AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 784 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Per my earlier posts regarding "no device found" when initiating the Dirac app, I do believe the network interface has to be hooked up even for simple discovery. My first attempt with the network interface hooked up and Dirac "enabled" on the processor was a fail as I was still getting the "no device found" in the Dirac app. I was about to give up but, when I disabled Dirac on the processor, I noticed the OSD now indicated "not available" and I could not re-enable Dirac. It seems this network interface is a little finicky and will allow enabling Dirac even though it has not truly connected. So I simply power cycled the network interface and was able to enable Dirac on the processor again. And, lo and behold, the Dirac app finally found my RMC1-L.
As an aside, when I log into Dirac, I still have no licenses. It's puzzling to me now why Emotiva sent a license authorization request to Dirac and did not simply inform me that I did not need to request the Dirac license. Not positive, but I think the license is embedded in the network interface. I would be willing to bet the license is on the micro SD card inserted in the Raspberry Pi interface.
The license is tied to the MAC address of your RMC. Did you submit your MAC address on the Emotiva site? diraclive It takes a couple days for Dirac to activate once you submit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on replacing my Marantz AV7704 with the Emotiva XMC-2. I run a 9.2 setup and all my amps are Emotiva X series and all speakers are Polk LSIM. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was seriously considering AV8805/AV7705 or AV7706 and due to some HDMI 2.1 bugs in the later, bought XMC-2.
Previously had Denon AVR.
XMC-2 sounds great right out of the box even w/o any calibrations.
On the donwside its menu is ackward vs DM and some patience may be needed to navigate + some features missing like wifi but after few days I can tell I am happy with my purchase. There is one minor thing/bug: some occasional sound pops at changing input sources but they are not very audible and as far as I know they are working on addressing this via firmware update. I m on firmware 2.1.
So far I managed to load Dirac filter (loading it is also bit ackward by connecting additional devices) but I need to tweak it after changing one of my main amps for LCR.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I ran Dirac for the first time last night and I don't think the results are good. Vocals on stereo music seem to come from both speakers but more so from the left speaker. I have KEF speakers, which have fantastic imaging, and I have always achieved a perfectly "centered" image for vocals with Audyssey. Part of the problem is that I am not even certain that I have Dirac engaged or how to check to see what Dirac did with speaker levels and distance/delays. Hoping I can get some help with the following questions:
  1. I saved the Dirac calibration as "First Run" under Preset 1 and selected "First Run" in the menu. But then I checked the XMC app and the only options are Preset 1, Preset 2, and Dirac. Was I correct to select "First Run" or should I select Dirac ?
  2. Is there any way to view the results from Dirac in the processor menu ? It looks like all the speaker levels and distances are unchanged from my initial settings.
  3. What is the correct setting for mic gain ? Emotiva recommends setting it to -30 db in their video but I don't think this is correct. Another recommendation I see is to leave it at 100% and then another to ensure it is not picking up more than -50 db with background noise. I think these latter 2 recommendations make more sense.... leave it at 100% as long as background noise does not exceed -50 db in order to achieve best possible SNR.
  4. I had issues with the low end of the test signal creating a very noticeable rattling sound in my room. Not sure if it is my windows or something loose in the room. The Audyssey test signal was "less aggressive" and would not create such a racket in my room. Have others experienced something similar ? And is the best solution to set speaker output in the low end of the range ?
  5. I am thinking about picking up a Umik-2 mic for measurement. Are there any positive results replacing the Emotiva mic with a individually calibrated mic ? I'm not sure I trust this mic because my highs were rolling off very early and significantly on all my speakers.
I plan to run Dirac again today and hope to correct some of the errors in my first run and perhaps figure out what is rattling in my room

·
Registered
498 Posts
I ran Dirac for the first time last night and I don't think the results are good. Vocals on stereo music seem to come from both speakers but more so from the left speaker. I have KEF speakers, which have fantastic imaging, and I have always achieved a perfectly "centered" image for vocals with Audyssey. Part of the problem is that I am not even certain that I have Dirac engaged or how to check to see what Dirac did with speaker levels and distance/delays. Hoping I can get some help with the following questions:
  1. I saved the Dirac calibration as "First Run" under Preset 1 and selected "First Run" in the menu. But then I checked the XMC app and the only options are Preset 1, Preset 2, and Dirac. Was I correct to select "First Run" or should I select Dirac ?
  2. Is there any way to view the results from Dirac in the processor menu ? It looks like all the speaker levels and distances are unchanged from my initial settings.
  3. What is the correct setting for mic gain ? Emotiva recommends setting it to -30 db in their video but I don't think this is correct. Another recommendation I see is to leave it at 100% and then another to ensure it is not picking up more than -50 db with background noise. I think these latter 2 recommendations make more sense.... leave it at 100% as long as background noise does not exceed -50 db in order to achieve best possible SNR.
  4. I had issues with the low end of the test signal creating a very noticeable rattling sound in my room. Not sure if it is my windows or something loose in the room. The Audyssey test signal was "less aggressive" and would not create such a racket in my room. Have others experienced something similar ? And is the best solution to set speaker output in the low end of the range ?
  5. I am thinking about picking up a Umik-2 mic for measurement. Are there any positive results replacing the Emotiva mic with a individually calibrated mic ? I'm not sure I trust this mic because my highs were rolling off very early and significantly on all my speakers.
I plan to run Dirac again today and hope to correct some of the errors in my first run and perhaps figure out what is rattling in my room
You should be fine with the mic gain at 100%. Definitely don’t want too much rattle in the room during the calibration so might want to use lower levels. It doesn’t have to be in the green although that’s what they recommend. I have to have everything lower than the green area. What made the biggest difference for me was mic positions. I was trying to copy the diagram they show in Dirac, but that’s not always the way to go. I had my best results by keeping the mic positions tight to the listening positions. All my positions were within the listening area, except for the two rear high positions. I had some bad peaks in the back corners of my room: I noticed them from some rattling and confirmed them with REW measurements. So I had Dirac measure in those areas also. Audible results, and REW measurements both confirmed good results.
And also, REW is really the only way to confirm what Dirac is or isn’t doing.
Also, you will find more help in the Dirac thread, so you may want to look there for more help.

