AVS Forum banner

35041 - 35060 of 58966 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Come on guys... no way. No way. Going from Stereo to 5.1 was such a huge leap, I don't think anything will compare to that. I challenge you guys to run some scenes from some impressive Atmos movies (Gravity, Fury Road etc.) and then run the scenes again in 7.1. I have done that at a friends house and the difference is there for sure, but it is NO WHERE CLOSE to the difference between stereo or pro logic compared to 5.1.

I will say that recently my friend Archaea has been playing an Atmos Star Wars game and he says it's a huge improvement from what you hear in Atmos movies or even in the Atmos demo disk. I haven't heard it yet, so maybe the Star Wars game is as big of a jump as you guys are saying - but - movies or even the Atmos demo disk is not like going from stereo to 5.1.

The Atmos demo disk is great and shows off Atmos really well, however I own that disk and in my room it's also VERY impressive played on a 7.1 system.

For me Atmos it is a no brainer upgrade and I plan to do it myself when the price of AVR's comes down a bit and the format is more solidified with DTS X etc. However, I'm under no delusions that this will be like going from stereo to 5.1 because I know it won't be like that. In fact that's a huge reason why I am waiting for prices to come down. I know exactly what I'll be getting and paying 2 grand or more for the AVR alone does not make the difference worth it to me. If/when you can get an AVR for closer to 1000 that will get you to 7.1.4 (even if it means using external amps) then I'm in.

I feel bad for the guy that follows this thread and hasn't experienced Atmos for himself and goes by the hype that he reads here from some of you guys. In my opinion he will be disappointed when he fires up Atmos in his room for the first time and realizes that while it is very cool and indeed an upgrade it is not the night and day/black and white difference from 7.1 that some of you guys say it is.

@Archaea
@Stoked21
Honestly I have so far found it to be a pretty huge upgrade. It's different then what I expected, but it has made my room sound huge. More then simply giving you overheads it expands the sound field very significantly. I've had Atmos less then a week, but so far I'm ranking this only behind my subs and room treatments for impact of my sound

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
So if I have a receiver that doesn't support HDCP 2.2 like the X5200W, will I be able to play UHD bluray discs and downscale them to 1080p?

Will a UHD player be backwards compatible with 1080p blu-ray discs? It would be extraordinary if this were not the case, but if I am reading you correctly you are saying that if someone has a 1080p TV (without HDCP 2.2) and he buys a UHD player, it will just not work. He won't be able to play anything at all on it - not UHD discs, not his 1080p blu-rays, nothing? Am I reading you correctly?

If I am then it means I will have to delay my UHD upgrade until I change my AVR, which isn't going to be until fall 2016. And in the meantime, any new movies with Atmos/DTS:X released exclusively on UHD will be unavailable to me totally? So if the studios decide to discontinue HD Blu-ray Atmos releases in favor of UHD releases then Atmos will be denied to everyone who doesn't own a UHD player and a display with HDCP 2.2? This seems extraordinary and means that Atmos will be denied totally to the vast majority of potential buyers.

While I have no reason to prefer the following source to your own comments, a quick google revealed this counterpoint view:

Will Ultra HD Blu-ray players be backward compatible?

Yes. Ultra HD-Blu-ray players will play Blu-ray discs, DVDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio, and Redbook CDs. Both standard 1080p Blu-ray discs and DVDs will be up-converted to UHD resolution for playback on 4K UHD TVs.

In addition, Ultra HD Blu-ray players will downscale Ultra HD Blu-ray discs to work on 1080p HD TVs, so if you want to get a little ahead of the curve and purchase a new player and the latest discs, even before you get a 4K UHD TV, that’s just fine.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultra-hd-blu-ray-specs-dates-and-titles/#ixzz3v98RXyh2
Follow us: @digitalTrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultra-hd-blu-ray-specs-dates-and-titles/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Help, I have the Onkyo TX-NR636 and want to test dolby Atmos but not sure which speaker "type to select in set up , dolby , dolby surround, top, bottom etc , nothing states Atmos . And yes I upgraded the firmware to the newest.

