AVS Forum banner

58521 - 58540 of 58953 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Question about Atmos surround speaker height.

Why does Dolby list average floor to ear height of 45" ? I looked at the seats I have ordered, which are fairly typical theater seats (Seatcraft Equinox), and they list floor to cushion = 21.5". The average bum to eye/ear height in males is 31.5" (googled anthroprometric data). So this puts your ears 53" off the floor (not 45").

Since Atmos surrounds should be equal to ear height (Trinnov actually recommends 12" above ear height), my required speaker height seems to be considerably higher than the usual recommendations.

Dunno. I've got what I'd call just a "typical" couch, and I'm an average guy (5'9", pretty average?) - and my seated ear is pretty dang close to 45" off the floor. Maybe I'm deformed. :eek:

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Xbox X has been known to fudge with video signals such as screwing up HDR and has had other compatibility issues with certain discs. Given that no current 4k player is perfect, it's been a more unstable disc platform than others.

Seems like it sends everything out as “Atmos” iirc even if it’s not, and as such you can’t use any upmixers. Or has that been addressed somewhere, and I’m sniffing old news print?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The Xbox X has been known to fudge with video signals such as screwing up HDR and has had other compatibility issues with certain discs. Given that no current 4k player is perfect, it's been a more unstable disc platform than others.

Seems like it sends everything out as “Atmos” iirc even if it’️s not, and as such you can’️t use any upmixers. Or has that been addressed somewhere, and I’️m sniffing old news print?
Fixed

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Seems like it sends everything out as “Atmos” iirc even if it’s not, and as such you can’t use any upmixers. Or has that been addressed somewhere, and I’m sniffing old news print?

The last I read, it looks like the Xbox rewraps everything Dolby at least into Atmos even if it actually isn't. Unless MS fixed this, it would be super annoying.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yes. This would give me fits.

The Xbox bitstreams the audio from the Blu-ray player correctly just fine. It is all the other audio that always gets wrapped in an Atmos container. You can’t upmix Netflix audio but you can upmix your Blu-ray movies fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Xbox bitstreams the audio from the Blu-ray player correctly just fine. It is all the other audio that always gets wrapped in an Atmos container. You can’t upmix Netflix audio but you can upmix your Blu-ray movies fine.

Ok. I was under the impression it sent everything wrapped in Atmos.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yes. This would give me fits.

The Xbox bitstreams the audio from the Blu-ray player correctly just fine. It is all the other audio that always gets wrapped in an Atmos container. You can’️t upmix Netflix audio but you can upmix your Blu-ray movies fine.

Suits me just find as I only use the Xbox for blu Ray atmos and games do it is correct if atmos or non atmos and use Apple TV for other streaming atmos and non atmos. I suspect most people don’t use their blu Ray for Netflix or amazon

·
Registered
448 Posts
Suits me just find as I only use the Xbox for blu Ray atmos and games do it is correct if atmos or non atmos and use Apple TV for other streaming atmos and non atmos. I suspect most people don’t use their blu Ray for Netflix or amazon

I actually do use my X700 for Netflix, and sometimes the PS3. Our Xbox is in a different media area and I haven’t messed with it, although I’m dying to try modern warfare in Atmos in our theater. The box is just in a 5.1 room. I can see how the Xbox would be just fine. I just was under the impression it went everything as “Atmos” so that could be an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
*Update - I just picked up a 2019 Shield. I am able to get Atmos to light up on the NAD while playing Some Amazon Prime content.
That said, I CANNOT get Atmos to light up on any content from Netflix .e.g. The Dirt, House Arrest, Luke cage. (NAD displays Dolby Digital Plus but no Atmos).
Disney+ same thing. NO ATMOS but probably for reasons stated above regarding COVID.
[UPDATE] turns out it's the NOHASSLEAV matrix switch from Amazon that wont make the HDMI handshake with the NAD M17v2. Hooking up the 2019 NVidia Shield PRO directly to the NAD solved the ATMOS issue (Atmos via Netflix, Disney + works fine). Put the Matrix switch back in the mix and found that switching the inputs back and forth on the NAD solves the problem but it's essentially a bandaid fix.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Question about Atmos surround speaker height.

Why does Dolby list average floor to ear height of 45" ? I looked at the seats I have ordered, which are fairly typical theater seats (Seatcraft Equinox), and they list floor to cushion = 21.5". The average bum to eye/ear height in males is 31.5" (googled anthroprometric data). So this puts your ears 53" off the floor (not 45").

