AVS Forum banner

60341 - 60360 of 60419 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply MagnumX, but I'm not sure I totally understand. I should also clarify that my 2 Atmos speakers are in ceiling speakers.
I'm sorry. I misread what you were asking.

The angles are kind of far apart so normally I'd say no to putting 5.1 surrounds that far back, but I just listened to a Quad music album (Billy Joel's Streetlife Serenade) that makes me think it might work better than overhead speakers do at such distances. Namely, dumped to ISO (PS3 can extract them), the new version of KODI (V19 Matrix) with the new SACD plugin allows it to play back SACDs directly now and with a quad album, KODI can use either side surrounds (set to 5.1 output fixed config in KODI) or alternately the rear surrounds (set to 7.1 fixed output) for the surround speaker output from that album.

I tried it both ways and I was surprised to find I still had many sounds appearing off to my sides when using fronts + rears for quad output (side speakers were silent so images were phantoms between my rear speakers and mains even though the rears were about 12.5 feet behind me and the fronts are 7.5 feet in front of me). I get weak overhead imaging trying to phantom image that distance without Top Middle so I was surprised how sharp the side phantom imaging was with ear level speakers that far apart.

It's possible the human brain does better combining ear level sources than overhead ones at greater distances. In any case, that experience makes me think it's worth at least trying (i.e. I'd try it with cable across the floor even just to hear what it does before committing to a location either way unless You're stuck in terms of usable locations in the room. Speakers and rooms can vary a bit.

Quad was actually designed for equidistant speaker placement at the center of the square/rectangle so movies might not image as well further apart, but I'd be curious to know how well it works if you try it. I'd have to rewire to try it it out with movies that way here.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Thanks sdurani. I appreciate your thoughts and taking the time to reply. Thanks again.
Regarding your in-ceiling speakers: I have a 9.1.4 system in my main setup, but today I just finished upgrading my bedroom to 5.1.2. I don't anticipating ever adding a second overhead pair here (although never say never) and so gave a lot of thought regarding the placement of the single overhead pair. I settled on an elevation angle of 70 degrees and slightly outboard of the mains but inboard of the surrounds on the azimuth (my mains are perforce a bit narrower than I would like). After installation and having rerun room calibration (YPAO), I tested a range of immersive audio clips; the most telling result was from the Dolby Atmos Audiosphere clip, which displays the sound objects visually on the screen. I perceived the sounds coming almost precisely from the spots on the x/y/z-axis as shown in the video.

My recommendation is that you prioritize a placement just slightly in front of the MLP at between 80 and 65 degrees elevation.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks so much everyone for all your help. To MagnumX, I will definitely try both locations. The trouble with putting the surrounds where they should be, is that one of them is right in the way of our view and my wife is really not keen on it and I really do see her point. So I am going to see which is worse. The speaker blocking part of our view and being where it should be placed, or having our view unimpeded with maybe some loss of sound quality. I really won't be sure until I try, but thought I'd run it by all of you.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Thanks so much everyone for all your help. To MagnumX, I will definitely try both locations. The trouble with putting the surrounds where they should be, is that one of them is right in the way of our view and my wife is really not keen on it and I really do see her point. So I am going to see which is worse. The speaker blocking part of our view and being where it should be placed, or having our view unimpeded with maybe some loss of sound quality. I really won't be sure until I try, but thought I'd run it by all of you.
If you have em on stands instead of the wall, its easy to experiment and move as needed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
HBO Max had DolbyAtmos for Zach Snyder Justice League and Godzilla VS Kong; both sounded really good! WW84 4K UHD Atmos also sounded very good as well.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
HBO Max had DolbyAtmos for Zach Snyder Justice League and Godzilla VS Kong; both sounded really good! WW84 4K UHD Atmos also sounded very good as well.
That's good to hear. I just got WW 1984 3D in and remuxed the Atmos track to it for playback on my Zidoo X9S in 3D with Atmos, but haven't watched it yet.

I dunno if I could sit through that Zack Snyder cut of Justice League, though at 4 hours (in 4:3 no less). I've got the theatrical version in 3D and haven't gotten around to watching it yet (want to watch Superman Man of Steel first, which I realized I should have watched before Batman vs Superman DOJ, but most DC movies are rough to watch and Marvel's non-stop onslaught has me sick of superhero movies (I loved the first movie of the last Avengers (Infinity Wars), but absolutely hated part II). They should have just let it end with Infinity War's ending, IMO. That would have been ballsy.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I'll chime in on some media:

I'll leave my opinions of the Snyder cut out of this but say that it is divided into parts. I forget how many (5 or 6???) and we watched one part per night to keep it manageable. I would say that there is no need to watch any of the other films first.

