AVS Forum banner

37081 - 37100 of 58966 Posts

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Well I can't go back in time to play out a situation where I don't have them so what am I to do, Sanjay?
You sure about that, Scott? I think we know different. Your dirty little secret is out. Go on, tell us that's not you, before the pizza got to you....

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
No, they don't test for proper Atmos decoding.
You said "the test track that matches their layout". The AVR test tones will show the speakers match their layout. WRT to the decoding, there seems to be some doubt about how the disc has been authored, with people reporting inconsistencies in their test results (eg when playing the 9.1.6 tones and the 7.1.4 tones on a 7.1.4 system). So the disc may be of less use than people think it is.

As you know, I have the disc anyway, so again, it is easy for me to be complacent about it, along with Scott (if he is) - but no amount of discussion, endless or otherwise, is going to make any difference to the plain and simple fact that Dolby are not, and can not, going to distribute the disc to the public at large. If ever there was a pointless discussion on AVS, this is it. It makes the discussion about surround speaker height look like a submission to the Nobel committee.

·
Registered
28,981 Posts
WRT to the decoding, there seems to be some doubt about how the disc has been authored, with people reporting inconsistencies in their test results (eg when playing the 9.1.6 tones and the 7.1.4 tones on a 7.1.4 system).
That's why I said they could pick the track that matched their layout (e.g., playing 7.1.4 track on a 7.1.4 set-up). The AVR's internal test tones don't go through the Atmos decoder, so they can't be used to check proper rendering.
If ever there was a pointless discussion on AVS, this is it.
If it was pointless, you wouldn't be participating and offering counterpoints.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Why isn't that a problem for Auro?
Auro don't have any real content other than their esoteric music stuff. Maybe they negotiated a distribution deal with their content providers that allows them to sell the discs, to give them away, to do wtf they like with them. Negotiating for the rights of TIËSTO’S album "Elements of Life" is, I guess, not nearly as difficult as negotiating for Transformers: Age of Ultron. I think we can see why.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
They aren't losing sales because the sale happens for them every time a decoder is produced or licensed.

Much like you're misunderstanding of most things Atmos, you don't have a good grasp of the business model the company operates under.
Unless you motivate people to upgrade to a new AVR, they won't get anything. If people aren't buying, manufacturers won't produce/license anything (even if there may be some delay in the system). Perhaps not in your part of the world, but in mine - people are going back to older Denon AVRs for a better preamp section, myself I went back to a 2807, for instance. It will take quite some doing to move us to a weaker preamp based on a format alone. And if you can't get it demoed, even less reason.

Keep in mind, stereo performance outweighs any new surround format. That's where 95% of the usage of the AVR will be (at least until stereo preamp makers learn to put in a cinema bypass function on a wider scale). (And no, I don't expect 95% of AVS members to agree on that, the VS members seems to outweight the AS members by quite a bit.)

·
Registered
27,254 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Oh Lord YES PLEASE! Two of my favorite movies EVER. Give'em to me on UHD with Atmos, thanks. The Abyss has so much promise...

(27 Year old)
So many ambient effects underwater on the rig...the storm scenes. And my favorite of all - when the crane is ripped loose and is falling; they can only watch in suspenseful horror as the cable is piling up outside as well as hitting above.
I agree on both. But the Abyss Director's Cut is the only one that makes any sense. When I originally saw this movie, I left scratching my head. Then when I purchased the Director's cut, it all came together. I can only image how those under water scenes could be the very best home Atmos movie ever.

·
Registered
28,981 Posts
Auro don't have any real content other than their esoteric music stuff.
The demo disc has half a dozen movie clips, including Rise of the Guardians and The Croods. Hardly esoteric. Besides, the content people want from the Atmos disc is from Dolby themselves, not from movie studios nor record labels. Don't tell me they can't negotiate a distribution deal for that content.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I've been very fortunate to be lucky enough to get my hands on many (most?) of these disks and they are fun but at this point, we have plenty of movies to watch and an ever increasing amount of Atmos content rolling out. We don't need these kinds of discs anymore.

Hey Scott...since you don't need these kinds of discs anymore, can I borrow your September 2015 disc for a week or so to verify my Atmos configuration? I'll pay for shipping both ways.

I mean, since you don't need it and all, you won't miss it for a week.

:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I could definitely try to get the TFL and TFR to be much closer to the screen wall such that the distance between TR and TF is about 8ft to 10ft. The issue is that there is a bulk head running through this room. The bulk head is rather wide as it has HVAC trunk aswell as two beams running through.

So I could put the two TF speakers inside the bulk head. The room height is 9ft... but if the speakers are in the bulk head, the TF will be at 8ft height. I could also put TF speaker in the cavity between the screen wall and the start of the bulk head. but I am not sure if this is a good idea.

The TRR speaker is another issue. There just isn't anyway they can fit at their required optimum place as there is just too much HVAC pipes in the area. I could create a bulk head and place the TRR beside the return duct.

Take a look at the picture below. Please ignore the two red poles, as they will be relocated.

