AVS Forum banner

761 - 780 of 784 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
So a fellow Emoforum member asked me to try to load the project saved from 2.5.3 to 3.0.13 and vice versa. I agreed to load the 2.5.3 to 3.0.11 since 3.0.13 causes the Dirac software to crash and causes me to reset the XMC2.

I was able to successfully load the project and upload the filter. I’m not sure what Dirac did but it sounds a lot better using Dirac v3.0.11.

I don’t know the inner workings of Dirac but this sounds so awesome...this is all I really care about. My Revels are singing some good tunes! Feel like Norah Jones (one of my favorite tests) is singing in front me. :) It could be just louder - who knows - it just sounds pretty dam good is all I know, especially the bass, it’s much more authoritative.
Sounds like it's just random luck what result you get and I don't think it's Dirac's fault... Maybe there is something wrong in the data transfer between Dirac and the external "black box" or something wrong between the "black box" and the XMC-2. Or maybe there is some weird bug, for example if your XMC-2 happens to have certain channel setup only then this problem appears. Or maybe Emotiva's Dirac implementation has low limit how many correction points it can do and that causes these variations. I guess we'll never know.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like it's just random luck what result you get and I don't think it's Dirac's fault... Maybe there is something wrong in the data transfer between Dirac and the external "black box" or something wrong between the "black box" and the XMC-2. Or maybe there is some weird bug, for example if your XMC-2 happens to have certain channel setup only then this problem appears. Or maybe Emotiva's Dirac implementation has low limit how many correction points it can do and that causes these variations. I guess we'll never know.
Everything that you raised are excellent points. Because there isn’t a screen that shows the result of Dirac with respect to level and/or delays in the Emotiva processors it’s literally trial and error. I have a 7.1 setup and my center sub is set to mono - but yes the number of variations and the question of whether it makes a difference or not...bottom line Emotiva needs to duplicate the issue (a big hopeful there) then fix it. I have already raised this issue but with it being an intermittent issue, it might be tough to figure out. I don’t feel bad for me because my imaging is fine but I feel bad for others who can’t get this resolved.
The enhancement we need is a Dirac results page for levels and delays and the ability to adjust ie fine tune post Dirac. Even allow for PEQ post Dirac. OR just fix so we don’t have these issues :).

·
Registered
13,858 Posts
The enhancement we need is a Dirac results page for levels and delays and the ability to adjust ie fine tune post Dirac. Even allow for PEQ post Dirac.
You can do this with a HTP-1 :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
You can do this with a HTP-1 :)
I thought I read that before on that unit. It’s really an excellent feature that’s lends to enhanced flexibility.

I think where I stand with the XMC2 is that it currently supports everything I need in terms of inputs, outputs, surround sound formats and channels. DLBC may be something in the future (whenever that happens or if it does) but the way my 1 sub is integrated now, I’m not sitting around waiting for DLBC.

I’m pretty much done with upgrades so this XMC2 that provides an outstanding front end sonically and is very simple to use (for me), I’m planning on riding it out until the XMC2 is obsolete (forget the propaganda, processors will eventually become obsolete). So at least the next 3-5 years? Then I’ll reevaluate.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Emotiva / pre pro issues seem even less important today than it was yesterday with all the events going on in the capitol. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone, new XMC-2 owner here. So far I'm pretty happy with the unit, I was having the processor freeze up quite a bit at first but I think I've got it mostly ironed out and working correctly now. Just in case anyone else is in this situation, this is what I've done to get it working with CEC enabled:

Only one device connected to HDMI 1 - Nvidia SHIELD 2017
HDMI 2 out with a 4k 18 gbps cable going to a TCL 6 series 65r617 TV on input HDMI 3
HDMI 3 is the ARC port on the TV but I have ARC disabled on the TV itself

Emotiva Setup
Firmware 2.1 running 5.1 setup with subwoofer center set to mono going to MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Dirac Live is setup and enabled setup
I have CEC enabled for Power On, Power Off, and Volume Control. Not using the remote for IR volume or power, only using CEC.
HDMI 1 input is set to HDMI 2.0 with standby set to lowest power not VSO

I was getting frequent lockups that required a hard reset. The thing that seems to have fixed it for me is disconnecting the network cable from the unit when it doesn't need connection. It seems that was causing most of my issues. Not sure why but as soon as I stopped leaving that connected my lock ups seem to have stopped.

