AVS Forum banner

19661 - 19680 of 58966 Posts

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
That's one of the reasons i stopped getting Blu-Rays from Netflix (lack of the audio i wanted) so I'm content just to Stream. On Any Sunday I Bought from Amazon, that gives me peace of mind that I'll get the correct Audio, On Any Sunday is not what I would consider as a Demo for Atmos but it was enjoyable.
I stopped the discs from Netflix because they stopped processing on Saturday's and then the Post Office got rid of their graveyard shift causing the discs to take 2 days each way instead of the 1 day it had been earlier. I have a processing facility in my city BTW.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I stopped the discs from Netflix because they stopped processing on Saturday's and then the Post Office got rid of their graveyard shift causing the discs to take 2 days each way instead of the 1 day it had been earlier. I have a processing facility in my city BTW.
I have no inside information (other than conversations with CSR's), but I believe Netflix is working on the best workable solution to the USPS's recent and ongoing cutbacks. I experienced multi-day delays in January (and one lost disk), but they are now down to just one extra day for the month of February to date (I have been keeping a record of all of my BRD's transit times since the delays hit). And when I complained to Netflix about the additional processing time (all the while acknowledging that it was not their fault) they sent me an extra disk and then tacked on six weeks of additional disks at no cost to me. So color me happy for the present.

And BTW I just now got The Railway Man (another *gasp* Lionsgate release) and even though the Netflix info web page shows that it only has Dolby Digital 5.1 (implying the lossy codec), the disk they sent me has a DTS HD-MA 5.1 soundtrack. So there's that!:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I, too, have a local processing facility and right after USPS got rid of overnight delivery around January 5, discs started arriving a day late. This continued until the end of January but then somebody, somewhere, rejiggered the work flow and now discs are arriving the day after shipping as they always did. Don't know who blinked first but it was broken and now it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Connect the left side + and - to your speaker wire pos and neg. You are then good to go. It doesn't matter which you use so long as you make sure one is to the pos wire (+) and the other (-) to the neg wire.

The other pair of + and - connections are for linking another set of speakers to the same line in a distributed system. You can count 1, 2, 3, 4 from either side. I agree the manual isn't a model of clarity in this regard.
Thank you! So slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 on the speaker terminal would be fine. Just as long as they were paired positive and negative. Ok, makes sense. Thank you! It just threw me for a loop when the connector was flipped because I figured (incorrectly) one set was for input and one set was for output on the speaker.
Just to confirm, for your peace of mind. :) These speakers will almost always be used in a 70 volt distributed system, in which the first speaker is connected to the amp, the second speaker to the first speaker, the third to the second, and so on. They make a parallel connection (electrically) to one amp channel. The manual probably doesn't mention this because it's understood by 99% of people who will be hooking these up. The Euroblock (or Phoenix) connector facilitates the parallel connection. The two negative pins are connected to each other inside the speaker, and the two positive pins are also connected to each other. Long story short: As long as you use one of the positives and one of the negatives (in any combination), you're good to go.

Reactions: SoundJunky

·
Registered
483 Posts
DSU and Atmos Love

Watched the Matrix Trilogy with DSU. Parts two and three were a bit more active and impressive overall than the first of the trilogy, but the first one sounded pretty good overall. The Underworld series was cool too, with Awakenings and Evolutions sounding the best. I have to watch Maze Runner again because I started watching it late at night and fell asleep, but the first half hour sounded promising. Into the Storm was a very fun watch.....awesome use of DSU and some nice bass moments. Fury with DSU was a nice combo....sounded sweet and powerful to my ears, with sexy directionality and panning. Book of Life, a children's animated film, was OK...not awesome but not bad either. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Atmos was pretty intense with some nice Atmos moments (snow mountain scene and final battle with Shredder). A couple moments in this movie and in John Wick where I thought my speakers were going to blow up....for real, no joke...especially in John Wick. Finally, I would like to mosdef recommend Prometheus with DSU.....so far one of the best DSU experiences (along with Into the Storm, Oblivion, Star Trek, and Star Wars' latest three episodes). Atmos/DSU induced Nirvana :D

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
If you can buy a new piece of electronics that will motivate you to re-watch your Blu-ray movie and music collection; not bad, not bad @ all. :cool:
... DSU, Auro-Matic.