So in this situation:
TFs are in bulk head (at 8ft height) 8 to 9ft apart with each other.
TRL speaker can be placed between joists at 9ft height.
TRR speaker will be in a bulk head in front of the return duct. It will be 8ft height.

What do you guys think about this? Would this be a good compromise?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Auro don't have any real content other than their esoteric music stuff. Maybe they negotiated a distribution deal with their content providers that allows them to sell the discs, to give them away, to do wtf they like with them. Negotiating for the rights of TIËSTO’S album "Elements of Life" is, I guess, not nearly as difficult as negotiating for Transformers: Age of Ultron. I think we can see why.
Hmmm.... One of the World's best DJs vs a pretty average pseudo-scifi movie?

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Keith, Tiesto won a Grammy in 2015, and he's hardly obscure in the music world:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Tiësto

Maybe you need some EDM or Ozark Henry in your life :) .

·
Registered
28,981 Posts

What do you guys think about this? Would this be a good compromise?
My first choice would be to put the Top Middle speakers forward of the bulkhead and Front Height speakers high up on the front wall. This will give them decent separation while still keeping them symmetrical. Second choice would be to just have one pair of height speakers, mounted forward of the bulkhead, designated either TM or TF depending on what the elevation angle turns out to be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My first choice would be to put the Top Middle speakers forward of the bulkhead and Front Height speakers high up on the front wall. This will give them decent separation while still keeping them symmetrical. Second choice would be to just have one pair of height speakers, mounted forward of the bulkhead, designated either TM or TF depending on what the elevation angle turns out to be.
Hi Sanjay, thanks for the reply. I am abit confused. Are you suggesting this configuration?

If this works then it would be terrific as all speakers will be completely symmetrical. But aren't the TF speakers way too much in front. Key CiQ200QR have wide dispersion, but I am not sure if the sound will get dispersed to someone sitting 10 to 13 feet away on a couch. Also, there will be a bulk head close to them which may obstruct sound. Hopefully this shouldn't be a big issue.

Could you confirm this is indeed what you are suggesting?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
So a few enthusiasts can't/don't have access to some demo material. It's not the end of the world. But I guess it is today for those that don't.
Not the end of the world, but as with you, some of us have traveled beyond "regular" 7.1.4, and those blasted test tones would confirm if all is functioning as it should.

How goes it with the giveaway, @FilmMixer ?

Keith, Keith, Keith. Get your facts straight, the Auro disc contains 2.5 hours of movieclips, music, test signals, etc.

http://www.demo-world.eu/2014/10/16/auro-3d-2014-demonstration-disc/

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I agree they should be included....Or at least available directly from Dolby or authorized 3rd party at a lower cost with Dolby receiving the profit....I agree test tones should be standard issue. I agree that it showcases the technology, store purposes, in home demos with potentially new consumers buying the technology, etc etc......

Guys...There are a handful on eBay for $68 up to $125....So the material is available.
How is that not the end of the discussion? You paid $1k, 2k, 3k for an Atmos AVR/Prepro. You paid for the extra speakers. You paid for the extra amplifiers and cables...Are you really upset about paying an additional $80 or so if it's something you want so bad?????

It's $70-100.....Spears and Munsil would cost you $30+ anyway, even if it's only for setup with no wow factor.....Are we really haggling over the extra couple of twenty dollar bills in these expensive HTs???

It's available online even if not directly purchased from Dolby....The people who are upset they don't have one are the people who are not willing to pay for it (even if it is overpriced). You must not want it or need it bad enough. Either that or feel entitled to it.

·
Registered
28,981 Posts
Are you suggesting this configuration?

Close. I'm suggesting placing the TM pair as close to above the listeners as symmetrically possible. To that end, I have a quick question: how much to the left would you have to move the green speaker marked TRR to get it above the listeners? In your previous diagram, you had it almost above the MLP. Does it really need to move that far left in order to be above the couch?

For the FH pair, I was suggesting placing them high up on the front wall (not obstructed to listeners and well separated from the TM pair).

·
Bass Enabler
21,535 Posts
Not asking you to do anything, just pointing out why I don't have your let-them-eat-cake attitude and make glib comments like:
I understand your point of view, Sanjay but try and understand mine as well.

Because I have had the privilege of owning these disks, I am in a position that other should take notice of and listen to. My POV on the situation is that you can enjoy Atmos and live a happy immersive audio filled life with out these disks. I'm sorry to everybody here who wants them can not get them. That's not a choice I made. I was lucky to get them.

Hey Scott...since you don't need these kinds of discs anymore, can I borrow your September 2015 disc for a week or so to verify my Atmos configuration? I'll pay for shipping both ways.

I mean, since you don't need it and all, you won't miss it for a week.

:)
Hey! I would love to, seriously! Unfortunately, this material is copyrighted and I am forbidden from distributing it. I'd get in trouble if I did and lose trust with my contact. So, no. Sorry. :(

37081 - 37100 of 58966 Posts