AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
14,657 Posts
I spoke to one of the principals at Emotiva a while back but that’s as far as I am going to say about who.

Dirac said they were going to write the interface code, but they didn’t have time. They probably had their hands full with their own Dirac Live 2.0 & 3.0 (speculation). Then Dirac outsourced the work to some contractors in Croatia (I believe) and that didn’t workout so Emotiva with their already slim crew of developers who were already tapped with trying to stabilize the RMC1 firmware had to go all hands on deck to get Dirac solutioned.

If there are folks in the forum that do not believe me, it’s ok. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. If one of us died later today the other would be none the wiser. Just move on to the next topic.
I certainly wouldn't disbelieve what you are saying. But my personal experience with Emotiva staff including the owner and things weren't always "transparent". The staff at Emotiva could be telling you certain things that might not be totally accurate. In other words their side of things and not Dirac's. Emotiva can spin the current issue with Dirac anyway they wish. I just look at a company that has a long history of over hyping and under delivering as far as release dates for components and needed upgrades for those components.

Bill

Reactions: llang269

·
Registered
291 Posts
I certainly wouldn't disbelieve what you are saying. But my personal experience with Emotiva staff including the owner and things weren't always "transparent". The staff at Emotiva could be telling you certain things that might not be totally accurate. In other words their side of things and not Dirac's. Emotiva can spin the current issue with Dirac anyway they wish. I just look at a company that has a long history of over hyping and under delivering as far as release dates for components and needed upgrades for those components.

Bill
I can’t disagree with you about...and it was especially Big Dan “leaking” info 5 years before development completes. I don’t think any of it was accidental, rather it was a sales strategy to get us on the hook to wait on the Emotiva processors vs buying a competitive product. AND I was in the camp that waited because back then, especially with the huge success with their amps, the value quotient leaned so far towards Emotiva, waiting for their low cost, high performing product appeared to be the right move. It ended up being true with the XMC1 and now with the XMC2.

There were no other products that they had the consumers wait on like the processors.

So, I don’t think Emotiva was “that” much worse than other companies but for some reason, people seem to be very passionate towards Emotiva - both for and against.

But as long as they provide high performance great value products like the XMC2, I’ll be buying Emotiva products. It’s the best value at $3k and I’m a UFL customer so it’s waaaay cheaper than Monoprice or anyone else.

Can’t go against that kind of value.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No, but then I also changed theaters and never set up my XMC-1 in the new theater before swapping it for the XMC-2. I took the time to use REW to load up EQ curves for the front stage though, and used the XMC-1 file formats to import them (although I did have some issues in some cases where gains would be twice what they should have been according to REW).

The export and import should work, but the hardware is different, so the same exact settings might not have the desired effect.
I would say - just don't do it!

Why would you even risk importing settings that might have one bad command in it.
You could even import an XMC-1 setting that doesn't exist in the XMC-2/RMC code and thereafter be unable to remove or update it.

It would be like using a Windows 8 backup to restore Windows 10

XMC-2 and RMC-1/1L have ALWAYS had different firmware installs than the XMC-1.
They have never been backwards compatible.
From a basic level, there are 16 channels and not 9
9 do not map to 16
Speaker output 8 on the XMC-1 (Left sub) is now speaker output 14

It would take just one hour for me to input all my settings from fresh.
I received my XMC-2 on Monday so I know what I say.
(I don't use PEQ, but then any PEQ filter settings would be invalid as you have different hardware so a different signal so measured room response would be different)

I think you are worrying unnecessarily, and over-estimating the complexity and/or of how long it will actually take you to do it right and to do it properly.
I used my phone to photograph speaker distances as I haven't moved them, and also to photo' each Input's settings, but I didn't need to even even refer to those.

·
Registered
14,657 Posts
So, I don’t think Emotiva was “that” much worse than other companies but for some reason, people seem to be very passionate towards Emotiva - both for and against.

But as long as they provide high performance great value products like the XMC2, I’ll be buying Emotiva products. It’s the best value at $3k and I’m a UFL customer so it’s waaaay cheaper than Monoprice or anyone else.

Can’t go against that kind of value.
I totally agree with you that the value of the XMC-2 is very good. I'm a UFL customer also and still have a 40% discount card stashed away as well.

I honestly can't think of another company that announces processors when actual release dates are several years out.

Bill

Reactions: M3 adjuster

·
Registered
407 Posts
I totally agree with you that the value of the XMC-2 is very good. I'm a UFL customer also and still have a 40% discount card stashed away as well.

