AVS Forum banner

58541 - 58560 of 58959 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Sorry, I just wanted clarification if the PCM was truly atmos from other people’️s experience to see if it is just a NAD quirk. That’️s why.
And when can you bring yourself to answer the questions in the linked thread so this issue has a chance of getting resolved?
Yes

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
"Yes" what?
Indeed. :rolleyes:. I feel your pain!

Q: "When will you answer the question you keep refusing to answer?"
A: "Yes".

You couldn't make it up!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
For some reason when I watch Disney plus programs with atmos or anything on Netflix that Has atmos through my Apple TV 4K it only shows “PCM Surround” on the Reciever (NAD 758) instead of Dolby Atmos like it does when I play Dolby atmos movies or games on my XBOX X-is this normal and same for wveryone else?
I had the exact same problem with my AppleTV 4K. No matter what I played, the AVR (Yamaha 3050) NEVER showed it as Atmos. It was hard to determine what was the cause.

In the end I found it was a 'quirk' of the AppleTV. Although it was correctly set to use Atmos when available, it was NOT doing that. I had to first set it to use HDR, which made the picture worse as my TV is not HDR, but the AVR did then show it was receiving Atmos. I then turned HDR OFF in the AppleTV, so back to normal picture, however it continued to correctly output Atmos when appropriate.

I have no idea why the AppleTV behaved like this, seems like a bug to me and I've no idea if Chirosamsung is suffering from the same problem. BUT, I can say that I had the 'no Atmos' problem on all 4 AppleTVs here and I was able to fix it 100% by following the above procedure on each of my AppleTVs, so they all now reliably output Atmos when they should, whereas previously, they never did.

Try it. Hope it helps.
Hi-I tried moving the Apple TV video from HDR and then back to SDR and HDR again but that didn’t change my NAD receiver to show Dolby atmos-it still shows PCM surround on Dolby atmos content...

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #58,545
Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Yes is answering your question. The question that I answered from you was will you post on the NAD thread once I figure out a solution to the problem of not having my Apple TV 4K display “ATMOS” on the receiver instead of “PCM SURROUND”

That’s what you asked and that’s what I replied yes to

I PMed you to explain-now I will do so to the other poster as well-that if I can get the answer to the question from the broader sample of people in the Dolby atmos thread that perhaps have an Apple TV that doesn’t display atmos on their receiver either, I can then see if it is unique to the NAD 758 or if this is a Apple TV 4K and all receiver displaying atmos question. Hence me posting this also in the Dolby Atmos Thread

Does this make sense or does it seem like “you can’t make this stuff up” still?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
And that's the reason why I could hear sound from the top a lot and why it really gave me an impression that it was more immersive than Atmos.
Unfortunately for me it makes DTS:X more "annoying" than immersive.
Being able to hear the tops all time doesn't make it more natural sounding, particularly when dialogue and other sounds get routed there or to the surrounds when they're supposed to be up front.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #58,548 (Edited)
Yes is answering your question. The question that I answered from you was will you post on the NAD thread once I figure out a solution to the problem of not having my Apple TV 4K display “ATMOS” on the receiver instead of “PCM SURROUND”

That’s what you asked and that’s what I replied yes to

I PMed you to explain-now I will do so to the other poster as well-that if I can get the answer to the question from the broader sample of people in the Dolby atmos thread that perhaps have an Apple TV that doesn’t display atmos on their receiver either, I can then see if it is unique to the NAD 758 or if this is a Apple TV 4K and all receiver displaying atmos question. Hence me posting this also in the Dolby Atmos Thread

Does this make sense or does it seem like “you can’t make this stuff up” still?
Looks like you have a very hard time understanding what was said. Is there some kind of language barrier?

I've asked you to post your current settings. Screenshots would suffice. This would be a first step in methodically finding a solution for your issue.
I did NOT ask you to post AFTER you've resolved the issue as my ATV4K and 758 is working just fine and I do get Atmos. So the problem is likely YOU and nothing else.

So can you please send those 2 screenshots so we all can move on to something more productive and less time consuming?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
***Jesus, tough crowd today. Holier than thou, piling on - - so what if the person has asked the question twice or didn't fully research the answer? Maybe other folks will benefit from the information again - - and not a link. In the time you took to beat down that person, you could have posted the answer already.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Unfortunately for me it makes DTS:X more "annoying" than immersive.
Being able to hear the tops all time doesn't make it more natural sounding, particularly when dialogue and other sounds get routed there or to the surrounds when they're supposed to be up front.
Much of the discussion of Atmos and how it's utilized reminds me of the old days when surround sound started to take hold in home theatre. A good number of adopters took the attitude that if they had paid for surround, they should be hearing it all the time - ignoring the intents of the original sound mixers. Some of them would adjust their levels so the surrounds played much higher than they were supposed to be in order to get a more constant surround presence.

