AVS Forum banner

39221 - 39240 of 59261 Posts

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
Apparently the immersive soundtrack on the 'Ip Man 3' Blu-ray uses all 16 waveforms that the initial version of DTS:X is capable of:

But are they "free floating" objects or snapped to specific speakers?

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Neat, thanks Sanjay. Is that from a Yamaha thread?

Do you know what the "P" stands for in "FPR", "FPL", etc. (I figured out the F/R and L/R parts :p)

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
Don't know. Probably doesn't matter much. More important that DTS has finally gotten object encoding working (IF the Yamaha info screen is to be believed).

Best part is going back a couple months and reading posts from the initial DTS:X update, specifically the comments about how much more precisely DTS:X places objects compared to Atmos.

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
Don't know. Probably doesn't matter much. More important that DTS has finally gotten object encoding working (IF the Yamaha info screen is to be believed).

Best part is going back a couple months and reading posts from the initial DTS:X update, specifically the comments about how much more precisely DTS:X places objects compared to Atmos.
It matters if you're a Trinnov owner or want to step up to something more capable than 11.1 processing any time in the near future. ;)

Then you're hoping most releases are mixed in Atmos.

·
Bass Enabler
21,622 Posts
Should be as I proved to you that the DTS dialog control was functioning as it should. IE: objects.

Erm...well, to give you credit. Those aren't regular movie BD's.

Lol seriously? I don't remember that being a thing. Must not have caught on. ;)

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
It matters if you're a Trinnov owner...
Let them eat cake.
...or want to step up to something more capable than 11.1 processing any time in the near future.
Matrix extracted Wides aren't the end of the world. When listening to those speakers in the midst of 9 other speakers making noise, who'll be able to discern which of those sounds are discrete objects and which were pulled from adjacent channels? Same with extracted Top Middles.
Then you're hoping most releases are mixed in Atmos.
Hoping for more releases of immersive mixes, irrespective of format (they're all capable of sounding excellent).

·
Bass Enabler
21,622 Posts
Aren't objects for Atmos dry? I don't know if this is same for X.
Depends on the mix.

I've heard (usually the bad ones) where there is the occasional 'dry' sfx in the heights and that's it. Silence.

Others are very good and have all sorts of realistic reflections, ambience and sfx in the height channels.

Just depends.

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
Let them eat cake. Matrix extracted Wides aren't the end of the world. When listening to those speakers in the midst of 9 other speakers making noise, who'll be able to discern which of those sounds are discrete objects and which were pulled from adjacent channels? Same with extracted Top Middles. Hoping for more releases of immersive mixes, irrespective of format (they're all capable of sounding excellent).
It's about innovation and being closer to the theatrical immersive version in a consumer format not about whether or not the Trinnov or something similar is affordable to mere mortals. I'd love to be able to afford something like that... it sounds spectacular. I'd be happy with something more "reasonable" that does 16 or so speaker outputs, but we need soundtracks that are actually capable of utilizing those positions. DTS: X, at present, may not be able to deliver the goods.

And just because you may not utilize wides, doesn't mean others don't... like me.

·
Bass Enabler
21,622 Posts
Not in the Yamaha threads, but think back to some initial comments in the Denon 7200 thread.
Ah, okay. Thanks. I don't follow the Denon thread (I barely keep up with the Yamaha ones, only just recently posting a lot) and never saw such kinds of mention in the main DTS:X threads.

Not too surprised that such comments are made. ;)

It's about innovation and being closer to the theatrical immersive version in a consumer format not about whether or not the Trinnov or something similar is affordable to mere mortals. I'd love to be able to afford something like that... it sounds spectacular. I'd be happy with something more "reasonable" that does 16 or so speaker outputs, but we need soundtracks that are actually capable of utilizing those positions. DTS: X, at present, may not be able to deliver the goods.

And just because you may not utilize wides, doesn't mean others don't... like me.
Oh boy.

Dan. You just need to get a Trinnov Altitude32* already.

* @sdrucker endorses this message. :D

Until then, you'll never be happy with the state of immersive audio on the consumer end. Just a guess.

7.1.4 sounds wickedly awesome. I don't ever think I need so many more vector points for audio playback when I watch movies in my HT system. This has nothing to do with wides anymore.

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
Ah, okay. Thanks. I don't follow the Denon thread (I barely keep up with the Yamaha ones, only just recently posting a lot) and never saw such kinds of mention in the main DTS:X threads.

Not too surprised that such comments are made. ;)

Oh boy.

Dan. You just need to get a Trinnov Altitude32* already.

* @sdrucker endorses this message. :D

Until then, you'll never be happy with the state of immersive audio on the consumer end. Just a guess.

7.1.4 sounds wickedly awesome. I don't ever think I need so many more vector points for audio playback when I watch movies in my HT system. This has nothing to do with wides anymore.
Scott, if you want to start a Trinnov Altitude32 charity drive for little ol' me, go right ahead. I won't stop you. :D

·
Registered
29,204 Posts
It's about innovation and being closer to the theatrical immersive version in a consumer format not about whether or not the Trinnov or something similar is affordable to mere mortals.
For me it's about using whatever is needed (channels, objects, matrix extraction) to get the intended results for the home version of the mix. If sounds were going to phantom image between the Fronts and Sides, then I have no problem extracting those sounds and sending them to Wides. Or converting those sounds to objects placed at the Wides locations. Or some other technique that gives the intended results.
If you heard a bunch of sounds coming from the Wides, would you be able to tell which specific sounds were discrete objects and which ones were pulled from adjacent channels?

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Neat, thanks Sanjay. Is that from a Yamaha thread?

Do you know what the "P" stands for in "FPR", "FPL", etc. (I figured out the F/R and L/R parts :p)
I think it stands for Presence Bat.

·
Registered
589 Posts
On the content side, it's a good day for Atmos and UltraHD Blu-ray : Ghostbusters 1 and 2 will both feature remixes in Atmos while Paramount is joining UHD Blu-ray with Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness both in Atmos, the first one being a remix of course as it was out before Atmos came out in theaters. Into Darkness was mixed in Atmos in theaters.

Am I the only one feeling DTS must not be feeling too good about their current presence on Ultra HD Blu-ray for object based audio ?

·
Registered
15,230 Posts
On the content side, it's a good day for Atmos and UltraHD Blu-ray : Ghostbusters 1 and 2 will both feature remixes in Atmos while Paramount is joining UHD Blu-ray with Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness both in Atmos, the first one being a remix of course as it was out before Atmos came out in theaters. Into Darkness was mixed in Atmos in theaters.

Am I the only one feeling DTS must not be feeling too good about their current presence on Ultra HD Blu-ray for object based audio ?
I'll take the original cast Star Treks fully restored in 4k (theatrical and director's cuts) and completely remixed in Atmos rather than those cruddy JJ Abrams reboots (all about the same quality as Star Trek V IMHO... yes even the original films had to have a real turkey in the mix - though it was hampered by studio tampering and a low budget), but of course Paramount has to have a tie in with the next flick.

39221 - 39240 of 59261 Posts