AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 20789 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubledgemini /forum/post/20455545

I was just on some of the other forums...and they were talking about the avr 3311 and the 991 which are twins...what do think about stepping up to one of these models as they are very well discounted because of the new models to come...would you guys go for one of these or just spring for the 2112

Look at the 3311CI, I have one and totally love it. You should be able to get a new one for around 8 delivered to your door.

Check out all that it has, as it is one very nice AVR, and for that price well worth it, as the 3312 will be closer to one Grand.

·
Registered
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound /forum/post/20455572

JWhy is this?

because Denon decided to remove them

connections change / disappear all the time with successive models of receivers. we can only speculate as to the reasons but generally it's due to obsolescence of the inputs.

the optical out was really of very, very limited use. It could ONLY be used as a "loop" for a digital recorder with a corresponding optical input, and no other audio (analog or HDMI) could be "converted" to the optical out...

as far as I can tell, the 3312ci is NOT Sirius capable, there is no connector on the back as you point out and there is no mention in the manual.

·
Registered
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubledgemini /forum/post/20455545

I was just on some of the other forums...and they were talking about the avr 3311 and the 991 which are twins...what do think about stepping up to one of these models as they are very well discounted because of the new models to come...would you guys go for one of these or just spring for the 2112

I would definitely look into that route if it was a larger room and/or dedicated theater. The 3311/991 will have MultEQ XT, more input/output options, more power, Audyssey DSX, and if you get the 3311 you will also have pre-outs in case you decide to add an external amp in the future. It's definitely a higher-end, more fully featured unit.

for a smaller room, moderate-volume living room type setup, it probably won't matter as much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok, I have to admit that I am new to this site and that I just know enough to dangerous... but I am looking at upgrading my overall system (I currently have a 13 yr old Yamaha) and I am considering either the Denon 3311 or the 3312 (possibly the Yamaha rx-v867, but am shying away from that now)... are the input/outputs the biggest changes to the Denon AVRs or is there "internal" processing that is different as well? Do they both upscale analog and digital to 1080p? If i install Front High speakers along with the surround backs... will the AVR automatically change to whatever is necessary depending on the "surround mode" I put it in?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20454012

In a dedicated theater, I would think you'd want to add DSX Front wide speakers to expand the surround field ... and in that case the 3312CI is the only model to offer DSX. Would you ever want to display a video source on both the HT screen AND the family room TV at the same time? If so, again, the 3312CI would be the only model that offers this feature. Now if you can spring for the 4311, with the exception of not being able to display the GUI over 3D video, the same features are offered as well as upgrading to the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 and being able to expand up to a 11.2 setup.

I am not adding DSX front wides at this time due to lack of space (width) and the walls are already drywalled and I did not plan for this. I would however LOVE to display the same movie or tv show (superbowl) on a tv in the other room of the basement if I could? How is this a possibility with the 3312 and how would I go about wiring it up? If you want to pm me your answer as to not clog this forum I would understand.

I dont think the 4311 can be had for anywhere close to the 3312.......can it?!?!

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve /forum/post/20455711

I am not adding DSX front wides at this time due to lack of space (width) and the walls are already drywalled and I did not plan for this. I would however LOVE to display the same movie or tv show (superbowl) on a tv in the other room of the basement if I could? How is this a possibility with the 3312 and how would I go about wiring it up? If you want to pm me your answer as to not clog this forum I would understand.

I dont think the 4311 can be had for anywhere close to the 3312.......can it?!?!

The 3312CI has 2 HDMI Monitor outs (p. 108) that can both be selected to output a single video source to each of 2 TVs (limited to the lowest resolution if both are not the same resolution). No, the 4311CI is still about 2x the cost, just saying if it was in the budget.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My room is; i believe to be 13 by 21...with two def tech bp6's bipolar loudspeakers...4 def tech pro 100...and the center channel is pro 200..which I think now is called the 2000 it's basically the same and my sub is def tech 10 inch 250 watts which now called the pro 1000... So do you think that the 3311/991 would be right for me..oh yea my display is a 55 inch Sony led 3d tv

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound /forum/post/20455572

Also, the 3312CI does not have any Dig. Audio Optical OUT connector any longer, and the 3311 did have both of these.

I noticed that on the 2112CI, too. No audio outputs at all (other than the analog-limited multi-zone outs).

