AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 2499 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a Panasonic AE8000 lighting a 92" screen from about 11 feet away, so I have a ton of brightness to spare. Currently I have the CineWhite, but was wondering if going CineGray would be better? Oh and the room is painted black with almost 0 ambient light. Thoughts?
Stay with the Cinewhite. In a black room, a gray screen adds nothing useful.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does anyone have any experience installing an Elite Screen Electric screen? They included five M5*50MM metric screws, along with five drywall anchors.

But the instructions provided (and on their site) show that if you're wall mounting, the only two points are the outward facing keyhole brackets?

Anyone safely mount with the included screws and have three extras? lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone have any experience installing an Elite Screen Electric screen? They included five M5*50MM metric screws, along with five drywall anchors.

But the instructions provided (and on their site) show that if you're wall mounting, the only two points are the outward facing keyhole brackets?

Anyone safely mount with the included screws and have three extras? lol
ha - I found that strange as well - the ceiling mount method uses 4 screws, but 5 still doesnt make sense.

anyway - I didnt trust using those anchors, and I know there would be no way to hit the studs exactly (I didnt even try). So I took two 8" pieces of 2x4 and screwed that to the wall, and then screwed the screen to that. I needed that space anyway, since I have my tv on the wall

·
Registered
2 Posts
Completely new to ht. Ended up jumping on what I thought was a great deal but now I'm beginning to second guess it.

First of all, I went through this thread and saw it asked but not answered. Does anybody have experience with the maxxwhite fg? The fiberglass backed material.

Next, this is what I bought:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/141363120549?nav=SEARCH

But it dropped in price like 8 bucks since I ordered it last night and they aren't flying off the shelves, it says 1 sold.

Says new, model number matches, reputable seller. Guess we will see what happens

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Completely new to ht. Ended up jumping on what I thought was a great deal but now I'm beginning to second guess it.

First of all, I went through this thread and saw it asked but not answered. Does anybody have experience with the maxxwhite fg? The fiberglass backed material.

But it dropped in price like 8 bucks since I ordered it last night and they aren't flying off the shelves, it says 1 sold.

Says new, model number matches, reputable seller. Guess we will see what happens
Wayfair is a reputable dealer. I bought my first Da-lite from them.

·
Registered
115 Posts

I have that same screen. I paid ~$190 from amazon in november 2013.

According to elite, this is acceptable. It was worst out of the box, this is after a few weeks.:mad:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yup I bought the cheapie Elite pulldown as well and it has to be replaced due to waves. Sadly I really think you get what you pay for in this case.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah - I went through 2 elite manual pull downs before I settled on a elite electric. The electric was 5 more inches and less than a $100 more. There are still waves - but very minor

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bought a Cinetension 92" electric screen over 6 years ago. Use it at least 10x a week.

No issues - no waves - no problems.

If you can afford it, get the tensioned one, you will not regret it. IMHO

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bought a Cinetension 92" electric screen over 6 years ago. Use it at least 10x a week.

No issues - no waves - no problems.

If you can afford it, get the tensioned one, you will not regret it. IMHO
Yeah - I was so close to getting a tensioned screen. But at 120" it was $800 more then the non tensioned - and I paid less than $800 for the projector.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah - I was so close to getting a tensioned screen. But at 120" it was $800 more then the non tensioned - and I paid less than $800 for the projector.
Elite just released the Starling tab tensioned screens at a price that won't bust you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Any of the non-tension screens will develop waves eventually but if it is brand new, Elite should replace it. I had my 135" Elite pull down for 2 years and didn't have any waves. I found though that keeping a consistent temperature helps in reducing the chances of waves.

A couple years ago I almost went icecruncher's route of buying an electric cinetension screen. They are ideal for stopping waves and still have a recessed look. I had finally been able to dedicate an entire room to HT and so I went with an EZ-Frame 120". Having a screen mounted on the wall, it just looks amazing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Any of the non-tension screens will develop waves eventually but if it is brand new, Elite should replace it. I had my 135" Elite pull down for 2 years and didn't have any waves. I found though that keeping a consistent temperature helps in reducing the chances of waves.

A couple years ago I almost went icecruncher's route of buying an electric cinetension screen. They are ideal for stopping waves and still have a recessed look. I had finally been able to dedicate an entire room to HT and so I went with an EZ-Frame 120". Having a screen mounted on the wall, it just looks amazing.

I tried, they said it was normal and not covered:mad:

·
Registered
296 Posts
The center of the screen that is bowed out is very noticeable when watching 16:9 movies.
Did you go through there online warranty submission, where they ask for photos? I'm wondering if you showed a photo with a movie and wave being visible. If it then can be covered. I had to do a warranty claim on my EZ-Frame because of odd white specks that sparkled during movies. They needed a picture then sent me a replacement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What is the cause of "waves"? Is it the material being stretched and not returning to shape? Has anyone tried stretching the other areas or is this a losing battle once it starts?

1681 - 1700 of 2499 Posts