AVS Forum banner

39241 - 39260 of 59235 Posts

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Wait.... WHOAH.... SLOW DOWN. Dan prefers the old Star Trek movies to the newer reboots??? STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Reactions: Scott Simonian

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Yawn.... I stopped listening when you said "Mad Max" wasn't good either.... I guess there hasn't been a good movie made since, well, 1989 or so?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Yup. I can't stand the juvenile scripts and the fact that Mr. Spock, of all characters, is the most emotional of all the characters! Lame, man, lame.
I agree with this, JJ doesn't get the Star Trek or Wars universes, has admitted as much, and proceeded to destroy both with terrible plots and story telling. There is nothing Trek about his movies if you take out the character and ship names, its just another blockbuster.

So is it fair to say Disney is waiting a few months before they make us double dip for the Atmos and DTS:X release of TFA?

·
Registered
15,227 Posts
Yawn.... I stopped listening when you said "Mad Max" wasn't good either.... I guess there hasn't been a good movie made since, well, 1989 or so?
It's my opinion, man. If you liked Mad Max more power to you. It would have been cool if they had stuck with practical stunts like its predecessors (it was loaded with CGI enhancements... it's amazing at how many there were) and didn't have a plot that just consisted of driving one way in the desert... and then reversing. Rinse, repeat. Gotta have more to the action than that.

In my opinion.

·
Bass Enabler
21,612 Posts
As long as all those movies have 100% of their content mixed to the "wides".

Cuz can't be bothered to move the left and right sorta further out into the room for dat 'wider soundstage'. MOAR SPEAKERS!!!

:p

Wouldn't be funny if it wasn't true. :D

·
Registered
15,227 Posts
I agree with this, JJ doesn't get the Star Trek or Wars universes, has admitted as much, and proceeded to destroy both with terrible plots and story telling. There is nothing Trek about his movies if you take out the character and ship names, its just another blockbuster.

So is it fair to say Disney is waiting a few months before they make us double dip for the Atmos and DTS:X release of TFA?

Everyone seems to think Disney is waiting to put their toe in the UHD waters before releasing immersive audio tracks. Maybe this Christmas... or early next year.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
I'll send you $5 to start you off. :D
At that rate he'll just afford a DB-25->XLR cable to use with the Altitude by CEDIA :) ....that's cruel and unusual punishment LOL.

In all seriousness, I'm FINALLY getting out of home purchase/remodel gridlock and moving on to at least a 9.2.4 system in about a month. That and waiting for a few minor things like a specific set of speakers for heights and a second amp kept me from having more than just a placeholder configuration since I got the Altitude last summer. And then there's wiring and having to get the electrician to bump up the HT area to a dedicated pair of 20A circuits. And so on.....not to mention working for a living. Just having a Trinnov is only part of the equation, unfortunately.

One thing I'm going to do is set up a bunch of Atmos presets to look at some of these issues that have been raised. For instance, I'll set up a 7.2.4 preset to compare to a 9.2.2 on selected content, or 9.2.4 vs. 9.2.6, and something similar for DTS:X to see what the center extraction of wides ("front side surrounds") brings to the table in a 9.1.2 setup or whatver is supported in the future.

If there's specific content where you'd want to look at wides getting objects, or to compare DTS:X with and without wides with a native DTS:X mix (I'm throwing this out to the group) if that's supported ala Denon, I'm all ears when the time comes.

With 24 channels and what could be a wider rather than longer room in my case, I might also look into adding more resolution (maybe a set of left and right center speakers, for example) with a pair of bookshelves to see whether there's much Atmos object use there.

I will say that now that ST: Into Darkness is coming out in UHD/Atmos, a Samnsug or Panny UHD player is going to be in the future sooner rather than later, even if it's short-term until Oppo has theirs out.

And after all those CEDIA demos with the opening scene of that Trek, that's going to be a great reference disc for testing out some of those object passthroughs....there's some things I remember from the Procella demo in 2014 that I've got to see if I can reproduce at home.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
The Trinnov can matrix extract Wides with DTS:X soundtracks?

I'm speculating toward the future, since DTS:X itself is awaiting the next software update, and AFAIK there's still going to be the 11 channel limit just like anyone else. Only the upmixer is available right now at up to 7.1.4.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Something Wrong???

You can also download the same DTS:X test from Demo World. Just save it on a USB and plug it into your blu-ray player.
I went to the site, but dont see any indications I can download a particular Disk. I recall seeing the download before but now I don't.. Do they limit what you can do each day or???

·
Registered
390 Posts
Me To

I must be a real goofball, but I can't find a link to download the item? I got to the website, but all the clicking doesn't lead me to a download page :(
I notice the same thing, but I recall having the ability when I looked at the site a few hours ago.. They may be working on or adding new content so they removed this capability right now... It is early morning Tuesday in the UK, so they may be doing backups or something?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Might be due to JJ's supposed 'Not a fan' statement which is Hollywood speak for 'I hate it'.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Really need some help here, please!. I got the Polk OWM5 for the Atmos setup which was recommended a lot in this thread.
Couple of questions:
1. For those that use these speakers for Atmos - did you mount them as heights on the wall or went with mounted on the ceiling?.
2. What kind of mount did you use. I see polk website suggests the Omnimount 10.0 - cant determine if they would fit the atmos angle requirements and also hold the weight. What did you folks end up using/doing?.
3. Can you please share some pictures on your OMW5 mounting layout?.

I am doing the 7.2.4 layout.

39241 - 39260 of 59235 Posts