Reactions: lombarmj

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
^ Thanks for the feedback dwander. I did post in the Dirac thread and seems to be agreement that leaving mic gain at 100% is ideal.
I think I got a good result this time but I won't know for sure until I listen to some stereo music to see if the imaging is good for vocals.
I did discover that "distance" settings disappear when using a Dirac filter but the speaker levels are still the same as my original settings. So does Dirac not set speaker levels ? I'm not too concerned as I typically tweaked the levels after running Audyssey. Audyssey was just OK at setting levels but spot on for distances and I think it is definitely more critical for room correction to set the distances or delays.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Another question came to mind. I was thinking I would like to try one of the Harman curves using my recent measurements. Is there no way to access these measurements without connecting to the processor ?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Another question came to mind. I was thinking I would like to try one of the Harman curves using my recent measurements. Is there no way to access these measurements without connecting to the processor ?
I’m not sure how the levels work in connection with Dirac, bc I never got to use it with my Emotiva, but Dirac is supposed to set the levels. I found their levels to be spot on but they do bump the center a few dB which I didn’t know.
If you saved the measurements then you should be able to access them on Your computer. Can’t remember if you need to be connected to the processor to mess with saved Measurements though.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I’m not sure how the levels work in connection with Dirac, bc I never got to use it with my Emotiva, but Dirac is supposed to set the levels. I found their levels to be spot on but they do bump the center a few dB which I didn’t know.
If you saved the measurements then you should be able to access them on Your computer. Can’t remember if you need to be connected to the processor to mess with saved Measurements though.
I got confirmation on the Dirac thread that Dirac does set levels/trims independent of any manual speaker level settings. Just wish Emotiva would show this somewhere in the speaker/preset menu. It's confusing because I still see my manual level settings after selecting my Dirac filter and no indication that any other trims are in effect. The HTP-1 has a nice UI showing trims and delays set by Dirac and you can even manually add or subtract to these values in the UI. I don't mind my center being .5 dB hot but not much more than that.
So far I see no way to do anything in the Dirac app without first connecting to the processor. I think Dirac should change that. What would it hurt to be able to apply, tweak, and save different target curves and then connect to the processor later on to import the filters.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I posted this on the Dirac thread but I am curious if anyone is experiencing an imaging problem after applying a Dirac filter ? On 2-channel music, all vocals are shifted to the left speaker. I have always achieved dead center vocal imaging with my Marantz AV8802A and Audyssey. And I have KEF towers with the latest Uni-Q, well known for fantastic imaging. This is my second calibration run with the same imaging issue. Otherwise, sound is detailed and clear and is at least as good as anything I achieved with Audyssey.
I wanted to post on the Emo Lounge but Emotiva has yet to approve my forum account.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I posted this on the Dirac thread but I am curious if anyone is experiencing an imaging problem after applying a Dirac filter ? On 2-channel music, all vocals are shifted to the left speaker. I have always achieved dead center vocal imaging with my Marantz AV8802A and Audyssey. And I have KEF towers with the latest Uni-Q, well known for fantastic imaging. This is my second calibration run with the same imaging issue. Otherwise, sound is detailed and clear and is at least as good as anything I achieved with Audyssey.
I wanted to post on the Emo Lounge but Emotiva has yet to approve my forum account.
I have been chasing a problem like this for a while. I attributed it to a room reflection problem at first (which was part of it) but now I see others in the Emotiva forum saying similar things. I think it's a phase issue because it isn't really corrected by increasing volume on the other channel. It does not seem specific to Dirac 3.0.13. I had it when I was running 3.0.11 also.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Correct. It’s a bit of a pain but the processor has to be connected to Dirac before you can load your saved projects.
I tried the 4 different Harmon curves and found the 6 dB file the best for my room. Without the Harmon curve Dirac sounds a bit hollow now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes same here with the imaging issue. One disclosure is that I don’t have a dead center seat as I have a 4 seat theatre couch. I try to put on of the middle seats closer to the middle position but its still off center.
I’ve tried all morning to try to figure out the issue but no avail. I ended up boosting the RF +2.0 dB and lowering the LF -2.0 dB.
Also the 9 point measurement was the best for 2 channel listening but I also did a 13 point in case my family want to watch movies. Because of the way Emotiva has the speaker settings, I had to load 1 Dirac setting in preset 1, then had to disconnect and reconnect after switching to preset 2. Not bad but you are limited to 2 Dirac modes that can be switched easily.