Thanks
I have the NR737, and here's what worked for me. In speaker settings, go to "Height Speakers Type" and change from "Not Use" to "Dolby Enabled Speaker Front" if you are using up-firing modules or "Top Front" if you are using ceiling speakers. I assume that "front high" means standard front-firing speakers.

Next, play your movie, and make sure that Dolby TrueHD is lit-up on your receiver. Then hit the Listening Mode button for movies on your remote and cycle through the choices. Dolby Atmos should be one of the choices.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'd say it's a clear upgrade, bigger than lossy to lossless and bigger than 5.1 to 7.1, but not bigger than 2.0 to 5.1.

Since all of this is subjective, it's insulting to tell someone who's not blown away that they haven't heard a good Atmos setup.

My first Atmos movie at home was San Andreas. It took me almost the whole movie to realize that the top layer was not being used in many key scenes, demonstrating that 7.1 can be absolutely phenomenal. Upon release, the movie was lauded as a great Atmos mix. That was until people really listened to the top layer and found there wasn't much there in key scenes. Expectation bias looms large here.

As for upmixing, I've been listening to Dolby Surround for a few months, and lately I've been listening to 5.1 and 7.1 straight at times and enjoying the clarity and precision of the native mixes. There are trade offs to any kind of upmixing as far as straying from what was intended in the mix.

If one is into home theater and great sound, Atmos is a no-brainer. The best mixes are possible with object based mixing, and if one wants to hear them natively, Atmos (and maybe someday DTS:X) is the way to go.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My room should be ready mid next week and I want to have a movie ready and waiting! I'm open to about anything that will look great on my OLED 3D and sound great with my Atmos setup. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
My room should be ready mid next week and I want to have a movie ready and waiting! I'm open to about anything that will look great on my OLED 3D and sound great with my Atmos setup. What do you suggest?
The Fifth Element
Gravity
Mad Max: Fury Road
John Wick
Terminator Genisys
Everest
San Andreas
Enchanted Kingdom
Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Insurgent
The Age of Adaline
American Sniper
Unbroken
The Gunman
Lucy
Pixels
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
Bram Stoker's Dracula

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Fifth Element
Gravity
Mad Max: Fury Road
John Wick
Terminator Genisys
Everest
San Andreas
Enchanted Kingdom
Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Insurgent
The Age of Adaline
American Sniper
Unbroken
The Gunman
Lucy
Pixels
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Thank you. To be clear, those titles all have 3D and Atmos on the same disc, correct?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
^^ Not every version...

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Honestly I have so far found it to be a pretty huge upgrade. It's different then what I expected, but it has made my room sound huge. More then simply giving you overheads it expands the sound field very significantly. I've had Atmos less then a week, but so far I'm ranking this only behind my subs and room treatments for impact of my sound
My experience also. And I've had Atmos since the first day the AVRs were available in the UK. I still thrill to the hugely immersive soundscape you describe every time I play an Atmos movie or use DSU to upmix the rest of my collection. Once heard, there is no going back to 7.1.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
So if I have a receiver that doesn't support HDCP 2.2 like the X5200W, will I be able to play UHD bluray discs and downscale them to 1080p?
Apparently not. Your UHD player will play HD Blu-rays no matter what, but it will only play UHD discs if you have HDCP 2.2 all through the chain - ie player, AVR and display. Sucks doesn't it?

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Thank you. To be clear, those titles all have 3D and Atmos on the same disc, correct?
No they don't. A very good 3D demo with Atmos is the documentary Enchanted Kingdom. If you like nature documentaries, then you will enjoy the content - but as an Atmos/3D demo it is fabulous. They really make good use of both technologies.

Sorry, I can't tell you which of that list is also in 3D as 3D isn’t really my thing, but maybe the OP can.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Which OLED?

I have the LG 65EF9500. I have to say 3D and Atmos, then it's Mad Max. Sound and Visually it's amazing.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It sure does especially the display part.. I was not planning to upgrade my projector until the 4k Projectors become more affordable (~$3k). Let's hope they keep making the Atmos tracks available on regular BDs.

