Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Henrik was kind enough to send me a small sample of the Supernova before my demo screen arrives. I did some quick testing with it and took some screen shots. They didn't come out all that well as the sample is only about 6"x8" or so. For those who are unfamiliar, this is a new "black" screen. It allows the use of front projection in less than ideal light control rooms (ie. windows, stray light, lighter colors, etc...). They offer then in various sizes, with 2 frame options (silver for the plasma look, and black for the more dedicated rooms). Both frames also have a 1" black edging so no need to worry about overscan on the silver frame. Here is some background to the setup:

Projector: BenQ PE7700

Height of floor to lens center: 78"

Screen size: 50.5"x89.75" Silverstar

Top of screen: 72"

Throw: 151"

Center of Sample Height: 52"

I tested the sample in various light conditions as well as different viewing angles. Here is what I found. The viewing angle of this screen is a bit narrow. I started at my eye height of 45", and worked out from the center about 8' back (8' because I have a narrow room and if I went back to my normal seating position, I would not have been able to get all the way off access). From the center, I found that the brightness of the Supernova was higher than that of the matte white sample up until about 4' off the side, at which point it was the same (1.0). It actually reminded me of the look of the Dalite Hi Power in the overall look to it. Based on that, the viewing angle is about 22.5 degrees. Of course, this does not take into consideration the vertical distance of the projector throw, so you engineers out there can hopefully do the calculations for me. :) Once beyond that point, the brightness on the SN fell off a bit and was a tad dimmer. Now I'll also state that this was with no lights on in the room (and it is a dedicated room). With the lights on, the effect, though still there, was masked by the fact that the contrast was substantially better than on the matte white sample. So my point is that during evening viewing, the gain will indeed drop off after about that 22.5 degree point. But with ambient light in the room, the effect is moot since the performance improvement is much more important pertaining to the black levels.

Now commenting further on that, the screen definitely shined with the lights on. To give an idea of the lighting I have, there are 6 x 60 watt sconces, 2 sets of rope lighting, and fiber optic stars in the ceiling. I tested it with full lights on, and then all off. With the lights on, the contrast, black levels and overall depth to the image was much much better than the matte white sample, and a good amount better than my Silverstar. As the lights dimmed, however, the Silverstar started to outperform the SN. It had more vibrancy, richer colors, and more punch. The SN definitely outperformed the matte white in all lighting conditions.

Some other benefits to this are that it does not have any noticeable sheen to it (common annoyance with the Silverstar). It actually has a very smooth look to it which is very nice for you film buffs. Thought it is called a black screen, it is more like a dark dark silver look to it. I will also mention this is not a final draft version, but close to it. Henrik assured me that the final production version will be at least as good if not better.

All in all I was very impressed with what I see. I think for those with ambient light in their rooms, or rooms that are not dedicated (ie. lighter colored walls, ceiling, etc...), it is something to seriously consider as it will allow you to have much more viewing time and enjoyment. It is also good for you dedicated, darker room folks who like to leave lights on in the room for sports, tv, etc....

I plan to do more pictures and such once the full screen comes in around Cedia. Now onto the screen shots:

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now the background is the Silverstar, the small sample on the right is the Supernova, and the sample on the left is a standard 1.0 gain matte white:

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0944.JPG

This is at 65" off the floor, straight on with lights on. Note based on my calculations this is outside the viewing cone, and thus the vibrancy was not as vivid.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0945.JPG

This is same location, but with no lights. You can see where the difference in the background Silverstar starts to improve.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0946.JPG

Here we are straight on, at 55", with the lights on. You can see where the SN sample starts to become more impressive.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0947.JPG

Here we are again at that same location, but with lights off. You'll note the matte white does not look nearly as good as either of the other two.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
 http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0948.JPG

Here we are at 45", normal viewing height, straight on with the lights on. Very impressive
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0949.JPG

Here we are again, same position with the lights off. The picture sort of shows it is similar look to the Silverstar, and it is in some ways, but at this position with the lights off the Silverstar does have more punch (picture is hard to see).

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0950.JPG

Here we are at 45" eye height again, but off axis at about 30 degrees off accress.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0951.JPG

Here is the same position, but with lights off. You can see the matte white sample does have a brightness advantage in this situation.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0952.JPG

Here is a close up shot, at 45" height and straight on, with the lights on. It shows a bit more of what the material can do.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/CIMG0953.JPG

Same shot, lights off. You can see the improvment drops off a good amount.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's it for now. I plan to do more testing with the full screen, but that will have to come later. Anyone with questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Also, we are taking preorders for these, so for those who think this is what you need, please do drop me a line and I'd be happy to help!