One quirk is that sometimes with CEC, the devices don't all turn on in the correct order so my SHIELD will go back to sleep before the XMC-2 is fully booted. Pressing a button on the SHIELD remote to wake the unit back up and all is well.

I did have a bug today where when it booted up there was a loud static noise playing. I had to power off the unit with the remote and boot it back up. It did not require a hard reset.

Now, for my first question. Does anyone know how to change the crossover point for the subwoofer? I have been unable to find where to modify that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Make sure that you've updated to the latest firmware. What you're describing sounds like the types of issues that were present in previous versions. I'm not sure what the most current version is, but I think 2.1 may be a few iterations back.

Also, congratulations on the XMC-2! It's actually an amazing piece of kit and you should be very pleased with it - especially once you've run Dirac Live. Don't let these issues put you off, once you're current on firmware it should be relatively smooth sailing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Make sure that you've updated to the latest firmware. What you're describing sounds like the types of issues that were present in previous versions. I'm not sure what the most current version is, but I think 2.1 may be a few iterations back.

Also, congratulations on the XMC-2! It's actually an amazing piece of kit and you should be very pleased with it - especially once you've run Dirac Live. Don't let these issues put you off, once you're current on firmware it should be relatively smooth sailing.
Thanks! I actually was running Dirac live for my home theater from a MiniDSP NanoAVR-DL before and a $200 Pioneer AVR so it sounded good but not great because the AVR was pretty low end. Moving to the XMC-2 and running an Outlaw 5000x amplifer with Dirac has been a HUGE jump in SQ and honestly the picture quality looks better to me as well but I could just be crazy. I wonder if the Pioneer was doing anything to it? Either way, aside from a few of the bugs, I'm very happy with it.

Unfortunately I am on the latest firmware:

Hoping that maybe a new one will be released soon to address some of the issues, but overall I'm in a good spot for now unless things go off the rails for some reason.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Rd
Hello everyone, new XMC-2 owner here. So far I'm pretty happy with the unit, I was having the processor freeze up quite a bit at first but I think I've got it mostly ironed out and working correctly now. Just in case anyone else is in this situation, this is what I've done to get it working with CEC enabled:

Only one device connected to HDMI 1 - Nvidia SHIELD 2017
HDMI 2 out with a 4k 18 gbps cable going to a TCL 6 series 65r617 TV on input HDMI 3
HDMI 3 is the ARC port on the TV but I have ARC disabled on the TV itself

Emotiva Setup
Firmware 2.1 running 5.1 setup with subwoofer center set to mono going to MiniDSP 2x4 HD
Dirac Live is setup and enabled setup
I have CEC enabled for Power On, Power Off, and Volume Control. Not using the remote for IR volume or power, only using CEC.
HDMI 1 input is set to HDMI 2.0 with standby set to lowest power not VSO

I was getting frequent lockups that required a hard reset. The thing that seems to have fixed it for me is disconnecting the network cable from the unit when it doesn't need connection. It seems that was causing most of my issues. Not sure why but as soon as I stopped leaving that connected my lock ups seem to have stopped.

One quirk is that sometimes with CEC, the devices don't all turn on in the correct order so my SHIELD will go back to sleep before the XMC-2 is fully booted. Pressing a button on the SHIELD remote to wake the unit back up and all is well.

I did have a bug today where when it booted up there was a loud static noise playing. I had to power off the unit with the remote and boot it back up. It did not require a hard reset.

Now, for my first question. Does anyone know how to change the crossover point for the subwoofer? I have been unable to find where to modify that.
The crossover is set on the other speakers- Left, center, right etc. first set those to small and then follow the right arrow to the crossover setting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The crossover is set on the other speakers- Left, center, right etc. first set those to small and then follow the right arrow to the crossover setting.
Thank you good sir. I was used to it being a universal setting, not per speaker, so that's where I went wrong. I'll take a look at this tonight.

