AVS Forum banner

39261 - 39280 of 58951 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am using four OWM5's and IMHO they are working very well. I didn't want to go with in ceiling speakers as I wasn't sure upon the final configuration and since I already had Polk speakers I decided to go with these. I first started with 7.2.2 but wasn't happy with the results. So I added another pair and I am now in the configuration shown in the picture. I used the bracket that comes with the speaker and just mounted them to the joists in the ceiling. The good thing about the bracket is it sets your angle to 45 deg. So it you are wanting to point the speaker at the MLP and using the angles outlined by Dolby then your are set. However, it you want to point them straight down you almost have to go with the Omnimount.

Since mine are aligned with the joists they are pointed down but not at the MLP. I may try to rotate them around at some point so they are pointing to the MLP and see if there is any difference. I can do this by leaving one side attached to the joist and using a dry wall anchor bolt for the other end. Please excuse the wiring in the photo, I haven't yet moved the wiring from the middle position. Just wanted to get it set up so I can try it out.

So how does it sound, in one word awesome! In the Dolby Amaze demo you can hear the bird fly AROUND the room. The falling rain is seamless all around. Using the Audiosphere demo it is easy to locate the sounds. In the Amaze demo the space ships are virtually seamless from front to back.

One note, when I first installed the 4 speakers I had not installed my acoustic treatment. I then also treated the first reflections for the Atmos speakers which greatly helped the staging. Before when the bird flew around the room in the demo there were holes in the sound particularly in front. After I installed the treatment it became more seamless. My next step will be to toe in the speakers toward the MLP to see if things get even better. But for now I am going to enjoy it as is.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am using four OWM5's and IMHO they are working very well.
Cheers!
Thanks for the info and pictures. I didn't even realize the provided bracket can be this useful. I was looking at this mount as an option - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E5VZFE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Not sure if it can hold the weight and Atmos angles.

Edit: Read the reviews in Amazon and folks reported success with OWM5/3 mounting. This reviewer has posted photos of OWM5 mounted in ceiling - http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2TR8PLL4P9WHA/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001E5VZFE

Anyone here used these mounts?.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Yeah, I had a hard time finding good brackets for my overheads as well. Ended up with some "Full Metal Brackets" from another Canadian company, Axiom Audio. The adjustment points have "teeth" so that they lock into place at whatever angle you want, and they are, as the name suggests, made of 100% metal and it is pretty thick metal too. Zero sag, zero slipping... They aren't cheap though. Something like $45 each...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Edit: Read the reviews in Amazon and folks reported success with OWM5/3 mounting. This reviewer has posted photos of OWM5 mounted in ceiling - http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2TR8PLL4P9WHA/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001E5VZFE

Anyone here used these mounts?.
Those look like the might work. Certianly would make it easier to play with oriention. I really like these: http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-DVFR1W-1-Recessed-Electrical-Mounting/dp/B002W6ZOR4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

It looks like they could be mount in these boxes if someone doesn't want to surface mount the bracket. Plus they wouldn't hang down as far.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I don't know what the back of the speaker looks like, but for speakers using keyhole mounts I'm using the Videosecu mounting brackets. They work well with the keyhole mount (they were suggested to me by the guys at SVS) and despite being a ball mount I haven't seen any evidence of slippage. The only thing I really did differently with them was replace the little wall anchor that was included and went with toggle bolts instead. My speakers (SVS Prime Satellites) only weigh about 7 pounds, so it's not a tremendous amount of weight.

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Universal-Satellite-Speaker-Bracket/dp/B005BV0FHG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459962782&sr=1-2&keywords=speaker+mount

·
Registered
56 Posts
And why don't you try these ones: heavy duty speaker brackets. I am using them and I am very glad to have them. Easy to mount, 360 degrees horizontal, 180 degrees vertical allignment.

You can see how they look like in my signature.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
HELP! I have the Onkyo 646 receiver and the Klipcsh Dolby Atmos speakers. It is capable of rendering simulated Atmos on non-atmos discs using Dolby surround.

When I'm playing a non-atmos disc and I want simulated Atmos, I put it on dolby surround. The input reads master audio and the output reads dolby surround 5.1.2,which is activating the height channels.

But am I getting master audio AND dolby surround, or am I losing the loseless master audio and just getting DD .5.1.2 dolby surround, but not getting it in lossless audio? I hope I'm making sense with my question.

Reactions: korsjs

·
Registered
589 Posts
But am I getting master audio AND dolby surround, or am I losing the loseless master audio and just getting DD .5.1.2 dolby surround, but not getting it in lossless audio? I hope I'm making sense with my question.
You are getting lossless audio plus the upmix to your two height channels. Not Dolby Digital if you input Master Audio.

Reactions: ahro

·
Registered
810 Posts
HELP! I have the Onkyo 646 receiver and the Klipcsh Dolby Atmos speakers. It is capable of rendering simulated Atmos on non-atmos discs using Dolby surround.

When I'm playing a non-atmos disc and I want simulated Atmos, I put it on dolby surround. The input reads master audio and the output reads dolby surround 5.1.2,which is activating the height channels.

So i am going to do the 7.1.4 Atmos setup with the Pioneer SC-95. Are all the speakers used when i watch Directv shows or are the Atmos ceiling speakers only used during playback of Atmos blue rays? I am more into video files for all my movies. Are there videos files for Atmos movies. Hope someone can explain this to a novice.

·
Registered
589 Posts
So i am going to do the 7.1.4 Atmos setup with the Pioneer SC-95. Are all the speakers used when i watch Directv shows or are the Atmos ceiling speakers only used during playback of Atmos blue rays? I am more into video files for all my movies. Are there videos files for Atmos movies. Hope someone can explain this to a novice.
Atmos receivers come with an upmixer called Dolby Surround, this will allow you to upmix traditional content, including DirectTV shows, to 7.1.4, so your ceiling speakers will be active if you want.

