AVS Forum banner

39021 - 39040 of 58969 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I do believe it will fit the bill Scott.

Note that I tend to ignore most reviews since I set the bar pretty low.

I have high hopes for

in two weeks though.

Looks like my cup'o tea.

Edit: Trailer 2 with some different footage.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Which movie or clip is a benchmark for Atmos? I just want to make sure that my system sounds perfect when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone6s+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have all of them, but I needed to know the best movie or clip to compare when I watch an Atmos material.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There are definitely good movies with better mixes, I just need a recommendation from those who watched a variety of Atmos movies.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
It's not like you can whip out a RadioShack hand-held Atmos meter and measure which movie clip pegs the needle on the Atmos scale. There is no objectively "best" movie clip. Just pick the one you like the most.

Now now Sanjay...usually you are a fount of reliable factual information.

Don't stop now.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The Fifth Element from October 2015
John Wick
Mad Max
Gravity: Diamond Luxe Atmos edition
Excellent for overall Atmos effect and soundtrack mix.
Also in this category:
Roger Waters The Wall
The Atmos mix of "Lucy"

Goosebumps: Invisible Boy on top of the car and any of the praying mantis scenes.
Possibly the best distinct use of overhead effects so far.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
There are definitely good movies with better mixes, I just need a recommendation from those who watched a variety of Atmos movies.

I also thought the Atmos remix for Bram Stoker's Dracula was pretty effective where it counted.

Gravity (from the Diamond Luxe edition) is probably one of the best uses of immersive surround currently out.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Csbooth
Goosebumps: Invisible Boy on top of the car and any of the praying mantis scenes.

I still haven't seen that and have repeatedly heard good things. So...just ran over to Best Buy. The Bluray is on sale right now for $17.99 - same price as Amazon.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Originally Posted by Csbooth

I still haven't seen that and have repeatedly heard good things. So...just ran over to Best Buy. The Bluray is on sale right now for $17.99 - same price as Amazon.
And if you give it a little time, this will be around $10, which is about what it's worth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 7.2.4 atmos setup in my theater at the moment. I also have a 3 row theater.. my room is long but very narrow so there barely 3ft on each side in the middle row and less even for front and back row. My ceilings are only 7ft high. My .4 are 2 in front of front row and 2 just in back of the back row.

Originally for 4 years i had 5.1 so it was easy to place the surround on side wall in back of last row, but now i am having trouble with the 2 extra speakers in the 7.1. The side surrounds, can Easily be located by the middle row as i have them slightly behind it.

Should i try and have 2 side surrounds on each side to lessen the locarion effect? Thanks

Room is 30×10×7ft

I have 10 seats total, they are made up of authentic movie seats from a 1960's theater. The back row being closest to the ceiling surprisingly with the back atmos speakers works well.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I have a 7.2.4 atmos setup in my theater at the moment. I also have a 3 row theater.. my room is long but very narrow so there barely 3ft on each side in the middle row and less even for front and back row. My ceilings are only 7ft high. My .4 are 2 in front of front row and 2 just in back of the back row.

Originally for 4 years i had 5.1 so it was easy to place the surround on side wall in back of last row, but now i am having trouble with the 2 extra speakers in the 7.1. The side surrounds, can Easily be located by the middle row as i have them slightly behind it.

Should i try and have 2 side surrounds on each side to lessen the locarion effect? Thanks

Room is 30×10×7ft

I have 10 seats total, they are made up of authentic movie seats from a 1960's theater. The back row being closest to the ceiling surprisingly with the back atmos speakers works well.
Question are they bookshelves? If so just get some boxes and play with different setups temporarily. I personally don't have a problem with multiple surrounds, but that setup can truly be room dependant. If you like having two sets of surrounds just make sure they are set up correctly, it wouldn't be 7.2.4 it would be 5.2.4 just with duplicated surrounds. And wire them in series to be safe. Plus if you do like it that way, you can still add Rears to get you back to 7.2.4.
That what my setup is, a 7.2.4 configuration but with a 9.4.8 speaker layout, works great in my room.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As luck would have it, there is a ceiling joist dead center of where my TF speakers should go, based on a 45 degree placement. Better to go forward of that 5" or closer to seating 5"? My ceiling is 7'2" high which ideally puts my TF speakers forward of the MLP about 48". Or doesn't it really matter?

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
C - doesn't really matter. You're in for an audio treat once you get things up and running.

39021 - 39040 of 58969 Posts