I'm currently making my way through the Perfect Planet UHD disks. The video is the normal high standard that is expected from these documentaries and the Atmos track is good too.

Having used the Blade Runner 2049 UHD disk for a lot of demo'ing and testing I tried the HBO+ version. It definitely did not sound as dynamic. This was confirmed by a second set of ears. It was different enough that it was noticeable immediately and I didn't bother with comparing any further past the opening scene.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I dunno if I could sit through that Zack Snyder cut of Justice League, though at 4 hours (in 4:3 no less)
I was annoyed that it was 4:3 at first - but you soon forget about that. The movie is split into 6 parts (with title cards before each part), so we watched 3 parts on one night and the other 3 on another night. So, basically like two 2 hour movies, much shorter than Lord of the Rings at around 9 hours.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I was annoyed that it was 4:3 at first - but you soon forget about that. The movie is split into 6 parts (with title cards before each part), so we watched 3 parts on one night and the other 3 on another night. So, basically like two 2 hour movies, much shorter than Lord of the Rings at around 9 hours.
But not quite as entertaining ;)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Last time I watched Lord of the Rings, it was around 12 hours.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks to @MagnumX i guess, i took a free trial on Tidal to check out again Dolby Atmos music. I tried it like 6 month ago and was not impressed, but since then, my setup has changed a bit, or maybe the mixes are way better now.

Anyway, I've cancelled my Qobuz subscription. I can see the added value now, my favourite album from the passed year (Fantastic Negrito's Have you lost your Mind Yet) have an atmos mix, and it is purely magical. Even some old tunes like Elton john's Rocketman are realy impressive. Electronical music really benefits from this (Damn I need Daft punk in atmos) but jazz, rock, pop, classical, in every music type I've found really enjoyable stuff.

Too bad the signal is not in TrueHD, it makes me wanna try pure audio stuffs, but the catalogue is real thin for now.

Really, I suggest to give it a try.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was annoyed that it was 4:3 at first - but you soon forget about that.
The entire feature can still be watched in the 1:85 aspect ratio it was original protected for in the theatrical version. Your TV likely offers a selection of aspect ratios to choose from ( on my LG OLED I use the all-direction zoom option ) which will zoom in and lop off the very top and bottom of the picture which changes the image aspect ratio to the 1:85 ratio compositions it was originally shown in during the theatrical run. You will see that even the credits are protected within the 1:85-safe area.

(OK, your tv is actually a 1:78 ratio but it's so close to the theatrical 1:85 it's immaterial.)

I watched the entire feature this way and was totally satisfied that the compositions were not being bastardized ( especially since I knew that's the way we saw them in theatres ).

It costs you nothing to try - and when you do you'll instantly see how the 1:85 ratio fits the compositions just as it did theatrically.

·
Registered
724 Posts
even though zach snyder justice league is presented in 4:3, you are getting the full IMAX image, so there is that. You can use your projector or tv to do some zoom of the image though to crop it to your liking. I cropped my projector to zoom in just enough to leave some black bars on the L & R sides, it was great!

·
Registered
27,706 Posts
even though zach snyder justice league is presented in 4:3, you are getting the full IMAX image, so there is that.
The thing is, no portion of Justice League was actually shot with IMAX cameras or composed for the super-tall IMAX 1.43:1 ratio. Snyder's decision to reframe the movie as 4:3 (which is not even an IMAX ratio at all) was made after-the-fact.

·
Registered
27,706 Posts
The new Netflix series Shadow and Bone (premiering 4/23) has some nice Atmos effects with monsters flying overhead, especially in the first and last episodes.

Reactions: Robbie Racer

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The thing is, no portion of Justice League was actually shot with IMAX cameras or composed for the super-tall IMAX 1.43:1 ratio. Snyder's decision to reframe the movie as 4:3 (which is not even an IMAX ratio at all) was made after-the-fact.
It was shot Super 35, and Snyder now claims he composed it with IMAX 1.43 in mind. I'm not sure I believe him though.

60341 - 60360 of 60419 Posts