AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1153 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those are the most popular recommendations for affordable speakers on AVSF and generally considered as ones you can't go wrong with.
I'm a bit sensitive to peculiar looks on speakers so some of those I wouldn't consider based on that alone ;)
On your Chane block, the A2.4 makes more sense as center and/or large bookshelf fronts, less so as surrounds. A1.5 or the forthcoming A4.5 would be a more natural choice for that.
To be honest, I'm not really thrilled about the looks of any of them (other than the Triangles, at least online they look impressive), and would love something that matched the looks of the room a bit more, but there doesn't seem to be anything in this price/performance range that does.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
To be honest, I'm not really thrilled about the looks of any of them (other than the Triangles, at least online they look impressive), and would love something that matched the looks of the room a bit more, but there doesn't seem to be anything in this price/performance range that does.
What would be a good match for the room? A certain finish color?
There was some guy that commented the Triangles look like cheap vinyl wraps, I don't know if that's the case. There are one or two guys who got them on deep discounts on Adorama and seem very pleased with them. If look are important to you, I'd look at their center speaker option to see it isn't much inflated compared to the floorstands.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What would be a good match for the room? A certain finish color?
Something a bit less black and utilitarian, and more mid century/modern. Our new custom cabinet is cherry, but we love walnut veneer, or really anything that isn't very red or traditional looking. My wife would love the Triangles in light oak or even Walnut, but I'm not thrilled about their center channel, and I'd really prefer to match at least the front three, preferably all five (for aesthetic reasons) if possible.

This is still a work in progress, but conveys the idea:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Something a bit less black and utilitarian, and more mid century/modern. Our new custom cabinet is cherry, but we love walnut veneer, or really anything that isn't very red or traditional looking. My wife would love the Triangles in light oak or even Walnut, but I'm not thrilled about their center channel, and I'd really prefer to match at least the front three, preferably all five (for aesthetic reasons) if possible.

This is still a work in progress, but conveys the idea:
Man, that's a nice looking place. Well done.

There are speakers that would match what you are looking for, but they may not match the price you want to pay... WD Evo, Ascend (maybe), Chane L Series, HTD L3, all come in a "woodier" looking finish. HTD is on par with the prices of your speakers list. The other two would be more.

Philharmonic Audio now relaunched with pretty cabinets and are well regarded, but they are more bookshelf/large bookshelf sized and no actual center speaker, though they have some solution for that iirc. I think they are more expensive than the four you are considering, and you'll need stands.

I'm sure there are more, but right now those came to mind.

I feel like I'm stepping into Zorba territory without having the actual experience. Just sheeping stuff I've read here :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Man, that's a nice looking place. Well done.
There are speakers that would match what you are looking for, but they may not match the price you want to pay... WD Evo, Chane L Series, HTD L3, all come in a "woodier" looking finish. Philharmonic Audio now relaunched with pretty speakers and are well regarded, but they are more bookshelf/large bookshelf sized and not on the same price level as the four you are looking at. I'm sure there are more, just what I could think of now.
I feel like I'm stepping into Zorba territory without having the actual experience. Just sheeping stuff I've read here :)
Thank you, we're very happy with how it's coming along. I had forgotten about the HTD Level Threes, those ebony cabinets are nice, have similar specs to my choices and a fairly compact footprint.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Thank you, we're very happy with how it's coming along. I had forgotten about the HTD Level Threes, those ebony cabinets are nice, have similar specs to my choices and a fairly compact footprint.
And free returns. They don't get a lot of attention here but they look very decent. MartinLogan Motion also has some woody finishes.
Interesting, Emotiva, Chane, HTD, WD, ML, Ascend, PhilAudio, are all using some variation of a ribbon tweeter, ha.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
And free returns. They don't get a lot of attention here but they look very decent. MartinLogan Motion also has some woody finishes.
Interesting, Emotiva, Chane, HTD, WD, ML, Ascend, PhilAudio, are all using some variation of a ribbon tweeter, ha.
that's the current trend.. with variations of the amt being most popular at the moment...i really like mine...

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
146 Posts
No free returns on towers, unfortunately, only bookshelf speakers. Still, worth a stronger look, since I think only the JBL's will actually get me free returns.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
No free returns on towers, unfortunately, only bookshelf speakers. Still, worth a stronger look, since I think only the JBL's will actually get me free returns.
Ah, didn't know that. Zorba always says they offer free returns.
You could get cheeky and order the matching bookshelf, try them and if you like them, return and get the towers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice design, great looking place. And, with that high mid-century design style I'd probably go with a Sonos too, perhaps the Arc. You just aren't going to get speakers in there that don't look like crap.

Maybe the Klipsch Five's on the ends of the wall-mounted shelf, but I doubt they'll have enough depth.

Personally I wouldn't mess up that room with speakers...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice design, great looking place. And, with that high mid-century design style I'd probably go with a Sonos too, perhaps the Arc. You just aren't going to get speakers in there that don't look like crap.

Maybe the Klipsch Five's on the ends of the wall-mounted shelf, but I doubt they'll have enough depth.

Personally I wouldn't mess up that room with speakers...
That's funny because to me, the room feels incomplete without some nice big towers on either side of the cabinet. That's why I purposely designed it at that size, to leave plenty of room for floorstanders.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone ever drilled a hole into the B1's to attached a speaker mount to? My living room setup really only let me hang the speakers from the ceiling.

Or if someone has a third party speaker mount that will accomplish this, I would be all ears.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts

This is still a work in progress, but conveys the idea
The place looks really nice! These are probably a better match and should sound better, too:

If you must use the covers, they are an interesting gray fabric, unlike most.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The place looks really nice! These are probably a better match and should sound better, too:

View attachment 3048956

If you must use the covers, they are an interesting gray fabric, unlike most.
Those certainly do look nicer than my other options, but I thought I remembered ELAC being considered a little under-performing compared to the other standouts in this price range, or is that only the non-reference Debut series?

I'm a little concerned about the smaller drivers than some of my other options, two-way center vs three-way, and slightly lower sensitivity (running through a recent but lower-end AVR), but I guess these are the trade-offs for a nicer cabinet.

Since these are sold through dealers, are they generally available at a discount?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Since these are sold through dealers, are they generally available at a discount?
I think Elac are more often on some discount than not. Not sure if this specific model but generally speaking.
Dealership prices can get it down to 40% off MSRP in many cases, after they are done pretending.
The bookshelf version of this speaker got a glowing review on ASR.
The CC looks a bit awkward to me with the grille on and the venting ports visible on the sides, but that's me.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
1101 - 1120 of 1153 Posts