AVS Forum banner

39081 - 39100 of 58969 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would still recommend adding them as your audyessy will minimize the proximity issue to your listening position to some degree. Others may have a different opinion but with Atmos / DTS-X and Aurora 3D the name of the game is "enveloping" sound primarily driven from the height aspect. You may end up kicking yourself later if you only add 2. Just me though
As someone who started with 5.1.2 and upgraded to 5.1.4 (and more recently 7w.1.4) I would definitely agree with @Dbruce13 and start out with .4 - it is a much better experience.

Reactions: tbrown187

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
I believe that some movie companies are releasing Atmos only in UHD BD to take advantage of HDCP 2.2
That's not the reason. Dolby Atmos and DTS: X are being looked at as another premium feature hook, an enticement to get people to upgrade.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
@jrogers

I must concur
given the golden opportunity to go from 7.1 to 7.x.4 by Sanjay no less visiting/sittingdirecting in my living room / HT layout
and without any WAF or (unreasonable) budget limitations

totally

·
Registered
774 Posts
Have a Atmos receiver and some Atmos Blu Ray movies, just wondering what the forum thinks what are the top 3 Atmos movies that are currently out as of now.
I haven't seen them all, but I'd say

John Wick
Gravity
Mad Max

IMHO, John Wick is the best. Really incredible production quality, both audio and video. But the film was too violent for my taste. It was recently on Amazon for under ten dollars. I almost bought it, but I don't think I could watch it again.

Not a movie, but the September 2015 Atmos demo disc is worth downloading.

·
Registered
157 Posts
@jrogers

I must concur

given the golden opportunity to go from 7.1 to 7.x.4 by Sanjay no less visiting/sittingdirecting in my living room / HT layout

and without any WAF or (unreasonable) budget limitations

totally

What about going from 5.14 and adding front wides instead of rear surrounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The other issue is from everything I've read, upfiring modules leave a lot to be desired compared to ceiling speakers, yes? And ceiling speakers won't be an option for the vast majority, even in the extreme enthusiast AVS crowd.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
What about going from 5.14 and adding front wides instead of rear surrounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Won't get near as much use as Rears, DSU doesn't use them at all and Atmos only uses them for object placement.
DTS-X and Neural-X will use them, but I would still bet not as much as Rears, since DSU replaced PLIIx, the Rears are used with 5.1 DD content also, I'm not sure about more often or not, but they're definitely more discrete than before, some content has even reminded me of discrete 7.1 audio it's been so good.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The other issue is from everything I've read, upfiring modules leave a lot to be desired compared to ceiling speakers, yes? And ceiling speakers won't be an option for the vast majority, even in the extreme enthusiast AVS crowd.
But there are always height speakers as another alternative, not as good as in-ceiling, but a very close second, and IMO considerably better than upfiring modules, unless you have an absolutely prefect setup and room, and even then I think they would give the modules a run for their money, esp since height speakers aren't restricted to the frequency limiting of the upfiring modules or the Dolby Enabled signal.
As many of us have found, the fuller the speaker the better, up to matching your surrounds.
Plus they're not hard to incorporate into most rooms, therefore it mostly ends up a WAF issue more than anything.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Chicago remastered in Dolby Atmos, but currently only available as an import from Japan. ;)
I'll have to find that, why not, ordered I'm my Hong Kong version of "Lucy" and I already owned the regular copy of it, I don't have "Chicago" at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Greeting:

Have a Atmos receiver and some Atmos Blu Ray movies, just wondering what the forum thinks what are the top 3 Atmos movies that are currently out as of now.
I have some but have not gotten around to watching them all. San Andreas, it was fun hearing all the stuff fall around you during the earthquakes, (oops, spoiler alert LOL)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
^

what he said

and @Defcon: And ceiling speakers won't be an option for the vast majority, even in the extreme enthusiast AVS crowd.

this may qualify as "extreme" Scatmos .6 set up in about a 7 ft square with 36 ft^2 of 5 1/2" broadband clouds. . .
immersive

total cost about $1K, not counting older AVR's just sitting around

would never trade even the .4 for FW or FH, even tho the AVR can do the FW's i have hooked up, (because they were there)

the on ceiling overheads rule . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Man that's bad news. Seems like the investment in Denon X5200 is now ok at best. Since companies are moving away from Atmos on Blu-Ray and keeping it on the UHD format, that really makes the investment almost irrelevant. So even if I do end up getting a UHD player, 1) My projector doesn't do 4k, so not sure if that is an issue for comatiblilty 2) I have to run a second HDMI cable from the projector to the blu-ray player. sigh.

