AVS Forum banner

58301 - 58320 of 58974 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I’m well versed with Atmos speaker placement but thought I would get some recommendations. I currently have a 7.2.2 configuration with front heights shown in my pic. I installed 2 Emotiva amps so now I’m looking at adding another pair of heights but I’m not sure where I should place them. I’m really leaning towards a top rear placement instead of rear heights. I was planning placing them right above my sofa in the pick so they are firing down on us - about 15 inches from the back wall. Or would they be better to place them 30 inches?

All feedback is appreciated.
Based on my own room, I think you'd appreciate "some" overhead sound coming from behind you, even if it's not far. I'd probably go with the rear heights in your room. Otherwise, the helicopter (for example) will only travel to right overhead and not behind you. I see a shelf of some kind, but it doesn't look like it'd interfere with the same style speakers in the back. Your room doesn't look too big to do heights on both ends, IMO.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Based on the surface mount wiring you already have I'm guessing you aren't interested in in ceiling speakers? That's an option and Klipsch offers some that would work. If you did 4 in-ceiling it *might* sharpen the effect. Without a high ceiling it might sharpen it more than you like. In-ceiling in an open floor plan can help with aesthetics for some people. Some of like the rock concert look of speakers hanging everywhere.

I'm not surprised you get mixed results with upfiring in that room seeing you have a texture or acoustic spray on the ceiling. Do you think that had an impact in your space and why you didn't like them?

·
Registered
448 Posts
That’s pretty much where I was thinking but just a bit out, 15 inches from the back.

Just curious, why you were thinking of moving it forward into the room. IMO you’d get much better results getting those rear tops/heights as far back as you can. That’s why I was suggesting to move the couch forward. And to get away from those rear surrounds...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Based on my own room, I think you'd appreciate "some" overhead sound coming from behind you, even if it's not far. I'd probably go with the rear heights in your room. Otherwise, the helicopter (for example) will only travel to right overhead and not behind you. I see a shelf of some kind, but it doesn't look like it'd interfere with the same style speakers in the back. Your room doesn't look too big to do heights on both ends, IMO.
Yeah I’m worried about the shelf. It’s not my house, it’s my girlfriend’s. She’s been amazing with me taking over the living room, don’t want to remove her photos lol.

It definitely could work there but I’m leaning towards firing down on the sofa.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just curious, why you were thinking of moving it forward into the room. IMO you’d get much better results getting those rear tops/heights as far back as you can. That’s why I was suggesting to move the couch forward. And to get away from those rear surrounds...
I had it moved away from the wall but the fireplace is there. It looked bad.

I was concerned about the rear channels when I moved in. My old dedicated room they were about 4ft away. To my surprise they sound better closer in this room. The surrounds and surround backs are seamless in this room. It’s actually kind of eerie, I love the effect.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Based on the surface mount wiring you already have I'm guessing you aren't interested in in ceiling speakers? That's an option and Klipsch offers some that would work. If you did 4 in-ceiling it *might* sharpen the effect. Without a high ceiling it might sharpen it more than you like. In-ceiling in an open floor plan can help with aesthetics for some people. Some of like the rock concert look of speakers hanging everywhere.

I'm not surprised you get mixed results with upfiring in that room seeing you have a texture or acoustic spray on the ceiling. Do you think that had an impact in your space and why you didn't like them?
I initially had the modules upfiring in my old room, could barely hear them. I mounted them on my ceiling and they were too distracting. I had them back as upfiring when I moved in but again, they were useless.

We are selling this house next year so I don’t want to drill holes. I thought the front height configuration would be a compromise but they really sound amazing.

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
Honestly, I would do 5.1.4 in that space. It appears that the 4 surrounds are all kind of crammed together with minimal separation between "side" and "rear".

For overheads definitely go behind you, not directly above. The area above and behind you is probably the the zone where your ears/brain are the worst at assessing precise directionality... as long as you can clearly hear there is "stuff" above and behind you, it will have the intended effect. Especially important because your FH speakers aren't really at a significant elevation angle, you're really missing the above+behind zone of the Atmos bubble.

So I would mount satellites at the top of the rear wall / rear of the ceiling angled down and in.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to upgrade my subs last night - upgrading my PB-1000’s to dual PC2000 Pro’s.

My girl bought the modules for a birthday present, I’ll have them next month. So I have some time to decide. I think I’ll mount them on the rear wall.

Reactions: ss nimrod

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I was told by Filmmixer some time ago that there is no licensing fee to the studios to encode in Atmos. If there's a fee, it's in the playback hardware. If a given device or streaming service requires 4K streams for Atmos, ask them why, as it's not a requirement from Dolby or else you wouldn't see Atmos (or DTS:X) on many regular 2K blurays nor would Atmos work on ATV with both 2K sets and with titles I have that are only 2K playback here (e.g. Due to regular BD Movies Anywhere redemption codes only giving the 2K version; if Atmos is available for that title typically on the 4K version, those titles still play in Atmos here with the 2K version).
Although some physical 4K disks that contain a 1080p version have that 1080p version not contain Atmos, others do, so there is no technical restriction.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Although some physical 4K disks that contain a 1080p version have that 1080p version not contain Atmos, others do, so there is no technical restriction.

