AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 519 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,494 Posts
I've owned an XMC-1 pretty much from the time it was released. I can't believe the XMC-2 has been out for about five months and still no Dirac. That's insane!

I'm very happy with the XMC-1 and was hoping that Dirac Live 2 would be an upgrade possibility. I posted over at the Lounge and Emotiva will not be offering a Dirac Live 2 upgrade for the XMC-1. I was told I could trade in my XMC-1 and that the XMC-2 would be the upgrade. I don't see it that way. With the trade in it would cost $1050 to get the XMC-2. Not what I consider an upgrade. Especially when the XMC-1 was released it was billed as "the last processor you'll ever need" due to it's upgradeable architecture. Well that certainly isn't true :rolleyes:.

Bill
The only way to have a fully upgradeable processor is to gut it. Forget the marketing, parts get old and obsolete.
These days, 5 years is a long run for an HT processor if you want the latest features and compatibility.

- Rich

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I've owned an XMC-1 pretty much from the time it was released. I can't believe the XMC-2 has been out for about five months and still no Dirac. That's insane!

I'm very happy with the XMC-1 and was hoping that Dirac Live 2 would be an upgrade possibility. I posted over at the Lounge and Emotiva will not be offering a Dirac Live 2 upgrade for the XMC-1. I was told I could trade in my XMC-1 and that the XMC-2 would be the upgrade. I don't see it that way. With the trade in it would cost $1050 to get the XMC-2. Not what I consider an upgrade. Especially when the XMC-1 was released it was billed as "the last processor you'll ever need" due to it's upgradeable architecture. Well that certainly isn't true :rolleyes:.

Bill

AVR lifespans are getting shorter, not longer. I made the mistake of buying a very high end unit in the 1.3-1.4 HDMI era. Never again. Bought a used XMC-2 this time around and when it’s obsolete (and it will be soon) it won’t be nearly as painful.

·
Registered
987 Posts
1. Will the XMC-2 support Dirac Bass Management Module when it’s released (any day now!). Will there be a fee to enable ?

2. Will this prepro support a 9.3.4 atmos system ? Ie 3 individual channels for the subs (as required for Dirac BMM)

3. can you control this pre pro with an automation system (ex Crestron). Is RS232 control possible (much more simple/reliable than IP!)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The only way to have a fully upgradeable processor is to gut it. Forget the marketing, parts get old and obsolete.
These days, 5 years is a long run for an HT processor if you want the latest features and compatibility.

- Rich
Or you get a Trinnov Altitude which is getting the latest and greatest functionality as soon as it is available.

If you can afford the upfront cost it will keep you going many generations worth of DSP based processors.

Reactions: llang269

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,494 Posts
Or you get a Trinnov Altitude which is getting the latest and greatest functionality as soon as it is available.

If you can afford the upfront cost it will keep you going many generations worth of DSP based processors.
Sure, but you are paying full replacement costs. At least with a full processor, you get to sell the old part :p

- Rich

·
Registered
291 Posts
I’m not sure if a potential XMC2 buyer considers a Trinnov processor as an alternative.

But the gripe regarding the XMC1 being the last processor we will ever need is legitimate since that’s what I clearly remember when I bought that as well.

Makes sense as Ray came from Theta and that’s what Theta always claimed. Even though Thetas upgrade plan for the Casa Nova that cost $4500 way back when was a generous upgrade to the Casablanca for a low sum of $7000. Bottom line is most processors don’t last forever so just don’t believe it the nonsensical promises.

·
Registered
14,656 Posts

- Rich
No offense but you are missing my point. That is don't market a processor as being "upgradeable" if you don't plan on doing something as basic as upgrading Dirac to the latest version. So no I'm not forgetting Emotva's original "marketing" of the XMC-1.

No need to gut the XMC-1 to upgrade Dirac to the latest version. I contacted Dirac and they stated an upgrade to Dirac Live 2 could be done but it would be up to Emotiva. They doubted they would do that. Emotiva has already stated that they will not be offering the upgrade.

Whatever an AVR/prepros lifespan is or is not has no bearing on this IMO. Just don't market a component as being upgradeable or "the last processor you'll ever need" if you're not willing to follow through on that commitment. Emotiva has been doing this for years and I'm starting to wonder how they stay in business.

Bill

Reactions: drh3b

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,494 Posts
No offense but you are missing my point. That is don't market a processor as being "upgradeable" if you don't plan on doing something as basic as upgrading Dirac to the latest version. So no I'm not forgetting Emotva's original "marketing" of the XMC-1.

No need to gut the XMC-1 to upgrade Dirac to the latest version. I contacted Dirac and they stated an upgrade to Dirac Live 2 could be done but it would be up to Emotiva. They doubted they would do that. Emotiva has already stated that they will not be offering the upgrade.

Whatever an AVR/prepros lifespan is or is not has no bearing on this IMO. Just don't market a component as being upgradeable or "the last processor you'll ever need" if you're not willing to follow through on that commitment. Emotiva has been doing this for years and I'm starting to wonder how they stay in business.

Bill
No offense taken.
My old integra Nostradamus of processors had no upgrades. I didn’t see that coming :)

Emotiva has no control over Dirac’s software so no one knows if Dirac 3, delivered 4 years from now, will be upgradable on any current processor.
None promise that.

