AVS Forum banner

4361 - 4373 of 4373 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Even better would be to take it to the next level, and have the AVP able to switch automatically based on input format / upmixer.
Yeah that would be cool but a lot of technical details to sort out there. All AVR manufacturers would need to make changes as well as Dirac adding that feature.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Your premise is "what you see is what you hear". That might not be the case. What you're looking at is the steady-state response, i.e. direct sound plus room response. At lower frequencies this indeed is more or less what we hear, at higher frequencies it's likely more the direct sound that determines perceived timbre (and location – that's why differing EQ for stereo pairs is largely a bad idea).

Unfortunately there are not nearly enough scientific studies that would allow us to confidently say how exactly direct sound and room response affect perception of timbre.

If you want to get a better idea how direct and reflected sound behaves in your room you would need to window the impulse response. A frequency dependent window is helpful here. Also look at the "Decay" and "Spectrogram" tool in REW.
Reading this again: I'm wondering if the DLBM in it's current state would help my recessed region (80-450Hz) over my current implementation of minidsp with REW PEQ and then adding sub delay post-DIRAC to close the 100Hz dip a bit.

If so, I'm willing to try downloading it and then making use of my XLR cables for my subs.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,363
Yeah that would be cool but a lot of technical details to sort out there. All AVR manufacturers would need to make changes as well as Dirac adding that feature.
Some SSPs can already switch between DL filter sets on the fly, e.g. HTP-1, NAD.

·
aka jfinnie
5,204 Posts
It doesn't require Dirac to do anything. Many AVP have several Dirac slots, at the most basic level "all" that is required is the option to make the AVP choose the Dirac slot based on some rules.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
How do I get DL to correct below the dotted line? It's at 16.5Hz for me and I'd like to correct down to 10Hz as my subs can measure flat down to there with minidsp/rew PEQ alone.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
How do I get DL to correct below the dotted line? It's at 16.5Hz for me and I'd like to correct down to 10Hz as my subs can measure flat down to there with minidsp/rew PEQ alone.
You can just drag the entire line back.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I believe the dotted line means your sub can't go that low according to DIRAC. So you might not be able to or want to correct below it.

I might be wrong about the above. I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
In DL EQ adjustments, I want to apply a curve starting with the 8db Harmon curve. Mainly pushing up the 80-250Hz range, as my system needs this area much higher by quite a bit as even after DIRAC it's quite low; but also 5dB drop between 250-20,000Hz.

Is there a way to eq this corrected curve so that when I then move the high curtain down it automatically joins the lower dB uncorrected area with the corrected area so there isn't that huge cliff drop down to the uncorrected level?

Or, should I just raise the un-curtained area as a whole to meet the point where the curtain is which would be 5dB higher?

Any good resources on how to use the eq tool too would be great.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
You can just drag the entire line back.
Thanks. DIRAC left me with it uncorrected but measuring it's a few dB lower below 18hz and I know I can get flat to 10hz.
But when I draw the curtain to the left measurements show there is a huge peak instead. I also can't seem to add any control points down that low even though they are spaced apart.

So I guess I'll just drag the left most control point down on an angle until it gets it flat?

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,593 Posts
I believe the dotted line means your sub can't go that low according to DIRAC. So you might not be able to or want to correct below it.

I might be wrong about the above. I'm sure someone will correct me. :)
Allow me to correct you. I loaded my current project, which sets the left curtain at ~15Hz. I was able to drag the curtain all the way down to 0Hz. So that answers the "able" part. Now, whether you would want to drag the curtain below where the sub roll-off is down -10dB, not sure that is such a good idea.

Reactions: Carbo

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,593 Posts
In DL EQ adjustments, I want to apply a curve starting with the 8db Harmon curve. Mainly pushing up the 80-250Hz range, as my system needs this area much higher by quite a bit as even after DIRAC it's quite low; but also 5dB drop between 250-20,000Hz.

Is there a way to eq this corrected curve so that when I then move the high curtain down it automatically joins the lower dB uncorrected area with the corrected area so there isn't that huge cliff drop down to the uncorrected level?

Or, should I just raise the un-curtained area as a whole to meet the point where the curtain is which would be 5dB higher?

Any good resources on how to use the eq tool too would be great.
Honestly, sometimes it is difficult to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Allow me to correct you. I loaded my current project, which sets the left curtain at ~15Hz. I was able to drag the curtain all the way down to 0Hz. So that answers the "able" part. Now, whether you would want to drag the curtain below where the sub roll-off is down -10dB, not sure that is such a good idea.
I have not been playing around with Dirac to much since the bug. I have it where I want it for now and figure I'll take a break till they fix it.

I understand the able and agree with the want.

Can you refresh my memory? What is the dotted line for? Isn't that what Dirac has decided where ones speakers measure to?

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,593 Posts
I believe it has to do with where Dirac measures the low frequency roll-off to reach a certain level, perhaps -10dB. I am no longer in front of my system, so I can’t check.

4361 - 4373 of 4373 Posts