Since Atmos surrounds should be equal to ear height (Trinnov actually recommends 12" above ear height), my required speaker height seems to be considerably higher than the usual recommendations.
yes, but do these seats recline? where are your ears when this seat is in reclined position?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
*Update - I just picked up a 2019 Shield. I am able to get Atmos to light up on the NAD while playing Some Amazon Prime content.
That said, I CANNOT get Atmos to light up on any content from Netflix .e.g. The Dirt, House Arrest, Luke cage. (NAD displays Dolby Digital Plus but no Atmos).
Disney+ same thing. NO ATMOS but probably for reasons stated above regarding COVID.
[UPDATE] turns out it's the NOHASSLEAV matrix switch from Amazon that wont make the HDMI handshake with the NAD M17v2. Hooking up the 2019 NVidia Shield PRO directly to the NAD solved the ATMOS issue (Atmos via Netflix, Disney + works fine). Put the Matrix switch back in the mix and found that switching the inputs back and forth on the NAD solves the problem but it's essentially a bandaid fix.
For some reason when I watch Disney plus programs with atmos or anything on Netflix that Has atmos through my Apple TV 4K it only shows “PCM Surround” on the Reciever (NAD 758) instead of Dolby Atmos like it does when I play Dolby atmos movies or games on my XBOX X-is this normal and same for wveryone else?

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #58,533
For some reason when I watch Disney plus programs with atmos or anything on Netflix that Has atmos through my Apple TV 4K it only shows “PCM Surround” on the Reciever (NAD 758) instead of Dolby Atmos like it does when I play Dolby atmos movies or games on my XBOX X-is this normal and same for wveryone else?
Why do you waste people's time by asking the same question over and over again in different threads without ever following through? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2895049-nad-758-v3-393.html#post59661952

Reactions: dfa973

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Why do you waste people's time by asking the same question over and over again in different threads without ever following through? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2895049-nad-758-v3-393.html#post59661952
Sorry, I just wanted clarification if the PCM was truly atmos from other people’s experience to see if it is just a NAD quirk. That’s why.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #58,535 (Edited)
Sorry, I just wanted clarification if the PCM was truly atmos from other people’s experience to see if it is just a NAD quirk. That’s why.
And when can you bring yourself to answer the questions in the linked thread so this issue has a chance of getting resolved?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Anyone know if Directv outputs Atmos? I have the Genie server plus the 4K mini and have setup the menu to pass Atmos but not getting it. Passes PCM only per my Denon receiver. I should add, I’m splitting the content via HDMI after the mini with one HDMI cable to the receiver and another cable to the TV.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Anyone know if Directv outputs Atmos? I have the Genie server plus the 4K mini and have setup the menu to pass Atmos but not getting it. Passes PCM only per my Denon receiver. I should add, I’m splitting the content via HDMI after the mini with one HDMI cable to the receiver and another cable to the TV.
You probably answered your own question.... splitting the HDMI audio output will most likely limit it to the capabilities of the lowest available option... thus if your TV can not process Dolby audio, it will force your Directv to output in PCM... Why are you splitting? I take it your receiver has Atmos decoding capability but is not 4K compliant?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My Denon 4500 receiver and splitter are both 4K capable. But my Panasonic ZT tv isn’t. I tried it with HDMI and optical and neither one would pass Atmos. But maybe the problem is the content.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my AppleTV 4K. No matter what I played, the AVR (Yamaha 3050) NEVER showed it as Atmos. It was hard to determine what was the cause.

In the end I found it was a 'quirk' of the AppleTV. Although it was correctly set to use Atmos when available, it was NOT doing that. I had to first set it to use HDR, which made the picture worse as my TV is not HDR, but the AVR did then show it was receiving Atmos. I then turned HDR OFF in the AppleTV, so back to normal picture, however it continued to correctly output Atmos when appropriate.

I have no idea why the AppleTV behaved like this, seems like a bug to me and I've no idea if Chirosamsung is suffering from the same problem. BUT, I can say that I had the 'no Atmos' problem on all 4 AppleTVs here and I was able to fix it 100% by following the above procedure on each of my AppleTVs, so they all now reliably output Atmos when they should, whereas previously, they never did.

Try it. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The last I read, it looks like the Xbox rewraps everything Dolby at least into Atmos even if it actually isn't. Unless MS fixed this, it would be super annoying.

I read somewhere, that they resolved that in some beta. However, that is still the behavior I am getting for all streamed media. What has changed is that the Xbox now appears to do some sort of upmixing on its own, so all channels are actually being used even for non Atmos content. Previously the unused channels remained silent and the Atmos encoding prevented upmixing on the processor. Still not perfect as one can’t influence what is actually happening, but ok for most practical purposes IMHO.

58521 - 58540 of 58953 Posts