AVS Forum banner

58281 - 58300 of 58973 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I suspect all this crap we need to go through to get ATMOS to work can all be related to the red tape associated with the Dolby Licencing Fee. The restrictions aren't hardware related. Forcing us to get the UHD version just for the ATMOS tracks and the lack of support for all the streaming devices is most likely all legal crap. As far as I am concerned we payed for the licence when we bought our AVR's with ATMOS decoders. Rant over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
***Maybe mentioned before but Extraction on Netflix with Dolby Atmos via DD+ is an exceptional sound mix. Lots of over head pinging, gun fire and grenades going off. Also excellent spatial effects, side to side, front to back. Certainly worth watching if you'd like to hear how well your Atmos system is working.
I’ve watched it four times in one week during my time at home, just for this very reason. The sniper shot by the colonel in the bridge scene comes from the right rear overhead, right back surround, right front surround, right front to center.
I love it

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Yes you do need the UHD highest package from Netflix. The only FireTV that might support it is the latest 4K FireTV stick, don't think the cube does and know for sure the 2nd gen FireTV Box does't. The latest Sheild does but it stopped working for me just recently and I suspect Netflix may be cutting back on bandwidth. My Win10 PC app is still working for ATMOS. Netflix ATMOS support is still fairly limited to a few devices AppleTV, Xbox to name a few others. All the 4K capable FireTV's support ATMOS from Amazon but you need to play the UHD version and you may need to have a UHD capable display.
Actually I think it's the opposite. I KNOW my 4K FS does not support it natively, have to use Kodi on the FS to get NF Atmos, I was researching the cube and IIRC it does, but you loose some other functionality.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I suspect all this crap we need to go through to get ATMOS to work can all be related to the red tape associated with the Dolby Licencing Fee. The restrictions aren't hardware related. Forcing us to get the UHD version just for the ATMOS tracks and the lack of support for all the streaming devices is most likely all legal crap. As far as I am concerned we payed for the licence when we bought our AVR's with ATMOS decoders. Rant over.
If that were the case, do you really think the studios would pay the fee only for use on the format its consumers use the least? The number of viewers watching 4k UHD pales in comparison to the much larger base watching content in regular HD. If the fee were really the issue, why would the studios pay it at all? Either they'd want to get the most out of their expense and put Atmos on the format with the broadest usage, or they'd say "Screw Atmos" and not pay for it at all.

The truth is that Atmos is deliberately being restricted to 4k UHD as a marketing tool to drive consumers to upgrade to that format. It's a bullet point they can put on the sales sheet to make UHD look more appealing, nothing more.

Note that DTS:X is being used the same way. This isn't just a Dolby issue.

·
Registered
205 Posts
***Maybe mentioned before but Extraction on Netflix with Dolby Atmos via DD+ is an exceptional sound mix. Lots of over head pinging, gun fire and grenades going off. Also excellent spatial effects, side to side, front to back. Certainly worth watching if you'd like to hear how well your Atmos system is working.
I tried Extraction from Netflix through a Roku Ultra. I get Dolby Digital+ but not Atmos. In the audio options, it says the "default" audio track is the only track available. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I was told by Filmmixer some time ago that there is no licensing fee to the studios to encode in Atmos. If there's a fee, it's in the playback hardware. If a given device or streaming service requires 4K streams for Atmos, ask them why, as it's not a requirement from Dolby or else you wouldn't see Atmos (or DTS:X) on many regular 2K blurays nor would Atmos work on ATV with both 2K sets and with titles I have that are only 2K playback here (e.g. Due to regular BD Movies Anywhere redemption codes only giving the 2K version; if Atmos is available for that title typically on the 4K version, those titles still play in Atmos here with the 2K version).

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I tried Extraction from Netflix through a Roku Ultra. I get Dolby Digital+ but not Atmos. In the audio options, it says the "default" audio track is the only track available. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
I haven't tried Netflix on my Roku recently so things may have changed, but I don't think it had Atmos support in Netflix back in January. Only Disney+ gave me Atmos, but then I have a 2K projector. Netflix does work in Atmos for me on my Apple TV 4K on the same projector as does Disney+ and Apple hosted content. Vudu and Prime do not as their apps require the 4K streams even on Apple.

I'd love to sign a petition to get that changed, but I doubt there's enough of us for them to care and I don't feel like paying hundreds for an HDFury when I can get almost all the same titles from Apple with Atmos anyway (quite a few more really; Vudu's Atmos capable selections suck compared to Apple).

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
I haven't tried Netflix on my Roku recently so things may have changed, but I don't think it had Atmos support in Netflix back in January. Only Disney+ gave me Atmos, but then I have a 2K projector. Netflix does work in Atmos for me on my Apple TV 4K on the same projector as does Disney+ and Apple hosted content. Vudu and Prime do not as their apps require the 4K streams even on Apple.

