AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
It's alive! After 20 years of multichannel audio being the stepchild of Home Theaters things have finally taken the turn for the better:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/05/28/tidal-opens-up-dolby-atmos-music-streaming-to-any-dolby-atmos-sound-system/?fbclid=IwAR2UdVth5Saxg5mtbcEJpWJSJoUiRC-7drv4kogzExcNwgYvNV_Yj1vC11E#e31102a6cce1

Just installed TIDAL on my AppleTV, there are 35 Playlists. The purpose of this thread is to compare using Bargraphs the quality of the mixes as played in high-end ATMOS systems.

While Lynyrd Skynyrd and others seem to engage the front tops only others like ALESSO are firing on all four tops.

PS. Sorry for the typo on the Heading, maybe a mod can fix.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also interesting would be the difference between Tidal and Amazon Music which also offers Dolby Atmos music.

Unfortunately they're all in Dolby Digital Plus. Even its max 768 kbps isn't much when you consider all the channels covered (actually usually only 5.2 on streaming anyway). What would be cool is if someone offered streaming music in lossless TrueHD (much higher bandwidth up to 18,000 kbps and 7.4+ channels).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Installed Tidal on my ATV. Been listening for a couple days.

I have to admit that these are the best music surround mixes I’ve ever heard. Better than my old DTS CDs, SACDs, or DVD-Audio discs.

I did a lot of comparing and Tidal Atmos has slightly more compression than SACD. But Tidal has way less compression than Apple Music.

I just wish there were more Atmos mixes. I feel like I listened to everything in a couple of nights. Considering only my theatre speakers can really highlight the improved audio quality that Tidal provides over Apple and I don’t often listen to music in there, I can’t see paying $20 / month for Tidal. Maybe if they had 10 times the amount of Atmos content.

But it is pretty great. Check out Ariana Grande’s “7 Rings”. Really excellent. Makes me love songs I’d passed on before!

·
Registered
987 Posts
How does this compare to stereo content upmixed with Auro 3D?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts