AVS Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 2562 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have read the last 10 pages with interest. I have a 110 cinewhite aeon screen. My walls are a light colour , my projector is the Optoma uhz65lv so 5000 lumins from the laser.
Im defiantly getting light bouncing off the walls , I want another aeon screen , so can any one advise on either daywalker or cinegrey 3D?
im pretty sure it’s one of these two , but just don’t understand the difference between them.
Thanks for any advice .

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Have read the last 10 pages with interest. I have a 110 cinewhite aeon screen. My walls are a light colour , my projector is the Optoma uhz65lv so 5000 lumins from the laser.
Im defiantly getting light bouncing off the walls , I want another aeon screen , so can any one advise on either daywalker or cinegrey 3D?
im pretty sure it’s one of these two , but just don’t understand the difference between them.
Thanks for any advice .
That projector is not 5000 lumens. It's very likely less than half.
And it's a model for living rooms with ambient light for sports, not a cinema projector. Poor contrast, typical 4K DLP.

So it depends what you want to use it for.

The best way to solve this issue is to treat the room, with paints and dark fabrics.

The 3D and daywalker are very similar. They require more throw ratio to avoid artifacts.
How far can the projector be placed from the screen?

Even so, a projector and screen setup can only work if the image is bright. If the image is dark that is where no lights is sent. Ambient light and reflections will wash out dark parts of the image.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok thanks for the advice. That video really does make a point! The projector is to be used in a general media type room so it’s a case of making the best I can of light walls .
It’s fairly bright but didn’t not think it was actually 5k lumins depending on settings I know it can vary a lot , It’s good enough for it’s Intended use.
Just want to be sure a cinegrey will help a bit with the light walls .

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Ok thanks for the advice. That video really does make a point! The projector is to be used in a general media type room so it’s a case of making the best I can of light walls .
It’s fairly bright but didn’t not think it was actually 5k lumins depending on settings I know it can vary a lot , It’s good enough for it’s Intended use.
Just want to be sure a cinegrey will help a bit with the light walls .
It can, but the projector has to be further away not to have hotspot/other artifacts.

How far away is the projector mounted, or how far away it can be mounted?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
The lens to the screen is just overt 11 feet on to a 110 diagonal 16:9 cinewhite
With the current placement throw ratio is 1.37x.
To avoid hotspots/sparkle at least 1.8x is recommended.
For 2.0x throw ratio distance lens to screen is ~16'.

Uniformity on this model is ~70%, which is not great. It affects the severity of the hotspot.

Example with DLP with 73% uniformity and Cinegrey 3D:

So it depends if you're ok with the artifacts, unless the projector can be moved backwards.

Another alternative is paint mixes, either applied on a wall or a white screen.

Last alternative would be a negative gain grey screen, whatever brand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well my 11 ish foot to screen is it as the projector is up against the back wall. So getting a cinegrey 3D screen would be a leap of faith and hope it’s ok. I’m going to look into at least covering the wall and part side walls then in a dark material. Then consider the grey screen.
‘I’m actually really pleased with the image I’m getting and blacks arnt to bad at all. I’m just after giving it a little more help with the reflection of the side walls.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well my 11 ish foot to screen is it as the projector is up against the back wall. So getting a cinegrey 3D screen would be a leap of faith and hope it’s ok. I’m going to look into at least covering the wall and part side walls then in a dark material. Then consider the grey screen.
‘I’m actually really pleased with the image I’m getting and blacks arnt to bad at all. I’m just after giving it a little more help with the reflection of the side walls.
I think you will be VERY happy with it, I have the 150" 16:9 Cinegrey 3D for several years (suggest having 2 people put it together, I did alone and the last side was really hard to do making sure it was very taut, literally a few inches an hour since I had to take breaks). I'm in a completely light controlled no white walls or ceiling theater with the Epson 5040 and it is AMAZING! on so many levels. I have bought some cinewhite and Cinegrey 5D samples and white even though some films like Fast n Furious colors pop and are brighter, the contrast of the Cinegrey 3D bay FAR blew the others out of the water. When I tested the Cinewhite I bought 4 samples (since each one was size of a 11x8.5 paper) and made a larger collage since 11.8.5 on a 150" is hard to really tell. For the money, can't go wrong with Elite, the only issue I have which has nothing to do with the scree, is that almost my entire library is scope 2.35:1 and planning on getting a bigger screen. I want to keep the height I am use to, but go wider which means a 180" 2.35:1 and it is super $$$ even with Elite since it's not a normal size and custom. Just so you know IMHO with the Cinegrey 3D you will get a LOT more contrast, Star Wars, MCU, DC, Transformers, etc. will be way more colorful due to the deeper blacks (at least with the Epson 5040/5050 since they have some serious contrast ratios). And I also use it for 3D Blu Rays

·
Registered
461 Posts
With the current placement throw ratio is 1.37x.
To avoid hotspots/sparkle at least 1.8x is recommended.
For 2.0x throw ratio distance lens to screen is ~16'.

