AVS Forum banner

58941 - 58960 of 59259 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you get this fixed or are you still outputting 5.1 from ATV4K?

Same issue with Vertex 2, Sony A9G and pioneer elite sc 07 receiver. No audio if I select Atmos in ATV; have to force DD.
No - I just decided to change the audio on the ATV to ignore Atmos and just use 5.1
I started doing some testing with the Vertex, but ran out of time before making any real progress.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I have to say Neural X did a heck of a job with Striking Distance (1993 with Bruce Willis) given it only has a 2-channel soundtrack. Not only were surround effects easily discerned in stereo, but when the scene during the Policeman's Ball by the river in Pittsburgh had fireworks, they were strong and loud almost directly overhead about 40% out into the room. That was pretty impressive from a 2-channel source, IMO. Underwater scenes weren't quite as all surrounding as modern Atmos movie like The Meg or even ones derived from 5.1 or 7.1, but compared to the old days of Pro Logic or even PLIIx, it's definitely an improvement.

Frankly, I'm constantly amazed how good 5.1/7.1 soundtracks upmix with Neural X as many sound better than some (too many, IMO) of the actual Dolby Atmos or DTS:X movies that seem to do very little with what's available compared to what could be done. OTOH, some movies like the Harry Potter UHD DTS:X ones offer enhanced effects that aren't even present in the original 5.1 soundtrack (or rather probably aren't emphasized at volumes to be discerned) like some of the flying car effects in The Chamber of Secrets (upmixing with Neural X puts the car overhead when appropriate, but the DTS:X soundtrack adds more panning car effect sounds that weren't even present in the 5.1 version at all. (i.e. I compared the first 30 minutes or so scene for scene where overhead sounds were present in DTS:X).

·
Premium Member
2,960 Posts
I have to say Neural X did a heck of a job with Striking Distance (1993 with Bruce Willis) given it only has a 2-channel soundtrack. Not only were surround effects easily discerned in stereo, but when the scene during the Policeman's Ball by the river in Pittsburgh had fireworks, they were strong and loud almost directly overhead about 40% out into the room. That was pretty impressive from a 2-channel source, IMO. Underwater scenes weren't quite as all surrounding as modern Atmos movie like The Meg or even ones derived from 5.1 or 7.1, but compared to the old days of Pro Logic or even PLIIx, it's definitely an improvement.

Frankly, I'm constantly amazed how good 5.1/7.1 soundtracks upmix with Neural X as many sound better than some (too many, IMO) of the actual Dolby Atmos or DTS:X movies that seem to do very little with what's available compared to what could be done. OTOH, some movies like the Harry Potter UHD DTS:X ones offer enhanced effects that aren't even present in the original 5.1 soundtrack (or rather probably aren't emphasized at volumes to be discerned) like some of the flying car effects in The Chamber of Secrets (upmixing with Neural X puts the car overhead when appropriate, but the DTS:X soundtrack adds more panning car effect sounds that weren't even present in the 5.1 version at all. (i.e. I compared the first 30 minutes or so scene for scene where overhead sounds were present in DTS:X).
I 100% totally agree with what you have said and covered in your Post ^^^

Terry

·
Registered
108 Posts
How does everyone feel about Boston Acoustic XS speakers for Atmos heights? Figured I’d ask in the official thread. Fronts are ML Motion 20, so I’m hoping it’s not a huge difference in sound.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
On another note, I finally watched 1917 in Atmos last night. Sadly, the Atmos was utterly underwhelming. Other than a biplane scene that went well overhead, it seemed like most of the time there was very little surround sound and/or it was drowned out by the music in the front channels overwhelming pretty much any subtle surround effects. The plot played out like watching someone else play a video game from a 3rd party view in real time. Compared to a WWI classic like The Blue Max (which frankly had better surround overall with Neural X even from stereo), I can't recommend it at all. I watched Hacksaw Ridge in Atmos the other day and it was vastly better sounding and a vastly better movie as well (but WWII not WWI).
I really enjoyed 1917 on my Atmos system. I thought the sound was comparable to what I heard when I saw the film in the theatre. Loved that it was based on a true story and the Director's Grandfather's experience during WWI. It's very different from a movie like Hacksaw Ridge, which is more action compared to 1917. But 1917 is the movie that pushed me to upgrade my home theatre to Atmos after seeing it in the theatre.