My second question would probably be more suited for the Dirac Live thread, but figure I'll give it a shot here first - I had to turn all 4 of my subwoofer's gain knobs to about 11 o'clock on the dial to keep it from clipping during the dirac calibration. Then, I applied the 10 dB Harman curve but it's still too low for my tastes. It's very clean bass but I'm missing all the chest hit and ULF couch shaking. So I turned the gain knob's back up to about 3 o'clock on my subs to get that back. Is it better to apply a higher curve in dirac vs turning the subs back up? I feel like i've read that you shouldn't boost more than 10 dB in Dirac.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thank you good sir. I was used to it being a universal setting, not per speaker, so that's where I went wrong. I'll take a look at this tonight.

My second question would probably be more suited for the Dirac Live thread, but figure I'll give it a shot here first - I had to turn all 4 of my subwoofer's gain knobs to about 11 o'clock on the dial to keep it from clipping during the dirac calibration. Then, I applied the 10 dB Harman curve but it's still too low for my tastes. It's very clean bass but I'm missing all the chest hit and ULF couch shaking. So I turned the gain knob's back up to about 3 o'clock on my subs to get that back. Is it better to apply a higher curve in dirac vs turning the subs back up? I feel like i've read that you shouldn't boost more than 10 dB in Dirac.
I do the same but I only have 1 sub. You would definitely benefit from DLBC so hopefully they will bring that out in this lifetime. During the Dirac volume calibration, I set my sub about 5 dB higher than my other speakers (that’s calibrated to the quietest speaker). This is the level that I keep my sub set at for music post Dirac. For movies, I have to raise to sub volume and I do as necessary (usually + 8-10 dB). I do the 6 dB Harmon curve btw. The 10 dB was too much for music at least for me. But yes after you do the 10 dB Harmon curve, I’d use the sub volume for adjustments.

You may get different responses in the Dirac thread but this is what I do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do the same but I only have 1 sub. You would definitely benefit from DLBC so hopefully they will bring that out in this lifetime. During the Dirac volume calibration, I set my sub about 5 dB higher than my other speakers (that’s calibrated to the quietest speaker). This is the level that I keep my sub set at for music post Dirac. For movies, I have to raise to sub volume and I do as necessary (usually + 8-10 dB). I do the 6 dB Harmon curve btw. The 10 dB was too much for music at least for me. But yes after you do the 10 dB Harmon curve, I’d use the sub volume for adjustments.

You may get different responses in the Dirac thread but this is what I do.
Thanks! I'll probably post in there as well, just to see what is said. I don't really see any other way to accomplish this since trim levels can't be set in the Emotiva with Dirac engaged.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks! I'll probably post in there as well, just to see what is said. I don't really see any other way to accomplish this since trim levels can't be set in the Emotiva with Dirac engaged.
After Dirac is run, you can increase the sub trim level (go under levels). Delays can’t be adjusted though.
The gotcha here is that none of the Dirac’s level changes are noted. If you have not changed any levels prior to running Dirac, all the values will be 0. Another quirk is that if you changed these values prior to Dirac, the level that had been previously set is the new 0.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have an XMC-2 on the way to me, along with a BasX A-700. The XPA-5 Gen1 I currently own will be driving my 5 bed channels, and the A-700 will be driving my 4 Atmos channels. The long term plan is to add an additional subwoofer, two rear surrounds, and two more Atmos channels, bringing me to 7.2.6. But for now it will be 5.1.4.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later once I get up and running, but my current concern is exactly how to wire everything up given Emotiva's oddities regarding phase/speaker polarity with their XLR jacks.

This thread on the Emotiva boards discusses this (Phase, Pin Outs, Sources, Amps, Speakers —What’s important? | The Emotiva Lounge) but I'm not sure what the definitive answers are when using not just Emotiva amps, but an Emotiva processor as well. For further reference, here is official literature from Emotiva describing what pins do what in their XLR jacks: Emotiva_Product-Info_Balanced_XLR_Pinouts.pdf

So to go over a few things:

1. I'll be hooking up the bed channel XLR pre-outs on the XMC-2 to the XLR inputs on my XPA-5 Gen1, using XLR cables from Monoprice.

