AVS Forum banner

49281 - 49300 of 58936 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Are you able to output atmos when streaming Netflix to a 1080p display if you subscribe to the 4k plan? I currently have only the 1080p plan and don't own a 4k display, but if I can get atmos from some of the Netflix originals by upgrading the plan then I will do so.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I do thru windows 10, Atmos does not require anything 4K, just the high end 4K plan from Netflix. I needed it for 3 devices anyway, so I already had the big plan.

Netflix over the internet thru the windows 10 PC out to the receiver to decode it into Atmos. You can use Xbox and something else........it shows what is supported on the Netflix site.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Can someone help me with my 5.1.2 specifically atmos speaker placement. I am using a denon 3300w, in a 20X20 room in the basement. I bought the polk OWM 3 atmos speakers and so should install them right above the seating position a few feet apart on each side? should it be directly above or a bit to the front of the seating position.

I watched a few netflix atmos shows through my xbox one x and I can hear the atmos speakers and they show that they are active but not had an experience where I was wowed by it, It could be the way atmos was implemented on the show. My receiver put it at 150hz crossover and right now I have them as top middle.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Can someone help me with my 5.1.2 specifically atmos speaker placement. I am using a denon 3300w, in a 20X20 room in the basement. I bought the polk OWM 3 atmos speakers and so should install them right above the seating position a few feet apart on each side? should it be directly above or a bit to the front of the seating position.
I would put them slightly in front of MLP, in line with the Front Left and Front Right, or even inboard a little in a 20 ft wide room, depending on where your mains are located. Our hearing is not all that great with sounds coming from behind us, or from directly above us, so putting them slightly ahead of MLP helps with that. If they are aimable in any way, then aim them in the general direction of the listening area.

I watched a few netflix atmos shows through my xbox one x and I can hear the atmos speakers and they show that they are active but not had an experience where I was wowed by it, It could be the way atmos was implemented on the show. My receiver put it at 150hz crossover and right now I have them as top middle.
Bear in mind that Atmos content varies greatly in how much use they make of the overhead speakers. My advice would be to download the (free) Atmos trailers and use those as a guide to how well your speakers are doing.

150Hz is a rather high crossover and would suggest that the speakers are not all that capable (sorry, not trying to be snippy here). It may be worth considering something in the future that has a better overall FR.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
appreciate the knowlege , I may even have one of the mono cables from my photography gear, controls an off camera flash for the sync.
It can be hit or miss whether the stereo cables will work. I can confirm that they do work Denon to Emotiva.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

As suggested by 'kbarnes' download the Atmos demos and put them on a USB thumb drive then plug into your Xbox One X. These will certainly highlight your Atmos speakers.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
It can be hit or miss whether the stereo cables will work. I can confirm that they do work Denon to Emotiva.
Agreed...it’s likely due to the difference in size/location/relative position of the contact points between the stereo cable pins and the device connectors. In any case, it’s probably best to use a mono cable to avert the possibility of a mismatch.

Reactions: Ted99

·
Registered
895 Posts
Are you referring to the RSL C34E? That's probably the range I'm looking at for speakers right now if that is the case. If it makes it so I can hear ATMOS then I'll gladly get them. Looks like there is a 30 day audition period so I guess I can verify if there is that big of a difference. Just will have to upgrade the AVR at some point to take advantage of the rear ATMOS speakers that are just sitting there. :frown:
If you have Klipsch all the way around you might want to look at the Klipsch CDT-5800-C, or the CDT-5650-C. They are a bit more in price, but should match your other speakers better and work good for Atmos. The woofer and tweeter are aimable. The 8" is about $225 if you call around, and the 6" about $200.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought the RSL C34E ceiling speakers...2 only to be exact for top middle. they produced good sound above, but when i moved up to the to the Dennon 6400, I needed 4 ceiling speakers, so i decided to go bigger and went with the mica M-8 https://www.amazon.com/Micca-M-8C-Ceiling-Speaker-Pivoting/dp/B002YPS6T6 and never looked back. they sound fantastic with my Klipsch setup!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
In addition to the already mentioned Batman V Superman and San Andreas.. there is Enchanted Kingdom, Ghost in the Shell, Jupiter Ascending, Pan, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and TMNT Out of Shadows, Terminator Genisys, The Great Wall, Transformers Age of Extinction, Transformers The Last Knight. I myself have many others in which I mux the 2D Atmos soundtrack onto the 3D video.. The most famous being Gravity.... along with Justice League, Kong Skull Island, Fantastic Beasts, Wonder Woman... etc..
This is very good to know thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey everyone, anybody using the speakercraft aim series for there ceiling speakers? I have four of the Aim 273's (Aim 7 Three series 2) in my 5.1.4 set up and am looking for some advice on how best to aim these speakers. I have them physically in the ceiling as close as I could get them to the Dolby recommendations, but the rears are a little closer to the MLP. I have been running this setup for a few months now and am really enjoying it but I still feel I am missing out on the WOW factor of the ceiling speakers and I am wondering if it is due to how i have the speakers aimed. I have a denon 4400 and ran audyssey32 for calibration. If anybody is familiar with these speakers they can be aimed just about any direction and that is where I am unsure how/where to aim. The center line of tweeters can both rotate and swivel. Should the line of tweeters be parallel to the MLP or perpendicular to get the best sound from them? Should I rotate the cone and tweeters directly at the MLP? I have searched online without much luck on how best to use these speakers in an Atmos set up.