I honestly can't think of another company that announces processors when actual release dates are several years out.

Bill
Outlaw Audio would be one that comes to mind. The 976 was years behind schedule and its “Atmos” capable sibling has yet to see the light of day. I’m not sure if they even talk about it anymore. Outside of their own 976, they’re happily selling Marantz branded processors.

Parasound was also working on a processor (I believe it was the C3) around the same time that Emotiva was developing the UMC-1, but scrapped the entire project.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
UFL customers? What’s that? Ultra F%#*ing Loyal is my best guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was wondering the same thing.
"Upgrade for life" – "original owners (purchasers) of Emotiva processors before May 1, 2015" get 25% off on every processor they will ever produce. I'm one of these guys :eek: Expect to use it once they produce something that is not just an alpha release and way past beta. Not sure if I will ever get that old though considering the time that has passed since then :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
UFL customers? What’s that? Ultra F%#*ing Loyal is my best guess.
Was wondering the same thing.
"Upgrade for Life" was a loyalty program offered by Emotiva which was introduced with the release of the UMC-200 and ended not long after the release of the XMC-1. It offers a flat 25% discount off of all future Emotiva processors... "for life".

It was a direct replacement of the "40% Discount Card" which only offered said discount on the purchase of one "next generation" processor. UFL also extends the same 25% discount on the purchase of up to two (of the same) processors by the UFL member (you can buy one for yourself and one for someone else), but the program has been closed to new members for several years.

Emotiva still honors the UFL discount for qualifying members.

·
Registered
860 Posts
In that case I’m going to need one of you UFL guys to straw purchase a XMC-2 for me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So, I don’️t think Emotiva was “that” much worse than other companies but for some reason, people seem to be very passionate towards Emotiva - both for and against.

But as long as they provide high performance great value products like the XMC2, I’️ll be buying Emotiva products. It’️s the best value at $3k and I’️m a UFL customer so it’️s waaaay cheaper than Monoprice or anyone else.

Can’️t go against that kind of value.

Bill
I agree. The announcements then redesign then delays, really tarnished Emotiva’s image especially on these forums.

The UFL really makes the Emotiva Processors at the top of my list. Hard to beat $2250 for the XMC2.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
So the sad history is starting to reveal. ;) :D
I consider this common knowledge. If not I can tell you some really interesting stories :D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I consider this common knowledge. If not I can tell you some really interesting stories :D
If you do plan to tell more 'stories', would you please do it via pm and leave this thread for owners and potential owners to help each other to get the most out of their XMC-2's.
Thanks and have a nice day,
Tom

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
If you do plan to tell more 'stories', would you please do it via pm and leave this thread for owners and potential owners to help each other to get the most out of their XMC-2's.
Thanks and have a nice day,
Tom
Depends on how that "help" looks like. A story or two from the past might be helpful too. We'll see.

You have a nice day too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Apologies, I only see where to post a reply, not where to just 'Post' for a new 'Post"... If someone could point me to the correct button that would be great.

I am wondering if there will be an XMC2 iOS /Andriod App. I have the App for the XMC 1, but it won't work with the XMC 2 that arrived a few days ago. It's pretty handy.

On a side note, I'd prefer a backlit remote than one made of metal. Impractical in the dark unless you are beating off intruders.

On a side, side note, my XMC 2 arrived and nothing (switching, zone 2, you name it) worked properly. I installed the new firmware update and everything works perfectly, so there is hope if you are having problems.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Depends on how that "help" looks like. A story or two from the past might be helpful too. We'll see.

You have a nice day too.

You guys were killing me with your analogy war. But some stories maybe more helpful next time. Saying that I’ll admit I didn’t completely read the entire forum feud so I could have missed the story. Personally I have no experience with Emotiva products or CS so I in that since the stories of someone’s experience with Emotiva can be relevant and helpful.
Right now I’m just trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the XMC-2 so I can take advantage of the Emobucks to put towards an XPA amp. Which would work out around $900 off the XPA-11 for me, a 45% discount even better than UFL. But also I don’t want to be a Beta user either. I’m between a Bird in the Hand and a Hard place.

·
Registered
860 Posts
On a side note, I'd prefer a backlit remote than one made of metal. Impractical in the dark unless you are beating off intruders.
Well at least there would be a happy ending.
Apologies you tossed it up so I had to hit out the park. Analogies coming up again.

341 - 360 of 519 Posts