And here I was about to ask which upcoming blu-rays support Atmos and how many titles we can anticipate this year, and next.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Man that's bad news. Seems like the investment in Denon X5200 is now ok at best. Since companies are moving away from Atmos on Blu-Ray and keeping it on the UHD format, that really makes the investment almost irrelevant. So even if I do end up getting a UHD player, 1) My projector doesn't do 4k, so not sure if that is an issue for comatiblilty 2) I have to run a second HDMI cable from the projector to the blu-ray player. sigh.

And here I was about to ask which upcoming blu-rays support Atmos and how many titles we can anticipate this year, and next.
I am in a similar position as you. I have a Sony VPL-VW50 which is 1080p. I have a 7.1.4 setup and I do not regret it in the least. DSU is so effective that it makes even non-Atmos movies better, for me, significantly so.

I even tried UHD with the Samsung K8500. I returned it for several reasons. It gave a very detailed image, but a higher contrast level that I could not get corrected and a distinct red push. It was due in part to the player, and in part due to the UHD disk itself.

So, I am willing to live happily with the limitations of what I have. It is worlds better than the 5.1 that I started with. I went thru 5.1.2; then 5.1.4; then 7.1.2; and quickly to 7.1.4.

I am still an Atmos fan! :D

And, my TF and TR speakers are on ceiling, not in ceiling...

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's not the reason. Dolby Atmos and DTS: X are being looked at as another premium feature hook, an enticement to get people to upgrade.
I agree with you here, however - by packaging Atmos with UHD (and some only doing it with UHD), puts that upgrade pressure on consumers. You'd need a new receiver, a UHD BD player and a 4K TV or projector, that are all HDCP 2.2 compatible.

HDCP 2.2 also helps keep the "rippers" at bay. Industry is now designed to keep a person dependent on the supplier. Apple locks a person in, Microsoft seems to want to get rid of the independent builder, etc....

If you can keep a consumer locked in - you guarantee a continued money stream.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Anyone know if Netflix sends out downgraded Blu-rays?

Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came in Dolby 7.1 as well as Dolby Atmos and didn't know there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I agree with you here, however - by packaging Atmos with UHD (and some only doing it with UHD), puts that upgrade pressure on consumers. You'd need a new receiver, a UHD BD player and a 4K TV or projector, that are all HDCP 2.2 compatible.

HDCP 2.2 also helps keep the "rippers" at bay. Industry is now designed to keep a person dependent on the supplier. Apple locks a person in, Microsoft seems to want to get rid of the independent builder, etc....

If you can keep a consumer locked in - you guarantee a continued money stream.
Connecting UHD to Atmos isn't going to help Atmos with gaining a mass audience. I would be curious to know how many people who are on this site (even in this thread) are completely setup to the point where they can watch a UHD right now? I'm close, but as of this moment I can't raise my hand. Limiting Atmos to only UHD is going to take a technology that I think was going to have a hard time as is getting mass adoption and further narrow the group that can actually benefit from it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Rented Mockingjay part 2 Blu-ray from Netlix and it was only in straight Dolby 5.1 and not Dolby Atmos? My understanding was that the blu-ray only came in Dolby 7.1 as well as Dolby Atmos and didn't know there was a crap version. Anyone know if Netflix gets different copies than the standard consumer Blu ray release?
Lionsgate doesn't send lossless versions of movies to Redbox. Recently I've noticed that Universal no longer is even sending Blu-Rays to Redbox.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Lionsgate dumbs their rental copies down.

39081 - 39100 of 58969 Posts