Apparently not. Your UHD player will play HD Blu-rays no matter what, but it will only play UHD discs if you have HDCP 2.2 all through the chain - ie player, AVR and display. Sucks doesn't it?

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Keith... Have you seen that confirmed.

I think only the 4k handshake will not work.... The players should be able to play the UHD titles @ 1080p AFAIK.

Hate to rub it in however, but I won't have that issue :cool:

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Maybe you haven't heard a really good Atmos setup?
Well for starters. One of the systems @carp is referring to is mine!!!! I know he's making an Atmos comment in general and not judging systems, so no harm no foul.

Having said that, I'm sure he'll acknowledge that my system images beautiful between bed and height, top front to top rear, top lefts to top rights, with lots of in room object imaging. So let's not turn the comment into a criticism of my setup, as I can tell you that my Atmos setup is impeccable and extremely well done. :eek:

I believe it is an improvement that is as extreme as stereo to 5.1. This for the exact reason that @sdurani mentioned...It finally brings the height element into the mix which is an area that has been sorely missing. On the other hand, there is limited content and limited mixing that can be added to the tops (without sounding awkward or using Atmos just for sake of overdoing it). So with today's material usage, given a handful of exceptions, it doesn't show to it's absolute best capabilities. After all, everyone references the same 4-5 movies as the Atmos benchmarks while there are over 30 of them out there! That just demonstrates that it's not utilized to it's best capabilities today.

I personally still marvel every time I hear a well done Atmos disc. When watching one of my 23 or so disc, the Atmos content always jumps out at me and is very obvious (even in the lesser mixes). I can't speak for @carp listening tests, but if you listen to the same system and same clip with and without Atmos, the difference becomes astonishing. If you watch a complete movie in Atmos it becomes ground breaking. Listening to a few of the best clips only gives you a sense of what Atmos can accomplish. It doesn't necessarily immerse you into the entire movie experience showing a practical application from beginning to end. So I for one do believe it is equivalent to a switch from stereo to 5.1, but I've also watched about 30 different movies with it.

The demos leaves you saying, well yeah a bird flew above the room. Yeah, the rain fell from the ceiling in the room. Yeah the thunder clap was dead center in the room or the conductor girl was swinging through the room and the bugs are flying in the room......Again, not a practical application other than a highlight reel. But does that really translate to a major difference to everyone? Not necessarily. And everyone has to also weigh the level of effort and cost vs the potential gain....

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
It sure does especially the display part.. I was not planning to upgrade my projector until the 4k Projectors become more affordable (~$3k). Let's hope they keep making the Atmos tracks available on regular BDs.
My hope too, for the same reasons as you. I am happy with 1080p in my room, at my seating distance in terms of resolution, and I can wait for the benefits of WCG and HDR. But I do want to continue to expand my Atmos collection. Maybe, just maybe, they will package an Atmos 1080p Blu-ray with the UHD disc, much as they package a DVD with a Blu-ray now quite commonly. Then again, maybe they won't.

Chances are I will have HDCP 2.2 on my AVR by the time this becomes an issue, but there is no way it will be on my PJ for some considerable time.

If it becomes an issue for me I will buy my UHD player, buy the discs and also buy the FuryHD Integral which should make me good to go. Although TBH I resent having to spend an additional $200.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Keith... Have you seen that confirmed.

I think only the 4k handshake will not work.... The players should be able to play the UHD titles @ 1080p AFAIK.
This was also my understanding, but Stoked21 knows his onions, as we Limeys say and he has convinced me otherwise. What he says makes sense - if we could play UHD titles even without HDCP 2.2, then what is the point of HDCP 2.2? Of course I hope you are right, and the first thing I will be doing when UHD players are available is getting my dealer to set one up with a 1080p, non-2.2 display and seeing what happens. A UHD player is an upgrade I really want to make - but for the Atmos/DTS:X titles not the image aspects.

Hate to rub it in however, but I won't have that issue :cool:
You know how to wound, Marc :)

35041 - 35060 of 58966 Posts