AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 649 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi, I have an XMC-2 on the way and just got done building two HST-18 subs with a dsp-14000 clone amp. I was planning on running one xlr to the amp from the center channel set on LFE. I still need to figure out how to use rews but do I need this splitter or can I just run a Y or daisy chain the xlr inputs on the amp. I'm fairly novice. I almost would love to find some in California to help me out lol.
Y cable works fine for 2 subs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi. From your experienced, connected the 3 subwoofers to each of XLR out from the XMC-2 give you better overall sound than connecting 3 subwoofers using Minidsp (just set gain and delay without PEQ) and connected the minidsp to XMC-2 XLR subwoofer out (XMC-2 sees it as only 1 subwoofer)? By any chance, do you check the freq response using REW, for each of these setting? Thank you.
It's better to connect multiple subs to a single output (Center Subwoofer) using a Y cable, splitter or miniDSP.

The reason this is better is that if you connect to the three sub outputs Dirac measures and corrects the subs separately, not running together. The major benefit of multiple subs (properly placed around the room) is that they work together to cancel resonance modes and give a more uniform response. If you connect to three outputs and let Dirac correct them separately, the resulting sum of the responses will be unpredictable. You will definitely have higher output, but there may be peaks and nulls due to overlapping filter correction.

Yes I use REW to check every change in my room - bass traps, speaker positions, Dirac calibration - so I (and others) have verified that measured results are better if you connect multiple subs to a single output and let Dirac correct it as one sub.

The advantage of using the miniDSP is if your subs are different distances from the MLP you can adjust their time delays so they are aligned to each other. Then Dirac aligns the result to the other speakers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's better to connect multiple subs to a single output (Center Subwoofer) using a Y cable, splitter or miniDSP.

The reason this is better is that if you connect to the three sub outputs Dirac measures and corrects the subs separately, not running together. The major benefit of multiple subs (properly placed around the room) is that they work together to cancel resonance modes and give a more uniform response. If you connect to three outputs and let Dirac correct them separately, the resulting sum of the responses will be unpredictable. You will definitely have higher output, but there may be peaks and nulls due to overlapping filter correction.

Yes I use REW to check every change in my room - bass traps, speaker positions, Dirac calibration - so I (and others) have verified that measured results are better if you connect multiple subs to a single output and let Dirac correct it as one sub.

The advantage of using the miniDSP is if your subs are different distances from the MLP you can adjust their time delays so they are aligned to each other. Then Dirac aligns the result to the other speakers.
Yes, I meant if the 2 or 3 of the subwoofer all is not the same distance from the MLP. So, in this case all subs going going to minidsp and then I adjusted the gain and delay without peq and then connected minidsp to center subwoofer out on XMC-1 and let dirac do the rest correct? Sorry if I repeated the questions. Just to make sure I got it right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, I meant if the 2 or 3 of the subwoofer all is not the same distance from the MLP. So, in this case all subs going going to minidsp and then I adjusted the gain and delay without peq and then connected minidsp to center subwoofer out on XMC-1 and let dirac do the rest correct? Sorry if I repeated the questions. Just to make sure I got it right.
Yes that's right! :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm running the most current firmware and it's running near perfection for a few days. Till this morning when the XMC-2 wouldn't power on. Hard power down three times didn't resolve it. I tried pressing the power button but not till 20+ presses till it finally turned on. But once it was on the XMC-2 was slowed and freeze up. Nothing I did would resolved the problem. I had to do a factory reset.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now whenever I use or swtich to hdmi arc input the xmc 2 freezes...or slows to a crawl. If I switch out of the hdmi arc input it works normally again..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Now whenever I use or swtich to hdmi arc input the xmc 2 freezes...or slows to a crawl. If I switch out of the hdmi arc input it works normally again..
Alas, very frustrating I'm sure.