I'd love to sign a petition to get that changed, but I doubt there's enough of us for them to care and I don't feel like paying hundreds for an HDFury when I can get almost all the same titles from Apple with Atmos anyway (quite a few more really; Vudu's Atmos capable selections suck compared to Apple).
***I gave up on my Roku Ultra as I couldn't get Dolby Atmos content. The only way I get Atmos now on my Sony TV is via the native app (Netflix) and DD+ via ARC. Down the road, I'll be looking at Samsung but they do not have Dolby Vision. There has been some conflicting information on getting Dolby Atmos from Netflix with a Samsung. As best I understand it - - Dolby Atmos accompanies the Dolby Vision Netflix offering (via ARC & DD+). Now, if you are going through an AVR that is Dolby Vision capable, can it split off the video (DV to HDR) and pass the Dolby Atmos soundtrack intact?

Also - are there any enlightened Samsung users that can help here? I can't imagine having any TV or projector without the ability to obtain a Dolby Atmos soundtrack from Netflix and other sources.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
If that were the case, do you really think the studios would pay the fee only for use on the format its consumers use the least? The number of viewers watching 4k UHD pales in comparison to the much larger base watching content in regular HD. If the fee were really the issue, why would the studios pay it at all? Either they'd want to get the most out of their expense and put Atmos on the format with the broadest usage, or they'd say "Screw Atmos" and not pay for it at all.

The truth is that Atmos is deliberately being restricted to 4k UHD as a marketing tool to drive consumers to upgrade to that format. It's a bullet point they can put on the sales sheet to make UHD look more appealing, nothing more.

Note that DTS:X is being used the same way. This isn't just a Dolby issue.
Regardless of where the bottleneck is my point is it has nothing to do with the hardware. It's all legal with licensing fees, marketing contracts and exclusive deals that the lawyers have made it as complicated as they can to get their piece of the pie.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Regardless of where the bottleneck is my point is it has nothing to do with the hardware. It's all legal with licensing fees, marketing contracts and exclusive deals that the lawyers have made it as complicated as they can to get their piece of the pie.
You are correct that there is no hardware restriction causing this. It's entirely possible to put an Atmos soundtrack on 1080p video.

However, saying it this way implies that Dolby is at fault for charging too high a fee or playing hardball with the contracts. My understanding is that that Dolby does not charge a licensing fee to put Atmos on a movie. The only fees are for the encoding hardware, and it's a very modest expense that amounts to pocket change for the studios. Dolby would love to have Atmos on everything. The decision to limit Atmos to 4k is made entirely by the studios and/or the streaming services for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I’m well versed with Atmos speaker placement but thought I would get some recommendations. I currently have a 7.2.2 configuration with front heights shown in my pic. I installed 2 Emotiva amps so now I’m looking at adding another pair of heights but I’m not sure where I should place them. I’m really leaning towards a top rear placement instead of rear heights. I was planning placing them right above my sofa in the pick so they are firing down on us - about 15 inches from the back wall. Or would they be better to place them 30 inches?

All feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
You are correct that there is no hardware restriction causing this. It's entirely possible to put an Atmos soundtrack on 1080p video.

However, saying it this way implies that Dolby is at fault for charging too high a fee or playing hardball with the contracts. My understanding is that that Dolby does not charge a licensing fee to put Atmos on a movie. The only fees are for the encoding hardware, and it's a very modest expense that amounts to pocket change for the studios. Dolby would love to have Atmos on everything. The decision to limit Atmos to 4k is made entirely by the studios and/or the streaming services for marketing purposes.
You'll notice I didn't mention Dolby in that statement they are all involved. If it was just limited to UHD why do many devices not support it even if they do support 4K. It's a lot more involved then just restricting it to UHD. The ATV supports more ATMOS then any other device and is also one of the most expensive streamers, is Apple paying more for the privilege?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m well versed with Atmos speaker placement but thought I would get some recommendations. I currently have a 7.2.2 configuration with front heights shown in my pic. I installed 2 Emotiva amps so now I’m looking at adding another pair of heights but I’m not sure where I should place them. I’m really leaning towards a top rear placement instead of rear heights. I was planning placing them right above my sofa in the pick so they are firing down on us - about 15 inches from the back wall. Or would they be better to place them 30 inches?

I would place two upfiring speakers on the bookshelf. You could experiment with where the speakers should be pointed. The two rear heights are the least important speaker, so the first priority is probably getting the sound separate from the rear surround channel.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

You should check in your Denon's setup guide as to which locations you can assign to help decide where to place the speakers. I am not sure if it will allow a Front Height designation along with a Top Rear designation. I would probably get another pair of those Klipsch height speakers and place them on the back wall where it meets the ceiling and designate them as rear height. You should see what is possible in the Denon and then experiment with some of the Atmos demos to see what sounds best.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would place two upfiring speakers on the bookshelf. You could experiment with where the speakers should be pointed. The two rear heights are the least important speaker, so the first priority is probably getting the sound separate from the rear surround channel.
Thanks . But I hate upfiring. I’ve never had good results. I actually had them mounted on my ceiling before in my dedicated room and they sound much better as front heights.

