AVS Forum banner

59221 - 59240 of 59278 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I just watched Charlie's Angels (2000 original movie with Cameron Diaz, Lucy Lieu and Drew Barrymore) in Dolby Atmos with its 4K/Atmos retrofit. Charlie's Angels had pretty decent Atmos sound with a lot of overhead effects (including a great helicopter set near the end putting things all around above and flying across the ceiling at different points depending on the camera angle) and plenty of ear level surround use as well including the rear surrounds. It's not the best Atmos track I've ever heard, but it's at least very competent, IMO. I wasn't disappointed like I was with the Back to the Future trilogy (i.e. I just watched half of Part III and it was poor surround in general like the 1st movie let alone overhead effects which were nearly non-existent up until that point save the clock tower recount at the start). Charlie's Angels is pure cheese (or should I say cheesecake given how great the ladies look?), but it's still fun to watch 20 years later and Atmos brings the sound up-to-date on this one. I haven't seen any signs of an updated 4K/Atmos retrofit of the sequel that added Demi Moore to the mix, but I hope it gets an update also soon as well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Reactions: Legairre

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
can anyone comment on whether the matrix 2 is also a good atmos mix? I know the first one is...
Just considering purchasing on iTunes vs renting.

·
Registered
30,086 Posts
I don't know about the Atmos mix, but everyone would be better off pretending Matrix 2 and 3 do not exist, and just watching the original three times in a row instead.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I thought The Matrix Reloaded was fine. The freeway scene was one of the most intense movie scenes ever filmed. It's the 3rd movie (Revolutions) where it went off the rails (boring mostly IMO with nothing new to offer story-wise).

Personally, I think they should have spent more time on the raid to get to the architect that was rushed/glossed over near the end and saved that for the last movie) and had a lot less time on that squidee Zion attack, if any. The 3rd movie was barely in the Matrix. They should have also explained Neo's powers over the squidees by making Zion another part of The Matrix (I.e. They never actually left The Matrix; they were all still inside of and only thought the machines let them leave it). That would have made a huge difference I think as the last movie had no real narrative or plot surprises and the ending was more depressing than exciting.

In any case, the soundtracks are fine on all three. None are major overhead effects demos, though, IMO (better off with Blade Runner 2049 or Fury for that, IMO).

I guess some of you won't be going to see the 4th movie if you hated the sequels. It's already finished filming and could come out next year if the virus dissipates sooner rather than later. I'm certainly going to hope for the best rather than prejudge it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I have a Denon 6200 in a 5.1.4 configuration with FD+SD upfiring speakers.

Playing the recently released "John Lennon Gimme Some Truth" BD in Atmos from my Oppo 203, I get audio from the 5.1 and SD speakers but no sound from the FD speakers. There are a few others that have D&M avrs/prepros also experiencing this issue.

I changed the the 6200 from FD+SD to TF+TR (or FH+RH) and I get audio from all speakers. I found other Atmos speaker configuration anomalies which I documented here:
John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth. The Ultimate Mixes in...

To my best knowledge, I've never had any issues with Atmos music or videos prior to the "Gimme Some Truth" BD..

Questions:
1) What could cause this? Such as the way the Atmos was authored on the BD?
2) Any downside to permanently running my FD+SD upfiring speakers as TF+TR?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I thought The Matrix Reloaded was fine. The freeway scene was one of the most intense movie scenes ever filmed. It's the 3rd movie (Revolutions) where it went off the rails (boring mostly IMO with nothing new to offer story-wise).

Personally, I think they should have spent more time on the raid to get to the architect that was rushed/glossed over near the end and saved that for the last movie) and had a lot less time on that squidee Zion attack, if any. The 3rd movie was barely in the Matrix. They should have also explained Neo's powers over the squidees by making Zion another part of The Matrix (I.e. They never actually left The Matrix; they were all still inside of and only thought the machines let them leave it). That would have made a huge difference I think as the last movie had no real narrative or plot surprises and the ending was more depressing than exciting.