* Me, I will do it soon, with dts:x, and with my 3D Blu-ray movie collection. ...3D sound (dts:xpand "upmixer") with 3D picture.
Because, I don't expect to see some "serious" discrete software (Atmos & DTS:X) in quality and in reasonable quantity till about two years, @ least. /// About 2017.
And only if the movie studios are doing their part for support. ...We need the ball rolling, and it just ain't happening.

So, for now people play mainly with DSU and a bit with Auro-Matic, and then pretty soon DTS:X own 3D surround sound up-mixer ("dts:xpand").

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I'm building a new theater room and starting over from scratch with the speakers. I'd love some recommendations please on mid-end speakers for a complete 7.1.4 or eventually 9.1.6 setup. Heights would be in-ceiling speakers. Could you please have a look at the model of my room in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1899297-new-theater-design-project-your-input-needed-please.html and recommend speakers for the various channels? I really have no idea what speakers cost these days - been over a decade since I bought anything other than a sub. By "mid-end" I mean just that - not looking for budget speakers or to do things on the cheap but not looking to spend $20k on speakers either... I'd like everything to be timbre matched and whatever specs Atmos and other next-gen sound technologies call for. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
The Mazerunner sounds great in DSU...it was one of the first movies I tested when my install was done for a couple of reasons. First, the theatrical mix was done in Atmos and the home theater mix in 7.1 sounded great from overhead. DSU takes it up a notch for sure and adds even more immersion.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The Mazerunner sounds great in DSU...it was one of the first movies I tested when my install was done for a couple of reasons. First, the theatrical mix was done in Atmos and the home theater mix in 7.1 sounded great from overhead. DSU takes it up a notch for sure and adds even more immersion.
+1 totally agree..

·
Registered
483 Posts
+1 totally agree..
Yeah...gonna play Maze Runner again tomorrow night....earlier this time lol. Gonna follow that up with Art of Flight. This weekend is gonna be Marvel/DC weekend....Avengers, Iron Man trilogy, Batman trilogy and Man of Steal. I am giddy like a little kid with my new AV setup. :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm building a new theater room and starting over from scratch with the speakers. I'd love some recommendations please on mid-end speakers for a complete 7.1.4 or eventually 9.1.6 setup. Heights would be in-ceiling speakers. Could you please have a look at the model of my room in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1899297-new-theater-design-project-your-input-needed-please.html and recommend speakers for the various channels? I really have no idea what speakers cost these days - been over a decade since I bought anything other than a sub. By "mid-end" I mean just that - not looking for budget speakers or to do things on the cheap but not looking to spend $20k on speakers either... I'd like everything to be timbre matched and whatever specs Atmos and other next-gen sound technologies call for. Thanks!
I like JBL, Aperion, Axiom, and SVS speakers for most bang for ur buck. Polk and Goldenear are very well regarded too. If ur going in-ceiling for ur Atmos, you might look into an all Goldenear or Polk speaker setup. But there are many possibilities to be honest with you. If you can find some places, even if it is a Best Buy/Magnolia spot...you should try to get a listen or two before dropping cash. Whatever YOU think sounds best, will sound the best....and the more likely you will be satisfied with ur purchase. Good luck and best wishes.:)

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I like JBL, Aperion, Axiom, and SVS speakers for most bang for ur buck. Polk and Goldenear are very well regarded too. If ur going in-ceiling for ur Atmos, you might look into an all Goldenear or Polk speaker setup. But there are many possibilities to be honest with you. If you can find some places, even if it is a Best Buy/Magnolia spot...you should try to get a listen or two before dropping cash. Whatever YOU think sounds best, will sound the best....and the more likely you will be satisfied with ur purchase. Good luck and best wishes.:)
Thanks for the suggestions. What's unique about Goldenear and Polk that leads you to point those out as good choices for in-celing Atmos (which is what I am doing)?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Significant Events In AVS History

Thanks for the suggestions. What's unique about Goldenear and Polk that leads you to point those out as good choices for in-celing Atmos (which is what I am doing)?

