AVS Forum banner

5221 - 5240 of 5329 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,988 Posts
Well, a verification with REW is probably more useful and in the end less time consuming. If it turns out the problem is real then you have it documented and you could forward that data together with your project to Dirac so they might be able to find out what went wrong.
My apology. I misunderstood what you were suggesting--I thought you wanted me to verify with REW that the delays were indeed bad. Now that I understand you are recommending sharing the result with Dirac Support, I agree. I have verified that the "bad" calibration was saved, and that re-calculating the delays produce the same flawed results, so I will take REW measurements and share the measurements and the project with Dirac Support. Perhaps they will find a root cause.

Just checking, is this the correct link to report issues to Dirac: Dirac Live Support - Dirac Live Support - Confluence?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Well, after having run countless Dirac calibrations without a major issue, today I experienced my first "bad" calibration. Here is a typical result for Dirac delays in my setup:

View attachment 3142240

Today, I ran a 9-position calibration after setting the pre-calibration levels to typical values. Nothing unusual happened during the calibration. I used the same nine positions that I usually use. After the calibration completed and was saved to a HTP-1 preset, here are the resulting delays:

View attachment 3142243

Compare these results to the previous results. These values are clearly nowhere near being correct, so the time spent on the calibration was wasted. I am scratching my head, trying to figure out how this could have happened. Anyone have an idea what might have gone wrong?
That is odd.

I'm not the experienced Dirac guy you are, but I've had some odd sessions with it here and there where it keeps dropping my U-Mik and refinding it, takes an inordinate time to load for some odd reason, or it works sluggishly. I have 1 gig fiber wifi, so it's not internet speed, and I typically run these late at night.

My guess is that you just got a bad connection or ramp-up from Dirac, and you just need a good ole fashioned "do-over." Or, could it be a faulty mic issue? Did your trim levels look normal?

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,988 Posts
That is odd.

I'm not the experienced Dirac guy you are, but I've had some odd sessions with it here and there where it keeps dropping my U-Mik and refinding it, takes an inordinate time to load for some odd reason, or it works sluggishly. I have 1 gig fiber wifi, so it's not internet speed, and I typically run these late at night.

My guess is that you just got a bad connection or ramp-up from Dirac, and you just need a good ole fashioned "do-over." Or, could it be a faulty mic issue? Did your trim levels look normal?
Trims were fine. I'll rule out a faulty mic when I run another calibration.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Reactions: mcallister

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
When checked with an SPL meter, Dirac sets my side and rear surrounds about 4 dB lower than my LCR, front wides, and atmos channels. Why would that be?
In my case, with this last Dirac run using v3.1 the only reason I checked the levels was because my Center Channel was noticeably lower in volume and I was having to use the dialog enhance by 5-6 dB, and upon verifying it was indeed 5.5dB lower then the other speakers.

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,231 ·
When checked with an SPL meter, Dirac sets my side and rear surrounds about 4 dB lower than my LCR, front wides, and atmos channels. Why would that be?
What measurement method and test signal did you use?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
In my case, with this last Dirac run using v3.1 the only reason I checked the levels was because my Center Channel was noticeably lower in volume and I was having to use the dialog enhance by 5-6 dB, and upon verifying it was indeed 5.5dB lower then the other speakers.
Mine seemed a too quiet in the surrounds.

I also had to apply a miniDSP/REW curve to the final Dirac result to improve my bass response.

Looks good and sounds great, though I suspect Dirac has a ways to go on their end. I really shouldn't need miniDSP to fix DLBC.

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,233 · (Edited)
on my previous Dirac cals I never had this issue. Why would it suddenly be different do you think?
Before jumping to conclusions collect suitable data via measurements.
What SSP?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
What measurement method and test signal did you use?
I tested it with multiple test signals out of the HTP-1 with a regular Radioshack SPL meter, then calibrated with the louder pink noise. Dirac had turned my side surrounds down past to -13 dB, and this brought them back to -9ish.

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,235 · (Edited)
Mine seemed a too quiet in the surrounds.

I also had to apply a miniDSP/REW curve to the final Dirac result to improve my bass response.

Looks good and sounds great, though I suspect Dirac has a ways to go on their end. I really shouldn't need miniDSP to fix DLBC.
Without providing any data your description sounds more like user error. Show DL screenshots of all "after" curves and upload a .mdat with measurements to WeTransfer or similar. Also post a screenshot of the HTP-1's calibration screen.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Without providing any data your description sounds more like user error. Show DL screenshots of all "after" curves and upload a .mdat with measurements to WeTransfer or similar. Also post a screenshot of the HTP-1's calibration screen.
Not user error. Here is my curve for my front three seats after Dirac (level 2) and applying a miniDSP curve.

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,237 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Not a good idea. You probably made things worse. See Speaker reference level calibration
Markus, can you clarify why it's most desirable to only look at 500 Hz to 2 kHz on that REW plot on your website (as opposed to something lower above the speaker crossover like the upper or mid-bass, or above 2 kHz to capture more of the upper mid)? I'm referring to the first snapshot of speaker frequency response on your link.

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,239 · (Edited)
Markus, can you clarify why it's most desirable to only look at 500 Hz to 2 kHz on that REW plot on your website (as opposed to something lower above the speaker crossover like the upper or mid-bass, or above 2 kHz to capture more of the upper mid)? I'm referring to the first snapshot of speaker frequency response on your link.
500-2000Hz is thought to be a range that is a) largely free of dominant location dependent low frequency response deviations and b) still results in a good match of SPL and perceived loudness.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Capture.PNG

My Fronts are Triton Reference towers with LFE used as .1 and crossed @ 90Hz. Is it normal to have 47ms delay between the LFE and the full range of the same speaker?
It appears that when subtracting the 47ms all other speaker delays are on par with the distance to MLP.

5221 - 5240 of 5329 Posts