2. I'll be hooking up the Atmos channel XLR pre-outs on the XMC-2 to the RCA inputs on the BasX A-700. This will require the use of XLR-RCA adaptors. This could be done using Emotiva's adaptors (Balanced XLR to Unbalanced RCA Adapter Interconnect), which still require the use of additional RCA interconnects. Emotiva says this about these adaptors: "When connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input on modern audio gear, the proper way to do so is to connect the non-inverted output on the balanced output to the unbalanced input, and leave the inverted output unconnected. Many adapter cables, designed primarily for use with microphones, short the unused output pin to ground. While most equipment, including ours, will tolerate this without damage, it is not recommended, and may unnecessarily stress the output circuitry on your processor or preamp. This adapter was specifically designed to work optimally on modern balanced audio gear - and leaves the unused output line unconnected."

Alternatively, I could purchase these (https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-XLR-Male-RCA-Cable/dp/B005KBM160/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=rca+to+xlr&qid=1610583912&sr=8-6&th=1) and then not have to use additional RCA interconnects as they're an all-in-one solution. However, I'm concerned about that paragraph from Emotiva that I quoted above. Which would be the best way to go here?

3. My HSU subwoofer does not have an XLR input, so it will also require the use of an XLR-RCA adaptor. I'm assuming that Emotiva's XLR-RCA adaptor is the way to go, since it terminates with a female RCA plug, perfect for connecting my existing RCA-RCA subwoofer cable.

NOW, that bring me to the question of how to wire speakers and adjust the subwoofer depending on how I do everything mentioned above. Which speakers should be wired reverse phase? What should be done with the subwoofer phase adjustment? I do understand that any switching of hot/cold speaker wires should be done at the amp, and NOT at the speaker as well, otherwise you're right back to square one. I also understand that Dirac does correct for phase to some degree, but I'd rather get the wiring correct to achieve absolute phase BEFORE running Dirac.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
After Dirac is run, you can increase the sub trim level (go under levels). Delays can’t be adjusted though.
The gotcha here is that none of the Dirac’s level changes are noted. If you have not changed any levels prior to running Dirac, all the values will be 0. Another quirk is that if you changed these values prior to Dirac, the level that had been previously set is the new 0.
I did not know this! I thought I read that levels couldn't be adjusted after dirac, I should have checked.

So I had the sub level set at - 6 before dirac and it was still set to - 6 with dirac on running 10 dB Harman curve. I turned my subs gain knobs down to 2 o'clock. I then adjusted the trim in the xmc-2 to 0 dB. I'll do some testing and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea, that was the thing for me. v1.10 was supposed to be stable which is why i bought but i still had issues. Wasnt all the time but enough to be annoying and frustrating. I was still hanging in until Dirac came out. But when they released the Dirac firmware v2.0 people were having so many issues that it pushed me over the edge and i returned it and bought something else. Just last week they released v2.1 and for the most part people seem to be happy with it, and i think they addressed issues with DTS Neural X which was one of my big issues. So its hard to say how it will work for you. I think youll find people very happy, and also people very frustrated. Ultimately im happy with the decision i made, but i do wonder if 2.1 would have solved all my issues as the XMC-2 was a good amount less than the unit i switched to.
Hey psxpat, did you replace your unit with a HTP-1 and if so how diff was the audio between the Xmc-2 vs the HTP? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
381 Posts
I did not know this! I thought I read that levels couldn't be adjusted after dirac, I should have checked.

So I had the sub level set at - 6 before dirac and it was still set to - 6 with dirac on running 10 dB Harman curve. I turned my subs gain knobs down to 2 o'clock. I then adjusted the trim in the xmc-2 to 0 dB. I'll do some testing and see how it sounds.
Cool. This is one of the areas where Emotiva can improve the Dirac integration. The speaker setup appears to be designed for PEQ and while Dirac was always in their plans, the implementation seems a bit choppy. But either way if your issue is resolved and my setup sounds great, then maybe it’s nothing to really worry about.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have an XMC-2 on the way to me, along with a BasX A-700. The XPA-5 Gen1 I currently own will be driving my 5 bed channels, and the A-700 will be driving my 4 Atmos channels. The long term plan is to add an additional subwoofer, two rear surrounds, and two more Atmos channels, bringing me to 7.2.6. But for now it will be 5.1.4.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later once I get up and running, but my current concern is exactly how to wire everything up given Emotiva's oddities regarding phase/speaker polarity with their XLR jacks.

