantz MM7025)

Honestly don't think I need the Emotiva XPA2 for the towers, they sound great with internal amps for music as well.. I just figured I would save some headroom by not requiring the X8500 to have to drive all 13 speakers at once
Hello, I was asking you because I see many of you using 300w stages and really any tower is well fed with real 100w! By the way I had the range of emotional basx 5175 that has nothing to do with an xpa2 but I did not think they were the best in stereo sound!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Definitely there is no wrong answers, if you were a 2ch audiophile definitely get a 2ch amp and a 5ch for the rest of the beds but if your more into movies a 7ch would be the cheapest way to go but others might have a different opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Fronts = BP-8060ST
Center = CS-8060HD
Surrounds = DI 5.5BPS
Front Heights = DI 6.5S
Rear Heights = DI 6.5S
Top Middles = DI 6.5S
Voice of God = DI 6.5S
Center Height = DI 6.5R

What do you listen that fires up all 13 channels at the same time?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
So, under that condition all channels will be driven hard at the same time? WOW!
They don't get driven that hard because I don't come even close to playing at reference and the dominant wattage using speaker is probably the center speaker, aside from the sub's. Try playing Tenet which is over the top loud, making it hard to believe that anyone could play it at reference and not destroy something (your ear drums or your speakers, perhaps).:)

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
They don't get driven that hard because I don't come even close to playing at reference and the dominant wattage using speaker is probably the center speaker, aside from the sub's. Try playing Tenet which is over the top loud, making it hard to believe that anyone could play it at reference and not destroy something (your ear drums or your speakers, perhaps).:)
Yeah, TENET gave me a pretty good back massage (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
As noted in the image, select AMP ASSIGN = "CUSTOM" noting that the AVR can both power and operate a maximum of 13 speakers. Adding an external amp does not add the capability to operate additional speakers.
i have the very same question. I would like my Fronts L/R mains to be powered by my external amp, so I disconnected both Speaker cables and connected it to my external amp, and run RCA from the pre amp outof the X8500 Fronts L/R to my external amp.

The confusion is, what settings do I set in Amp Assign page? I use Custom and then hit Settings. I obviously would like to disconnect the X8500 internal amp from powering the Fronts L/R so that it has more juice for the rest of my speakers.

Seems like I can set either to Fronts or to None and I still get sound from my speakers (which is now connected to my external amp).I feel I am doing something wrong.

Appreciate anyone’s help on this.

thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
13 channels all active at one time for me is only for Dolby Atmos discs, or when doing streaming for Atmos. The surrounds and heights don't require much power, so, it is probably overkill to use the external amp. When listening to music I use stereo most of the time and occasionally experiment with Auro 3d when listening to music.

But, nothing really uses all 13 channels driven hard at the same time that I know of!

Reactions: Matt2026

·
Registered
542 Posts
i have the very same question. I would like my Fronts L/R mains to be powered by my external amp, so I disconnected both Speaker cables and connected it to my external amp, and run RCA from the pre amp outof the X8500 Fronts L/R to my external amp.

The confusion is, what settings do I set in Amp Assign page? I use Custom and then hit Settings. I obviously would like to disconnect the X8500 internal amp from powering the Fronts L/R so that it has more juice for the rest of my speakers.

Seems like I can set either to Fronts or to None and I still get sound from my speakers (which is now connected to my external amp).I feel I am doing something wrong.

View attachment 3078424

Appreciate anyone’s help on this.

thanks!
You are doing it right! When you set the front to none (on custom mode), it is shutting off the internal amps to the fronts. You get sound from your speakers since you are connecting those via pre-outs.

Are you getting sound out of BOTH the preouts AND the front speaker posts when you set it to none?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hello, I have a question, according to amir, I measured a sinad of 85db with internal amplifiers. because so much difference in sinad to use external amplification, the dac is not the same? And second question I have bought a dac topping d90 which is better than the internal dac and I am wondering where I should connect it to skip the dac of the x8500h but use its amplification !! Will I improve the sinad in this way or is it only possible through external amplification?

·
Registered
19,074 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty of movies that do in my library. I frequently watch movies at reference too. Hacksaw Ridge, Blackhawk Down and Midway can get pretty damn loud! But I do have a Parasound A 52+ amp running my Martin Logan speakers ( W / L / C / R / W channels ).

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
A better question would be what do we listen to that's Not firing all 13 channels lol, if its not discrete sounds, its usually upmixed 13.

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
233 Posts
13 channels all active at one time for me is only for Dolby Atmos discs, or when doing streaming for Atmos. The surrounds and heights don't require much power, so, it is probably overkill to use the external amp. When listening to music I use stereo most of the time and occasionally experiment with Auro 3d when listening to music.

==> But, nothing really uses all 13 channels driven hard at the same time that I know of!
Unless you select "All Channel Stereo" sound mode.

That's fun for parties and to exercise All Speaker channels...

8021 - 8040 of 8106 Posts