That's gonna make it hard to connect my wireless headphones!

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubledgemini /forum/post/20455881

My room is; i believe to be 13 by 21...with two def tech bp6's bipolar loudspeakers...4 def tech pro 100...and the center channel is pro 200..which I think now is called the 2000 it's basically the same and my sub is def tech 10 inch 250 watts which now called the pro 1000... So do you think that the 3311/991 would be right for me..oh yea my display is a 55 inch Sony led 3d tv

Either of those would be more than enough as those DT speakers are fairly efficient at 92db @ 8 Ω. See this is how it works .... as a rough estimate of how much power the AVR will need to provide (on average .. not peak) take the efficiency of the front L/R speakers and subtract 10db for sitting an average distance of 12' from the speakers (92-10 = 82db) so at 1W of power from the AVR your speakers are outputting about 82db. Now consider how loud the test tones are at 75db (when you get the AVR) and your speakers are 5db louder than the test tones. So your speakers are actually drawing

82db @ 1W

85db @ 2W

88db @ 4W

91db @ 8W

94db @ 16W

97db @ 32W

Estimated average TV listening level 60-70db. Average movie listening level 70-85db.

Per OSHA standards ... over 4 hours listening at 95db can cause hearing damage.

Moral of this story ... getting speakers just 3db more efficient is equivalent to getting an AVR that is 2x the power (ie. going from 86db speakers to 89db speakers = going from a 90W AVR to a 180W AVR).

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol /forum/post/20456081

I noticed that on the 2112CI, too. No audio outputs at all (other than the analog-limited multi-zone outs).

That's gonna make it hard to connect my wireless headphones!

Unless of course your headphones take an analog input then you're good to go with the Zone 2 preouts.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubledgemini /forum/post/20455881

Yep. I would go 3311/991 all the way. Also, the 3311 and 991 are twin models but the 3311 has the flip down panel on the front as well as preamp outputs, zone 3, and a couple other features.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20456189

Unless of course your headphones take an analog input then you're good to go with the Zone 2 preouts.

They do -- analog or optical -- but the pre-outs won't allow me to listen to anything connected to the HDMI or SP/DIF (for BR and HTPC). I guess I could use a passive splitter for the optical from the HTPC and then run analog from the BR, but what a pain!

Why is Denon dropping output connectors? Are they that costly to include?

·
Premium Member
91,824 Posts
There's apparently no widespread use of the optical out jack. You would still need an optical splitter using one of last year's models as the optical out jack only works with the matching optical in jack. Might be just as easy connecting it to an HDMI/analog splitter. Check forum sponsor Monoprice for various splitters that are available.

·
Registered
427 Posts
^^ Monoprice would, of course, be my go-to solution. (As always!)

Just sad that I would be taking a functionality step backward from my 1999-model Sony ....

·
Registered
30,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol
They do -- analog or optical -- but the pre-outs won't allow me to listen to anything connected to the HDMI or SP/DIF (for BR and HTPC).
neither would the old optical out. Its use was very restricted as I noted a few posts up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie
No worries ... as long as you can limit your main zone to 5.1 you can use the Amp Assign/Surr Back speaker posts for a powered Zone 2.
Thanks jdsmoothie!! I feel much better now...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie
By "seek" do you mean the AUTO SEARCH (cue) "" buttons (p. 43)?
I don't think the > do what I want.

I have many cds that I've encoded as one big file rather than one file per song. All of my stuff is in either in mp3 or flac format.

The first thing I want is the ability to "fast forward" through mp3 and flac files. By FF I mean the way VCR's used to work. You press the FF button and the video plays fast. Rockbox does a great job of this on handheld mp3 players. So far all I can do is play my albums from beginning to end on the Denon.

The second thing I want is the ability to fast seek to cuepoints in flac files. This would work exactly like the Previous Chapter and Next Chapter buttons on bluray or dvd. Most people who encode entire albums as one big flac file set cuepoints at the transition between songs. That way they can hit the Next Cuepoint button on their player to skip to the next song.

The last thing is correct metadata display for each song in a "whole album flac file." This can be figured out from the embedded cuesheet in the flac file.

I really expected the Denon to do all of this stuff. It's not that difficult to implement. Without it the built-in mp3/flac playback is more of a novelty than anything.

141 - 160 of 20789 Posts