Both cases had the image off center so I don’t know what’s up.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have been chasing a problem like this for a while. I attributed it to a room reflection problem at first (which was part of it) but now I see others in the Emotiva forum saying similar things. I think it's a phase issue because it isn't really corrected by increasing volume on the other channel. It does not seem specific to Dirac 3.0.13. I had it when I was running 3.0.11 also.
I agree, something is not right with how phase and/or delays are being handled. In theory, Dirac should be even better than Audyssey for imaging but that is definitely not what I am hearing. Sound quality is otherwise excellent but I don't want to give up the imaging and instrument and vocal separation I had previously. I have all KEF speakers, in large part, because I love that they image so well. I will probably box up and return my RMC1-L.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree, something is not right with how phase and/or delays are being handled. In theory, Dirac should be even better than Audyssey for imaging but that is definitely not what I am hearing. Sound quality is otherwise excellent but I don't want to give up the imaging and instrument and vocal separation I had previously. I have all KEF speakers, in large part, because I love that they image so well. I will probably box up and return my RMC1-L.
I initially had similar problems with the perceived performance of DIRAC LIVE with my RMC-1. Sonic imaging as well as delay times seemed VERY askew, rendering DIRAC LIVE unusable. After troubleshooting with DIRAC support, it turned out to be problematic audio recordings from the microphone. My Apple authorized USB-A to USB-C adapter for my 2016 MacBookPro (USB-C only) was severely compromising the integrity of the audio path creating distorted audio that DIRAC LIVE was attempting to process. I promptly swapped out the adapter and used one of the USB ports on a OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock to get to the MacBookPro and ALL WAS RESOLVED. I hope someone finds this small but crucial detail helpful.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
^
I was using a Windows 10 PC and no USB adapter but I wonder if I should have tried a USB 2 input instead of USB 3. Every once in awhile I still find some compatibility issues with some devices on USB 3. For instance, my Xrite i1 Display Pro colorimeter will not work properly on my laptop's USB 3 input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you guys are having a good experience with 2.1 update. I, however, am not. Static issues worse, changing inputs stopped working as well, and the distance settings of the speakers are reversed. Let. me explain the last one. I downloaded the new 2.1 update. Installed it no problems. set the distance and level settings back. Listen to some stereo music and is sounds terrible. There is no imaging. Played some songs I know that image the vocals in the middle, and its way off. After a while of double checking everything I stared to play with the distance settings. It appears that the center distance setting actually controls the front right speaker. They are reversed. Anyone else having this problem?
I just got my XMC-2 (upgrade from XMC-1) and I noticed the exact same thing that you've experienced. My unit came with the firmware 2.1. After DiracLive calibration, stereo imaging is completely off. The middle vocal seems to louder on the right channel. It just sounds diffused and awful. I thought "Reference Stereo" mode supposed to bypass all signal processing, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The only way to get stereo imaging back is not to use Dirac at all. I can do this by switching to Preset 2 for music, but I don't want to do that all the time just to listen to some music. Even for watching movies, Dirac calibrated setting sounds worse than "user" mode. It's really disappointing, because with XMC-1 Dirac really helped bring out the details.

This whole channel switching bug has been plaguing many Emotiva units going back to UMC-1 (I started with that unit and have been upgrading since). This is just frustrating. They eventually fix these bugs with the firmware upgrade, but that can take years before they address all the problems. Were you able to resolve this issue?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know what you guys mean. Not sure which Dirac calibration you did but please try calibrating with all speakers around -25dB. Also choose the tightly focused 9 point measurement and make sure the outside points don’t go beyond arms on a chairs and keep that plane consistent.
After the measurement if the center imaging is off - raise one side by 2dB and lower the other by - 2dB. The crossover points should be done based on the Dirac curve. But also do the curtains at 1kHz (or less) and apply the 6dB Harmon curve. Let me know if you have achieved audio bliss 😬

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not sure way some of you guys are having Dirac issues with sound quality. The imaging, soundstage, and center focus sound damn good. I also choose the tightly focused 9 point measurement for 2 stereo listening.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quesiton, do you know how to remedy the situation when there is no sound when restarting a movie playback after a longer pause on Panasonic UHD UB player ? and how to restore the sound w/o the need to restart the device. Thanks.

721 - 740 of 784 Posts