AVS Forum banner

54321 - 54340 of 58973 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you cannot mount them on the ceiling in the overhead positions, then you should have installed them on the side walls for better separation from the front wall speakers. I've found that front and rear heights just make the sound stage seem taller, but without the sensation of the audio coming from above you since, well, it isn't.
Respectfully disagree. I just put in a reference disc and I figured it out. I’m off 2-3 degrees. And I know why. I have new seats coming. 2 of my 3 are already gone. The last one the reclining function doesn’t work. My rear overheads are 100%. It’s the fronts that are off. Your statement may be true for your room, but mine is 15X13. I’m damn glad I mounted mine on brackets to the ceiling now as they can be adjusted and dialed in. The angle is just off, that’s it. And that’s because I’m sitting upright instead of reclined. I just listened to a great Atmos soundtrack and there was some sound on the right channel, right front overhead, panning to the surround right, rear right, and rear overhead right and it was damn close.

Front and rear overheads are Dolby Atmos spec, but Dolby is particular on the angles. I get that now and understand. I’m close. I need my new seats stat!

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
In a perfect world, all speakers will match. However, in reality, 95% of the time you will never notice if the ceiling speakers aren't a perfect match because most overhead effects are ambient content and background effects. It's very rare that a critical sound pans overhead such that you would hear a timbre matching problem (an example of a situation you would notice is the opening scene of Gravity where the voices are floating around the room).

Also Klipsch ceiling speakers aren't exactly voice-matched to the standard horn loaded bookshelf/tower speakers. They are usually a more typical ceiling speaker design with a tweeter-on-a-pole in front of a woofer, so it's not like you're using a totally different type of speaker if you opt for the cheap Micca speakers that are popular.

And if you're running Audyssey it will mitigate some of the timbre matching issues.
so what you are saying it doesn't matter what you use for ceiling speakers? I am trying to save where I can and I don't really want to spend $300 a speaker for Klipsch if I don't have to. Would something like this work? https://www.klipsch.com/products/ric-65-in-ceiling-speaker

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
so what you are saying it doesn't matter what you use for ceiling speakers? I am trying to save where I can and I don't really want to spend $300 a speaker for Klipsch if I don't have to. Would something like this work? https://www.klipsch.com/products/ric-65-in-ceiling-speaker
Those will work fine. As Batpig stated, not like those Klipsch will be a match for your other speakers anyway. My main 5 are Klipsch, with 2x HSU subs. I just added 2 Atmos in ceiling speakers. I had a situation where there was a big duct in the ceiling in one of the locations so I needed the thinnest speakers possible and wound up with Polk only for that reason.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Thanks, now I just have to get approval from the boss or sell something else so I can get two pair so I can have 4 height speakers. I have 3 duct supplies for my upstairs to work around in my ceiling, but I think I can get good spacing for them to work.

Luckily the ceiling is unfinished, I just need to decide if I going to build backer boxes or not. I'm not doing a whole lot in soundproofing to save money and I don't listen at reference much. Rather spend my money on getting the theater and basement finished at some point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Top Front and Top Rear locations have a 25-degree placement range; Top Middle location has a 35-degree (!) placement range. Dolby is anything but "particular" about angles. Instead, they're quite flexible when it comes to speaker placement.
And just as important, our ears are anything but particular when it comes to locating sounds from overhead.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Safe to assume that add-on/upfiring Atmos speakers are a sin; especially so if you have high ceilings?
Don't have high ceilings but my Klipsch RP-140sa Dolby Atmos add-ons work pretty decent - not perfect but its easier than making more holes in apartment walls

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Safe to assume that add-on/upfiring Atmos speakers are a sin; especially so if you have high ceilings?
How high? 8-12 feet will be no problem unless the ceiling is sloped.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Atmos members,

Any of you using the below ATMOS speakers and if so your thoughts/comments.
I'm going to go with 6 of them when I do the Atmos thing.