Regarding video files, Atmos is embedded into the regular TrueHD tracks, so yes it can be read from files with a working player than can provide TrueHD bitstream to the receiver.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
You are getting lossless audio plus the upmix to your two height channels. Not Dolby Digital if you input Master Audio.
Thanks -- the input reads master audio and then I press the movie modes button until I get DOLBY SURROUND, so you're saying I'm getting master audio AND dolby surround.

Reactions: korsjs

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks -- the input reads master audio and then I press the movie modes button until I get DOLBY SURROUND, so you're saying I'm getting master audio AND dolby surround.
Yes, Dolby Surround is the name of the upmixer, nothing to do with the old audio format.

Reactions: Furuya and ahro

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Atmos receivers come with an upmixer called Dolby Surround, this will allow you to upmix traditional content, including DirectTV shows, to 7.1.4, so your ceiling speakers will be active if you want.

Regarding video files, Atmos is embedded into the regular TrueHD tracks, so yes it can be read from files with a working player than can provide TrueHD bitstream to the receiver.
When you say a working player does that mean using Plex??

·
Registered
589 Posts
When you say a working player does that mean using Plex??
I can't tell on this side, I don't use an HTPC or similar device, I'm all disc based :)

·
Registered
56 Posts

It really doesn't matter as you can not hear the difference. Unless you have some supa-dupa-allien-excelent hearing and 100 000 +$ sound system and special treated room. Most of the sound formats - lossy and lossless carry the same end user perception, but we all think if something is lossless it is better. Yes, it is, but not for the sound we hear rather than the psychological effects we expect.
It is the same as you are sold a receiver which can play up to 100 000 Hz sound frequency. Most of us, over 30 years old, can hear at best up to 17 000-sh Hz (what an optimist I am). So, what benefit do you get if your receiver can play up to 100 000 Hz frequency. None. Just marketing b****its.

That is my opinion and experience. Do not get me wrong - I don't want to loose my HD Audio formats as I want their most liked benefit - the bass output. And I am not sure if that depends on the lossless audio or the better subwoofer I have. Most of the time I cannot tell any difference at all. For example Daredevil has one of the best soundracks I've ever heard and it is just 5.1 Lossy DD. Not to mention The Pacific.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
It really doesn't matter as you can not hear the difference. Unless you have some supa-dupa-allien-excelent hearing and 100 000 +$ sound system and special treated room. Most of the sound formats - lossy and lossless carry the same end user perception, but we all think if something is lossless it is better. Yes, it is, but not for the sound we hear rather than the psychological effects we expect.
It is the same as you are sold a receiver which can play up to 100 000 Hz sound frequency. Most of us, over 30 years old, can hear at best up to 17 000-sh Hz (what an optimist I am). So, what benefit do you get if your receiver can play up to 100 000 Hz frequency. None. Just marketing b****its.

That is my opinion and experience. Do not get me wrong - I don't want to loose my HD Audio formats as I want their most liked benefit - the bass output. And I am not sure if that depends on the lossless audio or the better subwoofer I have. Most of the time I cannot tell any difference at all. For example Daredevil has one of the best soundracks I've ever heard and it is just 5.1 Lossy DD. Not to mention The Pacific.
Actually, I don't care what you think I spoke to an engineer at Klipsch today to make sure if I use Dolby surround that I wouldn't loose the ceiling effect if my input was Master audio or True HD (on a non-Atmos track) and my output was Dolby surround 5.1.2. He verified that that was correct, I recognize I'm not going to get he same effect as a true Atmos track, but I wanted to make sure it came close. I want to get the best out of the sound system I have, and it doesn't matter to me if it's psychological or not. Why do some posters butt in just to display their so-called 'superior' knowledge instead of just leaving it alone. It's a waste of time, and a waste of my time to have to respond.

Reactions: korsjs and deano86

·
Registered
56 Posts
Actually, I don't care what you think I spoke to an engineer at Klipsch today to make sure if I use Dolby surround that I wouldn't loose the ceiling effect if my input was Master audio or True HD (on a non-Atmos track) and my output was Dolby surround 5.1.2. He verified that that was correct, I recognize I'm not going to get he same effect as a true Atmos track, but I wanted to make sure it came close. I want to get the best out of the sound system I have, and it doesn't matter to me if it's psychological or not. Why do some posters butt in just to display their so-called 'superior' knowledge instead of just leaving it alone. It's a waste of time, and a waste of my time to have to respond.
Actually, I was trying to help you with your question and make you understand that it really doesn't matter if you get DTS HD MA / Dolby TrueHD when you upmix, because that won't affect in no way to your audio perception and satisfaction. Let's put it that way - upmixers upgrade, don't downgrade. So what you upmix stays as a format/decoder/sound codec and upmixer just adds sound to the additional speakers in order to use the full potential of your system.

If you felt offended in any way that was not my intention at all.

I do not pretend to have any superior knowledge, nor does my post. All I know and trying to share is based on reading firstly user-manuals, and than comes the self-experience, reading tech literature and magazines, participating in forums. But most of my knowledge comes from the cycle testing-mistake-testing-mistake-testing-satisfaction. That's all. And that is how everyone should proceed with their own home theatres, as everybody has a totally different environment, equipment, speakers, placement, cables, obstacles, power supplies, furniture, perceptions, etc., which affect the sound in thousands of different ways.

Have a nice day, enjoy your HT with many movie hours with Atmos/DTS: X and DSU / N: X. Peace.:wink:

Regards,
Hristo

39261 - 39280 of 58951 Posts