AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If you have 2.0 or 5.1 sound in your 9.1.6 setup, you will have dead silent loudspeakers because upmixing is limited to 7.1.4. That's why DTS:X Pro will be great… any news on that from Emotiva?
If you have an atmos movie and a 9.1.6 set up will it play all 16 channels?
Allen

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Hello All, In a 7.1.4 setup, can the front widths be used for bi-amping? Or just is that only available in a 5.1.4 system? My speakers have separate inputs just for that and I’ll have two spare channels, so I’m thinking why not.

I’ve looked through the OM and searched thread but, have not found a definitive answer. I don’t have the XMC-2 installed yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hello All, In a 7.1.4 setup, can the front widths be used for bi-amping? Or just is that only available in a 5.1.4 system? My speakers have separate inputs just for that and I’️ll have two spare channels, so I’️m thinking why not.

I’️ve looked through the OM and searched thread but, have not found a definitive answer. I don’️t have the XMC-2 installed yet. Thanks!
Yes the front wides can be used for bi-amping.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Have any XMC-2 owners compared it to HTP-1 in terms of audio quality and stability ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello All, In a 7.1.4 setup, can the front widths be used for bi-amping? Or just is that only available in a 5.1.4 system? My speakers have separate inputs just for that and I’️ll have two spare channels, so I’️m thinking why not.

I biamp my Canton Reference 2k with xmc-2! BUT I dont know if the 65w power is enough with the surroundchannels for the cantons! Sounds great thou

·
Registered
291 Posts

I biamp my Canton Reference 2k with xmc-2! BUT I dont know if the 65w power is enough with the surroundchannels for the cantons! Sounds great thou
The front wide can be used for bi-amping. I’m going to try it tonight. I’m going to see if this sounds better or if bridging 2 channels sounds better.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Thanks to all who answered. I’ll be plugging 650wpc x 2 into these bad boys! Been running a single 400wpc into them for thirteen years so, I should be able to tell if there’s a difference or not. Talk about headroom though.

·
Registered
291 Posts

The front wide can be used for bi-amping. I’m going to try it tonight. I’m going to see if this sounds better or if bridging 2 channels sounds better.
The bi-amping works well with the front wides. I think it definitely made an improvement. Bridging lowered the sound quality so I bridged 2 channels (400 watts) to the lows and 1 channel (200 watts) to the highs. I know I’m not running 600 watts but this gives a nice bottom end grunt and is more refined up top.

Best I can do with this Sherbourn 7/2100.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Have any XMC-2 owners compared it to HTP-1 in terms of audio quality and stability ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audiosciencerview measured both units. They are both at the top end of HT measurements, the Emotiva might even be considered a touch better than the HTP-1 with V1.9 but they measure very similarily which is not surprising as they have very similar dac and opamps and both are a competent implementation.

The HTP-1 is likely more stable from what I can see but the XMC-2 is a lot better with the current firmware than older firmware and be careful of people referencing old info with the Emotivas. The big difference is the HTP-1 has good working Dirac right now but the XMC-2 is quite a bit cheaper and should get Dirac soonish. Feature wise the XMC-2 has more analogue audio focussed features whilst the HTP-1 will likely get DTS:X pro faster and has Auro.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I’m pretty impressed with the HTP1 rollout. Much less buggy than most other “high-end” processors.

The cost difference is a $1000 plus shipping so it’s not a trivial amount. Those that hate Emotiva, your choice is obvious but to others, either option is good depending on your needs. Based on the architecture, the HTP1 looks to be more easily upgradeable since it’s using the MDS platform.

For example, since the HTP1 uses the MDS HDMI module, when it’s time to upgrade from HDMI 2.0 to 2.1, Monoprice will have a solution developed by MDS. On the other hand Emotiva who has a custom HDMI solution thru Panasonic will need to undergo another custom solution round that seems to result in a lot of bugs.

Honestly, if the sound quality is similar, then the benefits of the custom solution route is diminished. Thankfully, I got the trickle down technology in the XMC2 and am part of the UFL so this unit cost me $2250 less some emo bucks I had. So for me the choice was pretty obvious but to others, depending on your situation your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
I’m pretty impressed with the HTP1 rollout. Much less buggy than most other “high-end” processors.
You're impressed with a rollout that is much less buggy? Are your expectations always that low? I mean that thing costs 4000 dollars! It shouldn't have any readily identifiable bugs at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bridging? Do we talk about emotiva xmc-2? I have 3x300w and 4x65w so that is 1 channel short to biamp with the fr channels! , I guess you mean to split the center channel to the top of the speaker? Or is it possible? Otherwise the 65w ch seems to work fine!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You're impressed with a rollout that is much less buggy? Are your expectations always that low? I mean that thing costs 4000 dollars! It shouldn't have any readily identifiable bugs at all.
What brands have you used that had no initial or ongoing bugs in the past 2 or 3 years? You can include AVR's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I’️m pretty impressed with the HTP1 rollout. Much less buggy than most other “high-end” processors.
Well it’s just how it is these days. Things are a lot more complex and that’s why they have firmware updates.

I don’t have your passion - it’s just a processor so if it has a few bugs I’m not gonna ***** and moan about it. It’s just not that big of a deal.

Monoprice did a nice job with the HTP1. A website that sells cables released their first processor with this much polish was pretty impressive. JBL / Arcam from what I read came out with far less reliable products and we all know the issues with the RMC1. That’s all I was saying.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
What brands have you used that had no initial or ongoing bugs in the past 2 or 3 years? You can include AVR's.
Why do you keep asking this question? I already gave you the answer: what boutique brands delivered the last few years is extremely bad.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Well it’s just how it is these days. Things are a lot more complex and that’s why they have firmware updates.

I don’t have your passion - it’s just a processor so if it has a few bugs I’m not gonna ***** and moan about it. It’s just not that big of a deal.

Monoprice did a nice job with the HTP1. A website that sells cables released their first processor with this much polish was pretty impressive. JBL / Arcam from what I read came out with far less reliable products and we all know the issues with the RMC1. That’s all I was saying.
Needing firmware updates to fix bugs is not the problem. The problem is the excessively large number of bugs in basic functions on initial release. There's something fundamentally wrong with how these companies operate when a online retailer like Monoprice can develop its own processor that isn't worse (or even better) than what we see from companies that have been in the business for decades.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Needing firmware updates to fix bugs is not the problem. The problem is the excessively large number of bugs in basic functions on initial release. There's something fundamentally wrong with how these companies operate when a online retailer like Monoprice can develop its own processor that isn't worse (or even better) than what we see from companies that have been in the business for decades.
I never said firmware updates to fix bugs is a problem. I understand what you are saying with your generalizations but I don’t understand why it’s important about what is right or wrong with these companies.

My XMC2 works great and that’s all that matters. Now I gotta run some more REW since I went from 5.2.4 to 7.2.4.

Until Dirac arrives... 😊

221 - 240 of 519 Posts