Link to the website for the speakers:

http://www.speakercraft.com/product/7-2-way-ceiling-speaker-w-aluminum-woofer-arc-tweeter-array-AIM273

Thank you for any tips or advice!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Hey everyone, anybody using the speakercraft aim series for there ceiling speakers? I have four of the Aim 273's (Aim 7 Three series 2) in my 5.1.4 set up and am looking for some advice on how best to aim these speakers. I have them physically in the ceiling as close as I could get them to the Dolby recommendations, but the rears are a little closer to the MLP. I have been running this setup for a few months now and am really enjoying it but I still feel I am missing out on the WOW factor of the ceiling speakers and I am wondering if it is due to how i have the speakers aimed. I have a denon 4400 and ran audyssey32 for calibration. If anybody is familiar with these speakers they can be aimed just about any direction and that is where I am unsure how/where to aim. The center line of tweeters can both rotate and swivel. Should the line of tweeters be parallel to the MLP or perpendicular to get the best sound from them? Should I rotate the cone and tweeters directly at the MLP? I have searched online without much luck on how best to use these speakers in an Atmos set up.

Link to the website for the speakers:

http://www.speakercraft.com/product/7-2-way-ceiling-speaker-w-aluminum-woofer-arc-tweeter-array-AIM273

Thank you for any tips or advice!
Well, you are the one looking for your "Wow"factor so the only person who can tell you what that is.... is you. Adjust them one way .... play a familiar test passage then adjust them the other ... trust your ears man! It's your room.... More than anything, I find that if you happen to be using Audyssey Dynamic EQ, and listen at moderate volumes.. then you need to adjust up your height speakers a few dbs....since Audyssey does not boost those speakers at lower volumes like it does for your main surround speakers and subs...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, you are the one looking for your "Wow"factor so the only person who can tell you what that is.... is you. Adjust them one way .... play a familiar test passage then adjust them the other ... trust your ears man! It's your room.... More than anything, I find that if you happen to be using Audyssey Dynamic EQ, and listen at moderate volumes.. then you need to adjust up your height speakers a few dbs....since Audyssey does not boost those speakers at lower volumes like it does for your main surround speakers and subs...
Funny you mention boosting the height speakers, I certainly needed to. I came to that conclusion on my own, Sounds much better.
I run the Denon X4400H

·
Registered
15,329 Posts
(That being said, I've never actually tried a stereo cable...it might work, but for $8 I'd just get the right one.)
A stereo mini plug cable, instead of mono, will work fine as a trigger signal cable if that's what one happens to have on hand.

It's the other direction that doesn't work: a mono cable can't be safely substituted for applications which specify you need a stereo cable.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Incidentally, I was thinking of buying the UHD version of The Prestige, but in typical Nolan fashion, it doesn't support an Atmos or DTS:X mix, so I haven't bothered. Seems he is against anything other than 5.1 even on remastered UHD discs.
The Prestige is one of my favourite movies but I just plain won't pay the extra for the UHD version without a sound upgrade as well. HST, the reviews say the PQ on the UHD disc is simply superb, as it apparently is on Batman Begins too. But these UHD discs are pretty expensive and I kinda feel cheated if they don't come with an immersive sound upgrade to accompany their superior image.

I just can't help myself sometimes. Ordered this today despite what I said last week....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I would put them slightly in front of MLP, in line with the Front Left and Front Right, or even inboard a little in a 20 ft wide room, depending on where your mains are located. Our hearing is not all that great with sounds coming from behind us, or from directly above us, so putting them slightly ahead of MLP helps with that. If they are aimable in any way, then aim them in the general direction of the listening area.

Bear in mind that Atmos content varies greatly in how much use they make of the overhead speakers. My advice would be to download the (free) Atmos trailers and use those as a guide to how well your speakers are doing.

150Hz is a rather high crossover and would suggest that the speakers are not all that capable (sorry, not trying to be snippy here). It may be worth considering something in the future that has a better overall FR.
I am not sure what I m getting those high crossover settings, even for my mains its giving me a 200z crossover, but the same speakers as surrounds are set at40 hz. I will ask about it in the denon owners forum. I have played a few atmos demo through the Xbox one x atmos app and the surrounds sounds great and I am sure the ceilings do too, but nothing where I have been able to say just the ceilings were active for a particular scene.