- Rich

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
No offense taken.
My old integra Nostradamus of processors had no upgrades. I didn’t see that coming :)

Emotiva has no control over Dirac’s software so no one knows if Dirac 3, delivered 4 years from now, will be upgradable on any current processor.
None promise that.

- Rich
True Emotiva has no control over Dirac's software. But Dirac replied to my email and said that the XMC-1 could be upgraded to Live 2. That's direct from Dirac which is the current version not something four years down the road. If Dirac replied that the XMC-1 could not be upgraded to Live 2 then it would be a totally different situation.

I have an Emotiva 40% discount card from before the XMC-1 was released. Maybe it's time to sell it unless Emotiva can get their act together and make Dirac available and bug free in the XMC-2. Then again would the Dirac feature of advanced bass management due out in the near future be a possibility for the XMC-2 and RMC-1? Or would that require trading in the XMC-2 or RMC-1 for the next models ;).

Bill

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think Emotiva has acknowledged that the claim with the XMC1 was in error and are making up for that claim by doing the XMC1 to XMC2 upgrade.

It’s a good offer. They have finished Dirac with the XMC2 and will be getting it out as soon as they can. Obviously the coronavirus affects their delivery but it’s coming.

Dirac bass management will be an add-on to the Dirac software where it will consider the subs as a group, so the filter values will be different than the base Dirac 2.0.

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
I think Emotiva has acknowledged that the claim with the XMC1 was in error and are making up for that claim by doing the XMC1 to XMC2 upgrade.

It’s a good offer. They have finished Dirac with the XMC2 and will be getting it out as soon as they can. Obviously the coronavirus affects their delivery but it’s coming.

Dirac bass management will be an add-on to the Dirac software where it will consider the subs as a group, so the filter values will be different than the base Dirac 2.0.
I agree that it was a good program to offer the XMC-1 in trade for the XMC-2. I'm really not interested in the XMC-2 till it's fully functional with Dirac and all the bugs if any with the Dirac module are worked out. I've been an Emotiva "beta-tester" more times than I care to remember. The issue would still be whether the Dirac bass management add on would work with the Dirac software of the XMC-2.

Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
DTS:X (Neural) 9.1.6

Any chance we will get an update on the upmixer, maybe part of the DTSX Pro or will this only be given with a new HDMI board like Marantz AV8805 ? :confused:

·
Registered
987 Posts

Doesn’t Trinov charge as much as most high end pre pro, just for an upgrade ?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree that it was a good program to offer the XMC-1 in trade for the XMC-2. I'm really not interested in the XMC-2 till it's fully functional with Dirac and all the bugs if any with the Dirac module are worked out. I've been an Emotiva "beta-tester" more times than I care to remember. The issue would still be whether the Dirac bass management add on would work with the Dirac software of the XMC-2.

Bill
I don’t blame you or anyone waiting until the pre pro has everything you want before buying it especially room correction.

I had some trouble uploading my latest REW measurements so I had to call Emotiva and got some help from Lonnie. I had to do a hard boot and thank god that worked! REW makes things sound soooo much better, it’s a must until Dirac arrives. They fixed the sub issue - my sub filters loaded.

During this stay in place mandate, I am glad I have my XMC2 along with the rest of my gear. I’m listening music in all its glory. And Dirac will make it that much better.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before the XMC2 will ship with Dirac for you.

This thing sounds incredible! My last REW measurements really locked things in! And I’m a beta tester so I’m on v1.9.1 beta.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Doesn’t Trinov charge as much as most high end pre pro, just for an upgrade ?
If you need a new HDMI board it will be a charge, but that is the only hardware you ever need to swap.

If you want to increase the channel count then the upgrade will cost the same as the price difference between the models.

DTS:X Pro was added free of charge.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Why does this pre pro need a hardware dongle to use Dirac 2.0?

Does it ship with this piece of hardware ? What about the Dirac microphones ?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Why does this pre pro need a hardware dongle to use Dirac 2.0?

Does it ship with this piece of hardware ? What about the Dirac microphones ?
That’s needed to translate the API output from Dirac Live 2.0 to the language that the DSP uses.

They will ship it. With each new processor once they build them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Any chance we will get an update on the upmixer, maybe part of the DTSX Pro or will this only be given with a new HDMI board like Marantz AV8805 ? /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
Can you please expand on what kind of update is needed? I would like to understand the limitations of the current upmixing. I currently use DTS-X for all my upmixing needs, as it allows for 9.1.2 (wides plus one pair of heights). It doesn’t seem that native DTSx allows for wides in the XMC-2 so I assume wides cannot be used up mixed either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can you please expand on what kind of update is needed? I would like to understand the limitations of the current upmixing. I currently use DTS-X for all my upmixing needs, as it allows for 9.1.2 (wides plus one pair of heights). It doesn’t seem that native DTSx allows for wides in the XMC-2 so I assume wides cannot be used up mixed either.
If you have 2.0 or 5.1 sound in your 9.1.6 setup, you will have dead silent loudspeakers because upmixing is limited to 7.1.4. That's why DTS:X Pro will be great… any news on that from Emotiva?

201 - 220 of 519 Posts