In any case, the soundtracks are fine on all three. None are major overhead effects demos, though, IMO (better off with Blade Runner 2049 or Fury for that, IMO).

I guess some of you won't be going to see the 4th movie if you hated the sequels. It's already finished filming and could come out next year if the virus dissipates sooner rather than later. I'm certainly going to hope for the best rather than prejudge it.
thanks for the spoilers for the third move :p

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
thanks for the spoilers for the third move :p
I said that's what they should have done. It's not what they actually did. Frankly, if you haven't seen it by now (it came out in 2003), you didn't miss much anyway.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Matrix 1 & Reloaded on 4K UHD disc and Atmos and HDR, its all fantastic video & audio quality! amazing! shows what can be done when someone doing the audio/video takes advantage of the technology properly, unlike some movie studios.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
District 9 on UHD has a very good Atmos track giving the front wides a workout.

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Bass Enabler
21,624 Posts
I don't know about the Atmos mix, but everyone would be better off pretending Matrix 2 and 3 do not exist, and just watching the original three times in a row instead.
Pfft.

Dude. The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions are alright. I mean, they have two of the best things in the world...

...and those would be these awesome moments.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am contemplating to upgrade my 5.1 surround system to Atmos. But the only way I could achieve it, would be to add 2 reflective Atmos speakers high on shelves at the back of the room, above and on the side of the seating area which is close to the back wall. There is no way to add ceiling speakers or Atmos speakers at the front of the room. Would this work? Has anybody tried it? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow no love for the last two Matrix films? The get the nod in my book(y)
Yeah the first was awesome, reloaded was still pretty good but I remember seeing the third at the cinemas and almost fell asleep. they rushed the production of the third as I recall it came out straight after reloaded did, was a bit of a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am contemplating to upgrade my 5.1 surround system to Atmos. But the only way I could achieve it, would be to add 2 reflective Atmos speakers high on shelves at the back of the room, above and on the side of the seating area which is close to the back wall. There is no way to add ceiling speakers or Atmos speakers at the front of the room. Would this work? Has anybody tried it? Any help is appreciated.
Why not just install 4 height speakers high up on the walls. Atmos modules just don’t do a good enough job in my opinion. What brand speakers do you have now?

·
Registered
26,803 Posts
Yeah the first was awesome, reloaded was still pretty good but I remember seeing the third at the cinemas and almost fell asleep. they rushed the production of the third as I recall it came out straight after reloaded did, was a bit of a shame.
Reloaded and Revolutions were filmed simultaneously, in the same manner as the Lord of the Rings movies, as I recall. Revolutions wasn't "rushed," per se. It just wasn't very good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why not just install 4 height speakers high up on the walls. Atmos modules just don’t do a good enough job in my opinion. What brand speakers do you have now?

I could install only 2 speakers since can only install them at the back wall. 4 Speakers there would not make sense,right?
I have Ohm Walsh 2000 mains and Ohm Microwalsh for center and surround. I can´t put Atmos speakers on the top of this type of speaker, and Ohm does not offer Atmos or height speakers. Also an Ohm set would come quite costly and there is not enough Atmos material available to be worth it. I just want to play with it a bit. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I could install only 2 speakers since can only install them at the back wall. 4 Speakers there would not make sense,right?
I have Ohm Walsh 2000 mains and Ohm Microwalsh for center and surround. I can´t put Atmos speakers on the top of this type of speaker, and Ohm does not offer Atmos or height speakers. Also an Ohm set would come quite costly and there is not enough Atmos material available to be worth it. I just want to play with it a bit. :)
I’m not understanding the reason why you can’t add more height channels, is your avr only 5.1.2? If so I would definitely set them up as top middle speakers and use any bookshelf speakers high up on the wall with brackets and aim them down to the listening position. Having behind you won’t give you much benefit in my opinion, others may have a different view

59221 - 59240 of 59278 Posts