I may need to might have to up the (levels DB) a bit, would +3db a good start?

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
I am not sure what I m getting those high crossover settings, even for my mains its giving me a 200z crossover, but the same speakers as surrounds are set at40 hz. I will ask about it in the denon owners forum.
The FR will depend to some extent on the position of the speakers in the room, but those XOs seem to be way too high for comfort. Can your sub even play 200Hz well?

I have played a few atmos demo through the Xbox one x atmos app and the surrounds sounds great and I am sure the ceilings do too, but nothing where I have been able to say just the ceilings were active for a particular scene.
TBH the overhead speakers should rarely draw attention to themselves, any more than the other speakers should, but do try downloading the Atmos trailers and demos as you can be sure that they have been mixed properly for Atmos. It will be even rarer that just the overheads are playing on their own, with nothing coming from the ear level speakers. In fact, AFAICR I have never heard that. All the speakers in the system will blend together to create a cohesive three dimensional soundstage, if the system is properly set up.

I may need to might have to up the (levels DB) a bit, would +3db a good start?
Yes, that would be OK. Bear in mind that, strictly speaking, all the speakers should play exactly the same loudness though. If you bump up the level of any, then you run the risk of upsetting the 'balance' between them and this can affect the imaging. For example, a sound that is meant to 'hover' between the ear level speakers and the overheads will tend to be too close to the ceiling if the overhead speakers have been goosed. Similarly, if a sound is meant to image halfway between the FL speaker and the Left Side Surround speaker, it will be out of position if the side surrounds are playing too loudly. The mixer assumes all the speakers are calibrated to the same SPL. You can test the levels with a SPL meter and a test disc. If you don't have a SPL meter you can use a phone App, since absolute accuracy isn't all that important if all you are doing is testing relative levels.

Having said all that, remember it's your system, in your room, paid for with your money, so set it up to suit you. If you prefer the overheads raised by 3dB, then raise them by 3dB. Just be aware of what you are doing and any potential consequences, that's all.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
^^^^

One other observation wrt to the issue of the overheads not being very 'obvious'. Try upmixing a regular DTS-HD MA or TrueHD track with either Dolby Surround Upmixer or DTS Neural:X. On most movies, the upmixer will cause the overheads to make noise pretty much all the time, so the effect from above will be much more obvious than it is with most Atmos tracks (albeit not 'accurate' and, ultimately, much less satisfying). If you still can't hear the overheads making their contribution, then chances are something isn't right in the setup.

Lots of movies will give the overheads a good workout when using DSU or Neural:X, but if you have it, try the opening, pre-title sequence on the Blu-ray of Spectre. During the fight in the helicopter you will hear amazing overhead effects from the helicopter as it swooshes left and right, all around the room and over your head much of the time. A lot of people who have heard this in my HT comment on it and many say it is better than a true Atmos disc. Certainly, the upmixer does a fabulous job of extracting and steering the sounds.

·
Registered
448 Posts
TBH the overhead speakers should rarely draw attention to themselves, any more than the other speakers should, but do try downloading the Atmos trailers and demos as you can be sure that they have been mixed properly for Atmos. It will be even rarer that just the overheads are playing on their own, with nothing coming from the ear level speakers. In fact, AFAICR I have never heard that. All the speakers in the system will blend together to create a cohesive three dimensional soundstage, if the system is properly set up.

Yes, that would be OK. Bear in mind that, strictly speaking, all the speakers should play exactly the same loudness though. If you bump up the level of any, then you run the risk of upsetting the 'balance' between them and this can affect the imaging. For example, a sound that is meant to 'hover' between the ear level speakers and the overheads will tend to be too close to the ceiling if the overhead speakers have been goosed. Similarly, if a sound is meant to image halfway between the FL speaker and the Left Side Surround speaker, it will be out of position if the side surrounds are playing too loudly. The mixer assumes all the speakers are calibrated to the same SPL. You can test the levels with a SPL meter and a test disc. If you don't have a SPL meter you can use a phone App, since absolute accuracy isn't all that important if all you are doing is testing relative levels.

Having said all that, remember it's your system, in your room, paid for with your money, so set it up to suit you. If you prefer the overheads raised by 3dB, then raise them by 3dB. Just be aware of what you are doing and any potential consequences, that's all.

This has always been my understanding as well, that overhead levels are so important. People talk about overhead effects all the time feeling like that’s what atmos is, but do I understand correctly that objects are placed in the room in the same(but much simpler) way a 2ch system will create a phantom image of a singer in the center of the room? To oversimplify, I mean traditional panning techniques, except between bed and height speakers?

49281 - 49300 of 58936 Posts