AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's finally that time. The Emotiva UL LMC-1 and LMA-1 are out the door and beginning to trickle into the hands of awaiting purchasers.

I am personally towards the bottom of the pre-order list, and will therefore not receive the pre/pro for another month or so ... however, I figure someone should start this thread to keep things easy to find for the people now receiving theirs, as well as those considering a purchase.

Please post all impressions of sound and usability, questions, set up descriptions and tips, as well as any bug finds, etc.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As I've already posted my thoughts on the AV123 forum during the beta testing phase, my thoughts/opinions haven't changed. I'll watch quietly from the sidelines now and let others post their thoughts.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbehr
Nhan, Do you have the newest product shipment LMC-1 ?
Yes, I have the latest LMC-1. I received the in-production pre-pro this week and shipped back the beta unit. Life is good :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Any significant changes to report in either sound or function?
Like I said, I'll try to stay out of the way of these discussions this time around, since I don't want to take away from those who are just receiving and listening to their units.

But to answer your questions, the main change is that the distance and cross-over functions are more flexible now. Now, the user can apply distances (in 0.5 ft increments) to their mains, center, side surrounds and back surrounds. They can also apply cross-over settings to the same sets (in 10 Hz increments) from 60-150 Hz (I think that range is correct).

I've not had a chance to calibrate the system fully, but have listened to a few music/movie passages and it does sound as good as the beta pre-pro that I returned. The amp in beta testing became the production amp, so nothing's changed there and I have that same amp.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan
But to answer your questions, the main change is that the distance and cross-over functions are more flexible now. Now, the user can apply distances (in 0.5 ft increments) to their mains, center, side surrounds and back surrounds. They can also apply cross-over settings to the same sets (in 10 Hz increments) from 60-150 Hz (I think that range is correct).
Nhan,

So you can apply a different crossover frequency for each speaker?

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may be wrong, but I believe it's in speaker groups, - not individual speakers.

Therefore your mains would get one setting, the center another, your side surrounds another, and your rears something else.

For those that have irregular surround speaker placement, and would like a different distance for (example) their left side surround versus their right side surround, I don’t think it will handle that. Note however, that is a fairly uncommon feature to my knowledge.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nhan, Please reconsider and use this thread to sum up your thoughts and opinions of the Emotiva UL units as a finished product. The AV123 forums seem to go off topic at a drop of a hat or exhaustively discuss the company model instead of focusing on these products. While at the same time we can open this forum to merits of these units. Ponder this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT
I may be wrong, but I believe it's in speaker groups, - not individual speakers.

Therefore your mains would get one setting, the center another, your side surrounds another, and your rears something else.

For those that have irregular surround speaker placement, and would like a different distance for (example) their left side surround versus their right side surround, I don’t think it will handle that. Note however, that is a fairly uncommon feature to my knowledge.
That's correct.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Nhan, Please reconsider and use this thread to sum up your thoughts and opinions of the Emotiva UL units as a finished product. The AV123 forums seem to go off topic at a drop of a hat or exhaustively discuss the company model instead of focusing on these products. While at the same time we can open this forum to merits of these units. Ponder this. Thanks
I'll try to help out with technical questions and such, but I'll reserve my comments on the ULs performance till many have had a chance to share theirs. How's that?

Also, I've not had a chance to listen all that much to the new unit, since beta testing has really worn me out. And since I've picked up a squeezebox, along with a Sammy DLP for the bedroom, the living room's not getting much use ;) :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Fair enough Nhan. Could one take both rear surround pre-outs to the zone 2 inputs and set the zone 2 input source to match the main monitor source, or even follow the main source and use the internal amps to power the rear surround speakers?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Fair enough Nhan. Could one take both rear surround pre-outs to the zone 2 inputs and set the zone 2 input source to match the main monitor source, or even follow the main source and use the internal amps to power the rear surround speakers?
Wow....not sure if I can follow what your question was. The Zone 2 connections are OUTPUTs only. What exactly are you trying to accomplish by going that route?

Not sure why you would want to use the internal amps (I assume you mean the digital ones contained in the pre-pro) to power the back surround speakers. The 6th/ 7th channel amps of the LPA-1 amplifier should be used for that.

The internal amp of the pre-pro is used to power the Zone 2 speakers. For example, I have my outdoor speakers connected to this internal amp. When I want to listen to whatever source I have hooked up to the pre-pro, I can either select Sync to listen to the same thing that I'm listening to in the Main Zone; or I can select a separate source source directly.

Keep in mind that when you select a separate source for Zone 2, it must be hooked up via a stereo analog connection. If you choose Sync, however, and you have your souce's connection selected as either optical or coax, the LMC-1 will convert the digital signal to a 2-channel signal automatically.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT

That would work fine. It would be an improvement over the BA AVP7 I had which has one setting for all speakers. Also having distance in .5 ft settings is better as well. I am on the list for mid July so I look forward to demoing the LMC-1.

Thanks, Bill

·
Banned
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhan
Not sure why you would want to use the internal amps (I assume you mean the digital ones contained in the pre-pro) ...
Doesn't this kind of defeat the whole purpose of separates? :confused:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ
That is a bit unusual to have the pre-pro contain a stereo amplifier, much less a digital one. But I dont' think it hurts the performance whatsoever. Not much heat is coming out of the unit when I have both Zone 1 and Zone 2 going.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry for my incomplete and poorly thought out reply. So here goes again. Can I use the LMC-1 internal amp to power the rear surround speakers as I shop for a separate stereo amp. I have a five channel amp and am using the amps in my receiver/pre-pro to power my rears currently. So I'm going to need something happening there, or go 5.1.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac
That would work fine. It would be an improvement over the BA AVP7 I had which has one setting for all speakers. Also having distance in .5 ft settings is better as well. I am on the list for mid July so I look forward to demoing the LMC-1.

Thanks, Bill
So Emotiva LMC-1 with the BA A7200 for you too? ;)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ
It's meant to be used with the second zone controller.

AV123 is planning on offering a wall control pad that will connect to the pre/pro as well ... that is a pretty sweet 2nd zone system IMO. Unheard of at this price.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Sorry for my incomplete and poorly thought out reply. So here goes again. Can I use the LMC-1 internal amp to power the rear surround speakers as I shop for a separate stereo amp. I have a five channel amp and am using the amps in my receiver/pre-pro to power my rears currently. So I'm going to need something happening there, or go 5.1.
There might be a way to hack it ... but I'd wonder if the timing might get thrown off a bit?

Since it's only temporary though, maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

1 - 20 of 481 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.