Uniformity on this model is ~70%, which is not great. It affects the severity of the hotspot.

Example with DLP with 73% uniformity and Cinegrey 3D:

So it depends if you're ok with the artifacts, unless the projector can be moved backwards.

Another alternative is paint mixes, either applied on a wall or a white screen.

Last alternative would be a negative gain grey screen, whatever brand.
If I can get your opinion and anyone else who has opinions of pros/cons please jump in on this.

So as I mentioned before, I have a 150" 16:9 zero edge Elite screen with exactly 74.5" x 132" viewable real estate.
Planning on going scope 2.35:1 (since I have upgraded a portion of my library to 4K and 3D several 100 discs and only opened a dozen, want to see them in their full native aspect ratio), however I do want to keep the height I have and figured since I am building the screen from scratch (framing, fabric, paint, etc) why not go a little taller for any 16:9 films/Xbox gaming which I have already tested to make sure it works on all levels i.e. distance from MLP, viewing comfort, ect. , since it won't cost extra in material or time and thus have the best of both worlds.

Goal is to go 78" tall and 165" wide ( know the standard for 180" is 70 x 165). I already know in either format, I will always have black bars whether it's top & bottom or sides, but at least this way for 16:9 film/shows and especially gaming (mostly XBOX ONE X Star Wars Battlefront II, HALO, etc) I get more than I have now and for scope, I can truly get the theatrical feel.
The Epson has 2 memory position button (hold up to 10 though) and planning on getting the JVC NX7.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I missing anything or is there something that I missed and might find out later that this was not a good idea?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
If I can get your opinion and anyone else who has opinions of pros/cons please jump in on this.

So as I mentioned before, I have a 150" 16:9 zero edge Elite screen with exactly 74.5" x 132" viewable real estate.
Planning on going scope 2.35:1 (since I have upgraded a portion of my library to 4K and 3D several 100 discs and only opened a dozen, want to see them in their full native aspect ratio), however I do want to keep the height I have and figured since I am building the screen from scratch (framing, fabric, paint, etc) why not go a little taller for any 16:9 films/Xbox gaming which I have already tested to make sure it works on all levels i.e. distance from MLP, viewing comfort, ect. , since it won't cost extra in material or time and thus have the best of both worlds.

Goal is to go 78" tall and 165" wide ( know the standard for 180" is 70 x 165). I already know in either format, I will always have black bars whether it's top & bottom or sides, but at least this way for 16:9 film/shows and especially gaming (mostly XBOX ONE X Star Wars Battlefront II, HALO, etc) I get more than I have now and for scope, I can truly get the theatrical feel.
The Epson has 2 memory position button (hold up to 10 though) and planning on getting the JVC NX7.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I missing anything or is there something that I missed and might find out later that this was not a good idea?

Thanks
Ask @bud16415, he has a lot more experience with multiple aspect ratios.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ask @bud16415, he has a lot more experience with multiple aspect ratios.

Got thanks, what's the proper protocal? message him directly or start a new thread where others can chime in?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can anyone tell me if Elite sell replacement screen material? I have an aeon 244 x 137 cinewhite. I’ve tried a sample of the cinegrey 5d and its way better in my non light controlled room. I just want the material so I can recover my aluminium frame. Cant find an option on the web site for this.
Any ideas ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys, so far I've found Elite CineTension 2 150 inch and EPV Max 150 inch screens available around my budget ($1500). Do you have any recommendations?

I've been projecting on a normal wall for the past 4 years. I find it just fine (without a specialized screen). However, I'm moving to a new place and there wooden trims on walls so the walls won't work anymore. My projector is a 1080 long throw projector (Epson 5025).

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Hi guys, so far I've found Elite CineTension 2 150 inch and EPV Max 150 inch screens available around my budget ($1500). Do you have any recommendations?

I've been projecting on a normal wall for the past 4 years. I find it just fine (without a specialized screen). However, I'm moving to a new place and there wooden trims on walls so the walls won't work anymore. My projector is a 1080 long throw projector (Epson 5025).
What color are the walls and how far away can the projector be mounted?

