AVS Forum banner

24661 - 24680 of 58973 Posts

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Ok for height speakers is it now safe to say that most people bump them up by a minimum of 2db so that they sound the best, is it possible that using Audyssey XT32 that as the speaker is firing directly in to the mic that it sets the height speakers at a lower trim level i am pretty sure this is the case, i was trying an Audyssey calibration with the mic tilted at a 25 degree angle but i feel this gave mixed results to the base level speakers ? i know height makes a big impact on calibration, i had my front l/r raised off the floor by 1.5ft and my xover was being set at 120hz now i have them on floor xover is set at 60hz so maybe speakers firing directly into mic gives a false level reading
Thanks, zebidou. Even though you didn't aim your answer to me, I think your answer would help me, too. Once I get back my Denon from Upgradeville I will try upping the volume level on the front heights by a couple of decibels before I try to pull off something as exotic as an array.
Here is the link with the best Atmos setup (possibly) and it states the Audyssey mic is not the best for setting the Atmos levels per its shape and speakers firing direct in to mic. + 2 to +4db on all atmos speakers works very well.

http://peteswrite.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-bass-gurus-den-visiting-home-of.html?m=1
The part about levels doesn't make sense. Mic orientation relative to the speakers would only Impact high frequencies, but levels aren't really impacted by that.

Rather the more sensible explanation is that it's just a preference for people who like to hear more overhead action.

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
I had the Onkyo 636 and I thought it was a great sounding receiver. I left it for probably the same reason you wouldn't be interested in the 646, and that is the 5.1.2 decoding limit. I wanted to fully implement Dolby Atmos height speakers and it couldn't be done with the 636. BTW, theres a HUGE ($1000+) price jump before you can get at least 2 more channels.

If you only plan on doing 5.1.2 or old fashioned 7.1 (actually it has 2 subwoofer outs) then I wouldn't hesistate to recommend it. My old Onkyo HRC 230 is still going strong in my den upstairs.
Minor nitpick but the $1000+ comment isn't quite accurate. A Denon X4100 wouldn't be more than $1k more than the cost of the Onk 7ch models even factoring in $100 for a basic 2ch amp to expand to 9 channels.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The comedy "Get hard" featuring Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart will be released on Blu-Ray in Atmos on June 30th.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16750

Accidently posted this in a Denon thread earlier.
Laaaugh from ceiling. This is new.

(When @ Denon thread, I was responding and suddenly the quote was blank, now I know why)

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The comedy "Get hard" featuring Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart will be released on Blu-Ray in Atmos on June 30th.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=16750

Accidently posted this in a Denon thread earlier.
Not a big Will Ferrell fan, I'm not into stupid comedy. LOL
But it's nice to see a faster trickle of Atmos month after month.

Reactions: Jacob305

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Talladega Nights, (Staring Will Ferrell) Best Movie Ever Made! Just Sayin.
Best movie ever made :eek: or the best movie you saw Will Ferrell in.

Reactions: Heresy80

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Jupiter asceding is by far the best Atmos movie so far! Now we are talking Atmos! :cool:
To bad it is one of the worse movies of the year.... ~_~ man was it terrible...

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Where to buy this? Also does new avengers have DTS x?

We won't know about Age of Ultron until later this summer when the Blu-ray specs are made known. Disney may not jump into the immersive sound arena until UHD Blu-ray. That's just a vibe I'm getting.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Minor nitpick but the $1000+ comment isn't quite accurate. A Denon X4100 wouldn't be more than $1k more than the cost of the Onk 7ch models even factoring in $100 for a basic 2ch amp to expand to 9 channels.
You're right. More like $5-800 depending on where you would purchase each. More toward the lower end if talking MSRP. For some reason the 636 had a much softer street price than the Denon x4100W.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
'Jupiter Ascending'

To bad it is one of the worse movies of the year.... ~_~ man was it terrible...
For roughly 99% of the movie population, it don't really matter. ...People still pay to see it (yours included).
* Did you also pay to see it?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Are Definitive Technology DI 6.5 RS suitable for use as overheads for Atmos?

My dealer is recommending them as being wide dispersion.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've noticed on the Onkyo 646/747 product features page (other than support for HDMI 2.0a, yay :D) that it has ADVANCED in the column regarding AccuEQ,... And from what I have gleaned from their respective manuals, I can only assume that there is test tones and EQ calibration on the Front 2 speakers and subwoofers being done now. Is this a return to form?, I could be totally wrong here, but it seemed worth noting.

Also, I asked this in another thread but I'm going to do so here as well: I noticed that the only difference between the two mid-grade models is that the latter 747 sports a THX certification. Now, because the seating recommendation is for 10-12 feet from the screen/speakers, and my own will be a mere 6-8 ft from a 55" SUHD 8500, would THX certification even present any kind of benefit to me?

My guess is that it might not even matter in the end sadly, as the higher end models (1030/3030) last year that give 11 channels for the preferred 7.x.4 setup also have this certification and don't offer a model such as the 646 in their tier lol. I can only assume it will be the same this year as the 1040/3040 will again put that extra $200 feature on there that people may not want or need.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The part about levels doesn't make sense. Mic orientation relative to the speakers would only Impact high frequencies, but levels aren't really impacted by that.

Rather the more sensible explanation is that it's just a preference for people who like to hear more overhead action.
Ok well orientation seems to make a difference with levels to me, if i was to tilt the mic facing the back of the room the rear surrounds are set to a much lower db level and the fronts are set to around a +4 db from if i had the mic pointing to the ceiling, so it is obvious that orientation both with my tests and the blog with regards to one of the best atmos setup is correct orientation plays a factor, and also does the shape of the mic.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Best movie ever made :eek: or the best movie you saw Will Ferrell in.
Movie tastes are certainly subjective, so if it's the best movie he's ever seen, and assuming he has seen a few others, then it is so . Will Ferrell is very accomplished at what he
does , I have watched most of his work some of it I certainly enjoy. Hardly ranks best movie ever, then again, I have never seen any comedy that I would categorize that way.

Atmos object based sound and comedy, maybe if the character has a multiple personality.... :D:D:p

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Not a big Will Ferrell fan, I'm not into stupid comedy. LOL
But it's nice to see a faster trickle of Atmos month after month.
He's actually a very intelligent man, an accomplished actor, and one of the funniest, most respected comedians around. Unfortunately, his acting career was formed by some of the silliest, most asinine and forgettable movies imaginable.

If you want a glimpse of what he can offer in a watchable movie, check out the delightful Everything Must Go (2011), based on a Raymond Carver short story.

24661 - 24680 of 58973 Posts