AVS Forum banner

39061 - 39080 of 58969 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Technically it's 7.x.4 by the way. 7.4 would be 7 bed layer channels and four subwoofers. Scott would approve, but that's neither here nor there.

The AudioSource AMP-100 is one of the more common ones used.

I run the Onkyo M-5010 in my set up.

Any 2 channel stereo amp will do it...even an older receiver can be used.
So how would one hook up an older receiver to work with a newer one? And the main receiver still needs to "process" 11 channels?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
So how would one hook up an older receiver to work with a newer one? And the main receiver still needs to "process" 11 channels?

Use THIS DIAGRAM as a reference.

You just have to use the right pre-outs to the right inputs...and out again.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What power amps are you 7.4 guys running for Dolby Atmos. Need to get a 2 channel power amp but dont want to break the bank. Any recommendations?
I looked at the AudioSource AMP100 but ended getting a good deal on the AudioSource AMP102 which has a 12V trigger input.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
You guys weren't lying. I watched Goosebumps with my boys last night and the sound was amazing with Atmos. Particularly the invisible boy, the praying mantis, and the bees. Awesome stuff!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Which movie or clip is a benchmark for Atmos? I just want to make sure that my system sounds perfect when it's done.

Chicago remastered in Dolby Atmos, but currently only available as an import from Japan. ;)

Reactions: showmak

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Intersting to see that Concussion UHD is Atmos. But the BD is DTS-HD.

Same with Point Break. UHD is Atmos but BD is DTS-HD.

Looks like some studios are starting to push immersive exclusively to UHD even on new releases as well as catalog re-releases.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Intersting to see that Concussion UHD is Atmos. But the BD is DTS-HD.

Same with Point Break. UHD is Atmos but BD is DTS-HD.

Looks like some studios are starting to push immersive exclusively to UHD even on new releases as well as catalog re-releases.
This unfortunately isn't really that surprising. A new video format of course needs a new audio format to go with it, despite the fact that immersive audio doesn't have anything to do with UHD. I'm in that group that thinks that in the not so distant future we aren't seeing Atmos mixes on any Blu-Ray releases. It's disappointing to be sure, especially knowing that the only reason Blu-Rays aren't going to be included is for what amounts to marketing reasons. If the decision is to hold Atmos off of Blu-Ray that certainly isn't going to do any favors for those on the fence about an immersive setup.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So I am getting ready to switch my 5.1.2 setup with up firing speakers to a 5.1.4 setup with ceiling speakers. Before I start cutting holes, I was hoping to get some quick advice on height speaker placement of the two options I include here. I am not sure if it would be better to create a wider sound stage, or have them line up with the front mains, like in Dolby's diagrams.

Any advice appreciated.
Dolby recommends having them inline with your fronts and assuming your ear height is about 36" you'll want to place the front heights 5 feet in front and back

·
Registered
349 Posts
Chicago remastered in Dolby Atmos, but currently only available as an import from Japan. ;)
Gravity does a good job also of demonstrating Atmos. Also hate to admit it but if you truly want to see if your new atmos system is "working" play the Transformers movie. Its sound overkill but impressive.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Also hate to admit it but if you truly want to see if your new atmos system is "working" play the Transformers movie. Its sound overkill but impressive.

I disagree. You shouldn't recommend this mix. It was one of the earlier Atmos mixes and while busy and "overkill", it isn't actually one of the better Atmos demos to properly showcase the technology.

Gravity Diamond Luxe edition, yes. Transformers, no. John Wick, yes. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NO.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
What power amps are you 7.4 guys running for Dolby Atmos. Need to get a 2 channel power amp but dont want to break the bank. Any recommendations?
Keep an eye on Ebay for a good deal on either the Onkyo M-282 2 channel amp or its Integra sister, the ADM 2.1 Both have 100 watts /channel with options for both a 12V trigger or Auto detect input.. .in addition, they feature input signal pass through if needed..

If you are not in a hurry, you can typically snag one for just over $100 - $120 shipped..sometimes less.. I have used both models over the years and they work great..

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Chicago remastered in Dolby Atmos, but currently only available as an import from Japan.
Gravity does a good job also of demonstrating Atmos. Also hate to admit it but if you truly want to see if your new atmos system is "working" play the Transformers movie. Its sound overkill but impressive.
Only impressive to those with Trinnov processors and more base layer surround speakers than four. It has little to no overhead activity.

Goosebumps and Gravity (being the winner) are much better as there is quite a lot more up top.

The opening of Unbroken also is demo material.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
What is the suggested upgrade path for those of us on 7.1? I just upgraded from 5.1 to 7.1 and I like what I hear, its a much more enveloping soundfield all around me.

Is 5.1.2 Atmos is a better option than 7.1? Does Dolby advise that? Moving to 7.1.2/5.1.4/7.1.4 is a massive and expensive upgrade because you need a much more expensive AVR, very few even have pre-outs.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Dolby recommends having them inline with your fronts and assuming your ear height is about 36" you'll want to place the front heights 5 feet in front and back
Yeah, I lined from my heights up with the front speakers and the results are great so far.

Since I only have 1.5 feet or so from the back wall in my setup, I am debating whether or not two more atmos speakers just behind my ears are worth it (as shown in my earlier pic.)

·
Registered
430 Posts
What is the suggested upgrade path for those of us on 7.1? I just upgraded from 5.1 to 7.1 and I like what I hear, its a much more enveloping soundfield all around me.

Is 5.1.2 Atmos is a better option than 7.1? Does Dolby advise that? Moving to 7.1.2/5.1.4/7.1.4 is a massive and expensive upgrade because you need a much more expensive AVR, very few even have pre-outs.
I think the consensus answer even in this thread might be no, with a preference ranking something like: 5.1 -> 7.1 -> 7.1.2 -> 7.1.4 -> 9.1.4 -> 9.1.6 -> ... (and 2 subs if possible) room permitting. For me, however, given my theater constraints, I went from 5.1 -> 5.1.2 -> 5.1.4 -> 7w.1.4 (and only one sub). Also, in my case, the 5.1.4 (now 7w.1.4) theater actually sounds better/more immersive for movies than the 7.1 living room upstairs, but it is also acoustically treated.

Had I to do it over again, I would have skipped .2 and gone right to .4 as it made a big difference. Adding the front-wides was also a nice improvement for native DTS:X and Atmos content - but had I been able to have rear surrounds, I wouldn't have wides (at least until "mainstream" receivers support rear surrounds with wides and 4 height channels)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Have a Denon 6200 receiver

Greeting:

Have a Atmos receiver and some Atmos Blu Ray movies, just wondering what the forum thinks what are the top 3 Atmos movies that are currently out as of now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, I lined from my heights up with the front speakers and the results are great so far.

Since I only have 1.5 feet or so from the back wall in my setup, I am debating whether or not two more atmos speakers just behind my ears are worth it (as shown in my earlier pic.)
I would still recommend adding them as your audyessy will minimize the proximity issue to your listening position to some degree. Others may have a different opinion but with Atmos / DTS-X and Aurora 3D the name of the game is "enveloping" sound primarily driven from the height aspect. You may end up kicking yourself later if you only add 2. Just me though

39061 - 39080 of 58969 Posts