Click on link below,

https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/subwoofwer/in-ceiling-rotating-silver-9-sat/

And the below 7-channel Amp.

Monolith by Monoprice 7x200 Watts Per Channel
Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier with XLR Inputs

Click on link below,
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14566

Terry

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a slightly unique question regarding an ATMOS setup, my left and right front speakers are self powered, if I got an expandable 9.2 AVR would I still need to get a 2 channel amp for the 2nd height channels? I’m assuming yes since the L/R just won’t use the power so it’s wasted.

So the most economical way to get a 7.1.4 setup would be a Denon 4400/4500 or similar AVR with a 2 channel amp like an Emotiva A-100?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a slightly unique question regarding an ATMOS setup, my left and right front speakers are self powered, if I got an expandable 9.2 AVR would I still need to get a 2 channel amp for the 2nd height channels? I’m assuming yes since the L/R just won’t use the power so it’s wasted.

So the most economical way to get a 7.1.4 setup would be a Denon 4400/4500 or similar AVR with a 2 channel amp like an Emotiva A-100?
Some AVRs will allow you to do 7.1.4 with only the front L/R speakers using an external amp. Since your front speakers have their own amps, you wouldn't need anything else. I don't know about the Denons, but the Yamaha RX-A3080 will do this:

Attachments

·
Registered
30,003 Posts

Why would you need another amp? The speakers have amps built in. The AVR doesn't care if the amp is sitting in the rack or built into the speakers, all it needs to know is that those channels will be externally amplified.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why would you need another amp? The speakers have amps built in. The AVR doesn't care if the amp is sitting in the rack or built into the speakers, all it needs to know is that those channels will be externally amplified.
Two reasons, first the 9.2 avr's like the Denon 4500 don't power the 2nd height channels. I know I could not amp the L/R mains from the AVR but I don't think that would then allow me to use what would have been for the L/R channels to now power the 2nd height channels. Second trying to get cables from my rack to the L/R would be a bit of a pain (just speaker wire going to those locations right now.).

Seems like just getting a $200 2ch amp is the easier solution.

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Two reasons, first the 9.2 avr's like the Denon 4500 don't power the 2nd height channels. I know I could not amp the L/R mains from the AVR but I don't think that would then allow me to use what would have been for the L/R channels to now power the 2nd height channels.
That is incorrect, you absolutely can set it such that it's expecting external amps for FR/FL channels and then repurpose the other 9 amps for the remaining speakers.

Second trying to get cables from my rack to the L/R would be a bit of a pain (just speaker wire going to those locations right now.)
So the powered speakers have high level (speaker wire) inputs?

Not much you can do about that if you want to use powered speakers but don't have a line level RCA feed. But that's not the AVR's fault for not having the functionality to do it the right way, it does.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Two reasons, first the 9.2 avr's like the Denon 4500 don't power the 2nd height channels. I know I could not amp the L/R mains from the AVR but I don't think that would then allow me to use what would have been for the L/R channels to now power the 2nd height channels. Second trying to get cables from my rack to the L/R would be a bit of a pain (just speaker wire going to those locations right now.).

Seems like just getting a $200 2ch amp is the easier solution.
I am trying to understand what you wrote. If you are powering the front L/R with built in amps that should leave you 2 channels to power all 4 height speakers and all 4 surrounds.

I have a Marantz SR6013 coming and plan on powering my front 3 with Marantz 700 Monoblocks at 200 watts each. Then I will use the receiver for everything else.

Does make sense or help? How are you fronts already powered from the speakers?

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Atmos members,

Any of you using the below ATMOS speakers and if so your thoughts/comments.
I'm going to go with 6 of them when I do the Atmos thing.

Click on link below,

https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/subwoofwer/in-ceiling-rotating-silver-9-sat/

Terry
I just calibrated a room two days with those Triad speakers. Frequency response was really good. I was very happy with the results, as was the client.

Reactions: tigerhonaker
54321 - 54340 of 58973 Posts