Significant Moments in AVS History

37,000years ago - these two Neanderthals were standing in a cave in El Castillo Spain looking at a bull painted on a stone wall. One of them said, “Pretty entertaining huh.” The other guy said, “Bring in the storyteller.” So they wake up this old man who is the keeper of their history. The old man spoke, “300 years ago Elaz the great setout to bring food to the tribe.......,” and he goes on for hours.

Then a stately Neanderthal woman with long grey hair begins to sing the men's favorite hunting song. “Elaz, the great provider, oh we praise his name.........”

One of the men is now sitting on the floor, “What a night; does it get any better than this?” The other guy looked at him with his most serious face and said, “I don't know, did you hear that echo? I have some ideas about how we might fix that.”

1927 –two guys – two girls siting in a movie theater after having watched the first talking movie, the Jazz Singer. One of the men says,”Whajathinkathat ?” “Well, I don't know why Al Jolson had to put that boot polish on his face, I don't know what that had to do with the story,” says one of the women.

“Everybody's a critic,” says the man. “I mean what about the idea that these people are talking in this movie.” “Yeah, I guess that's OK, says the other woman.” “Did you notice their lips did not match up with the words,” says the other guy, “What can be done about that?”

6-21-2014– 10:08 AM – Two guys siting in a man cave surfing the avsforum and one of them says, “Hey look at this; they've opened a thread for Dolby Atmos.” “Atmos, Atmos, Whazat, says the other.” “I'm not sure, but I think we better start cutting holes in our ceiling.”

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey lovingdvd..... I Pointed you towards Goldenear and Polk because they make in-wall and in-ceiling speakers that I have heard. I have never heard JBL, Axiom, or Aperion in-walls or in-ceilings. I have lots of experience with JBL floorstanders and standmount speakers. Also, the folded ribbon tweeter in the Goldenear products should give you a nice and wide dispersion pattern. They also have models with tweeters that you can tilt or direct towards the main listening position. The Goldenear Atmos demo at CEDIA 2014 was well received by many listeners at the show.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Significant Moments in AVS History

37,000years ago - these two Neanderthals were standing in a cave in El Castillo Spain looking at a bull painted on a stone wall. One of them said, “Pretty entertaining huh.” The other guy said, “Bring in the storyteller.” So they wake up this old man who is the keeper of their history. The old man spoke, “300 years ago Elaz the great setout to bring food to the tribe.......,” and he goes on for hours.

Then a stately Neanderthal woman with long grey hair begins to sing the men's favorite hunting song. “Elaz, the great provider, oh we praise his name.........”

One of the men is now sitting on the floor, “What a night; does it get any better than this?” The other guy looked at him with his most serious face and said, “I don't know, did you hear that echo? I have some ideas about how we might fix that.”

1927 –two guys – two girls siting in a movie theater after having watched the first talking movie, the Jazz Singer. One of the men says,”Whajathinkathat ?” “Well, I don't know why Al Jolson had to put that boot polish on his face, I don't know what that had to do with the story,” says one of the women.

“Everybody's a critic,” says the man. “I mean what about the idea that these people are talking in this movie.” “Yeah, I guess that's OK, says the other woman.” “Did you notice their lips did not match up with the words,” says the other guy, “What can be done about that?”

6-21-2014– 10:08 AM – Two guys siting in a man cave surfing the avsforum and one of them says, “Hey look at this; they've opened a thread for Dolby Atmos.” “Atmos, Atmos, Whazat, says the other.” “I'm not sure, but I think we better start cutting holes in our ceiling.”
I thought the cave men were going to invent sound deadening, I mean after all they did have 37,000 years , no moral to the story after all . ;)

19661 - 19680 of 58966 Posts