I've only had my Atmos system since this past spring so don't have much experience with it. I've only watch 1917, Midway and John Wick Chapter 4 in Atmos. I thought all sounded great. I still need to watch Hacksaw Ridge, Gravity, Star Trek and some other movies that I have boxed up in my garage after a move a couple of years ago. So, based on what you saying, I'm in for a treat.

·
Premium Member
2,960 Posts
I really enjoyed 1917 on my Atmos system. I thought the sound was comparable to what I heard when I saw the film in the theatre. Loved that it was based on a true story and the Director's Grandfather's experience during WWI. It's very different from a movie like Hacksaw Ridge, which is more stop action compared to 1917. But 1917 is the movie that pushed me to upgrade my home theatre to Atmos after I saw it in the theatre.

I've only had my Atmos system since these past spring so don't have much experience with it. I've only watch 1917, Midway and John Wick Chapter 4 in Atmos. I thought all sounded great. I still need to watch Hacksaw Ridge, Gravity, Star Trek and some other movies that I still have boxed up in my garage after a couple of years ago. So, based on what you saying, I'm in for a treat.
eaayoung,

I just had my Atmos system installed maybe a few months ago now.
I love it and would do it again for a fact !!!

Atmos kicks Serious-Butt ................

Terry

·
Registered
21,203 Posts
I post now only Because I don’t know any other way to resubscribe to the thread using the new UI. There are a bunch of other things I hate about the new UI Too but those are stories for another day. Anyway, I still enjoy Atmos and am grateful the thread still exists.

·
Registered
409 Posts
No - I just decided to change the audio on the ATV to ignore Atmos and just use 5.1
I started doing some testing with the Vertex, but ran out of time before making any real progress.
I set change format = off and disabled Atmos; this changed the audio output to Auto and I can see PCM on my receiver which is much better to "my ears" than selecting DD 5.1

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
eaayoung,

I just had my Atmos system installed maybe a few months ago now.
I love it and would do it again for a fact !!!

Atmos kicks Serious-Butt ................

Terry
I've seen photos of your Atmos system. Mine is very modest with a Denon 4500, Def Tech SM55, 9040 center, 6000 sub and Def Tech in ceiling and in-walls surrounds. I love the Atmos sound! Huge improvement over a 5.1 or 7.1 system IMO.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I really enjoyed 1917 on my Atmos system. I thought the sound was comparable to what I heard when I saw the film in the theatre. Loved that it was based on a true story and the Director's Grandfather's experience during WWI.
Is your system set for equal sound levels all around or do you crank the surround speakers and/or overhead speakers up a bit? I know some people that crank the overheads up 4-6dB over flat so they can hear the overhead sounds better. I normally have it set for flat sound all around here, but sometimes forget to change the level settings back (as I did at first when I was watching John Wick III) if I'm using the 2nd and/or 3rd rows as the front speakers drop about 2dB by the 2nd row and closer to 4dB by the 3rd row so I typically turn down the rear speakers 2dB to even out the difference (fixes 2nd row near perfect and front row is slightly quieter for rear row effects and back slightly louder for them, but if I'm watching alone in the MLP and/or only have 1 or 2 other guests sitting in the front row, I move it back for perfect sound in the front row only.

I'm also getting the impression some Atmos films that turn down the surround during non-action scenes would benefit from ramped up surround settings. I'm thinking about setting a hot/smart setting button to do just that for some films. I'm also guessing that at theater level volumes, many of these films would have more noticeable surround ambient effects during quiet moments as they would be probably be 3-10dB louder than what most people tend to play in their home theaters, making quieter surround effects much louder when no major other sounds are playing. At home you might get blasted during a loud part, though.