Reactions: ss nimrod

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
***I gave up on my Roku Ultra as I couldn't get Dolby Atmos content. The only way I get Atmos now on my Sony TV is via the native app (Netflix) and DD+ via ARC. Down the road, I'll be looking at Samsung but they do not have Dolby Vision. There has been some conflicting information on getting Dolby Atmos from Netflix with a Samsung. As best I understand it - - Dolby Atmos accompanies the Dolby Vision Netflix offering (via ARC & DD+). Now, if you are going through an AVR that is Dolby Vision capable, can it split off the video (DV to HDR) and pass the Dolby Atmos soundtrack intact?

Also - are there any enlightened Samsung users that can help here? I can't imagine having any TV or projector without the ability to obtain a Dolby Atmos soundtrack from Netflix and other sources.
Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision are not tied together from Netflix requiring you to have both capabilities. I use an Apple TV 4K that shows the Netflix titles as having Dolby Vision and Atmos when they apply but mine is plugged into a Pioneer Elite SC95 and then to a JVC x550r that are both incapable of displaying Dolby Vision. I get HDR10 from those titles and Dolby Atmos. In my case I believe the ATV is converting the Dolby Vision to HDR10 but I also know that Netflix does have HDR10 available to devices that cannot handle Dolby Vision. I first got Atmos from Netflix on my Xbox One S that was not Dolby Vision capable. I cannot speak to how the built in Netflix app in Samsung TV's behave but provided Netflix has enabled Atmos on that app it should work fine.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I never thought I can get Atmos in Netflix & Amazon ;)
Here is my set up:
Epson 2150 PJ->Yamaya AX-780 receiver->2 sony players hooked
120" screen
Yamaha receiver->Amazon Fire Cube latest version
Of course I have 2 ceiling speakers mounted attached to Ht channel in my receiver and i have been enjoying Atmos from my regular Bluray discs like John wick, etc.
Now, how do i get Atmos from Netflix and amazon?
any sample movies/series you can recommend? any special config i need to do?
Yes you do need the UHD highest package from Netflix. The only FireTV that might support it is the latest 4K FireTV stick, don't think the cube does and know for sure the 2nd gen FireTV Box does't. The latest Sheild does but it stopped working for me just recently and I suspect Netflix may be cutting back on bandwidth. My Win10 PC app is still working for ATMOS. Netflix ATMOS support is still fairly limited to a few devices AppleTV, Xbox to name a few others. All the 4K capable FireTV's support ATMOS from Amazon but you need to play the UHD version and you may need to have a UHD capable display.

Actually I think it's the opposite. I KNOW my 4K FS does not support it natively, have to use Kodi on the FS to get NF Atmos, I was researching the cube and IIRC it does, but you loose some other functionality.

Here's the current list of devices that Netflix supports for Atmos on each device's native Netflix app:
  • Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
  • LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
  • Nvidia Shield (2019 models only, even though all other models support Atmos in other apps)
  • Panasonic TVs (2019 or newer models)
  • Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
  • Sony Bravia Android TVs (2018 or newer models)
  • Toshiba TVs (2019 or newer models)
  • Vizio TVs (2018 or newer models)
  • Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
  • Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
I didn't list the one Amazon device (I believe it's the latest cube?), because Netflix doesn't currently have it listed, but some have reported it working.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
You'll notice I didn't mention Dolby in that statement they are all involved. If it was just limited to UHD why do many devices not support it even if they do support 4K. It's a lot more involved then just restricting it to UHD. The ATV supports more ATMOS then any other device and is also one of the most expensive streamers, is Apple paying more for the privilege?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Apple's HD streaming is downconverted from the 4k file when available. So if the 4k file had Atmos, they'll output that at any resolution you set the video for. Whereas other streaming services have separate 4k and HD files, which may come with their own soundtrack options.

Amazon is notorious for creating entirely separate listings for a movie or show in HD vs 4k, and then burying the 4k option deep in the menu system. Vudu at least only creates one listing for a movie, with SD, HD, and 4k options to watch within that listing. Netflix will automatically default playback to the highest resolution your streaming device and display support. But with Amazon, you often have to go out of the way to search specifically for the 4k listing.

·
Registered
448 Posts

I’d probably do something like this, right up against the wall and configure as top rear. Not sure this answers any other questions but iirc, the height layer can in fact be configured any way you want, as long as there is one location in between. IE: you can do Front height and top middle, but not front height and top front, or top front and top middle etc...
I’d maybe scoot the couch forward a bit too as that’s gonna be a LOT going on behind/around/above the MLP. In fact, if it were mine, I would seriously consider losing the rear surrounds as IME, unless you can have 5’ or 6’ behind you, they can be more of a distraction than an immersion. Less is more...
Can shoot a wider shot of the back?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I’d probably do something like this, right up against the wall and configure as top rear. Not sure this answers any other questions but iirc, the height layer can in fact be configured any way you want, as long as there is one location in between. IE: you can do Front height and top middle, but not front height and top front, or top front and top middle etc...
I’d maybe scoot the couch forward a bit too as that’s gonna be a LOT going on behind/around/above the MLP. In fact, if it were mine, I would seriously consider losing the rear surrounds as IME, unless you can have 5’ or 6’ behind you, they can be more of a distraction than an immersion. Less is more...
Can shoot a wider shot of the back?

That’s pretty much where I was thinking but just a bit out, 15 inches from the back.

Attachments

58281 - 58300 of 58973 Posts