This is of course quite different than discussions of films whose Atmos mixes are just plain underwhelming, even at correct levels.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #58,551 (Edited)
***Jesus, tough crowd today. Holier than thou, piling on - - so what if the person has asked the question twice or didn't fully research the answer? Maybe other folks will benefit from the information again - - and not a link. In the time you took to beat down that person, you could have posted the answer already.
Are you referring to my post? If yes, how absurd! Chirosamsung asked for help in the NAD 758 thread. I've asked him to provide additional information in order to help him troubleshoot the issue which more likely than not is simply user error. Instead of following up he posted the same question here. When asked when he ever will provide the information necessary for troubleshooting he answered "yes".

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

That’️s what you asked and that’️s what I replied yes to

I PMed you to explain-now I will do so to the other poster as well-that if I can get the answer to the question from the broader sample of people in the Dolby atmos thread that perhaps have an Apple TV that doesn’️t display atmos on their receiver either, I can then see if it is unique to the NAD 758 or if this is a Apple TV 4K and all receiver displaying atmos question. Hence me posting this also in the Dolby Atmos Thread

Does this make sense or does it seem like “you can’️t make this stuff up” still?
Looks like you have a very hard time understanding what was said. Is there some kind of language barrier?

I've asked you to post your current settings. Screenshots would suffice. This would be a first step in methodically finding a solution for your issue.
I did NOT ask you to post AFTER you've resolved the issue as my ATV4K and 758 is working just fine and I do get Atmos. So the problem is likely YOU and nothing else.

So can you please send those 2 screenshots so we all can move on to something more productive and less time consuming?
No language barrier. I reside in Canada. Can you remind me of the screen shots needed and I’ll take them shortly-I May have missed that part in the various back and forths

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #58,553 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
619 Posts
I’m just starting to research this now that it seems my Onkyo PR-SC5508 had another HDMI board failure and I have a Marantz AV7705 arriving Thursday.

I will scan the thread and try some search terms but can’t see reading all 1952 pages.

If anyone wants to make quick recommendations for my initial setup while I’m getting up to speed, I would appreciate it.

I currently have FL, center (with bass bin), FR, RS, RR, LR, LS, 18” Subwoofer, 2 ea. 15” subwoofers calibrated as one sub. Speakers include an Infinity Compositions Prelude FL/C/FR and surrounds and two Infinity Cascade Model Three V's. I have 3 additional Infinity Cascade Model Three V’s available if they would work. I have a better set of 5 speakers in another room I can move to replace the Preludes but I want to try these first. I use the other room for my music listening.

My room is a sealed dedicated Theater in my Basement. Approximately 12’ 6” Wide, 18’ Long and a 7’ 10’ high ceiling. Main Listening position has my eyes just over 9 feet away from the screen.

Edit: I just set up my AV7705 and noticed I can configure a single speaker for Surround Back. I'm not opposed to new speakers but configuring a single rear back would give me 4 ea, Infinity Cascade Model Three V’s I could use for Heights. I'll need to find 3 amp channels somewhere. They do have wall mount brackets.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ctCym4Rpchw/p_108CASM3VS/Infinity-Cascade-Model-Three-V-Silver-gloss.html

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts

Thumbs up. This site has a lot of poison. Well really the internet, but at 57 I'm just a dinasuer

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry, I just wanted clarification if the PCM was truly atmos from other people’s experience to see if it is just a NAD quirk. That’s why.

I don't have the receiver you have, but the MAT decoding that ATV4k uses outputs PCM and an ATMOS capable receiver should decode it properly. Will the NAD tell you that's what it's doing? Found the following in another forum, it should apply to the ATV4k as well:

Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT

The Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) encoder resides in a Blu-ray player to pack the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI connections. A MAT decoder is subsequently employed in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos content as lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.

A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object-based audio can be live encoded and transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among the possible sources are broadcast set-top boxes, PCs, and game consoles. The Dolby MAT 2.0 decoder in an AVR outputs the object-based audio and its metadata for further processing. The Dolby MAT 2.0 container is scalable and leverages the full potential of the HDMI audio pipeline.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Thumbs up. This site has a lot of poison. Well really the internet, but at 57 I'm just a dinasuer

I didn't realize they had lawyers in prehistoric times!:D

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
My room is a sealed dedicated Theater in my Basement. Approximately 12’ 6” Wide, 18’ Long and a 7’ 10’ high ceiling. Main Listening position has my eyes just over 9 feet away from the screen.
I approve of your choice of room colors. :D

Attachments

Reactions: GeorgeHolland
58541 - 58560 of 58959 Posts