I'm also starting to wonder if manually checking my levels with various home theater "pink noise" demos for channels is giving me slightly different results as the radio shack SPL meter is more sensitive to some frequencies than others (e.g. I usually turn off my subwoofer as it seems to overwhelm the rest of the frequencies as I keep it 4dB above flat for extra "oomph" (with a +3dB booster available at the push of a couple of buttons for the occasional soundtrack that seems bass lite for some reason), but that screws up the readings, even between different speakers as the rolloff (even with a crossover) varies between tower and bookshelf speakers as well and they interact a bit with the pink noise too depending on its band emphasis (they're not all equal levels by the sounds of them; the DTS channel checks sound different than the Dolby Atmos ones) and you can't really use the AVR's manual level check once you've done room correction as it will be all out of whack (as it operates with room correction turned off). I'm talking about like 1-2dB, but I can be pretty darn picky especially with tests demos that are supposed to reveal panning weaknesses, etc. (imagine making tiny toe-in corrections for hours for the front speakers alone, let alone running room correction with each one to see what happens).

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I was wondering-when people talk about Saving Private Ryan being locked at 7.1.2.....what does that mean or do if I am listening to that in a 7.1.4?
what happens to the 4 overheard man? Does it not pan the same way?

is it generally recommended as an atmos buy or a pass? Obviously I already have seen the movie before but wondering if it is a good or not good atmos upgrade?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I was wondering-when people talk about Saving Private Ryan being locked at 7.1.2.....what does that mean or do if I am listening to that in a 7.1.4?

is it generally recommended as an atmos buy or a pass? Obviously I already have seen the movie before but wondering if it is a good or not good atmos upgrade?
In a 7.1.4 system, the overhead effects from a 7.1.2 type movie will phantom image in-between the front height/tops speakers and the rear height/tops speakers (typically directly overhead if you sit in the middle or it might pull a bit towards the closest overhead speaker if you more in one direction the other (multiple seats or a different couch location) due to the precedence effect. In a 7.1.6 system, it should image out of the "Top Middle" speakers instead (again typically placed in the middle of the room).

Saving Private Ryan is a good movie. It's not the best Atmos movie, but it's certainly not terrible. I'd buy it if you like the movie (or maybe if you haven't seen it), but if you just want an Atmos demo, there are better examples out there (e.g. I recommend "Overlord" instead for that purpose).

The irony is Disney is supposedly the only studio that does "print through" limited soundtracks, but Saving Private Ryan proves it's really not, although I imagine they simply placed a fixed object in that position for overhead effects rather than going to the lengths Disney goes to.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Is your system set for equal sound levels all around or do you crank the surround speakers and/or overhead speakers up a bit? I know some people that crank the overheads up 4-6dB over flat so they can hear the overhead sounds better.
I was going to mention that point. I haven't run Audyssey since I added my four Atmos speakers. So I have my speakers set to what sounds good and they are cranked up. I've been waiting for a quiet time to run Audyssey. But with three barking dogs, spouse working from home plus a daughter home from college, never found a time to run it. I'm planning on run Audyssey next week.

·
Premium Member
2,960 Posts
Is your system set for equal sound levels all around or do you crank the surround speakers and/or overhead speakers up a bit? I know some people that crank the overheads up 4-6dB over flat so they can hear the overhead sounds better. I normally have it set for flat sound all around here, but sometimes forget to change the level settings back (as I did at first when I was watching John Wick III) if I'm using the 2nd and/or 3rd rows as the front speakers drop about 2dB by the 2nd row and closer to 4dB by the 3rd row so I typically turn down the rear speakers 2dB to even out the difference (fixes 2nd row near perfect and front row is slightly quieter for rear row effects and back slightly louder for them, but if I'm watching alone in the MLP and/or only have 1 or 2 other guests sitting in the front row, I move it back for perfect sound in the front row only.

I'm also getting the impression some Atmos films that turn down the surround during non-action scenes would benefit from ramped up surround settings. I'm thinking about setting a hot/smart setting button to do just that for some films. I'm also guessing that at theater level volumes, many of these films would have more noticeable surround ambient effects during quiet moments as they would be probably be 3-10dB louder than what most people tend to play in their home theaters, making quieter surround effects much louder when no major other sounds are playing. At home you might get blasted during a loud part, though.