Try turning off the rear power switch AND pull the AC line cord. Also disconnect all HDMI inputs and outputs. Also unplug your HDMI sources (TV, streamers, disc player, etc). Leave it unplugged a few minutes and power it up with no HDMI connections. If it boots okay, then connect your HDMI cables and turn on your HDMI sources. If it does not come up okay, try the 6-second power button press (still with HDMI disconnected).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm about to do this this weekend. So i should only use the dsp to align the subs and not the peq? dirac will flatten the curve and boost the lower end?
That's the recommended way to do it. Align the subs to each other with the time delay. Dirac will align the combined subs to the other speakers and Dirac will do the frequency response correction of the combined output of the subs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Alas, very frustrating I'm sure.

Try turning off the rear power switch AND pull the AC line cord. Also disconnect all HDMI inputs and outputs. Also unplug your HDMI sources (TV, streamers, disc player, etc). Leave it unplugged a few minutes and power it up with no HDMI connections. If it boots okay, then connect your HDMI cables and turn on your HDMI sources. If it does not come up okay, try the 6-second power button press (still with HDMI disconnected).
I did that and it fixed the slow/freeze. But no sound with arc at all now...

Edit: OK after another reboot, magically everything is working again! I am able to get Atmos and vision to work simultaneously. It wouldn't work before. Sounds amazing now! Thanks for your help!

Edit: Yeah Arc is still a hit or miss. Sometimes I wouldn't get sound and switching input fixes it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did that and it fixed the slow/freeze. But no sound with arc at all now...

Edit: OK after another reboot, magically everything is working again! I am able to get Atmos and vision to work simultaneously. It wouldn't work before. Sounds amazing now! Thanks for your help!

Edit: Yeah Arc is still a hit or miss. Sometimes I wouldn't get sound and switching input fixes it.
Yes, if you look at the Emotiva forum ARC is a can-o-worms still.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's the recommended way to do it. Align the subs to each other with the time delay. Dirac will align the combined subs to the other speakers and Dirac will do the frequency response correction of the combined output of the subs.
Thanks. I believe I got them aligned yesterday now just have to wait for my Dirac to be approved

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm trying to run Dirac but Dirac live 3 software can not find my XMC-2. Do I need to change any settings inside my XMC-2 for it to see it on the software?

Also is it normal to see "Dirac Live in speaker setup say "not available"?

EDIT: I can't enable Dirac on the processor?!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm trying to run Dirac but Dirac live 3 software can not find my XMC-2. Do I need to change any settings inside my XMC-2 for it to see it on the software?

Also is it normal to see "Dirac Live in speaker setup say "not available"?

EDIT: I can't enable Dirac on the processor?!
Have you received your "Dirac Kit" from Emotiva?

Did you receive your "Dirac Welcome" e-mail and respond to it to register the MAC address of the unit with Emotiva, who in turn register the device with Dirac? If not see this link for further information diraclive

"The Lounge" is also a far better source of information than here - see this thread for example with lots of great links and resources for Dirac The Official Dirac Live Thread : G3P (start w/posts 1,2,3) | The Emotiva Lounge

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have you received your "Dirac Kit" from Emotiva?

Did you receive your "Dirac Welcome" e-mail and respond to it to register the MAC address of the unit with Emotiva, who in turn register the device with Dirac? If not see this link for further information diraclive

"The Lounge" is also a far better source of information than here - see this thread for example with lots of great links and resources for Dirac The Official Dirac Live Thread : G3P (start w/posts 1,2,3) | The Emotiva Lounge
Yes to all the question above. I also just registered with the lounge.
Why can't I enable Dirac on the processor?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes to all the question above. I also just registered with the lounge.
Why can't I enable Dirac on the processor?
Perhaps your networking kit isn't funcitoning properly - clutching at straws here, happily mine just worked right out the box. You have the kit on the same network as the XMC-2?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Perhaps your networking kit isn't funcitoning properly - clutching at straws here, happily mine just worked right out the box. You have the kit on the same network as the XMC-2?
I found out it was my wireless adapter. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I use dirac on my xmc2! Rew eq does a bettet job! Soundstage allways wrong! The voices are coming from 1 speaker only! 3d sound like Roger waters album amused to death sounds backwards! Have 2.1 firmvare and The latest dirac! I Have tried to only do The bass up to 200hz and fullrange to! Its better when I let dirac do up to 24khz, The voices are coming from The middle.... But Its Hard to hear that anyway! Much bettet without dirac

581 - 600 of 649 Posts