This thread on the Emotiva boards discusses this (Phase, Pin Outs, Sources, Amps, Speakers —What’s important? | The Emotiva Lounge) but I'm not sure what the definitive answers are when using not just Emotiva amps, but an Emotiva processor as well. For further reference, here is official literature from Emotiva describing what pins do what in their XLR jacks: Emotiva_Product-Info_Balanced_XLR_Pinouts.pdf

So to go over a few things:

1. I'll be hooking up the bed channel XLR pre-outs on the XMC-2 to the XLR inputs on my XPA-5 Gen1, using XLR cables from Monoprice.

2. I'll be hooking up the Atmos channel XLR pre-outs on the XMC-2 to the RCA inputs on the BasX A-700. This will require the use of XLR-RCA adaptors. This could be done using Emotiva's adaptors (Balanced XLR to Unbalanced RCA Adapter Interconnect), which still require the use of additional RCA interconnects. Emotiva says this about these adaptors: "When connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input on modern audio gear, the proper way to do so is to connect the non-inverted output on the balanced output to the unbalanced input, and leave the inverted output unconnected. Many adapter cables, designed primarily for use with microphones, short the unused output pin to ground. While most equipment, including ours, will tolerate this without damage, it is not recommended, and may unnecessarily stress the output circuitry on your processor or preamp. This adapter was specifically designed to work optimally on modern balanced audio gear - and leaves the unused output line unconnected."

Alternatively, I could purchase these (https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-XLR-Male-RCA-Cable/dp/B005KBM160/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=rca+to+xlr&qid=1610583912&sr=8-6&th=1) and then not have to use additional RCA interconnects as they're an all-in-one solution. However, I'm concerned about that paragraph from Emotiva that I quoted above. Which would be the best way to go here?

3. My HSU subwoofer does not have an XLR input, so it will also require the use of an XLR-RCA adaptor. I'm assuming that Emotiva's XLR-RCA adaptor is the way to go, since it terminates with a female RCA plug, perfect for connecting my existing RCA-RCA subwoofer cable.

NOW, that bring me to the question of how to wire speakers and adjust the subwoofer depending on how I do everything mentioned above. Which speakers should be wired reverse phase? What should be done with the subwoofer phase adjustment? I do understand that any switching of hot/cold speaker wires should be done at the amp, and NOT at the speaker as well, otherwise you're right back to square one. I also understand that Dirac does correct for phase to some degree, but I'd rather get the wiring correct to achieve absolute phase BEFORE running Dirac.

Thanks in advance!
I purchased the Emotiva xlr to rca cables and they worked eally well with the amp that I have that doesn’t have XLR inputs. I also changed the speaker +/- on the XPR2 when I had it and it was fine - this was all before the XMC2 had Dirac.

I’m reading that Dirac takes care of the phase issues so I’m not sure if it even matters anymore.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey psxpat, did you replace your unit with a HTP-1 and if so how diff was the audio between the Xmc-2 vs the HTP? Thanks in advance
I’m not sure if you were asking me or not but i did get the htp-1. There are some differences in the sound. I thought the XMC 2 was just a little too bright for my tastes. The monolith was just slightly less harsh on the treble.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I purchased the Emotiva xlr to rca cables and they worked eally well with the amp that I have that doesn’t have XLR inputs. I also changed the speaker +/- on the XPR2 when I had it and it was fine - this was all before the XMC2 had Dirac.

I’m reading that Dirac takes care of the phase issues so I’m not sure if it even matters anymore.
I've read that Dirac takes care of it "to some extent" so I'd really prefer to get the wiring correct before running Dirac. Any other insight would be very helpful; I can't imagine I'm the only person running an Emotiva processor with Emotiva amps.

761 - 780 of 784 Posts