I'm also starting to wonder if manually checking my levels with various home theater "pink noise" demos for channels is giving me slightly different results as the radio shack SPL meter is more sensitive to some frequencies than others (e.g. I usually turn off my subwoofer as it seems to overwhelm the rest of the frequencies as I keep it 4dB above flat for extra "oomph" (with a +3dB booster available at the push of a couple of buttons for the occasional soundtrack that seems bass lite for some reason), but that screws up the readings, even between different speakers as the rolloff (even with a crossover) varies between tower and bookshelf speakers as well and they interact a bit with the pink noise too depending on its band emphasis (they're not all equal levels by the sounds of them; the DTS channel checks sound different than the Dolby Atmos ones) and you can't really use the AVR's manual level check once you've done room correction as it will be all out of whack (as it operates with room correction turned off). I'm talking about like 1-2dB, but I can be pretty darn picky especially with tests demos that are supposed to reveal panning weaknesses, etc. (imagine making tiny toe-in corrections for hours for the front speakers alone, let alone running room correction with each one to see what happens).
MagnumX,

Below is the link to when Chad B. did my Custom Calibrating to the Audio including Atmos.

Chad B.
#634 2 mo ago
audio calibration summary

Terry invited me to share my unfiltered impressions on the audio calibration.

Terry

·
Registered
30,070 Posts

In a 7.1.4 setup, the stereo overhead bed is split equally between the front/rear pair (it's the same as a "phantom center" except front to back instead of side to side).

Definitely still recommended as an Atmos buy, the 5.1 track was already legendary just for the demo-worthy opening scene, and the Atmos track preserves all the awesomeness and adds more spatial detail. Nobody will ever notice the overheads are "mono" on each side with no front to back panning, there's so much activity.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
There's very little overhead activity in Saving Private Ryan compared to something like Overlord and that is very noticeable. However, the movie "cheats" with plane overhead effects in that it uses the bed level speakers to pan front to rear and rear to front while the overheads just play mono. This can fool the ears into thinking the planes are flying overhead front to back, but it's an odd cheat since they could have just panned them overhead instead. I have no idea why they didn't do it properly.

The best war movie for demonstrating Dolby Atmos I've seen and heard so far, though is FURY with Brad Pitt. It's hands down best Atmos sound for a war movie I've heard (even better than Overlord overall, although Overlord has a few great moments, but Overlord is 100x more Science Fiction than a war film, like watching a movie about the game Wolfenstein or something).

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
There's very little overhead activity in Saving Private Ryan compared to something like Overlord and that is very noticeable. However, the movie "cheats" with plane overhead effects in that it uses the bed level speakers to pan front to rear and rear to front while the overheads just play mono. This can fool the ears into thinking the planes are flying overhead front to back, but it's an odd cheat since they could have just panned them overhead instead. I have no idea why they didn't do it properly.

The best war movie for demonstrating Dolby Atmos I've seen and heard so far, though is FURY with Brad Pitt. It's hands down best Atmos sound for a war movie I've heard (even better than Overlord overall, although Overlord has a few great moments, but Overlord is 100x more Science Fiction than a war film, like watching a movie about the game Wolfenstein or something).
thanks for all thefeedback about saving private ryan. I did order it and I have seen it before. I’m sure the overall mix will be good in a 7.1.4 but disappointed to learn about the lack of overheads in this movie. Will let you know once I get it

Reactions: mavericks64

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
How does everyone feel about Boston Acoustic XS speakers for Atmos heights? Figured I’d ask in the official thread. Fronts are ML Motion 20, so I’m hoping it’s not a huge difference in sound.
They will work superbly in this application, I started out with the larger version and even after changing to in-ceiling, I still feel the did a superb job for Atmos.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts

I know Midway isn’t a very good movie but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Atmos mix. Fury is a good film tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58941 - 58960 of 59259 Posts