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
The official DNP thread:

Guys please keep this thread to DNP only. I dont want this turning into a "other black screen topics debate"

Any off topic posts may be removed. Thank you.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Thanks Jason. Do you know if this is angular-reflective or retro-reflective (or some mixture)? One test that I think would be interesting is to put your two samples (matte white and SuperNova) all the way on the right side of your SilverStar. Then take a picture from the center viewing position and a picture from outside the screen (like the angle light would go off a mirror if one was there instead of a screen, which is the extreme example of angular-reflectivity). With the High Power and a test like this it would be brighter from the center position because it is retro-reflective, but with most gain screens they would be brighter from the angle of bounced light (like from 6' to the right of center if the sample is 3' to the right of center). These pictures might help determine how much uniformity we should expect also.

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
688 Posts
Excellent Jason, thanks.

I'm on the preorder list. My only concern is the weight of the screen. I think you mentioned the 72" weighs in at 50lbs? Is that accurate?

Reason I ask is I will only be able to hang this screen from the top and mounting it to typical wall sheetrock. I want to be sure it's not too heavy and can be supported soley from the top.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm looking forward to the next comparison. I just hope it's not another comparison with an animated film, because they can look good even on a white screen in a little ambient light.

I'm interested in seeing how something like "Blade" performs (or something else darker than animated films). I want to see the SilverStar playing something that becomes badly washed out with ambient light present. :).

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braidkid
My only concern is the weight of the screen. I think you mentioned the 72" weighs in at 50lbs? Is that accurate?
I hadn't heard about this. I'm interested in the 120" version. I think it would be nice if DNP would sell stands that could be used with these also (like Mocom does for at least some of their screens). But if they are super heavy then that might a hazard.

--Darin

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Darin it is angular. I did a simple walk around the room test. It did indeed get brighter as I went away from the projector. It reminded me of the way Hi Power works if you start below it (with a ceiling mount projector) and start to move up. You get that intense vibrancy that stands out. This did the same thing, but moving down for a similar setup.

I can take some more screen shots. I was trying to work with something very contrasty in a small area, since the sample I have is tiny. The sample is similar to that of a Silverstar of the same size, so I ballpark a 120" is about 60-75lbs with frame. Of course they ship fully assembled as well so they are heavy in a crate.

Darinp2, check your PM.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Is there going to be a 1.0 version of the screen? Screen Innovations (can we discuss them here?) mentioned there would be a 1.0 version of the Mirage DNP.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not yet established. It's funny how SI is saying there will be, when they get their fabric from DNP who has officially announced that yet. :)

It is a possibility.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Yeah, thats what confuses me.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would go based on DNP since they are the company actually developing the material. :)

I'll know more at Cedia.

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
Jason,

I don't remember if this has been asked before, but is this a fabric material like a regular screen or is it hard backed like a Silverstar? Also, do you have a sample of the Sony to compare the DNP to? If it is as good as it looks, then I guess Peter was right a couple of months ago.

Ericglo

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If it´s angular reflective, won´t it hotspot?

I´ve noticed that my high power sample doesn´t seem to get much darker than my 1.0 screen at any angle, but the silverstar does indeed get quite dark... in which department would you put the supernova?

I also thought the viwing cone was very narrow and very the brightness change was very much with the high power(because it´s so very bright in the sweetspot), is the change a bit milder when walking around the room with the supernova or does it have a very noticable dropoff like the high power. I ask because I want one of these screens, but my widest seats are about 40* of axis.

Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I don't have a Sony sample. Sorry about that. It is a rigid type mount at the moment, so it comes fully assembled. They are working on a retractable version though, but that won't come for a little bit.

The SN tends to go less than uniform once outside the viewing cone. However as I mentioned, the effect was most noticeable with no lights. With the lights on, for whatever reason, it was not something that stood out as an issue. I assume it is because the impact on the ambient light was more noticeable than the loss of gain at the extreme angles.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I hope this isn't considered too much off-topic, but I would like to know how you would compare use of this screen with a front projector to the alternative of a rear projection tv in a room with white walls and ceiling, but a blackout curtain blocking window light and 1) all lights off during the day, 2) all lights off at night, and 3) night with one very directional pole lamp on that aims directly at the seated position and would not directly light the screen.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I thought the Supernova was NOT ideal for short throw projectors? The BenQ is a short throw. Can you do a test with a long throw projector?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Jason,

what does the 1" black border within the frame look like, is it just a reflective black color or are we talking black velvet that absorbs the overscan?

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.