AVS Forum banner

39001 - 39020 of 58959 Posts

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I'm enjoying upmixed movies MUCH more, where the heights get used a majority of the time.
I can't say I'd enjoy them more however this is pretty much my thinking. At this point the speakers are there and are going to be used one way or another... after a few disks Atmos stopped being a driving force.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Call me a philistine, but I'm beginning to think that sound designers are too conservative with Atmos tracks. I'm enjoying upmixed movies MUCH more, where the heights get used a majority of the time.
They are too conservative, especially in regards to the overheads. It actually takes me out of an immersively mixed action or other genre movie more frequently, when under certain circumstances, you know something would be emanating sounds from above, but the overheads are silent.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Why am I watching such crap? Just saw the 4K disc of Expendables 3 on the K-8500 ugghh! Still searching for the best 4K disc that has the best HDR AND ATMOS TRACK for the Sammy HU9000. Any suggestions?

Reactions: korsjs

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why am I watching such crap? Just saw the 4K disc of Expendables 3 on the K-8500 ugghh! Still searching for the best 4K disc that has the best HDR AND ATMOS TRACK for the Sammy HU9000. Any suggestions?
I don't know if Mad Max is with HDR, but even the Blu-ray was very impressive regarding picture and Dolby Atmos sound... it's still No. 1 for me.

Reactions: murphy2112

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
I don't know if Mad Max is with HDR, but even the Blu-ray was very impressive regarding picture and Dolby Atmos sound... it's still No. 1 for me.
The UHD Blu-ray has HDR10 expanded grading. There is no HDR capability with regular discs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The UHD Blu-ray has HDR10 expanded grading. There is no HDR capability with regular discs.
Dan, I know, that regular Blu-rays have no HDR ;) But neither all UHD Blu-rays have HDR!
I was just referring to Ahro, who is looking for a movie with HDR and best Atmos.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Dan, I know, that regular Blu-rays have no HDR
But neither all UHD Blu-rays have HDR!
I was just referring to Ahro, who is looking for a movie with HDR and best Atmos.
Then he should get Mad Max on UHD blu, but it's still a pretty silly action movie. It's no Die Hard or Lethal Weapon or Predator, that's for sure! :D

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am amazed at the sheer number of formats Batman vs Superman is releasing in. Conventional 2D, conventional 3D, standard digital IMAX, IMAX Laser with an IMAX 12-channel sound mix, IMAX 15/70 film, Dolby Vision HDR, a Dolby Atmos mix for cinemas so equipped, 5/70mm with Datasat sound, probably 35mm as well. I've never seen a movie with such a dizzying array of release formats!

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Batman vs. Superman

RottenTomatoes.com - Only 29% on the Tomatometer.

Average Rating: 5/10
Reviews Counted: 235
Fresh: 69
Rotten: 166

From a Rotten Tomatoes radio interview this morning:

I've watched episodes of Judge Judy more compelling than Batman vs. Superman.
and

Worse than Batman Forever.

and a few of my favorites from their site:

Bam! CGI defeats 'Batman v Superman.'
and

There's no joy here, no wonder or spectacle, just a relentlessly grim and intense grind that can't stop reminding you how grim and intense it is.
and

It's like putting your head in a beehive for two and a half hours.
and

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have your head driven through solid rock and glass and brick walls for two and a half hours, blinding flashes of lights unceasingly forcing your eyes shut? Would you like to have this experience accompanied by a blaring, schizophrenic musical score?
Ecetera, ecetera, ecetera. (bonus points for quote source)

I guess if you go and see it while stoned (Bob) it might be entertaining. My $12 will be going elsewhere.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Batman vs. Superman

RottenTomatoes.com - Only 29% on the Tomatometer.

Average Rating: 5/10
Reviews Counted: 235
Fresh: 69
Rotten: 166

From a Rotten Tomatoes radio interview this morning:
I think it's true of a lot of recent movies where I've liked the previous ones better than the latest ones. Some of them are:

Star Wars The Force Awakens
Spectre
The Hunger Games MockingJay Pt. 2

39001 - 39020 of 58959 Posts