Some studios and streaming services consider immersive audio a premium feature along with 4k with their product (to make you pay more for the pleasure), so those companies bundle them together. It's the same idea with disc distribution.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think there is one technical limitation with optical media - max read bitrate.
On regular BD it is 60Mbps, on UHD BD (aka BD-XL) it is 100Mbps.
So I found that muxing Gravity 3D with TrueHD Atmos soundtrack exceeded BD bitrate and did not work. So I had to burn it onto BD-XL then read speed was sufficient to put both audio and video through.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I think there is one technical limitation with optical media - max read bitrate.
So I found that muxing Gravity 3D with TrueHD Atmos soundtrack exceeded BD bitrate and did not work. So I had to burn it onto BD-XL then read speed was sufficient to put both audio and video through.
Does the 3D version require more video bandwidth?

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
hi, I have large collection of 3D + ATMOS remuxes that i've burned on standard Verbatim BD-R 50 GB disks and they play perfect on my Oppo 203 and Panasonic UB820.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I just remux to MKV for 3D + Atmos (or X or Auro-3D; in fact I have some files with both Auro and Atmos soundtracks on them) and play them back directly from a Zidoo X9S off two hard drives. That means between it and Kodi I never have to load an actual disc ever again (well save Red Tails as its Auro-3D soundtrack is in PCM instead of wrapped in DTS-HD and Kodi won't play back PCM perfectly for some reason. It's literally the only disc I have to play directly.)

No hunting for discs or carrying them around the house. Click and play. They can be 100% quality or you can recompress the video to save space (non-3D).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes. Now you need to push 2 full-HD images (L and R eye) through, in same amount of time (1/24 sec). Thanks to some clever encoding (MVC) it does not take exactly double the bandwidth, but approx +75%. See the attached screenshot - number in parentheses is the bitrate of the other eye's image.
Looking at that Gravity, it seems that they still try to keep total bitrate within 40Mbps, occasionally peaking at 50.
hi, I have large collection of 3D + ATMOS remuxes that i've burned on standard Verbatim BD-R 50 GB disks and they play perfect on my Oppo 203 and Panasonic UB820.
I tried to re-create this stutter on my current UBP-X1100ES but during the first 15 minutes I could spend, couldn't. May have been a player-related issue (had the UBP-X700 then), otherwise I would not have taken the trouble to source a BD-XL writable disc. But that same player had no issues playing it back from the BD-XL media. I may have to take another full watch of it.
That captured frame is already pretty close to the limit 29,7 + 22,2 + 5,9 = 57,8 and it does not account for the bitrate of subtitle track (which may be negligible). As I understand it, the drive still reads the whole Transport Stream from the disc media, so total bandwidth of all encapsulated streams is what matters, not just what is currently being rendered.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know of an audio extractor/passthrough that can downmix Dolby Atmos to 5.1ch or 7.1ch. audio?

Can a 7.1ch DD+ decoder do it?

Even something that could just decode the base channels would be ok in my application, it's only used for visualization.

I've seen this one:
https://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HAECOAX3

The language is a bit ambiguous for me to figure out if it can do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Does anyone know of an audio extractor/passthrough that can downmix Dolby Atmos to 5.1ch or 7.1ch. audio?

Even something that could just decode the base channels would be ok in my application, it's only used for visualization.

I've seen this one:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Why would you need to do this? Atmos auto-downmixes to whatever your speaker system is.

Reactions: galonzo and Josh Z

·
Registered
26,537 Posts

I've seen this one:

It might help if you could explain what you're trying to do. Any A/V receiver can play back an Atmos track in 5.1 or 7.1 configurations by ignoring the Atmos metadata.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay, here is my proposed room build:

https://i.imgur.com/X6PteZA.png

MLP = 13 feet from screen

L and R fronts = 11 feet from each other and 14 feet from MLP

Does this all look right? So, going off of that, should I also have the Atmos speakers be 11 feet apart from each other? That close to the side wall? If I do, the angles won't be right because of less than ideal ceiling height (~ 7 feet).

The other option is to bring them in even closer to the center of the room for closer to "ideal" angle, but we're talking either 9 feet of separation or only 6 feet separation from each other (3 feet from side walls or 4.5 feet from the side walls). What would you do?

·
Registered
28,997 Posts
Okay, here is my proposed room build:

https://i.imgur.com/X6PteZA.png

What would you do?
I would move the rear pair of heights farther back (same distance away from the main listening position as the front pair of heights). I would also move the Side speakers a couple feet forward of the listeners AND add a pair of Rear speakers on the back wall for a 7.1.4 set-up. This will give you side-vs-rear separation in the surround field that you cannot get with a single pair of Surrounds.

58301 - 58320 of 58974 Posts