·
Registered
32 Posts
What color are the walls and how far away can the projector be mounted?
The room itself is 18 ft x 21 ft. The potential wall for the screen is 18ft long and the viewing distance is about 18 ft. The walls are somewhat grey but there's a wooden trim of 4ft on all walls.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
The room itself is 18 ft x 21 ft. The potential wall for the screen is 18ft long and the viewing distance is about 18 ft. The walls are somewhat grey but there's a wooden trim of 4ft on all walls.
I was thinking of an ALR screen, from XY screen BC 0.8, but the room sounds semi treated. If the room could be more treated (darker grey paint for walls), that would be better. Throw ratio is ~1.7x, so should be fine.
A white screen would be ok for that room.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here is my dilemma.
I have an Elite Screens Vmax (original 2005) 100" and still works great, hence, I like to purchase another Elite Screens.
What I don't like about Vmax1: Sparkles galore! I can't find any info on the original 2005 Vmax, only that they are Matte White 1.1. I don't have any ripples, material is thick, back is black enough to block light from the window that is behind it, but I hate the sparkles!!!

So I ordered sample sheets:
CineWhite
removes all sparkles instantly, but my original Vmax1 have a tad darker blacks. (as black as they can get which is pretty much dark grey because my walls are light)
Cinegrey, I don't see much enhancement with lights on, a tiny bit with lights off.
Cinegrey 5D, better blacks, but nothing crazy like I see on youtube videos. (I actually used my phone to see the difference and it did show a lot, but only thru the phone screen, when I look at it directly, I didn't see much, and maybe that's why youtube videos show a big difference)

I'm waiting for more samples to come in:
MaxWhite FG:
Which is available with the Vmax2, but it's the fibreglass inject that scares me, I wonder if it has sparkles like mine. (I read reviews that the Spectrum screens have it, idk about Vmax2)
Acoustic Pro AUHD: My TV sits behind the screen, and I'm afraid about light bleeding thru and hitting the TV screen, and then reflecting back to me and ruining the whole experience.

My set up is as follow: Epson 5050UB, ceiling mounted, about 17.5ft (5.3m) from the screen. Center of lens is about 10" (25cm) below the ceiling,
and the top of screen (actual viewing white part) its about 8" (20cm) below the ceiling.
Walls and ceiling are very light colours that kill contrast, and painting them is not an option.
My movie watching is 85% at night, lights off, and 15% daytime (some daylight leaking in from the sides of the thick curtains, light off)
It lights are one, I use my TV.

So to recap:

Acoustic Pro AUHD:
Will it bleed onto my tv and bounce back?
MaxWhite FG Vmax2: Will it sparkle like my Vmax1? (Spectrum MaxWhite FG reviews say they do)
Cinegrey 5D: Worth the price for such a little difference or is my set up/distance wrong?
I can't afford Screen Innovations, I can't get fixed frame.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Here is my dilemma.
I have an Elite Screens Vmax (original 2005) 100" and still works great, hence, I like to purchase another Elite Screens.
What I don't like about Vmax1: Sparkles galore! I can't find any info on the original 2005 Vmax, only that they are Matte White 1.1. I don't have any ripples, material is thick, back is black enough to block light from the window that is behind it, but I hate the sparkles!!!

So I ordered sample sheets:
CineWhite
removes all sparkles instantly, but my original Vmax1 have a tad darker blacks. (as black as they can get which is pretty much dark grey because my walls are light)
Cinegrey, I don't see much enhancement with lights on, a tiny bit with lights off.
Cinegrey 5D, better blacks, but nothing crazy like I see on youtube videos. (I actually used my phone to see the difference and it did show a lot, but only thru the phone screen, when I look at it directly, I didn't see much, and maybe that's why youtube videos show a big difference)

I'm waiting for more samples to come in:
MaxWhite FG:
Which is available with the Vmax2, but it's the fibreglass inject that scares me, I wonder if it has sparkles like mine. (I read reviews that the Spectrum screens have it, idk about Vmax2)
Acoustic Pro AUHD: My TV sits behind the screen, and I'm afraid about light bleeding thru and hitting the TV screen, and then reflecting back to me and ruining the whole experience.

My set up is as follow: Epson 5050UB, ceiling mounted, about 17.5ft (5.3m) from the screen. Center of lens is about 10" (25cm) below the ceiling,
and the top of screen (actual viewing white part) its about 8" (20cm) below the ceiling.
Walls and ceiling are very light colours that kill contrast, and painting them is not an option.
My movie watching is 85% at night, lights off, and 15% daytime (some daylight leaking in from the sides of the thick curtains, light off)
It lights are one, I use my TV.

So to recap:

Acoustic Pro AUHD:
Will it bleed onto my tv and bounce back?
MaxWhite FG Vmax2: Will it sparkle like my Vmax1? (Spectrum MaxWhite FG reviews say they do)
Cinegrey 5D: Worth the price for such a little difference or is my set up/distance wrong?
I can't afford Screen Innovations, I can't get fixed frame.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.
Why not paint mixes then? Can be customized. Applied on the wall or a smooth screen, even electric.

2521 - 2540 of 2562 Posts